• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what anybody says, Starfield, FFXVI and TOTK are still the top games this year and GOTY should be decided between those 3

NEbeast

Stealth Starfield praise thread.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

Certinty

It’s not that I play a ton of games these days but Final Fantasy XVI and Starfield are amongst two of the worst.

The former is full of running through poorly designed linear pathways with weak enemies only to end up fighting a boss who’s far more powerful at the end. It’s just boring, there’s nothing more to it, no sense of exploration, liveliness, scale or anything. From what I played the story was severely dragged out too, far too much filler.

As for the latter, I think everyone knows how dated Starfield looks, sounds and plays. Ridiculous AI, loading screens everywhere and poor gunplay just to say the least.

For me both would be 6/10 games at the very best and that’s being generous.

I had a blast with BG3 (for a hundred hours or so), but TotK is my definite GOTY. No other game came even close in the last couple of years.

Tomeru

Gamers just dont care anymore. They just wanna game.

And then they cry about other games. We live in a society indeed.

Starfield sux. Ff16 bores. TotK I didn't play lmaoo (not gonna play).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So, a Final Fantasy game with most of the Final Fantasy stripped out of it, an RPG with every single mechanic and narrative beat straight out of the noughties... and the actual game of the year.

Gotcha.

DragonNCM

Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif

As much as I love Starfield & playing it all the time it is not GOTY contender.
BG3, Zelda & maybe Spider-Man will take the cake.

Guilty_AI

I think AC6 and BG3 deserve it for putting genres considered niche into mainstream (as well as just being great games overall). TotK is more of the same, Starfield and FFXVI had issues bad enough to divide opinions.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I’ve played a bit over 70hrs in FF16 and around 50hrs in Starfield and I diasagree. Both games have large and serious flaws that make them unsuitable to be considered for GOTY imo.

I think it should be between BG3 and ToTK and the other contenders should be Hogwart’s Legacy, Resident Evil 4 and possibly Spiderman 2 and Alan Wake 2. Armoured Core 6 may be an honourable mention along with Jedi Survivor.

Last edited:
Lol at Starfield, FFXVI is good and didnt ToTK is just BotW 2.0 ( imo ).

The surprise of the year for me is LoP and it should win at least best indie game this year.
What is "LoP"? Trying to remember all the indie titles this year and don't see any that I know of with that abbreviation. Best indie for me in 2023 would be Halls of Torment (vampire survivors type game with diablo 2 art style and feel. Game even gets it better than d4).

FF16 was amazing. It could of had more weapon and armor changes and systems though.
TOTK, is still in the box, I need to finish botw first. I have had the game since 2018 and still haven't finished it. I play it for long stretches and then get bored after a while and put it down. I am sure totk is great.
Stanfield is good but feels generic compared to say Mass Effect 1. The ui is shit and navigating it is horrible. I am not that far in yet, as I just met Sarah not to long ago and am finishing up some side quests.

OP really needs to add BG3 to the titles. Its top tier premium with no bullshit.

Most important quality for GOTY contender should be it pushes the boundaries. Getting to play stuff that's never been done before. And be good at it, inspiring other developers along the way. From that criteria:

-TOTK: Contender
-Starfield: Contender
-Baldurs Gate 3: we have seen this before, but it's high quality so, contender

Other nominees I dunno. Too many great games to decide.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What about resi 4 remake....hogwarts....star wars jedi survivor...cocoon.

And of course...

Balders gate 3!!!

But yes, starfield is a very good game and even with its warts it deserves to be in the goty conversation.

Should land behind lies of P though.

damidu

lol i don’t care what you say either
starfart doesn’t deserve to be in any goty discussion,
maybe game of the month if we really have to. though with no way of winning that either, it released in same month with bg3

this “trying to fetch happen” shit about this mediocre game is quickly becoming sad honestly.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I don't think this is gonna happen. Some of the hundreds of awards will nominate it for sure or are you just talking about that wannabe gaming oscar promotional event by Geoff Keighley?
I guess you're one of them meltdowns about to happen. Looking forward to it.

Neff

So far

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Street Fighter 6
4. Super Mario Wonder
5. Tears of the Kingdom
6. Robocop Rogue City
7. Starfield
8. Jedi Survivor
9. Hogwarts Legacy
10. Bayonetta Origins

Last edited:

Synless

Well, I haven’t played BG3 because no physical edition but it’s certainly ToTK for me, followed closely by FF16.

mortal

Gold Member
If you don't care what anybody says then why make a thread about it? Kind of a contradiction, no?

You should continue just enjoying your time with these games rather than worrying about GOTY awards.

Fabieter

To some degree, yes. But it's better than BOTW, introduces a bunch of fun new mechanics and impressively pushes the switch to do things most people wouldn't think possible.

If it was merely an iteration on BOTW, it'd still be being talked about, but it's that and more.

Also, personally, I'd say it would be nice to recognize a game that wasn't in early access, or needed major updates over months or years to end up in the state that people would like their games to be in.

Lol at the last paragraph considering larian doesn't has a have platform to back them and isn't a multi billion dollar cooperation. If anything its even more impressive what larian has done. Did you play it.

I prefer jprgs over wrpg and even I say bg3 is the best rpg ever made. It should ein absolutely.

Roni

Gold Member
GAF's been signaling me Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty should be in the conversation.

Ev1L AuRoN

I find it hard to believe that Starfield maybe win the best Xbox game of the year, and not even that I think it can accomplish.

Zelda ToTK is the favorite to win, but it will have a fierce competition from Baldur's Gate 3.

Two unreleased games that are strong contenders: Alan Wake 2 and Spider Man 2

Games that could end up in the list:

Resident Evil 4 Remake
Mario Wonder
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty

Eotheod

Too many good games this year. Thank gosh I gave up on the whole GOTY bullshit though, load of piss that ignores all games to find the "best" one despite not really needing to do so. Especially when it's contentiously based on a select few people's opinions.
Gamers just dont care anymore. They just wanna game.

And then they cry about other games. We live in a society indeed.

Starfield sux. Ff16 bores. TotK I didn't play lmaoo (not gonna play).
Wait, aren't you doing exactly what you opened your post with?

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I guess you're one of them meltdowns about to happen. Looking forward to it.
Guess i was right that you are one of those Geoff victims who think only his show matters. My GOTY is btw Zelda and i'm pretty damn sure it will win the most awards and i don't have a meltdown if it doesn't and certainly not if ot doesn't win the Geoff show.

Tomeru

Wait, aren't you doing exactly what you opened your post with?

I do care. Which is why I try my best not to play shit games (as in I start a game and never finish the shit ones). And nintendo games.

But if you want to get serious for a moment (which I doubt anyone would want to), the you would realise how perception of games changed to the worse. And by gamers no less.

AngelMuffin

I’ve played all of those and I could get on board with ToTK, but I’ve been enjoying Sea of Stars more than just about anything else so far this year.

It's gonna be a toss up between ToTk and Baldurs Gate 3 for sure. Starfield is a mid-game at best, mediocre at worst. I've put a couple hundred hours into both ToTk and BG3. I've put 10 into Starfield and probably won't touch it again for quite a while...I'd rather play Fallout 4 again than sit through the mediocrity of Starfield.

It's crazy that both ToTK and BG3 came out within months of each other and both are now each some of my favorite game of all time.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Of then Ive only done ff16 thus far and it 100% does not deserve to be in contention. The main story is decent enough and the combat pretty fun. But the main quest is so full of terribly written F level filler, awfully paced, and every single side quest would have actually been better if it had been written by an ai. It’s absolute tedium, I really don’t know what they were thinking. The loot/equipment system is completely redundant, and it offers zero reason to explore its world. Such a shame. It’s redeeming factors maybe scrape it a 7/10 but no more. Given the avalanche of legit great games this year it shouldn’t even be in the top 10

STARSBarry

Gold Member
TOTK should and will win any objective list. Fanboys will champion various titles but if we're honest, there's nothing that can realistically challenge TOTK.

No that's just "OmFg A nEw ZeLdA" people. for everyone else who arnt rabbid fanboys the results will vary this year.

And that's a person who owns every console being "honest" rather than "Fanboys will champion various titles" which is you literally to a tee in the post just with Zelda.

Was that meant to be the joke?

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This low hanging fruit weekend discussion thought while taking the morning shit merits thread privileges being removed.

I don't need to poke the holes you made for yourself.

My service is to make a thread when it matters first, like actual news, before getting into the big boy lane of more thought provoking threads. This isn't one of those.

Lunarorbit

It was pretty transparent for Starfield and no there is no magical thing that makes the game lasting years
I'm not saying this will happen with starfield but fools are still playing skyrim. Todd Howard also said they expected starfield to be played for years.

So in Todd's eyes at least they will support this for years

Fredrik

Starfield and FF16 are not GOTY contenders. Both get mixed reviews, overhyped and underdelivered.
Death Stranding nearly became GOTY with a higher mixed review percentage and lower metascore. 🤷‍♂️

They might not be a GOTY contender to you though. And that’s fine, they don’t have to be that. Both games has received 9s and 10s and obviously have lots of fans, both games will 100% pop up on many GAF GOTY lists and might be seen on gaming media lists too.

Death Stranding nearly became GOTY with a higher mixed review percentage and lower metascore. 🤷‍♂️

They might not be a GOTY contender to you though. And that’s fine, they don’t have to be that. Both games has received 9s and 10s and obviously have lots of fans, both games will 100% pop up on many GAF GOTY lists and might be seen on gaming media lists too.
And they will probably get GotY on those fansites. Doesn't really mean much. Hell the title GOTY is stupid anyways as if there's some objective metric that determines all people's taste and preferences.

But for me, trying my best to be objective, Starfield is the biggest disappointment of the year simply because of the pedigree of the studio and my love for them. Not an outright bad game by any stretch, but far below Bethesda's previous offerings in my book. I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom