• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had a stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or: I had a stroke in my mid-20's and it can happen to you. Also PSA: for the love of fuck sign up for Health Insurance.

Be warned: My story is a long one with many twists and turns. The above could be considered the condensed TL/DR version though I encourage you to read about the whole fucked up affair. I'll try to break it up and make it easy to follow so that it isn't just a wall of text. Apologies in advance for spelling, punctuation, grammatical, and all other mistakes I make with the English language. I'm going to blame this on the fact that I had a stroke (and just took a Vicodin) and not on the real reason which is that I'm a shit writer who has a hard time retaining the fundamentals.

The Initial Event: Work

It all started while I was work the day before Thanksgiving. I was sitting at my desk looking at my phone and I felt a twinge of pain in the back of my neck. I thought maybe I just twisted it wrong or craned it in an odd way since the pain didn't start out too intense. That would change as my shift progressed. The pain in the back of my neck went from dull ache to intense, somewhat terrifying ache over the course of the next few hours. I took some Naproxen. It didn't put a dent in my pain.

I went on lunch and sat reclined in my car with a pillow under my head. I could not find any position that would alleviate the pain. This started to make me worry that maybe it wasn't just a muscle spasm or similar benign random ache or pain. I started to think maybe I had meningitis. I didn't think this likely because I could touch my chin to my chest and I didn't have any other symptoms at the time (most common of which for meningitis would be fever). After a few hours the pain got so intense that I had to leave work early. I made the ~45 minute or so drive home and got into bed.

Spoiler Alert: The event that took place inside my noggin/neck turned out to be something called a vertebral artery dissection. It would be many days before I would find out that's what it was but there's no reason to keep you waiting, right? We'll get back to this.

The Aftermath: Home

So I got home and crawled into bed and slept for a couple hours. The neck pain had more or less subsided at this point, especially once I was in my actual bed. When I woke up I felt kind of... I don't know -- out of it. I felt feverish but I checked didn't have a fever. I went to pee and felt a certain lack of coordination but chalked it up to having just woke up from a nap. I crawled back in bed.

I sleep for a couple more hours and I wake up again. My neck doesn't hurt at all now but I still feel woozy and not quite right, I'm also very hungry. I went downstairs and poured myself a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. I chewed them up real good like, turned them into a nice saliva and cheerio goo, see? I swallowed and you won't believe what happened next!

They got stuck in my throat. They made it passed by tongue but not quite down my esophagus. They stuck in the bottom of my throat. I panicked and tried swallowing again to no avail. I went over to the sink and coughed. My cough was weak, weaker than it normally would/should be but chewed up cheerio paste came flying out nevertheless. At this point I'm pretty well freaked out but have no idea what could actually be happening to me. I tried taking another bite and the same thing happened. I tried drinking water and began coughing uncontrollably. At this point it became clear to me that I could not swallow food without it getting stuck, and i could not drink liquids without aspirating. That should be the main take-away from this section of the story.

Emergency Room: Part 1 - The Bush League | Possible Lawsuit Area?

I'm not someone who rushes to seek medical attention or the emergency room at any little thing. I posted once about one of the most painful experiences I've ever had and even this did not prompt a visit to the Emergency Room. This though, this whole thing that was happening right now I could tell was different. I needed to go to an Emergency Room and get checked out because my shit was clearly fucked up in some sort of serious way. So I did what any uninsured mid-20's person freaked out over a health condition would do: I drove to an urgent care because it would be considerably less expensive.

Once I arrived at my local Urgent Care I told them my symptoms (the neck pain, inability to swallow). After listening, the Urgent Care people said that I needed to go to an actual emergency room and refused to see me. It was clear they probably already had an idea as to what happened and knew they weren't equipped to run the sorts of tests needed to confirm what had happened.

The closest ER was located in a city that many area natives refer to as *place-name*-tucky. Kind of like Kentucky. This practice might not be nice, but it's not wrong. It's kind of a shit town and the hospital was also shit as I would soon find out. I say all this now but I didn't know it at the time. Plus, it was only about a 5 minute drive.

I arrive at the hospital and go to the emergency room area. I tell the receptionist what's happening and I get a bed within 10 minutes. Not a long wait, lucky me they weren't very busy. I see a doctor within about a half hour or so and explain EVERYTHING. All my symptoms up to this point. I'm not one to leave out details. I stressed the pain in my neck and how I thought it might be related to my swallow and I mentioned the overall wooziness I was experiencing. Their first course of action: put me on an IV steroid to see if that improves my ability to swallow. (It didn't.) After a certain amount of time I can't remember I become physically ill and throw up. I'm really not feeling so great.

Some time goes by and the doctor returns to ask me about the pneumonia I had earlier in the year (February). He mentions that I had X-Rays done which I confirm. He wants to give me more chest X-Rays in addition to a Barium Swallow Test. At this point, I'm pretty sure whatever is going on is related to my head/neck ache. I mentioned this to the doctor but felt he was thoroughly dismissive of this line of thinking. Quite frankly, I thought he was dismissive overall and not particularly interested in my case. For what focus he had, it was strictly on the GI aspect of my condition.

My chest X-Ray is normal and I "pass" the barium swallow test with some difficulty (having to swallow several times to get the shit down my throat). I should note at this point that the barium is extremely heavy and one sip will force its way down your throat through sheer force of gravity. If someone would just watch me try to eat or drink they would see -- it's not happening. I can't fake something physically not going down my throat.

I get sick again and it looks like there might be some blood in my vomit which is near my bed in a pink bucket/tray. The doctor comes in and observes this detail in passing before suggesting that I be admitted so that I can be seen by a gastroenterologist. I think "well that makes sense but it still doesn't really address the concerns I have about the neck pain and how it might be connected along with everything else." I express that to the doctor and he brushes it off. It's the day before Thanksgiving and this is a bush-league hospital so he tells me a GI probably won't be in for a couple of days. I decline being admitted to the hospital because something just doesn't feel right, plus, why pay for staying in the hospital for a couple of days when the doctor you're there to see won't be in. All the while, what's happening to me is NOT treated as an emergency. The doctor nods and walks away.

I need to use the bathroom at one point while at the ER. When I go to wash my hands I notice something rather odd. My left hand can feel the hot water but my right hand cannot. What I feel in my right hand can only be described as strange electrical-type sensations. RED FUCKING FLAG. I'll elaborate on this symptom later because it's fucking bananas. I don't know if I had this symptom prior to rolling in to the ER or whether it's onset took place while I was there. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to have been a thing that happened while I was being treated in the ER. In other words, I had a minor stroke while in their care and they did not notice.

I told the doctor exactly what I felt but I told him I wasn't sure when the onset of this symptom began. He did NOT seem interested and this information did not change the course of action he was taking. In retrospect, this is FUCKED. At this point the neck pain, inability to swallow, and left/right sensory differential are telltale signs of brain damage. Here is where I feel an enormous amount of resentment towards the ER, the doctor, and the bill I would receive from them.

I was discharged with instructions to return to the ER if I could not eat or drink. Based on these instructions I should have walked right back in as soon as I got to the parking lot because I STILL couldn't swallow anything. I was given IV antibiotics before leaving in addition to a prescription for amoxicillin. I did NOT have an infection that would warrant such treatment and was given no real explanation it. My release notes don't mention anything related to the left side/right side sensory differential or the severe neck pain. They only mention the dysphagia and nothing else. The doctor wouldn't even give me a note that got me off the hook for work the next day.

I drove home.

Home Again: The scene where Peter Parker discovers his powers.

I got home. I tried to drink a McDonald's Milk Shake but could not get it down my throat. I just kept coughing up anything I tried to swallow except for thin liquids that would make a B-line straight for my lungs. I spent some time becoming familiar with my new symptoms: nauseousness and the fact that my ability to sense certain things is cut in half in a straight line down the center of my body. I take an ice cube and roll it from my left shoulder, across my chest, to my right shoulder. In the middle of my rib cage I cease to feel the "cold" once it passes over to the right side of my body. I can feel things on my right side, but the feelings just aren't right. I can sense soft touches just fine but pain (like being poked by a toothpick) feels like a finger poking me - not a sharp toothpick. When I pick up a can of soda straight out of the fridge it feels like it's room temperature, like I just took it out of the box at the supermarket. In my left hand I can feel that it's ice cold.

I think "This is fucked" and get in my car. I drive to what's supposed to be the best hospital in the state.

