• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t get gamepass… I want to own my games am I the only one here?

X-Wing

He specifically said "not the ownership part". I am not even sure what you are arguing because it's not what he said.

Let's move on

This is literally in the comment:
But because it takes the power away from consumers who when buying per title can vote with their wallet on the types of games they want to be successful.

Well, buy the games then. Vote with the wallet and buy the games, they are still for sale.

tr1p1ex

As the original buyer of a physical game you are probably not going to get your moneys worth compared to playing on a sub unless you play that game for years and years, i'm sure we can agree that the number of games we fully get value out of compared to the amount we spent is going to be a small amount of games. If you buy many games, you cannot play every game for years so on average you will spend more on games than you would if you played on a sub for the same cost sunk.

However, when you think about the second hand market, one physical game that you buy new and then later sell is bought by someone else who then plays it and sells it on and on down the line. Only the money from that initial sale goes to the publisher. So, if a game ends up being played by 10 people the publisher could in theory have charged each of those people 1/10th of the money that the game cost new to subscribe to play it and still make the same amount of revenue. Each of those 10 consumers could have played the game for the same amount of time and effectively had a greater enjoyment/cost ratio whilst also giving the publisher the same revenue. In essence yes you are right, a sub service is setup to make the publisher more money but that doesn't mean that the customer has to equally lose that amount for it to pay off.

If anything the sub providers are stealing that revenue away from brick and mortar shops, Ebay, courier firms etc. rather than the consumer.
good points. it definitely is aimed at the used game market as much as anything.

My guess is GP will eventually have (more) tiers. They will have a more expensive tier that includes same day release of games at least the big games.

The big games sell so much upfront...I don't see them moving to GP otherwise.

Or you will see more GAAS type of behavior. Where sure the game is on GP for free now, but there's more stuff to buy additionally for the game from cosmetics to DLC.

OR you'll just see a straight up price increase. I just don't believe that the price they are charging now is a sustainable pricepoint.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The thread is about Gamepass not about Netflix. The original post is about Gamepass not Netflix.
All the games released on Gamepass are for sale. So what's the argument?

There's none.

I legitimately believe OP thought games on game pass are exclusive to the service alone and nowhere else.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I really do wonder how you people played games before game pass was a thing. I hate sub services in gaming and just sub services in general. The idea of never owning something yet paying a company monthly to rent something is absurd.
I hate it in life in general (mobile phones, renting houses etc) but where it can be avoided, I'm not certain why anyone would constantly rent to never own. Each to their own but this isn't the path gaming wants to go down. It hasn't worked out well for the music industry with places like Spotify ruining what artists get paid from physical sales (oh but you can STILL BUY YOUR MUSIC.....) and it is starting to ruin tv/film with streaming (just check out all these strikes with workers not getting paid what they should). If you think gaming is immune (you can still buy games with a sub service yet game sales are WAY down on Xbox) then good luck to you.
Feel the same way mostly except with tv...we've had a subscription model since the 80's by the name of cabletv so I don't see streaming tv as any different. And before that it was free but ad supported.

With music, we bought tapes and cds and records. But we always had the radio which in my day was a place we listened to a lot of music and radio was basically free ad supported streaming. We also had a thing called the Columbia House music club where you got a bunch of free albums up front and agreed to pay $x per month for a year or two and received your choice of an album or two every month.

I've seen various gaming subs try to launch too before I guess. I don't think any of them though ever got very big. Unlike tv or even music.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Feel the same way mostly except with tv...we've had a subscription model since the 80's by the name of cabletv so I don't see streaming tv as any different. And before that it was free but ad supported.
If you can't see the difference to what subscriptions are doing then I don't know what to tell you. Just look at the eradication of physical media from outlets. It's happening, and it's all to do with sub services.

Muffdraul

Obviously Microsoft keeps track of how many times a game on GP is downloaded and played and knows how much it "creates value for GP subscribers" and drives new subscriptions etc. Which is effectively the same thing as "consumers voting with their wallet."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: dem

devilNprada

Still doesn't hold. Unlike Netflix Gamepass is not Microsoft's exclusive way of distributing games.
Speaking of arguments that don't hold!

9opKOCa.png

tr1p1ex

If you can't see the difference to what subscriptions are doing then I don't know what to tell you. Just look at the eradication of physical media from outlets. It's happening, and it's all to do with sub services.
subscriptions and eradication of physical media not the same thing.

I believe physical games are only going to go away. I am not a believer in gaming subscriptions.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Once my GP subscription ends in 2025, I do not plan to renew. I will go back to buying games the normal way. I suspect GPU will be in the neighborhood of $20 a month.

2025 is a long a way so we will see.

Vote with the wallet and buy the games, they are still for sale.
"vote with your wallet" is such a redundant saying these days because the minority will have no say in what's popular, like hardcore gamers "voting with their wallets" when casual gamers have always dictated what the market provides.

devilNprada

subscriptions and eradication of physical media not the same thing.
100% - Absolutely

I don't want to put words in his mouth , but I think he was more referring to like, why would people purchase Disney movies (digital) when the entire library is on Disney+.
I mean there are crazy people like my sister in law, but is that really the norm?

MacReady13

100% - Absolutely

I don't want to put words in his mouth , but I think he was more referring to like, why would people purchase Disney movies (digital) when the entire library is on Disney+.
I mean there are crazy people like my sister in law, but is that really the norm?
I mean, didn't Best Buy, in their statement re- not selling physical media, state that streaming is a reason they're not selling physical media, or am I completely wrong about that?

proandrad

Of course your aren’t the only one. Most people don’t have gamepass, if they did Microsoft wouldn’t be trying to buy all the biggest 3rd party publishers for more content. The only reason it’s a great deal now, is because Microsoft is trying to up subscriptions. The moment they control the market they will pull a Netflix, raise prices and reduce content.

I bought 3 years of Gamepass for myself. I buy games for close friends as gifts. When it comes to other people, it's nothing but the best. I'm pretty standard with myself. I would have a different mindset if I owned a place, but I rent, and thus always risk eviction, in which case, space is at a premium. With the way the housing market is now, it will be 20 years before I own a place and can actually own my stuff. As housing becomes less affordable, you are going to see less people wanting to own their games.

Last edited:
I own around 850 games on Xbox, and another 120 on Playstation. Being subscribed to Gamepass has not stopped me from buying games when I want them. Gamepass is more like a rental service to me where I can try things out and if I enjoy them I play, if not then I don't. What I have been able to do is stop buying Microsoft games since I have no intention of letting my subscription lapse as long as I'm getting good games. So far though no other rental service has been able to get me to stay signed on long-term. I had PS Plus for a while, but the selection pales in comparison, I play my multiplayer games on Xbox, so I don't need the online gaming function, and the first party games are not new or consistent enough (they sometimes take first party games off that I had intended to play/replay even when they are old). Stadia made no sense to keep beyond the trial. Nvidia's Geforce Now is pretty awesome when I want to play a PC game for a while, but I hate the lack of support from some big publishers.

Js562

Game pass is great. I'm playing games that are great and most of the times when I beat them I don't come back. Besides streets of Rage 4 lol I had to buy that before that was let go. That's the same thing for games I own maybe a couple times a month I'll come back to something I own. If I really want it I'll buy it. I still buy games even with game pass. It's like Netflix I want to own some of the movies too but if it's available right there and than through a subscription why not. It's good deal if you know where to look

I got 3 years of Game Pass. Once it's over, I'm not renewing. It's mostly stuff I've already played or not interested in. I don't want to be on a timescale of when I can play a game. Who knows if something's going to come or leave the service. Almost like a lottery at times. I get it, it's just not for me.

I own around 850 games on Xbox, and another 120 on Playstation. Being subscribed to Gamepass has not stopped me from buying games when I want them. Gamepass is more like a rental service to me where I can try things out and if I enjoy them I play, if not then I don't. What I have been able to do is stop buying Microsoft games since I have no intention of letting my subscription lapse as long as I'm getting good games. So far though no other rental service has been able to get me to stay signed on long-term. I had PS Plus for a while, but the selection pales in comparison, I play my multiplayer games on Xbox, so I don't need the online gaming function, and the first party games are not new or consistent enough (they sometimes take first party games off that I had intended to play/replay even when they are old). Stadia made no sense to keep beyond the trial. Nvidia's Geforce Now is pretty awesome when I want to play a PC game for a while, but I hate the lack of support from some big publishers.
Same here, and having GP/PS+ has actually helped me purchase more games than I normally would. Like LaD: Ishin for instance, I never would have even thought of buying it until I just tried it on GP, and now it's about to expire so I'm going to buy the game physically on PS5. Tried a lot of games on subs that I'm sooo glad I didn't buy, too.

MacReady13

Same here, and having GP/PS+ has actually helped me purchase more games than I normally would. Like LaD: Ishin for instance, I never would have even thought of buying it until I just tried it on GP, and now it's about to expire so I'm going to buy the game physically on PS5. Tried a lot of games on subs that I'm sooo glad I didn't buy, too.
I used to do the exact same thing, but they were called DEMO's and, get this, they were for FREE! I didn't need to sub to a service to try a game and see whether I loved it or hated it! Simpler times I know but damn, they were good times...

AngelMuffin

Yes but how much can you sell your sub service for? I can sell all of my physical copies for plenty of dollars...
I’m a fan of physical and have a large collection of vintage games, mostly cartridges. I get that you can sell your physical games and I’ve certainly done that, but games today just don’t fell like they’re yours for the end of time. Especially GaaS, Online shooters, etc. Servers can be pulled at any time rendering a lot of games out there useless.

I guess my point is, owning a physical copy of game isn’t what it used to be.

Beechos

Same here I did the same thing. When like a dragon dropped day 1 I was like let's give this a go. Loved it so much bought ishin too lol. I wouldve never got in yakuza if not for gamepass.

I used to do the exact same thing, but they were called DEMO's and, get this, they were for FREE! I didn't need to sub to a service to try a game and see whether I loved it or hated it! Simpler times I know but damn, they were good times...
This was a pleasant surprise when I recently bought a Nintendo Switch. There are so many demos. I ended up buying a few games I would have never otherwise touched if not for the demo.

Times haven't changed that much, just more is on offer through more delivery methods. Currently MS US Store has 226 free game demos available right now. You just don't have to buy a magazine to get demos these days.

Spotted demos of these at a glance -
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Like a Dragon: Ishin! Combat
  • Resident Evil Village Gold Edition Gameplay

QjcrWS3.png

Sony has 432 demos currently -

GQ12BS1.png

Justin9mm

It's a rental service, nothing more, nothing less.

I said to myself, I will only have my PC and PlayStation this gen and then I felt like I was missing out on gamepass and exclusives through gamepass on my couch and bought a Series X.. Besides Forza, it's pretty much been a waste of a purchase. Once my GP subscription ends in 2024-25 or whatever, it will be sold and I'll stick to PC gamepass for anything I feel I really want to play.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I mean, didn't Best Buy, in their statement re- not selling physical media, state that streaming is a reason they're not selling physical media, or am I completely wrong about that?
not sure, but the point was there is digital media and there are digital subscription services.

A person can think physical games will go away and also believe that game subscriptions won't take over the space.

PHysical games already went away on pc and the world didn't end. Pcgaming is even enjoying a renaissance.

I think the only thing really truly keeping games physical on consoles is the resale value.

On pc the move digital happened quick because there was little in the way of a resale market for pcgames due to installation codes. And I suppose other reasons but that was the big one to me. So I don't see why games won't go all digital.

Subscription services are a different story. I think the jury is still out. I don't think games go with a subscription as nicely as some other media does. I also believe something like GP is being subsidized.

Last edited:

Leonidas

See topic It’s great for testing games but that’s all for me.
I don't have Game Pass anymore but I do have PS+ Extra (similar service).

I have already beaten ~20 games and will likely end up beating around 30 games on PS+ Extra (maybe more if I enter Hakoom Hakoom mode) by the time my one year sub is over. After I beat games I rarely go back. And when I play games I usually do everything you can do in them so there is no desire for me to return.

PS+ Extra was the only thing I ever bought for my PS5 Digital. So far I've spent $460. on the console, $400 for the sytem, $60 for a one year PS+ Extra subscription.

I could sell my PS5 after I'm done with the sub and I won't be losing out much, but I'll have played and beaten around 30 games...

//DEVIL//

BEST VALUE IN GAMING……where you don’t own anything.
To be fair. 90% of the games today are not worth owning. 5% of the remaining are not worth owning at full price.

Only like 5% are worth buying. So game pass makes sense when you wanna play a game and try it .

It saved me 100$ on Forza alone heh

Last edited:

MarkyG

With stinkers like Redfall, Gamepass is a godsend. Uninstalled that shit after a couple of hours of playtime (I was feeling generous). No having to jump through hoops for a refund.

Top Bottom