• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t get gamepass… I want to own my games am I the only one here?

Forsythia

All this crap about not owning the game. Wasn't it last gen when people were freaking out over the original Xbox One policy, and screaming they wanted to be able to trade their games?

Anyway, as long as Game Pass is an option I'm fine with it.

Taur007

I like it and don't care about owning my games as I generally move on from a game and don't go back. Sold off all my physical games about 10 years ago and now totally digital.

I understand the collector mentality though and honestly it's a terrible time for it with all the patches and missing content that comes from going physical these days.
Same

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Right now game pass at the end of the day is Netflix gaming despite being downloaded to your machine.

Taur007

But those discs sitting on your shelf collecting dust, you OWN them bro.
That's the thing though, I don't care to own most games today, don't have a lot of time + most are copy paste + I'm all digital since 2016, so GPU is perfect for all my gaming needs and the fact that I don't have to install them, xcloud works flawless (for me)

Katajx

Don’t you get a discount on the games available through game pass as well?

I look at it mostly as a rental service, since that has pretty well dried up now. Otherwise if I want to try a game it costs me about $70 now.

I tried GameFly years ago, but didn’t like waiting on the shipping.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don’t you get a discount on the games available through game pass as well?

I look at it mostly as a rental service, since that has pretty well dried up now. Otherwise if I want to try a game it costs me about $70 now.

I tried GameFly years ago, but didn’t like waiting on the shipping.

Correct, it also extends to 20% for games which are about to leave the service.

Katajx

I would also treat it and look at it more like Netflix too. If you want to keep something, then go ahead and buy it. It’s not going to be there permanently.

After years of not buying movies, I’m starting to consider it again. Some of them are hard to find streaming.

iHaunter

Most of the games on GP are trash unless you have ultimate. So, I think it's a terrible deal. Ultimate is too expensive. Normally I just wait for a release for a game I know I don't want to buy, get GamePass for that month, then beat the game. Like Starfield.

devilNprada

Are gaming accounts willable?

I get they don't actually own the account, but use of that account should have value..
There has to be people in this forum that have accounts worth a shit ton of money.
I can easily see someone's game accounts being their most valuable asset.

MacReady13

Then my friedn you aint gaming, you are a subscription user for life, theres no helping you if you dont even own a console.
But we can buy EVERY game on game pass. How do I buy them on my TV? There is game pass on there, so where is the store on my tv to buy these games? Please help!!!!!

MacReady13

All this crap about not owning the game. Wasn't it last gen when people were freaking out over the original Xbox One policy, and screaming they wanted to be able to trade their games?
Can you not see why we want to own our games? So we have THE OPTION to sell it if and when we don't want it. Why is that such a hard concept for some people to grasp? Imagine a world in which I can lend my game to my brother/friend so they can play it?

Poop!

I have three kids 10 and under who burn through games. Gamepass has been a godsend for my wallet as they can play all those games, beat them in a day and keep playing new ones.

Doesn’t bother me at all. When I stop and think about it, ownership is a myth. The house I live in, cars I drive, all material belonging will still be here when I leave earth.
not the games you bought on steam. that account goes bye-bye... unless you leave someone your login info, but that will probably violate steam's terms.

your house, your cars, all your other material belongs will still have value. some may even appreciate significantly.
and you can pass them on.

Stamps1646

Game Pass is a game rental service, if you want to buy games, then buy games. =)
Game Pass is optional, you aren't forced to subscribe to it.

I mean, considering it's going to cost me about £15 for two months of Game Pass on pc and that will enable me to play and finish Starfield, Lies of P, and get a good deal of enjoyment out of Forza Motorsport 8 - which I can then decide to buy if I don't want to lose it - I feel like that's a lot of gaming for a relatively small amount of money.

GP isn't perfect, but there are occasions where it really does show its worth.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You will own nothing and you will be happy.

Every time someone posts this, this is how I imagine them sitting behind their keyboard

wwe-triple-h.gif

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I generally play a game once and then set it aside(except online fps games). Gamepass allows me to access newly released games inexpensively(for now). However, I don't want to play previously added games(aka gamepass backlog), because I don't know when those games will be removed from the system. I wish they were more transparent about that. I've been putting off playing Persona 5 Royal until now, then I heard the sad news. In a Persona game, just getting to the first break usually takes 2 weeks already.

My "gamepass":

hhFhOv0.png

It's wonderful, nothing leaves and I don't need to worry about paying an ongoing subscription to maintain access.
You do realise you can own your own games AND subscribe to Game Pass?

It's not an either/or type of deal.

Last edited:

Bkdk

It depends, if it’s a one and done thing, then game pass is better. If the games have prolonged mod support, I prefer to own the game outright, sometimes even downloading it for “free” because if I get it on steam. There is always a possibility that one big official update and all your past mods are screwed. Hopefully I don’t get banned saying this but I really don’t see any other way to really keep my game and my mods forever.

Last edited:

manfestival

What I don't get is why people have this notion or just seem to think that game pass is some sorta one size fits all or just something that "everyone should like" sorta thing. Is microsofts marketing just living rent free in some people's heads?

Dream-Knife

Banned
id argue those shouldnt be a subscription either. we need water and electricity to live, why should we need to pay for it?
Who pays the workers though? Govt? More taxes.

Then again our infrastructure is crumbling and we're sending all of our money to fund foreign wars now. We couldn't even make it 6 months without funding the war machine....

Last edited:
I do prefer buying and owning my own games, but I can see the appeal of Gamepass for someone who don’t buy many games or just want to try certain games out. Honestly, at the ongoing and rising costs of subscriptions, it might be cheaper just to buy the games you are interested in instead in the future.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I am not a fan of GP. Not because of the ownership thing. But because it takes the power away from consumers who when buying per title can vote with their wallet on the types of games they want to be successful. Subscription services hands this power completely to the owner of the service.

Not sure I agree with this. Surely the success metrics shift from sales volume to things like engagement, hours played on the platform, things like that, and most likely those metrics are involved in negotiations with publishers that want to put content on the service. In the end consumers still drive what appears on the service by their activity, the usage of the content.

lefty1117

Gold Member
id argue those shouldnt be a subscription either. we need water and electricity to live, why should we need to pay for it?

we need your work output for a successful society, so why should we pay you for it?

man there are some weird takes on the GAF this evening. I think it's the change in weather

Last edited:
I became paranoid about owning my games when my internet was acting up on the release day of DOOM Eternal and I couldn't log into Bethesda's launcher to download the game. I bought the collector's edition and everything.

These days I only buy console games if they come on a physical format.

SteadyEvo

not the games you bought on steam. that account goes bye-bye... unless you leave someone your login info, but that will probably violate steam's terms.

your house, your cars, all your other material belongs will still have value. some may even appreciate significantly.
and you can pass them on.
Understandable. I buy switch games because I don’t trust Nintendo’s online. Xbox feels more “secure” to me. And all those boxes create clutter.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't and won't support services like GP.

I did do XBLG only because of online play.

Same for PS+ I pay for essential for online play.

Not sure I agree with this. Surely the success metrics shift from sales volume to things like engagement, hours played on the platform, things like that, and most likely those metrics are involved in negotiations with publishers that want to put content on the service. In the end consumers still drive what appears on the service by their activity, the usage of the content.

My concern is that using success metrics like engagement or hours played does not capture the same thing as Dollars paid to purchase a game.

When I purcahse a game, I am sending a clear message as a consumer that this type of game has value to me. And that value to me is X many dollars. It does not matter if it is a $70 AAA game or a $10 indy game. And it does not matter if I play it for 5 hours or 100 hours. It is unambiguous what value I am assigning to a game as a consumer.

On a subscription service, the service provider has to infer value on behalf of you. They will use average hours played or "engagement" or what ever and then come to the conclusion they should put out more games like Minecraft or Candy Crush etc (just as an example)

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Wait until you realize you don't really own the games you bought . Like what if Steam stop operating ? What if your console breaks or you sold it ? All the physical collection meant for nothing after that .

And this here is the major problem with sub services in gaming and why devs will not put games on Xbox. People stop buying games so why bother releasing on that platform?
Did you just ignore the first part of my post where I said I OWN 850 games on Xbox? Altogether I have around 1100 games installed on my two 16tb drives. Those 850 though are all purchases. I don't buy Microsoft first party games, but I'm a paying subscriber for them, and because Xbox is my main platform they get my money for all third party games.

adamsapple

Did you just ignore the first part of my post where I said I OWN 850 games on Xbox? Altogether I have around 1100 games installed on my two 16tb drives. Those 850 though are all purchases. I don't buy Microsoft first party games, but I'm a paying subscriber for them, and because Xbox is my main platform they get my money for all third party games.

It's like how the movies sometimes use liberal selectiveness lol

Last edited:

wolffy66

Even if you buy the disc, 80% of the time you still need to download and store a download forever, for the game to even function properly.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Demo service and platform only for me. I try stuff on it but usually then will buy it on PS5 to get haptics and adaptive triggers. My ultimate sub expires on Mar 24 and I wont be renewing, but might still get a month's worth every now and then when there's several titles to demo... But once the PS5 Pro hits later in 2024, then it wont be useful for gauging performance much anymore. So may sell off XSX. We'll see how it goes.

MacReady13

OK well you're an outlier. You are not the norm. Good on you for owning those games, but point still stands- people who have game pass really don't buy many of those games. Games on Xbox do not sell like they do on PC and Playstation. These are facts, no matter your situation.

Last edited:
Think Spotify and Netflix, but, for gaming.

Not so confusing, right?

Me personally, I need to be able to mod and tweak my games. And PC has ultimate backwards compatibility.

Think Spotify and Netflix, but, for gaming.

Not so confusing, right?

Me personally, I need to be able to mod and tweak my games. And PC has ultimate backwards compatibility.
Well, thé comparison does not work. For 2 simple reasons :
- average Time to play a game >>> average Time of a movie. / tvshow / music
- replayability of a game >>> rewatchability of a movie / show. (Not for music).

soulbait

You can still buy games as a GamePass subscriber.

It is best to look as GamePass as a video game rental service versus your actual game library.

Also, if there is a game that you like that is getting ready to leave the service, they give you a heads up and you are able to purchase the game at a discount.

Wait until you realize you don't really own the games you bought . Like what if Steam stop operating ? What if your console breaks or you sold it ? All the physical collection meant for nothing after that .
To remedy that I tend to purchase both a physical copy, and a digital copy of games I really love. Maybe then I can keep them a little bit longer in case disaster strikes from darkness.

Top Bottom