• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

KHBIv44.jpg

And Gilbert in 1988.

9A8Venj.jpg

h78PDoG.gif

Diablos

Holy shit. Katrina looks weak in comparison... and we all know how bad it really was. This cannot end well.

Please stay safe, Mexico GAF.

Biggest problem is the lack of lead time. You can say "lol idiots" to people chilling out and watching the storm come in, but the fact is that with basically no warning time... where do you go?

Anyway, stay safe Mexibros.

Hip Hop

Biggest problem is the lack of lead time. You can say "lol idiots" to people chilling out and watching the storm come in, but the fact is that with basically no warning time... where do you go?

Anyway, stay safe Mexibros.

Yeah, exactly. Or some of the poorer regions where they have no means to actually travel out of town. No other option exists but to stay put.

Konka

Banned
Holy shit. Katrina looks weak in comparison... and we all know how bad it really was. This cannot end well.

Please stay safe, Mexico GAF.

Katrina was much bigger and made it to 175 mph at her strongest. The danger was that the hurricane strength winds covered a much larger area. Hurricane force winds extended out 120 miles vs about ~25 miles for Patricia.

Pinhole eye storms are apparently extra fussy. It's hard to believe it could come up 30mb in 3 hours, but the satellite presentation is starting to look like it's falling to pieces in a hurry. The core is disrupted and resembles an awkward asymmetrical curved blob. The eye has filled in and, frankly, looks like it's starting to simply vanish into nothingness. Do we have any records for record weakening? This sort of thing usually happens in large open areas of water so it's possible that it's even more severely impacted by any sort of land interaction than normal.
200 mph winds?

is that unprecedented?
Yes, but we're well back below that intensity, if you don't mind perhaps "only" 160mph around landfall. It will be in a very small part of coastline and it's missing populated areas. We frankly lucked out.

Comparisons to historical storms like Katrina is hard to do because hurricanes all form differently and have different impacts. What can be stated-- Patricia was the most intense storm ever found in the western hemisphere and actual aircraft measurements make it a top 3 all-time globally. It may have been above the advertised 200mph for a bit on Friday morning but there was no plane in at the time and we'll never truly know its maximum strength. There has been no recorded storm that intensified as quickly at Patricia did through Thursday.

Why? El Nino in the pacific adds extra heat content, but the eastern pacific hurricane basin has had extremely warm water all year. Patricia is the 20th storm of 2015! There's no way to actually assign a cause of short-term (El Nino) versus long-term (climate change) by percentages or anything.

So this hurricane was flexing to show off its definition for the cameras but softened up before landfall, basically. Relatively, anyway.

Eusis

I wouldn't wish this storm on anyone but a small part of me wishes it would hit the U.S. instead only because the storm of the century may be the only thing that can convince republicans that climate change is motherfucking real! And convincing the majority party of the world's superpower is important to all of us!
Look where it came from. We'd be celebrating the end of a drought before realizing we were drowning.

Weakening before landfall is normal and was always going to happen. Katrina weakened before landfall etc. This is still going to be a major hurricane at landfall. The storm surge will still be very severe. The flash flooding and landslide threat remains unchanged.

pulsemyne

Weakening before landfall is normal and was always going to happen. Katrina weakened before landfall etc. This is still going to be a major hurricane at landfall. The storm surge will still be very severe. The flash flooding and landslide threat remains unchanged.

It's could well be the most intense storm that has made landfall.

Someone on reddit "Personally I've never heard of a storm weakening to 190mph." I haven't either.

Alebrije

Posted about VOLCAN DEL FUEGO volcano before , no matter the winds the rain it will fall on the volcano will create mud rivers because the volcano was active months ago and the ash deposits are high , towns were evacuated in the morning since goverment expects something like this at the volcano :

web.1.nota_.1..jpg

jmdajr

150 mph is still like a F3 tornado.

Severe damage.

Roofs and some walls torn off well-constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in forest uprooted; heavy cars lifted off the ground and thrown.

and that's not counting the rain!

It's could well be the most intense storm that has made landfall.

Someone on reddit "Personally I've never heard of a storm weakening to 190mph." I haven't either.

I really doubt it's 190 still, pressure went up from 879 to 900, clear indication of significant weakening even though it's still very strong by normal standards. Hopefully we'll get some land based observations at landfall. I would guess it will make landfall between 145-165mph but unless we get an observation it will be hard to know. Could still be one of the strongest east pacific hurricane's at landfall for sure.

rjinaz

Watching the Weather Channel and a man just crossed the beach, with the waves smashing into him. The weather man stopped talking " I'm sorry. What is that guy doing?!"

I feel bad for some of these people that just aren't informed enough to be afraid.

xkramz

Watching the Weather Channel and a man just crossed the beach, with the waves smashing into him. The weather man stopped talking " I'm sorry. What is that guy doing?!"

I feel bad for some of these people that just aren't informed enough to be afraid.

someone gif this id like to see this thats crazy

pulsemyne

I really doubt it's 190 still, pressure went up from 879 to 900, clear indication of significant weakening even though it's still very strong by normal standards. Hopefully we'll get some land based observations at landfall. I would guess it will make landfall between 145-165mph but unless we get an observation it will be hard to know. Could still be one of the strongest east pacific hurricane's at landfall for sure.

There are some hunters going there to investigate so we may well get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom