• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i fucking love the impact the Steam Deck's already had on the industry in just 1 year.

Nautilus

Banned
You don't remember it, let's put it that way.
No, it's you that don't want to admit the simple fact that the "winners" are the ones who decide history(In this case, the ones who made the first popular product of that type), and instead is console warring for no good reason.
Was it? Now you show it, because the first unveiling, the introduction to the Steam Deck video doesn't show it as such it shows it as a handheld or a desktop PC.
And after that explain to me why, a dock and controller being widely available makes it a hybrid console but it can't be a PC even though the desktop UI is literally 3 button clicks away.

Itson the Steam Deck's own website. It's as official as it gets.

And I never said it can't be a PC. You must have been dozing off during all this discussion, as I said that, thanks to being able to be a portable console and a PC, both focused on gaming, that makes it a hybrid console.

Enough. I feel like I'm talking with a wall, given the circles our conversation are taking.

Mr Branding

People here in this thread grown up yet or are they still sulking in the corner about the fact that deck wouldn't exist without the switch 🤣
This has to be the most puerile take so far. Ain’t nothing more childish than arguing to no end which pioneered an abstract concept. Like who even cares?
In fact, nintendo fans seem to really care since they stormed this topic to argue this exact non-issue.
Idk, have fun playing on your ground-breaking-yet-super-underpowered-hybrid-console.

Nautilus

Banned
This has to be the most puerile take so far. Ain’t nothing more childish than arguing to no end which pioneered an abstract concept. Like who even cares?
In fact, nintendo fans seem to really care since they stormed this topic to argue this exact non-issue.
Idk, have fun playing on your ground-breaking-yet-super-underpowered-hybrid-console.
And yet, here you are replying to this topic that supposedly no one should care about, and making unnecessary remarks as the Switch being underpowered that has nothing to do with the topic other than rile people up.

And it's the other user that is childish.

*shrugs*

Mr Branding

And yet, here you are replying to this topic that supposedly no one should care about, and making unnecessary remarks as the Switch being underpowered that has nothing to do with the topic other than rile people up.

*shrugs*
Read my reply again.
Didn’t say nobody should care about the topic, but rather this point that nintendo fans try to make so desperately when it was not about nintendo in the first place.
And I’m riling people up,lol

Last edited:

SomeGit

Dosing off? You said it yourself, you have to go out of you way to make it a PC on the last page. Did you dose off?
And I said day one marketing, the official site is not day one hell even the official site markets it under the Dock section, you know a separate accessory.

Every other marketing piece shows it as a handheld device, meanwhile Switch ads shows it both connected to a TV and as a handheld, see the difference?

Enough. I feel like I'm talking with a wall, given the circles our conversation are taking.

Oh like repeating over and over again that OPs thread was about how handheld PCs pre and post Steam Deck (all of them post Switch btw) and that there is a big difference between a device that comes with everything OOB to be used as 2 separate use cases and one that needs separate accessories for that (except for the PSP because that doesn't count because it was not a winner(?) and it came out after it's launch, like the Official Dock but totally different)?

I stand by what I said since the start, the Deck is designed as a handheld PC, any additional features need additional hardware which is pretty much not its primary use case. Just because you can connect it to a display doesn't make it hybrid device, it's ridiculous, I can connect a iPhone to a screen and keyboard too doesn't make it a PC.
Meanwhile the Switch is designed, out of the box, to serve the 2 use cases, you don't need any extra hardware and it changes power profile too. Meanwhile the Deck couldn't even display it's game mode on a monitor properly in the first few months, talk about an intended use case.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
Hahaha someone explain to me why the decks obvious existence because of the switch is such a bad thing.

Console/PC Warriors are weird as fuck.

I'll enjoy playing everything on all devices because I have them all. And as an owner of the deck and switch and a PC and both consoles I can easily see that the deck doesn't exist without the switch 🤷‍♂️.

If that upsets you then I'm sorry that the obvious thing is obvious. Maybe play the plastic toy you love most and not get offended by things that are true

Mr Branding

Hahaha someone explain to me why the decks obvious existence because of the switch is such a bad thing.

Console/PC Warriors are weird as fuck.

I'll enjoy playing everything on all devices because I have them all. And as an owner of the deck and switch and a PC and both consoles I can easily see that the deck doesn't exist without the switch 🤷‍♂️.

If that upsets you then I'm sorry that the obvious thing is obvious. Maybe play the plastic toy you love most and not get offended by things that are true
Lol, no one said it’s bad. Just that they are not the same, this discussion exists since the Deck was announced and most people can agree they are different things for different user types.

Folk here have been trying to underline that aspect while also saying that it’s also a really uncalled for bragging right since no one brought up the switch until nintendo fans came into this topic, read page 1 again.

It doesn’t offend me and neither does it upset me, you’re just assuming it does. It amuses me, esp. calling me a pc warrior, since all my pc gaming has restarted with the deck. I own two switches and also have a ps4 so yeah…

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
Lol, no one said it’s bad. Just that they are not the same, this discussion exists since the Deck was announced and most people can agree they are different things for different user types.

Folk here have been trying to underline that aspect while also saying that it’s also a really uncalled for bragging right since no one brought up the switch until nintendo fans came into this topic, read page 1 again.

It doesn’t offend me and neither does it upset me, you’re just assuming it does. It amuses me, esp. calling me a pc warrior, since all my pc gaming has restarted with the deck. I own two switches and also have a ps4 so yeah…
Who says they are the same

It still doesn't exist without the switch.

And it clearly did with how you've changed your tone now between posts

SomeGit

GPD Win - released October 2016.
Switch unveiled October 20, 2016.

Hmm............................

Shot, well most of them lol
What I meant there was, the was a large time gap between Switch and Deck, yet it's only after Deck that things began to heat up this much.
If it was all "thanks to Nintendo" we would have seen a lot more earlier, clearly that wasn't the case.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

*shrugs*

Did you see the post he was responding to?

People here in this thread grown up yet or are they still sulking in the corner about the fact that deck wouldn't exist without the switch 🤣

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
it's not about the sales but the competition. More companies are jumping into the market after the Steam deck proved an X86 handheld could be done well. Valve is the first company to make an X86 PC handheld as good as the Deck.

I'm not crediting GPD, i think they're an awful company and their products are shit. They had a genuine tantrum when the Deck first released and nuked their market share since they were the only people doing this handheld PC thing consistently before 2022. One of the reasons i credit the steam deck is because it got us away from GPD.

The others are fine but Ayaneo's product quality jumped exponentially when the Deck released- the Ayaneo 1 vs the Ayaneo 2 and all the little spinoffs they've made since the Deck's release... that's a response to competition
dgdgdg

CamHostage

The Steam Deck crested the wave, but it was really the push towards low TDP processors in the PC market that got this swell going. (That, combined with the Switch's enviable market performance that showed a use for these low-draw CPUs.)

For those of us who were around watching the handheld gaming market before Deck, you saw a lot of this bubbling up as hardware became viable and further chipsets were announced. I remember when Deck was announced, it was less a revelation to me than it was just like, "Oh good, now a major company is finally putting one of these together." And it wasn't until the price showed itself that I really had an idea how far Valve could actually take this one, as opposed to Steam Box. The Steam Box itself was part of a similar wave of those micro-PC boxes, which didn't work out in games but you still see those boxes all the time in like doctor's offices and commercial displays.

For sure the market fired up with Steam Deck selling so well, but AyaNeo and Razer and OneX and ASUS would have been bringing products to this market anyway, some running Android and some running the touch-friendly versions of Win 10/11. They would have been overpriced (as most of these have been even with Deck setting the expected price range) and they might not have iterated as quickly and few gamers you know would have bought them, but they'd still be out there.

...Hard to say if I could make the same claim without Switch though. The chipsets would have been there, and the touch-friendly OS would have been around, but portable/tablet game devices had not had much luck using Android even when Android gaming seemed like it might be a thing (NVIDIA Shield had 10 seconds of maybe being something, and who else remembers the WikiPad or the Archos 7?), even gaming phones have proven a dead end, but after Switch, the possibilities seemed tantalizingly within reach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom