• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

IISANDERII

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. Hope everyone on the Mexican coast where this is headed gets out of it's way by landfall.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDEP5+shtml/230531.shtml

EP202015_3W_013_0.GIF
Any good live coverages available online?

mreddie

My grandma and uncle live in Morelia, I hope they're ok.

But what really concerns me is if parts of Mexico get severely fucked up, it could up with a crisis and then, shit could really go to hell.

Seemed nothing serious happenned. Degraded massively in a short peiod of time and ended up far souther than anticipated, far from Vallarta and othe heavily populated areas. Glad to see everyone got prepared but just goes to show weather forecasting is still in diapers.

Seemed nothing serious happenned. Degraded massively in a short peiod of time and ended up far souther than anticipated, far from Vallarta and othe heavily populated areas. Glad to see everyone got prepared but just goes to show weather forecasting is still in diapers.

Ehhhh, the cone was east of Puerto Vallarta for the last few days, a week ago they predicted a hurricane hitting roughly where it did, day before yesterday they predicted the rapid intensification (just not the extent) -- I'd say they're doing just fine. =)

Haines

Banned

Awesome news.

Wouldn't say massively degraded. It's still a category 4.

dolabla

It is unlikely, but look at what Ivan did in 2004...That was even less likely!

Ivan_2004_track.png

Ivan was a freakin beast that just wouldn't die. We got the bad side and I remember being under so many tornado warnings and watching the Panama City news live when a tornado touched down.

Stay safe Mexico.

Wouldn't say massively degraded. It's still a category 4.
I don't know how that scale works, but in terms of damage this thing is far from what the government anticipated. Hurricane Manuel, category 1. Was far far far more destructive. Caught me off guard in Acapulco and got trapped there for three days. So my point regarding our understanding of the weather in terms of dimensioning the impact still stands.

Konka

Banned
I don't know how that scale works, but in terms of damage this thing is far from what the government anticipated. Hurricane Manuel, category 1. Was far far far more destructive. Caught me off guard in Acapulco and got trapped there for three days. So my point regarding our understanding of the weather in terms of dimensioning the impact still stands.

People are questioning your ability to accurately describe levels of destruction from an objectively powerful storm in the middle of the night across hundreds of kilometers...Not whether there is more damage in your particular location.

People are questioning your ability to accurately describe levels of destruction from an objectively powerful storm in the middle of the night across hundreds of kilometers...Not whether there is more damage in your particular location.
Apologies if it seemed I was judging th damage from outside my window from Mexico City. When I made that statement was after the local news outlets, the governor and the President themselves said nothing major happenned.

Apologies if it seemed I was judging th damage from outside my window from Mexico City. When I made that statement was after the local news outlets, the governor and the President themselves said nothing major happenned.
nothing major has been REPORTED. No deaths have been reported. Doesn't mean they're wasn't major damage and/or deaths

The authorities are going to a have a much clearer picture once daylight hits

nothing major has been REPORTED. No deaths have been reported. Doesn't mean they're wasn't major damage and/or deaths

The authorities are going to a have a much clearer picture once daylight hits
We'll see then. Completely unlike previous hurricanes at this same stage with far less media and government coverage but certainly a possibility.

That's Typhoon Maysak from last April, in the Philippines... Been seeing that image pop up all day, along with other pictures from Maysak.
Really? Fucking Internet. Still pretty tho.

Yeah a little hard to report things in the dark. But good that nothing bad has been reported so far.

I did see that the crazy high wind reading reported on landfall was from a station at high elevation, so the hurricane may have been quite a bit milder at that point than the raw numbers suggested. (wasn't it something like 160?)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Jalisco is where I spent half a year. I can't describe how devastating the rain alone would be. This has been a rough night to hear about. I hope my friends survive tonight and the coming weeks.

Just heard from my cousin in Ixtlahuacan and they just lost power.
That's where I was half the time (the rest in Chapala) and electricity wasn't exactly stable to begin with. I'd be more worried about mudslides from the loose dirt on the hill, flash flooding, and water supply in the coming weeks. It's a beautiful community. I hope it makes it through relatively okay.

Edit: Oh, unless you mean the one in Colima, not Jalisco. (Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos)

MechaX

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.

Getting downgraded from what could be a Category 6-7 to a 5 on landfall is still not great news, and getting downgraded to a Cat 4 is something else. But if there is any solace about this storm, it's that not only was it about to hit sparsely populated areas, but the government was able to evacuate a large amount of people from the regions it could actually handle (ie, 50,000 as opposed to like 500,000).

I am just fortunate that this monster didn't hit a more densely populated area where the evacuation efforts were not nearly as fast.

OuterLimits

This storm shows us how far we still have to go in terms of computer models forecasting weather. Hurricane Joaquin as well showed this. Many of them showed that storm hitting North Carolina and it missed by hundreds of miles. Saw an interview on CNN where the NHC meteorologist was talking about how all the computer models failed and didn't see the storm rapidly intensifying. They did better on the track though.

Obviously they do get things right, especially the European model. We still have a long way to go though.

My thoughts go out to the people who were hit by this storm.

OuterLimits

Ivan was a freakin beast that just wouldn't die. We got the bad side and I remember being under so many tornado warnings and watching the Panama City news live when a tornado touched down.

Stay safe Mexico.

I think I remember there was a bit of debate at the time on whether it should have still been named Ivan when it reformed. Since the storm had lost its tropical characteristics when it became a remnant low for awhile. I could be wrong.

Ivan was crazy though. What a bizarre track.

My apologies for the double post.

bigosc2k

Banned
Jalisco is where I spent half a year. I can't describe how devastating the rain alone would be. This has been a rough night to hear about. I hope my friends survive tonight and the coming weeks.

That's where I was half the time (the rest in Chapala) and electricity wasn't exactly stable to begin with. I'd be more worried about mudslides from the loose dirt on the hill, flash flooding, and water supply in the coming weeks. It's a beautiful community. I hope it makes it through relatively okay.

Edit: Oh, unless you mean the one in Colima, not Jalisco. (Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos)

Nope my cousin is from Los Membrillos and my uncle is from a little town called San Nicholas not to far from Chapala and I had my cousin check in from Manzanillo.

Got quite a few folks working for me in Guadalajara. Checked in this morning and they're all safe (thankfully). Hoping any flooding doesn't impact them.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Mexico's mountains tamed the storm. No fatalities reported so far and only mild infrastructure damage. Historically, hurricanes in Mexico are more dangerous when they hit the Yucatan peninsula zone, which is almost entirely flat. There is danger from flooding and mudslides, though,

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nope my cousin is from Los Membrillos and my uncle is from a little town called San Nicholas not to far from Chapala and I had my cousin check in from Manzanillo.
Ah, I was there first then ran a thrift store in Ajijic. It may as well all be counted as one big city down there with the way the bus system connects the close-proximity towns and everyone gets around.

I heard from someone there that Chapala already went through one rough time when the lake had receded far in then restored after a lot of rain, flooding businesses that had built in closer to the water. The government put in a lot of money to restore it and make it a weekend getaway place for Guadalajara, in part to also encourage further foreigner retiree settlements (they have nothing to do but be old and spend money).

Because of that and the military being so familiar with the towns due to cartel activity, I'm hopeful for relief efforts going smoothly, but this storm surely made some really big messes that will be difficult to manage. I hope the US helps out properly. It looks like the storm tracked more west into the mountains where not many people were settled, so hopefully it ended up the least damaging it could have been for what it was.

There were some ghost neighborhood places in Guadalajara, so if a lot of people end up more permanently displaced that may be something that helps them, but I'm not sure. They apparently evacuated a lot of people to there.

Roo

Good news!
According to a few media outlets and the Government itself, at least in my state (Jalisco) there were no casualities reported.

Hours after record-breaking Hurricane Patricia made landfall in Mexico, preliminary reports Saturday revealed damage but no casualties in the state of Jalisco, where thousands of residents had hunkered down in shelters during the storm.

Authorities cautioned that the remnants of the hurricane could still cause deadly flooding and mudslides.

Packing sustained winds of 165 mph, Hurricane Patricia made landfall Friday around 6:15 p.m. near Cuixmala, Mexico, in the state of Jalisco, a sparsely populated stretch of Mexico's Pacific, avoiding direct hits on the resort city of Puerto Vallarta and major port city of Manzanillo.

They're obviously still measuring all the damange but as far as human lives go, we're in the clear.

English link: http://www.weather.com/news/weather/news/hurricane-patricia-mexico-pacific-coast-impacts

Fuck you Patricia!

Welp, it wasn't that bad in Guadalajara, today its really cloudy but no rain. And GAF made me go out and buy a box of maruchans ¬¬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom