• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xe4

Banned
It's a bad feeling knowing in a few hours, thousands of people are probably gonna die. I hope not, but with how strong this storm is and how quickly it intensified, I highly doubt anywhere could evacuate quickly enough, much less rural villages in Mexico. Stay safe, Mexico-GAF.

Roo

None of the live streams are working for me now. Looks like it's lights out! Hope the people in that region make it through without a scratch.

The goverment said there would be a power cut in all the coastal areas affected by the hurricane so yeah, that's probably why most if not all of the streams are dead now.

It's a bad feeling knowing in a few hours, thousands of people are probably gonna die. I hope not, but with how strong this storm is and how quickly it intensified, I highly doubt anywhere could evacuate quickly enough, much less rural villages in Mexico. Stay safe, Mexico-GAF.

Is it going to be as bad as thousands? It sounded like it was weakening, I was hoping the injuries would be very low :(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is Bucerias in the path of Patricia?

Yes.

UXLTFPI.png

Is it going to be as bad as thousands? It sounded like it was weakening, I was hoping the injuries would be very low :(

"Weakening" to a Category 5 still means catastrophic damage. It's like if you took The Mountain from Game of Thrones. You're about to fight him in his fully decked out armor and sword. Then before the battle begins he removes his helmet and breastplate. Yeah he's "weakened" slightly, but he's still gonna fuck you up.

The-Mountain-7.jpg

We all hope everyone gets out, but there still will be casualties.

Tenebrous

I'm basing this number off a hurricane that hit in '59, which was 25mph less intense than Patricia. 1,800 died.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Mexico_hurricane

Given the technology available, Hurricane Emily is probably a better comparison. $1bn damage (2005 USD), 17 confirmed dead, 160mph sustained wind.

I know it came from the Atlantic and not the Pacific, but it still hit a lot on the way.

Edit: Scratch that. A lot more to it than that... I still think 1800 is way too high, though.

Dai101

Banned
I'm basing this number off a hurricane that hit in '59, which was 25mph less intense than Patricia. 1,800 died.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Mexico_hurricane

Edit: Aperently, it weakend to 5 mph less than Mexico, but it's still super dangerous.

Let's not compare this times as something that happened that long ago. And in fact it was before the creation of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_DN-III-E which has helped to prevent and aid in disaster zones and reduce casualties.

Still the damage would be catastrophic.

...CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE PATRICIA MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF MEXICO WITH 165-MPH WINDS...

Satellite images indicate that the center of the eye of Patricia
made landfall at approximately 615 PM CDT...2315 UTC...along the
coast of southwestern Mexico near Cuixmala. This position is also
about 55 miles...85 km...west-northwest of Manzanillo, Mexico. The
maximum winds were estimated to be 165 mph...270 km/h.

Xe4

Banned
Given the technology available, Hurricane Emily is probably a better comparison. $1bn damage (2005 USD), 17 confirmed dead, 160mph sustained wind.

I know it came from the Atlantic and not the Pacific, but it still hit a lot on the way.

Edit: Scratch that. A lot more to it than that... I still think 1800 is way too high, though.

Let's not compare this times as something that happened that long ago. And in fact it was before the creation of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_DN-III-E which has helped to prevent and aid in disaster zones and reduce casualties.

Still the damage would be catastrophic.

Fair enough. Hurricanes are unpredictable by nature. Anything could happen at this point, for better or for worse.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's ridiculous that the wind speeds weakened by 20% and the damn thing is still a category 5.

So it will go down in the books as making landfall as a cat 5. For a while it was looking like it would deplete to a cat 4 or 3 just before landfall the way it was breaking apart

AlexBasch

That's fucking terrifying.
I'm not making fun of it or anything, but couldn't help but remember the skit of Jackass 3D when they placed Chris Pontius as the RCA dude in front of a jet engine.

Those palmtrees are bent almost completely. Also, that "puta madre" near the end pretty much sums up the whole situation. :|

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Twice on a single page?

Been looking around if any good streams are going on showing this craziness. My cable is out right now so can only check things out online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um3l6AMYOls

looks like it is getting pretty intense

That is a loop from awhile ago.

I know everyone is way too cool to use that filthy POS Facebook site, but damn, it's hitting hard already.

God damn.

sphinx

the piano man
I have relatives in Guadalajara..but by the time it reaches that area, it will degrade to a tropical storm..

...... right??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom