• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i fucking love the impact the Steam Deck's already had on the industry in just 1 year.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
TC is comparing handheld PCs. Switch is not a handheld PC. There is a clear distinction between what's mentioned in the first post and what you're extrapolating it into.
Differences between handheld PC and console

A handheld PC:
functions like a console-style gaming system when undocked, functions similarly to a fully fledged computer when docked
can do non gaming tasks such as document creation, image & video editing, & your taxes
is quite modular due to being a PC
Runs everything a PC can run for gaming, including Steam, GOG, Epic, Lutris, the kitchen sink
You can hook up a mouse and keyboard to it for FPS/RTS/MMO games or work
Can run any OS you throw at it

A handheld console/hybrid
Literally only exists for gaming
functions the exact same when docked
Closest thing to a non gaming task is sending images of the game you're playing out to social media
not modular.. like, at all
Can only run the library given to it by the original publisher
you can't hook up any control device that isn't a controller (authorized by the original publisher ofc)
only capable of running the OS that came prepackaged with the device

These are different fucking systems people. They share ONE common purpose: playing games. That's it. everything else is a completely different ballpark

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It's a handheld PC. It being a handheld PC means it has the option to hook up to a display by the nature of it being a PC.

TC is comparing handheld PCs. Switch is not a handheld PC. There is a clear distinction between what's mentioned in the first post and what you're extrapolating it into.
What you just described is the definition of a hybrid console. The type of device that the Switch pioneered. So thus, the Steam Deck is a hybrid console, that can work as a handheld console, or a PC.

Exactly what I've been saying all this time.

SomeGit

What you just described is the definition of a hybrid console. The type of device that the Switch pioneered. So thus, the Steam Deck is a hybrid console, that can work as a handheld console, or a PC.

Exactly what I've been saying all this time.

I don’t see how it’s an hybrid console, it doesn’t switch powermodes or even scale resolution that easily when connected, you can’t remove it’s controls like you can with the joycons and it doesn’t even come with hardware to connect it to a display.

It has more in common with a PSP, a handheld that can be connected to a separate display with additional hardware, than a Switch, that out of the box comes with everything to be played as either a handheld device or a home console with software designed as such.

Deck is clearly designed to be used as a handheld, not only but that it’s its big focus.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Go back to gaming school

MV5BYWRlZDVlY2MtYzQ2Zi00YjQ4LWFmYTEtOWQ1ZjlmMTczNjNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEwNDU1MzEy._V1_.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
it can also be viewed as a laptop since you can output a laptop to a TV.... a concept which existed before the switch
We already have gone over this with the PS1 with a screen version example: A handHELD device needs to be played while holding it. And you can't do that with a laptop(at least you shouldn't.Doing that is incredibly unwoeldy, and dangerous for your laptop's safety). Laptops are incredibly versatile, but not hybrid device. And not even a gaming-focused device, which the Steam Deck is, might I add.

Nautilus

Banned
Go back to gaming school. No console can run full Windows/Linuxes and is programs and games. Plus GPD Win that came before Switch had miniHDMI port that let you connect to TVs/monitors and whatever you want.
There was probably motion controlled devices before the Wii, but it was them that popularized them. There were probably handheld consoles that came before the gameboy, but it was Nintendo that popularized them. There was probably devices that had analog sticks that came before the N64. But it was Nintendo that popularized it.Same can be applied to Pong and Atari.

What matters is if you can have a successful product, that is truly adapted by the masses, and not the one that did it first. The same was true with Smartphones, and the same will be true with VR, AR, etc.

Nautilus

Banned
I don’t see how it’s an hybrid console, it doesn’t switch powermodes or even scale resolution that easily when connected, you can’t remove it’s controls like you can with the joycons and it doesn’t even come with hardware to connect it to a display.

It has more in common with a PSP, a handheld that can be connected to a separate display with additional hardware, than a Switch, that out of the box comes with everything to be played as either a handheld device or a home console with software designed as such.

Deck is clearly designed to be used as a handheld, not only but that it’s its big focus.
Sure, you can argue that the Switch is a better hybrid device than the Steam Deck because of all the reasons you mentioned. But the Steam Deck is still a hybrid console because it checks all the boxes.(Being able to conviniently and perfectly double down as 2 or more devices into one, whose devices are clearly distinct in the way ypu interact with them).

Saying that the Steam Deck isn't a hybrid console would be as ridiculous as saying that the Wii wasn't a console(and just a "toy") because it wasn't as powerful as the 360 and the PS3 because it was less powerful and had a different control scheme. Both have their differences, but what makes a consoles is at least the ability to play games(and have it's focus on it), and the Wii, 360 and the PS3 all check that box.

SomeGit

Sure, you can argue that the Switch is a better hybrid device than the Steam Deck because of all the reasons you mentioned. But the Steam Deck is still a hybrid console because it checks all the boxes.(Being able to conviniently and perfectly double down as 2 or more devices into one, whose devices are clearly distinct in the way ypu interact with them).

Saying that the Steam Deck isn't a hybrid console would be as ridiculous as saying that the Wii wasn't a console(and just a "toy") because it wasn't as powerful as the 360 and the PS3 because it was less powerful and had a different control scheme. Both have their differences, but what makes a consoles is at least the ability to play games(and have it's focus on it), and the Wii, 360 and the PS3 all check that box.

But the Deck isn’t able to be conveniently and perfectly being used as a home console because unlike the Switch the controls aren’t detachable, so you can’t set it near a TV and play away since HDMI/USB-C docks cable don’t extend usually beyond 2 meters, which I remind you again doesn’t even come with the device.

For the deck to be usable as a home console or desktop, you need additional hardware, like the PSP. Would you class the PSP as an hybrid console? Because if “tv out” is what’s needed to check all boxes then pretty much all handhelds since the 2000s are hybrid consoles since they all can be with different degrees of difficulty have TV out support.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
But the Deck isn’t able to be conveniently and perfectly being used as a home console because unlike the Switch the controls aren’t detachable, so you can’t set it near a TV and play away since HDMI/USB-C docks cable don’t extend usually beyond 2 meters.

For the deck to be usable as a home console, you need additional hardware, like the PSP. Would you class the PSP as an hybrid console?
The Deck was marketed with a dock, or rather being able to plug on monitors or TVs. The PSP wasn't.

The Steam Deck came with official acessories(even if it took a few months) that made what I just described possible. The PSP didn't.

The only thing in your favor is the lack of a controler and/or keyboard and mouse out of the box or as an official companion accessory to it, which is why the Switch is the better hybrid console. But that alone wouldn't disqualiffy it of being a hybrid console, because it has the capability to act as 2 devices or more out of the box, it is marketed as such, and doesn't take a workaround that was never intended by the manufacturer to work as such(As is the case with the PSP.

SomeGit

The Deck was marketed with a dock, or rather being able to plug on monitors or TVs. The PSP wasn't.

The Steam Deck came with official acessories(even if it took a few months) that made what I just described possible. The PSP didn't.

The only thing in your favor is the lack of a controler and/or keyboard and mouse out of the box or as an official companion accessory to it, which is why the Switch is the better hybrid console. But that alone wouldn't disqualiffy it of being a hybrid console, because it has the capability to act as 2 devices or more out of the box, it is marketed as such, and doesn't take a workaround that was never intended by the manufacturer to work as such(As is the case with the PSP.

The PSP was marketed with official component cables and even a dock and DS3 support in the case of the PSP go it wasn’t a workaround.

Hell the Deck’s dock was even delayed for a full year, so that should tell you how much off a focus it was.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The PSP was marketed with official component cables and even a dock and DS3 support in the case of the PSP go it wasn’t a workaround.
It was? I genuily don't remember that. I don't even remember anyone even using them.

Do you have a link for that? An official, Sony link confirming that it was indeed marketed as such.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There was probably motion controlled devices before the Wii, but it was them that popularized them. There were probably handheld consoles that came before the gameboy, but it was Nintendo that popularized them. There was probably devices that had analog sticks that came before the N64. But it was Nintendo that popularized it.Same can be applied to Pong and Atari.

What matters is if you can have a successful product, that is truly adapted by the masses, and not the one that did it first. The same was true with Smartphones, and the same will be true with VR, AR, etc.
The amount of people that bought or not the devices has nothing to do on what the devices are.

StueyDuck

Banned
People here in this thread grown up yet or are they still sulking in the corner about the fact that deck wouldn't exist without the switch 🤣

SomeGit

It was? I genuily don't remember that. I don't even remember anyone even using them.

Do you have a link for that? An official, Sony link confirming that it was indeed marketed as such.

It was one of the features announced for PSP 2000 and a big accessory for the Go, I’m not going to search through old Sony marketing items but it’s trivial to find trailers and marketing materials for such accessories, and it wasn’t anything “hidden” at the time either.

Last edited:

calistan

Component cables arrived with the second revision of the PSP, I think. It never had that capability at launch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People here in this thread grown up yet or are they still sulking in the corner about the fact that deck wouldn't exist without the switch 🤣
maybe because you came into a valve thread crediting Nintendo?

It's literally the same thing as going into an Xbox thread and shouting how Xbox wouldn't exist without Playstation.

Nintendo gets enough praise already.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The amount of people that bought or not the devices has nothing to do on what the devices are.
According to google, the first ever mechanical computer was created by Charles Babbage, in 1822. Do you really consider that as the first computer, and not the ones created in WW 2?

"The history is written by the hands of the victors". To have a good and functional product, you don't just have to have a good idea, but also be able to execute it well. So yes, the credit to creating something should go to the one that made the market or the industry to adapt it on mass, not the one who made it first(Though I think its important that both should be credited accordingly)

Nautilus

Banned
It was one of the features announced for PSP 2000 and a big accessory for the Go, I’m not going to search through old Sony marketing items but it’s trivial to find trailers and marketing materials for such accessories, and it wasn’t anything “hidden” at the time either.
Well I'm sorry, but I won't take your word like that. You are the one who came up with this argument, and so you are the one who should provide proof.

If you are not going, then this conversation ends here.

Nautilus

Banned
Component cables arrived with the second revision of the PSP, I think. It never had that capability at launch.
Ah, there it is. Even then, some links to proof would be nice if he provided it. It was never intended as a hybrid, and just came as an afterthough, just like the Vita.

Nautilus

Banned
maybe because you came into a valve thread crediting Nintendo?

It's literally the same thing as going into an Xbox thread and shouting how Xbox wouldn't exist without Playstation.

Nintendo gets enough praise already.
The truth is the truth, regardless of how people feel about it, or if some companies already get enough praise(lmao at this argument)

Or are we now Resetera, where feelings are more important than facts?

SomeGit

Well I'm sorry, but I won't take your word like that. You are the one who came up with this argument, and so you are the one who should provide proof.

If you are not going, then this conversation ends here.

Happy? Can we move on from this?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The truth is the truth, regardless of how people feel about it, or if some companies already get enough praise(lmao at this argument)
the truth is that this is a thread celebrating VALVE's success and impact on the HANDHELD PC industry. Not a Nintendo thread. There are plenty of Switch related threads on NeoGAF as it is.
If you're so offended by the idea of Valve making a good product that you had to jump in and downplay their system by saying that "Nintendo did it first" that says a lot more about you than it does us.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

Happy? Can we move on from this?
It's a revised version, launched 3 years after the PSP did. Not much different than the Vita with its TV output acessory.

It's apples to oranges with hybrid devices like the Switch and Steam Deck that launched with these features from the get go.

But let's drop this. The conversation obviously has run it's course.

Nautilus

Banned
the truth is that this is a thread celebrating VALVE's success and impact on the HANDHELD PC industry. Not a Nintendo thread. There are plenty of Switch related threads on NeoGAF as it is.
If you're so offended by the idea of Valve making a good product that you had to jump in and downplay their system by saying that "Nintendo did it first" that says a lot more about you than it does us.
The OP made a thread how The Steam Deck was almost solely responsible for this flourishment of hybrid devices, which is just flat out wrong. So bringing in the real reason for that, the Nintendo Switch, is completely valid.

If the thread was about how wonderful the Steam Deck is, how much I like it's hardware, how good its integration with Steam is, how games run well on it, etc then you would be right.But that's not the case.

SomeGit

It's a revised version, launched 3 years after the PSP did. Not much different than the Vita with its TV output acessory.

It's apples to oranges with hybrid devices like the Switch and Steam Deck that launched with these features from the get go.

But let's drop this. The conversation obviously has run it's course.

So is that revised version a hybrid console? The Deck also didn't launch with its official dock, it came out 7 months after the launch of the device, so by your logic it is an appropriate comparison.

The OP made a thread how The Steam Deck was almost solely responsible for this flourishment of hybrid devices, which is just flat out wrong. So bringing in the real reason for that, the Nintendo Switch, is completely valid.

If the thread was about how wonderful the Steam Deck is, how much I like it's hardware, how good its integration with Steam is, how games run well on it, etc then you would be right.But that's not the case.

Where did the OP mentioned "hybrid devices" at all?! All he was pointing was the handheld PC space before and after Steam Deck.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
According to google, the first ever mechanical computer was created by Charles Babbage, in 1822. Do you really consider that as the first computer, and not the ones created in WW 2?

"The history is written by the hands of the victors". To have a good and functional product, you don't just have to have a good idea, but also be able to execute it well. So yes, the credit to creating something should go to the one that made the market or the industry to adapt it on mass, not the one who made it first(Though I think its important that both should be credited accordingly)
Yes and who invented what also has not to do on what the devices are.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The Steam Deck was almost solely responsible for this flourishment of hybrid devices, which is just flat out wrong.
the original post was, in big, gigantic bold letters, and images, showing off all the new devices that came out after or around the same year the Steam Deck launched. You couldn't have fucking missed it. it was literally a before and after comparison. It was so simple. The extent of the argument was literally reached in the first page.

"its because of Nintendo"
"Steam deck caused all these new products to arrive"
"yea but without the switch would Valve have made the deck"
"fair enough"

There is actually no discussion or argument to be had here. Competition spiked up and new people entered the market the moment the Steam Deck came out and was revered and critically acclaimed. Aya Neo improved the quality of the Ayaneo 2 as a response to the Steam Deck. ASUS is jumping in with their own handheld to compete with the Deck, 1 year after launch & it will have a competitive price as well. Developers have been optimizing their games for Steam Deck, and Linux usage on Steam spiked up drastically to the point of overtaking MacOS. Companies like AYN are making their own cheap responses to the Steam Deck. GPD was literally malding and shitting their pants over the release of the system.

Nautilus

Banned
So is that revised version a hybrid console? The Deck also didn't launch with its official dock, it came out 7 months after the launch of the device, so by your logic it is an appropriate comparison.

Where did the OP mentioned "hybrid devices" at all?! All he was pointing was the handheld PC space before and after Steam Deck.
Again, there is a difference between them, because even if it took a while, the Deck had all it needed to be a hybrid console from day 1 and was marketed as such.

But to answer your question: Yes, the revised version is. Much like the Vita is when you get the Vita Tv accessory. It's both an EXTREMELY rudimentary version of a hybrid version, and those being revisions and such I wouldn't consider tham as such(And nobody does. That's why they failed as hybrid devices) but sure, they tecnically are.

Because this handheld PC space are in fact, hybrid consoles. Especially the Steam Deck, which is made to play games and only work as a PC if you go out of your way to install a Windows and such.

Nautilus

Banned
the original post was, in big, gigantic bold letters, and images, showing off all the new devices that came out after or around the same year the Steam Deck launched. You couldn't have fucking missed it. it was literally a before and after comparison. It was so simple. The extent of the argument was literally reached in the first page.

"its because of Nintendo"
"Steam deck caused all these new products to arrive"
"yea but without the switch would Valve have made the deck"
"fair enough"

There is actually no discussion or argument to be had here. Competition spiked up and new people entered the market the moment the Steam Deck came out and was revered and critically acclaimed. Aya Neo improved the quality of the Ayaneo 2 as a response to the Steam Deck. ASUS is jumping in with their own handheld to compete with the Deck, 1 year after launch & it will have a competitive price as well. Developers have been optimizing their games for Steam Deck, and Linux usage on Steam spiked up drastically to the point of overtaking MacOS. Companies like AYN are making their own cheap responses to the Steam Deck. GPD was literally malding and shitting their pants over the release of the system.

And the point I made is that the Steam Deck and everyone else were made in response to the Switch, not the Steam Deck. Obviously the world doesn't live in a bubble, and every single competitor ends up influencing each other, but the main catalyst always was the Switch. I already said to you that before. I feel like we are going in circles.

Nautilus

Banned
the point i am making is that

this is correct

this is not.
Let me put it this way: While the Steam Deck obviously has an influence, I do think that's mainly in response to the Switch.

Not me, nor you can know what the others were thinking when they made their own devices. So let's agree to disagree.

SomeGit

So if the PSP 2000 to Go are technically hybrid consoles, why are we crediting the Switch?

Because this handheld PC space are in fact, hybrid consoles. Especially the Steam Deck, which is made to play games and only work as a PC if you go out of your way to install a Windows and such.

And you need to go out of your way to buy a controller and dock to use the Deck as a home console, this is why this is a ridiculous argument.
And you don't need to install Windows, Deck has a desktop UI, which you can use without any additional hardware.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

So apparently every PC with the ability to connect to a monitor is now a Switch rip-off. Not that this is a feature inherent to the open PC platform. It's actually just a rip-off from Switch TV compatibility.

Man Nintendo is crazy for inventing devices that connect to monitors.

MacReady13

I’m keen on picking up a steam deck but those Ayaneo handhelds looks mighty fine. Which is the latest Ayaneo released that is far more powerful than the steam deck?

Nautilus

Banned
So if the PSP 2000 to Go are technically hybrid consoles, why are we crediting the Switch?

And you need to go out of your way to buy a controller and dock to use the Deck as a home console, this is why this is a ridiculous argument.
And you don't need to install Windows, Deck has a desktop UI, which you can use without any additional hardware.
Because the Switch is what made hybrid consoles popular? And yeah, everyone was influnced by everyone. Playatation is influenced by Nintendo. Nintendo is influenced by Sony. Xbox is influenced by everyone. Doesn't mean that what they created became popular and became it's father. Same with the PSP. It may have been a veeeery archaic precursor, but who the hell used as such? To the point that almost nobody remembers of.

A dock and controller is widely available and again, for the fifth time, marketed as a feature from day one.

Nautilus

Banned
Do you need a drawing to understand that the Deck and other handheld PCs are not consoles and the Deck and every other handheld PC could be a response to the GPD Win?
It seems to me you are the one that needs to be shown or just injected to your brain that they are hybrid consoles, hardwares designed with a focus on playing games in a multitude of ways.

SomeGit

Because the Switch is what made hybrid consoles popular? And yeah, everyone was influnced by everyone. Playatation is influenced by Nintendo. Nintendo is influenced by Sony. Xbox is influenced by everyone. Doesn't mean that what they created became popular and became it's father. Same with the PSP. It may have been a veeeery archaic precursor, but who the hell used as such? To the point that almost nobody remembers of.

You don't remember it, let's put it that way.

A dock and controller is widely available and again, for the fifth time, marketed as a feature from day one.

Was it? Now you show it, because the first unveiling, the introduction to the Steam Deck video doesn't show it as such it shows it as a handheld or a desktop PC.
And after that explain to me why, a dock and controller being widely available makes it a hybrid console but it can't be a PC even though the desktop UI is literally 3 button clicks away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom