• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand how to get a PS5 legitimately.

Don't complicate things OP. Life is simple

01_500_1724_0_i_01_2b5c.jpg

GUEST_b9c00d25-2393-4205-be86-a77b4cc01f2c

artworks-000259787231-n2s47g-t500x500.jpg

The lotion/tissue combo is for relieving some tension when you boot up your first next gen PS5 game

Happy gaming

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

amazon is just the worst. I actually got to "check out" and verified my address when it told me they were out.

What is the point of "The Cart" if people can just pull your item out of it?
Amazon is heavily botted with no no protection against it at all.

I would love to know the true percent of how many PS5 are still being scalped. Target and PS direct are the best ones to get from.

BB used to be until they hid them behind TT memberships, they had a good system in place that gave you time to check out.

Duchess

I would love to know the true percent of how many PS5 are still being scalped
Some time ago, I heard it was 1-2%.

So, if Sony has sold through 15 million PS5s, that's somewhere around 300,000 scalped. If scalpers are able to get $100 on each of those, that's $30,000,000 they've made.

T-Cake

The strange thing is, the number of PS5s sold is almost the same as the number of PS4s sold in the same time frame. Yet there was none of this nonsense with PS4. So is it all a psychological thing? People are just buying them because they don't know when they would be able to get one, even if they don't really want/need one at this present time?

UnNamed

Banned
The strange thing is, the number of PS5s sold is almost the same as the number of PS4s sold in the same time frame. Yet there was none of this nonsense with PS4. So is it all a psychological thing?
No, PS4 was largely available online and in the physical stores few months after the release. I bought mine at launch and another two in the following year. PS5 is still unavailable in the store except for Gamestop, but with a long queue and with a stupid and expensive bundle.

Last edited:
Each morning, before my shower, I sat on the toilet refreshing the Best Buy store page for the XSX on my phone until I got an Xbox series x. I figure I will do that for the PS5 too. Worked very well. It took 2 or 3 days.

Alan Wake

I'm a member at different stores so I just waited for a batch to show up. I've had three chances and the third time I decided to actually buy it. Got it set up today. Gosh what a beast this console is. But I really like the UI and the controller, which is more important that how the actual console looks. And Astro's Playroom is really fun, my 4 year old had a blast watching me play. PS5 certainly feels more "next gen" than the Series X with the DualSense controller, but I expect to play most of my games on Xbox anyway.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I successfully dropped the idea from my mind. I'm basically waiting until it's extremely easy to purchase one. How great is that first weekend alone with a PS5 and a big handful of exclusives going to be?

boomcrab

I got mine through walmart last year. They had a drop at like 7pm and of course it sold out immediately. But periodically it would be available again for the next few hours. I managed to grab it at like 11:30pm. The point I'm making is that I dont think they make their whole stock available all at once, im not sure if that's just walmart or every retailer. Just keep at it you'll get it eventually.

I’ve seen some on eBay for like $550 and I’m like “What’s the scam?”
Thats just the beginning of the bidding they usually all hike up in price to at least 700-800. If the person selling it has sold a lot of stuff with a 100 percent rating theyre legit. I bought mine from ebay.

Demigod Mac

Got one last year from Target during one of Jake Randall's livestreams and by following his advice when the drop went live.
It may take several attempts, but keep at it and eventually you'll bag one.

HoofHearted

Stock alerts via discord is your friend - that's how I've gotten 2 of them - and successfully able to get 3 more in my cart ready to buy (but backed out because everyone I was searching for decided they didn't want it at the last second)...

XSX is the same story - just have to jump on the correct discord channels and simply be ready to pounce..

It takes a bit of patience - but doable. Latest alerts were via GS combo/package deals - so more expensive than the base console - but still reasonable if you're seriously trying to find a console.

Happy Hunting..

NickFire

Saw a rumor that Target is doing a huge (forPS5) in store drop this week. Keep checking the stock trackers. Tomorrow could be everyone's day (or whatever day it is).

JayK47

I wonder when this insanity will end? It really becomes nearly a full time job trying to pick one of these or a decent video card up. You have to jump through so many hoops and be Johnny on the Spot to pick them up.

I got extremely lucky this Holiday season when I was able to purchase an Xbox Series X through a friend. He was at a Target store buying last minute Christmas gifts when he found a few XSX's in stock. He knew I had been looking for one for a while, so he hit me up, I sent him the money, and he was able to buy it for me on the spot. I had already given up looking but it seems sometimes things happen when you least expect.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
EBay seems to have plenty of Ps5s at about 50-70 more than retail. That’s just the price of an extra game.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Stock alert Twitter works for many people as well.

Last edited:

Georome

I used one of the stock alert accounts on Twitter and made sure it notified me when they posted. It took a few times, but I finally snagged one from GameStop early last year.

Top Bottom