• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what anybody says, Starfield, FFXVI and TOTK are still the top games this year and GOTY should be decided between those 3

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I agree that FF16 is just incredible. I wasn't sure that Square could top 15, but the crazy bastards actually did it. Best JRPG I've ever played.

However, it's a bit early to be calling one of those 3 GOTY. Spider-Man 2 isn't out yet and that looks like a contender.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You need to learn what the term objective means because it doesn't mean what you think it means.
Sneering and unnecessarily rude, that's the tone you want to set? This is the kind of opener people with social skills wouldn't make. Tbh, from this point you've lost me and had me thinking there's no point replying to you, if that's your opening then why would I bother?

I'm going to improve my experience of this enthusiast's forum by ignoring your comment. Try to be more polite if you want to debate my posts with me in the future, there's nothing in it for me to argue with rude people on the Internet. Life's too short.

TMLT

Baldurs Gate, Hogwarts and RE4make are the top 3 imo. Objectively TOTK should be in there I suppose but it just didnt hit for me the same way that BOTW did because it didnt feel as fresh.

FF16 was very good but not quite GOTY material imo. Starfield....not as shit as the hate might suggest but like a 7/10 kinda game, so definitely not GOTY.

Tsaki

You have the same tastes as the journalists, since looking at MC all those games scored highly. No one disputes TotK. But Baldur's Gate 3 will be the winner this year.

Hudo

Even though I find the whole concept of "GOTY" pretty retarded and only useful for marketing people, if I had to make a top 3 of possible candidate for me, they'd most likely be:

Baldur's Gate 3
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
(Depending on how Super Mario Bros Wonder turn out, it could take a top 3 spot instead. Who knows?)

Surprise of the year: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did)
Redemption arc of the year: Cyberpunk 2.0 + Phantom Liberty
Disappointment of the year: Starfield

Edit: If I think about 2022, it'd be:

Elden Ring
Tactics Ogre Reborn
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Surprise of the year: Signalis
What the fuck did I just play... of the year: Hyper Demon
Disappointment of the year: The Callisto Protocol

Last edited:

KàIRóS

To be fair I indeed have not played Baldurs Gate 3 and if I'm completely honest it doesn't interest me either, never been a huge fan of CRPGs, I might rethink that if that game does end up winning GOTY though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol I am having a blast so goty. Just because I enjoyed 50 cent rapper game doesn't meant it should be goty. Starfield doesn't push the genre in any way. Do you even know why they give goty? Also where is bg3?

Thanks OP. I don't know where I would be if you weren't around to personally tell all of us what the greatest games this year are and by extension what we should and shouldn't enjoy playing. I can't believe I've been wasting all my time this year playing absolute shit like Baldur's Gate 3, Dead Space (2023), Resident Evil 4 (2023), and am super excited to get my hands on Alan Wake II and Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

I've completely wasted my year playing garbage no one should be wasting their time with. I was just too blind to see it until now. Please forgive me, my PS5, for defiling you with such shit software you shouldn't be forced to run. I must repent my sins and pray that I can still be forgiven for my atrocious choices in gaming, and that I may reclaim my honor from the shame and disgrace my playlist has brought onto me and my family.

Last edited:

LastBattle

No problem with the list.

But it might as well be

Lord Of The Rings: Gollum
1-2 Switch
TOTK.

You can change the first two games to anything released or due to be released this year, because as long as one of the options is the game that will win then it doesn't really matter.

TOTK should and will win any objective list. Fanboys will champion various titles but if we're honest, there's nothing that can realistically challenge TOTK.
I was enjoying ToTK however after playing Starfield, not sure I can go back. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Ginzeen

Banned
Link the dev. He's probably not a CRPG dev. They were all general comments because the game shits on most of their games CRPGs or not and they know it.
Give OwlCat, InXile or Oblivion the money and resources to make a big budget crpg. They can definitely match the production values of BG3.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Thanks OP. I don't know where I would be if you weren't around to personally tell all of us what the greatest games this year are and by extension what we should and shouldn't enjoy playing. I can't believe I've been wasting all my time this year play absolute shit like Baldur's Gate 3, Dead Space (2023), Resident Evil 4 (2023), and am super excited to get my hands on Alan Wake II and Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

I've completely wasted my year playing garbage no one should be wasting their time with. I was just too blind to see it until now. Please forgive me, my PS5, for defiling you with such shit software you shouldn't be forced to run. I must repent my sins and pray that I can still be forgiven for my atrocious choice in gaming, and that I may reclaim my honor from the shame and disgrace my playlist has brought onto me and my family.

What is going on around here?

Ozzie666

I suspect TOTK will win based on the franchise name and the company who made it, Nintendo. All the named contentenders are extremely flawed and disappointing games especially namely FF16 and Starfield. I think only TOTK can overcome the flaws. TOTK is not as good as BOTW, and the building mechanic is really the only thing setting it apart. Some might rank Hogswarts as a contender, and I wouldn't blame them.

I am hoping Baldurs Gate 3 wins, being an unexpected hit, an old school PC game. It would send an interesting message to the industry and be a great success story. BG3 deserves it.

OP: The Rock says it doesn't matter what you think.

Last edited:

Little Mac

It's between BG3 and TotK. TotK bests BotW which is one of the highest reviewed and praised games of all time. If BG3's act 3 was as mind-blowing as its act 1, we'd have a difficult decision here.

I Meant What I Said GIF by CBS

Fredrik

Bro is seeking approval for his trash taste
Great taste you mean. And at least he’s positive and play on all platforms and don’t do like the extremes here who can’t talk without pushing some exaggerated negative narrative to make a game they don’t like seem worse than it actually is.

midnightAI

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Mine is Starfield is shit, I came to the conclusion that I don't like a single thing about the game, which is quite some feat in itself

IAmRei

Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif
Cant be more agree with FF XVI and ToTK, havent play starfield yet. But i love the scifi design so far. Also on my backlog as well

Ginzeen

Banned
Doesn't matter. I'm not. Just funneling money into a project doesn't get you BG3. That applies to any genre
Im talking from a production value perspective. Such as graphics, art, technology etc. I know big budget doesn't guarantee success. But those studios listed know how to make good crpgs. Now give them a Triple A budget and resources and i think they can have a major hit on their hands.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
My friend, they sometimes get games like 2-3 days before embargo, they have to edit a video, write a script and you expect them to play through the whole game?? I mean sorry to crush your reality but yeah most reviewers don't complete games for their reviews, and Starfield in particular is literally designed to last years and still discover new stuff.
Edge had over a month for their review and gave it a 6/10. 🤷‍♂️

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think TOTK generated a lot of discussion amongst devs for the unmatched sandbox/physics. Both are stellar GOTG games IMO, and either one winning GOTY is fair. Thank God for Nintendo and Larian.
I guess. I think that TOTK's physics only appear as good as they are because nobody in the AAA space has ever tried to make a similar sort of game in the past 15 years. There have been games released in that time with great physics as well but TOTK is the one game that puts a major focus on them.

Im talking from a production value perspective. Such as graphics, art, technology etc. I know big budget doesn't guarantee success. But those studios listed know how to make good crpgs. Now give them a Triple A budget and resources and i think they can have a major hit on their hands.

Good lord no shit Sherlock lol. That's hardly a genius statement. Anyone can spend money. The real challenge is knowing how which this incompetent industry fails at time and time again.

Dazraell

Nothing wrong with you enjoying these games. Heck, I enjoyed FFXVI as well, even if I don't think it's a GOTY material

Personally, I think out of these games only Zelda will be a serious contender that has the biggest chance to score the most GOTY awards. The other one is Baldur's Gate III

JackMcGunns

it's good to know that you had fun playing those but Baldur's Gate 3, Alan Wake 2 and Spider-Man 2 are solid contenders too, although the last 2 are yet to release.

Forgot to add Resident Evil 4 remake and Dead Space remake. Solid year.

So what you’re saying is, anything but what he chose.

Ginzeen

Banned
Good lord no shit Sherlock lol. That's hardly a genius statement. Anyone can spend money. The real challenge is knowing how which this incompetent industry fails at time and time again.
Not just anyone can burn money on Triple A budgets. One flop could send a studio/publisher to oblivion or mass layoffs. Triple A games can be very risky. Hence why you keep seeing the same old ips getting sequels after sequels

Last edited:
Top Bottom