Emergency Room 2: Electromagnetic Imaging Machine Boogaloo

I drive an hour or so to the state's top hospital. Best in GI, best in Neurology. I think these people will probably know what's up. By the way, it's Thanksgiving now. I arrive sometime around 5 or 6 AM. And when I arrive, literally feet from my car... I vomit violently. VIOLENTLY. Someone inside sees me and ushers me inside. I go through the initial process of describing my symptoms again. I get a bed right away and speak to an ER doctor, she takes notes and before long.... a neurologist comes to visit. Unlike Podunk shit tier ER Part 1 that doesn't staff a GI on the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, this place has a neurologist the DAY OF Thanksgiving. He has me do what turns out to be some fairly standard, simple brain damage tests.

"Squeeze my fingers as hard as you can. Good. Lift your left leg. Good. Lift your right leg. Good. Lift both arms. Good. Pull me towards you, push me away from you. Good. Follow my finger with your eyes. How many fingers am I holding up? Touch your nose and touch my finger. Good. All good. One last thing..." he pulls out a small finger full of spark wooden sticks (toothpicks?) He pokes me with all over my body. On the left side they feel spark and I can feel each individual stick, on he right side it doesn't feel sharp and it doesn't feel like several individual small objects/sticks. He takes note of this and orders that I get a CT scan right away.

Fast forward about 20 minutes. This place is really not busy... I get right in to have my CT scan. The procedure doesn't bother me but I'm worried about what they might find. The CT scan wraps up and I get back to my bed in the ER. A little while later the doctor returns to tell me that I have a paralyzed vocal cord. Something done fucked up inside my noodle and he admits me to the hospital. Things seem to be on the right track. Next stop? MRI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to finish this later because I'm tired of typing for now and despite trying to make it fun and easy to follow, it makes me pretty emotional talking/thinking about it. There's still quite a lot more bullshit that takes place between the CT scan and me getting the diagnosis that I had a stroke. I get two MRIs, an MRA, a spinal tap, and several other tests. It takes about a week. In the span of that week I do not eat ANY food of ANY kind despite trying desperately. Turns out Hospital 2 has a bit of a listening problem as well.

Rest assured, the story will conclude shortly if you're interested. For now, in conclusion: I had a stroke, I'm in my 20's, I was in the hospital for close to a month and I just got released the other day. I don't have insurance. All of this can happen to you and in some cases (like my case) there's nothing you can do about it. Except sign up for health insurance. BTW, sign up for health insurance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last thing. You can find my gofundme by googling "Just kidding!"

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
STORY CONTINUED
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

And now, part two of two part a multi part series on my stroke. I'll post this here and I'll also update the OP

Emergency Room 2: Electromagnetic Imaging Machine Boogaloo Continued...

So, a paralyzed vocal cord is what came back from the CT scan. That's certainly a sign that something bad happened inside my noodle, but what? I hadn't even really noticed, but according to people I'd been in contact with during the first couple days of this event my voice was really fucked up and horse sounding. I kind of just thought I was tired and thus, had some vocal fry going on. The point is I didn't even notice this as a symptom (and neither did ER #1). But to drive the point home... my voice did not sound normal. Which would make sense having had a paralyzed vocal cord I guess, huh? Oh yeah, and to give you bearings on the timeline this is about 28 hours after the very first onset of symptoms (neck pain). Thanksgiving Day.

I said in my first post that the next step after the CT scan was the MRI but now that I've had a bit of time I remember that's not exactly how it went. Following the CT scan I was admitted as a patient into the hospital. I met the doctor who would be my primary care physician for the duration of my stay at the hospital (excepting a short few day stint which I may go into detail about). For the purposes of this post I'm going to name all of my doctors after animals so that it's easier to follow along with the cast of characters. So... let me give her profile and stats real quick.

Dr. Peggy Penguin - Main Physician
Country of Origin: Spain or Romania, according to lastnames.myheritage.com and accent

Ability Stats:

Strength: 1. I think I could take her.
Perception (Ability to listen to what I was saying and take action based on that information): 2
Endurance: See strength.
Charisma (Bedside Manner): 8
Intelligence (Ability to diagnose): 1
Availability: 8. I saw her often and if I had a question she was fairly easy to have paged.
Luck (Ability to accidentally stumble into something in the realm of the correct diagnosis): 1

Dr. Bill E. Goat and Dr. Alfred Alligator - Neurologists
Country of Origin: United States or Canada
Age(s): 40's-50's

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.: All 10's. These guys here are the star of the show even though I didn't see much of them.

Dr. Peggy Penguin was nice but as it turns out she was kind of a shit doctor. Her bedside manner was good insofar as she seemed sympathetic and I felt as though she cared. She was also readily available if and when I had any significant questions of requests for medications. That being said, her actions and inaction put my life at risk at worst and destroyed my quality of life while in hospital at best. But hey, at least she was nice? By the way, I'm not giving SPECIAL to any other doctor. They're all zero except for the neurologist(s) who probably saved my life (literally or in terms of things I would have lost if I had more strokes).

While in my room but before my first MRI we discussed the possibilities of what was wrong and more or less things that I don't remember and therefore aren't worth mentioning.

I go for my first MRI.

They move me down to that section of the hospital asking me a TON of questions about whether or not I have any metal inside me. Thank God I didn't get that copper IUD, huh? I answer all of their questions and I recall a small portion of the conversation I had with Dr. Penguin mentioning that MRI's are extremely expensive. "Fuck my life" I think as I lay in the MRI section of the hospital for about half an hour. After that, it's go time.

The MRI people tell me they have Pandora and so I can listen to whatever I want while I'm in the machine. We all know they're lying but I tell them Simon and Garfunkel because I want something relaxing while I'm in the machine. I'd never had an MRI before but I heard that people with claustrophobia have a really hard time with them. Thankfully, I don't suffer from anything of the sort. I have nothing to fear from the MRI machine except for the fact that I have to sit very still for, what would feel like to me, a very long time.

As I said, MRI tests require you to sit very still. There's two details that come into play now that I think you should know. First, I've been kind of sick (cold, mild flu-like symptoms) for a few weeks leading up to this point including right now. Second, I can't swallow, remember? During all of this time I've had an increase in saliva and mucus that I haven't been able to swallow, so I've been spitting it into a McDonald's cup through a straw that I've had with me since I checked into the ER. Yes, this is very gross. Also, the prospect of having to sit still for forty-five minutes to an hour without being able to move and therefore not being able to spit out the pool of mucus and saliva that would accumulate inside my mouth was making me very nervous.

After several false starts ("Wait, wait. Let me spit one more time.") I went in. I don't know how I did it, but I did. Spoiler:
I'd have to do this 2 more times.
I think Simon and Garfunkel helped. I closed my eyes and basically tried to zen myself to a place where I didn't produce any spit.

I get back onto my travel bed and go back out into the MRI waiting area and wait for someone to take me back up to my room which happens after a relatively short wait. These tests take some time to interpret but not too long, maybe a few hours. I can't remember a whole lot about what happened between the MRI and the results of the MRI. I should note that I don't know who's reading my MRI results. I think there's someone who's job it is to specifically look at these scans and interpret them. Just a reminder, it's Thanksgiving. Later on I'll think that maybe the A-Squad had the day off and it was the B-Squad in charge of interpreting the results of MY MRI.

"Unremarkable."

That's what my nurse tells me based on what she saw in my chart that updates on her computer as changes are made. It was nice of her to give me a little teaser before Dr. Penguin can come in later on to explain more or less the same thing. The MRI does not show anything outside of the ordinary. No lesions, no nothing. According to the MRI I have a normal, healthy brain. But something is fucked up about my vocal cord, so what's the deal?

She thinks it might be viral. Evidently, sometimes the flu can fuck your brain up. So can viral meningitis. An infection of some sort is the path we're on for now and it's the path we'll be on for several days. Doctor Penguin says she had another girl in not that long ago with dysphagia and similar-ish symptoms. Her dysphagia was treated successfully with IV steroids. So she puts me on IV steroids and says they'll have to confirm the infection. How does one do such a thing?

Spinal Tap

Also a swab of the deepest, darkest corner of my nasal cavity. The spinal tap will need to wait until tomorrow, the nasal swab takes place shortly after Dr. Penguin leaves. It's rather uncomfortable as it's like getting a pap smear inside your nose hole. In fact, this is a lot like the brush they use:
ZIrKVR4.jpg
The results of the nasal swab come in fairly soon: I have parainfluenza. I already knew I was sick so this doesn't come as much of a shock.

Oh yeah, she also ordered more swallow tests. More barium for me.

Phe0tgf.jpg

More like Bari-yum!

Stay Tuned for Part Three. I thought I could write this in a single sitting. Then I thought I could write it in two. Here's hoping third time's the charm. Fuck my life in the meantime and I'll be around to answer questions periodically. Sorry for having to spread this out, it's just taking longer than expected.

Sai-kun

Banned
holy shit, that is terrifying

i am curious though, how was driving when you can only feel half your fucking body???

i'm glad you're alive

jesus

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Did you find out the reasoning of the stroke? Or are strokes just like lightning bolts that can come in at random and fuck you up?

Fuck that first ER account made me furious.
I can understand being understaffed and overworked, but your symptoms should raise red flags to even untrained personell.

holy shit, that is terrifying

i am curious though, how was driving when you can only feel half your fucking body???

i'm glad you're alive

jesus

Fun fact: I can feel the other half of my body. I'm typing and I can feel the keys under my fingers. What I can't feel are certain types of sensations. Pain, heat, cold feel like nothing to a certain degree. Hot enough and cold enough things feel like electrical aches that don't manifest in the part of my body experiencing the hot or cold thing. For example: I was eating a Quesadilla from Taco Bell today and it was HOT. I was driving in my car holding it in my right hand and I felt a really weird ache in my arm, shoulder, and neck. When I switched holding the quesadilla to my other hand I realized it was probably too hot to be holding without a napkin barrier or something. Also, when I passed it off to the other hand all those sensations in my right side went away. It's weird.

My swallow is about 65%-70% better now. Some foods are easier to eat than others. Some are impossible. I have to hack up the food sometimes and re-swallow and that can be pretty gross. But just in case you're wondering how I was eating something... there you go.

The sensation, lack of coordination, general feeling of feeling fucked up. All of that stuff will take months to recover from. The swallow might be 100% in another few weeks-month. I've come a long way. When I was released on Friday there was a 50/50 shot I'd aspirate anything I drank if I didn't actively focus on my breathing as it was going down. I just chucked a few sips of Gatorade which feels like an enormous improvement.

Jesus. I am really curious to read the rest of this story. I am glad you survived the first ER. I was once summarily dismissed from an ER with the line "I'm just a simple country car crash doctor"

deim0s

I can't imagine you driving while these things are happening to you OP. Hope you're ok now.

My dad had a stroke while driving, we crashed into a curb.

sfedai0

Banned
Im scared to find out your medical bills now. Also, we need to know your medical history....was there anything that would trigger something serious like a stroke?

99Luffy

Banned
Damn. A friend of mine also had a stroke in his 20s. He just all of a sudden lost feeling in half his face during work. He's better now but you can sorta tell that his expressions arent completely symmetrical on one side of his face. Kinda like Stallone.

jiggle

I don't know what's more scary
The stroke
Or the bill

Hope you get well soon op

Edit: your state have any program that helps pay for these?

Im scared to find out your medical bills now. Also, we need to know your medical history....was there anything that would trigger something serious like a stroke?

I'll update the OP with the rest of the story that will answer this question in detail. But to answer your question in so many words: no. There's literally nothing about my medical history that led to this happening to me.

Most people who experience what I experienced get it due to an injury. In a very small percentage of people it occurs randomly. Athletes have died on the field due to what happened to me. It can happen to anyone regardless of age and health status.

It happens because (basically) the lining of your vertebral artery decides to unzip itself like the inner lining of a dual layer coat. Blood slows down and gets trapped and when this happens it clots and once it makes its way to your brain the result is a stroke.

You know what might have prevented the second stroke (if I did indeed have a second stroke while at the first ER)? Taking an aspirin maybe. Having competent doctor(s).

where is part 2?

I'll write it when I feel up to it. Probably later today. In a lot of ways it's as fucked up or more fucked up than the first half. It takes a lot out of me to talk about it but this is sort of a catharsis. I'm hoping to get visits from lawyer GAF telling me if I have some recourse over the first ER visit and I'm hoping doctor GAF or other people who've had similar experiences step forward to tell me everything's going to be alright because I'm still scared about what this means for the rest of my life.

I don't know what's more scary
The stroke
Or the bill

Hope you get well soon op

Edit: your state have any program that helps pay for these?

The first couple weeks were funny. I was holding out on certain meds that would have made my life more comfortable while I was in the hospital because I just kept thinking about how expensive every little fucking thing was going to be. I gave up that line of thinking and once I realized the first week alone would probably cost upwards of $15-20,000. ($2000-2500 per day hospital stay, 2xMRI 1xMRA each test costing about $3000). That's my best guess for the first week but I haven't gotten all my bills yet. I'm going to be getting them for a long time.

My plan is to file for chapter 7 one I get all of them. My financial life is fucked for the next 7 years at least. America, fuck yeah. I didn't have health insurance because I was waiting for open enrollment at my work to start... mere weeks after the event took place. If my stroke had happened a month later I would have been insured.

shit, dude. Sorry about the crappy care you received. Good luck with your recovery.

Also, reading about the doctor in Hospital #1 reminded me of this: "How Doctors Take Women's Pain Less Seriously" http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/10/emergency-room-wait-times-sexism/410515/ and this http://www.elle.com/life-love/a32907/i-confronted-the-doctor-who-missed-my-cancer/ (there's so many similar stories/articles about how doctors disregard women's (especially young women's) symptoms).

So sorry about the bs you had to deal with.

Ploid 3.0

So crazy, you drove like that, and wow it's like you had some of everything working against you. Lucky to be alive, insane.

I had an aneurysm (my mom called it that) at 7. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was outside playing with crawfish I caught in a stream, and walked in the house after. Suddenly I couldn't stand up or form words. My mother thought I was messing around and was about to hit me with a broom (she was cleaning). Suddenly I'm looking up at the sky in my aunts car. I spent many weeks in the hospital too. Got to play nintendo games in the play room areas, had to learn to walk again. My only side effects are my right limbs have a nervous twitch now, and I can partially see in my right eye (peripheral only, blurry mess). Apparently I fell on a block at around 2 and had surgery and at 7 whatever must have failed.

Years and years later I learned the doctors gave me something like 72 hours to live when I was in the hospital. I didn't remember things after the car ride after the accident, just being in the bed after with visits from my parents (different city, and I had siblings), so they were split on visiting me. That sucked.

I'll write it when I feel up to it. Probably later today. In a lot of ways it's as fucked up or more fucked up than the first half. It takes a lot out of me to talk about it but this is sort of a catharsis. I'm hoping to get visits from lawyer GAF telling me if I have some recourse over the first ER visit and I'm hoping doctor GAF or other people who've had similar experiences step forward to tell me everything's going to be alright because I'm still scared about what this means for the rest of my life.

wow, glad you are well enough to type here. Take it easy. Sounds like a nightmare. Maybe they weren't equipt to deal with your situation? I was at a local hospital, then probably taken to a bigger hospital in the next city, and I know I was flown to the state capital where I stayed.

Get better soon, MG. I know you are a guitar player, I hope this doesn't affect that. Do whatever physical therapy you can.

Thank you so much for telling us your symptoms in detail. It can be surprisingly difficult to get serious accounts of stroke symptoms without dumb WebMD shit of "did you blink kinda weird? OMG IT'S CANCER", so earnest descriptions of these experiences gives me (and I hope others) a good idea of what to look for in case any of this happens to us.

nachum00

Man. I hope you get better OP.

My dad had a bad stroke a year and half ago and can hardly walk or move his left arm now. This stuff is really scary, hope you get better soon.

A big thanks and hugs to all the kind and supportive words.

A teaser of what's to come: nurses putting dirty, shit covered blankets on me, being told maybe my issue is psychosomatic and perhaps I need to see a psychiatrist -> Next day, second MRI. Oops, yeah no you had a stroke.

For several weeks: "You absolutely need in patient physical therapy."
Within an hour of the physical therapy people find out I don't have insurance: "We don't think you need physical therapy."

^^^^ Prepare to be infuriated by the above. It might be one of the most fucked up things about this whole experience. But really, it's hard to chose. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

Thank you so much for telling us your symptoms in detail. It can be surprisingly difficult to get serious accounts of stroke symptoms without dumb WebMD shit of "did you blink kinda weird? OMG IT'S CANCER", so earnest descriptions of these experiences gives me (and I hope others) a good idea of what to look for in case any of this happens to us.

Thank you. I have some very serious advice I want all of you to take very seriously as well.

1. Be FORCEFUL. This is your life. If you feel like something important is being ignored by your doctors do not allow it to be. Listen to your doctors but listen to your body. I don't know how different my situation would have turned out had I been more insistent during the early stages of this whole ordeal. Who knows what might have changed had I been given Heparin or aspirin at the first ER. I might not have lost the sensation on my right side.

2. You don't always have a choice of where you go, but if you do and you have time, go somewhere good. I was able to get an MRI and be seen by every appropriate specialist I needed to be seen by because I went to the biggest hospital in the state. On Thankgiving day. Even though the big hospital was far from perfect you can already see the difference in the level of care (and the breath of options available) at the bigger hospital vs the smaller one.

3. Don't wait. I knew the neck pain I had was out of the ordinary and I should have gone to the ER straight out of work. I probably had my actual stroke while I was laying down at home, the pain at work was probably just the dissection taking place although I can't be positive. My point is, go to the fucking hospital. If you REALLY think something's fucked up you need to be seen right away. Don't post on NeoGAF and don't take a nap thinking it'll be better if you just get some rest.

JackDT

Get insurance NOW. Before Trump is in office you can still get covering for preexisting conditions (and it would probably not be repealed day one anyway) but just to be safe, get it now and it will start covering physical therapy even though you already had the condition. That's the law currently.

Still have to pay co-pays on physical therapy though which SUCKS.

EVOL 100%

Wow. Remind me to never get sick in the States cause that is fucked up.

Glad to know that you're okay, you must be furious about the utter incompetence that the hospitals showed, since it seems like you did everything you could in your situation.

A big thanks and hugs to all the kind and supportive words.

A teaser of what's to come: nurses putting dirty, shit covered blankets on me, being told maybe my issue is psycho semantic and perhaps I need to see a psychiatrist -> Next day, second MRI. Oops, yeah no you had a stroke.

For several weeks: "You absolutely need in patient physical therapy."
Within an hour of the physical therapy people find out I don't have insurance: "We don't think you need physical therapy."

^^^^ Prepare to be infuriated by the above. It might be one of the most fucked up things about this whole experience. But really, it's hard to chose. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface.
Fuck. This is so fucked up. Goddamn you got it at the worst possible moment too.

olympia

we were wondering how you were doing in girlgaf. thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

...Holy shit OP

I'm hoping for no permanent damage

That first ER can get fucked and I hope you can have some sort of lawsuit against them or something

Holy shit, I'm sorry you had to go through that. And for what's to come. Those bills.... My cousin was in the hospital for less than a week and was just hit with a 30k bill. He had no insurance.

I heard it's far now likely for women to be told their legit medical issues might be psychosomatic. It's super fucked up that they actually did that to you.

Have you tried negotiating your medical bills? That can get the cost lowered by a lot.

Mimosa97

I can't believe you were able to drive by yourself all the way to a hospital not once but twice after suffering a stroke. Jesus OP you're one tough mofo.
Also how did you manage not to panic and stay calm throughout this ordeal ? I know I would have snapped at the first doctor for treating me like shit and not caring about the symptoms I was telling him about. Couldn't ask a friend or family to take you to the hospital ? Feels like you didn't need to go through this alone.

P.S : you're a pretty good writer imho. Get well soon.

ChrisD

That's horrible. I don't want to say sue Place 1, because as negative as I am in thinking this way, I don't see them not worming their way through with loopholes. But holy, SCREW place 1, and I wish they were sued for everything they have.

I know how it feels still worrying about everything. Anxiety is a horrible thing. :(

I hope that you get better with a full recovery. And seriously, give yourself a pat on the back for driving in that condition! That's absolutely crazy.

What I have always been told in the past is that you have to be able to prove the hospital caused harm by failing to properly diagnose and treat the issue. Not sure if there is a case here or not, I don't know how hard the proof has to be.

Have you tried negotiating your medical bills? That can get the cost lowered by a lot.

It can and she should definitely do that, if you can prove you can't afford to pay the bill, many hospitals will forgive a huge chunk of the bill.

But, a month in the hospital, with no insurance, she is still looking at a huge bill, I am sure.

I can't believe you were able to drive by yourself all the way to a hospital not once but twice after suffering a stroke. Jesus OP you're one tough mofo.
Also how did you manage not to panic and stay calm throughout this ordeal ? I know I would have snapped at the first doctor for treating me like shit and not caring about the symptoms I was telling him about. Couldn't ask a friend or family to take you to the hospital ? Feels like you didn't need to go through this alone.

P.S : you're a pretty good writer imho. Get well soon.

Nobody else was around and I didn't want to wait. I talked to my mom on the phone during the second drive that made it seem to go by faster. I easily knew how to get there and I was resigned to fact that the action was necessary. Everything became a lot easier once I realized I was having a serious problem that NEEDED attention. The drive to the first ER/Urgent Care was harder because I still wasn't fully committed to doing whatever needed to be done (or paying/going into debt to whatever degree necessary). I was more worried about the cost at first. Once I became more worried about my health I was just like... fuck it. Let's get it taken care of.

I heard it's far now likely for women to be told their legit medical issues might be psychosomatic. It's super fucked up that they actually did that to you.

Yeah, even with the bills being lowered by a lot I have over 3 weeks of inpatient care with drugs every day, doctors every day, blood tests every day, other tests almost every day. I'll negotiate them by filing chapter 7 once all the dust settles.

Get insurance NOW. Before Trump is in office you can still get covering for preexisting conditions (and it would probably not be repealed day one anyway) but just to be safe, get it now and it will start covering physical therapy even though you already had the condition. That's the law currently.

Still have to pay co-pays on physical therapy though which SUCKS.

I filled out the paperwork for BCN on Monday. Open enrollment is taking place at my job. Lucky me.

It can and he should definitely do that, if you can prove you can't afford to pay the bill, many hospitals will forgive a huge chunk of the bill.

But, a month in the hospital, with no insurance, he is still looking at a huge bill, I am sure.
When my sister-in-law passed away, she'd been hospitalized for 77 days, with chemo and treatments, and her itemized bill came out to $1.5 million (!!!) or so, even with Obamacare insurance. The hospital was able to knock it down to like $20k later on, though. There's a ton of wiggle room.

ChrisD

When my sister-in-law passed away, she'd been hospitalized for 77 days, with chemo and treatments, and her itemized bill came out to $1.5 million (!!!) or so, even with Obamacare insurance. The hospital was able to knock it down to like $20k later on, though. There's a ton of wiggle room.

That's great that it dropped so much, but it brings back to mind the question that will forever haunt me: why is Medical Care so expensive? It's freaking stupid. This is care for HUMAN LIFE.

LIFE.
OF PEOPLE.
WHO MAY LOSE LIFE.

And a Doctor who could save your life would easily turn you away because they can't get that green paper-fabric mix.

It's disgusting.

dh4niel

That's super scary. My grandmother had a serious of minor strokes in her later years and if it happened to me I don't think I could deal.

Get well soon, OP!

Lima

As a German this is so crazy to read. I thought Obamacare was something like we have here in Germany but after reading up in it it seems like doctors don't really like to treat you if they don't need to, getting appointments at specialists can take forever and like you said then you still have to cover most of the cost yourself.

That is so fucked up. The above wouldn't cost me a single cent in Germany. Like man it sucks enough that your sister passed and then they put this financial burden on you.

bosseye

Terrifying story. Hope you make a full recovery OP.

Honestly one of the scariest parts is the bills. A system where you can deny yourself certain treatment or specialists can dictate the level of care based on concerns about payment is beyond fucked. Beyond fucked.

The NHS has many issues, but at least payment never needs to enter your head. My mum had a bad fall a few years back and needed a new hip, all done on the NHS; ambulance, week in hospital, the operation and hip parts, physiotherapy and aftercare.....all free. God knows how much that would cost in the US even if you had insurance.

bebop242

As a German this is so crazy to read. I thought Obamacare was something like we have here in Germany but after reading up in it it seems like doctors don't really like to treat you if they don't need to, getting appointments at specialists can take forever and like you said then you still have to cover most of the cost yourself.

That is so fucked up. The above wouldn't cost me a single cent in Germany. Like man it sucks enough that your sister passed and then they put this financial burden on you.

Yep heathcare in the US is fucked up.

Foffy

Banned

It's the American way.

Literally fuck this country. Garbage abound.

Man, I wish you the best, OP. I have to mention, though, that your writing is amazing. You have a real talent there.

I have had to deal with the concept of brain-damage in my life as well - my girlfriend got into a bad car accident last August ( a drunk driver drove straight into her car ), and while she survived the crash ( a miracle in itself - I've seen photos of the aftermath, and they looked like death ), she suffered serious brain-damage. She is in rehabilitation right now, but she is getting off tomorrow, and she has recovered amazingly well. Even though the initial assessment about her future was pretty bleak, the neurological doctors now say that she can continue her studies next fall, and that work-life shouldn't be an issue afterwards. It's a bit of a miracle, since the damage she sustained - even though it was pretty severe - is located in those parts of her brain that aren't vital, or "important". For the next year or so she still has to put up with the fact that she gets fatigued quicker than before, and that she might be a bit slower than she used to be ( but then again it is something that people from the outside don't even notice - heck, me included - but it is something she is aware of herself ). Over time, even those issues should fade away, little by little.

The beautiful thing about our brains is the fact that they adapt to changes. The younger you are, the faster that process is, but it happens regardless of age. While the brain can not repair any damage it receives ( it would be like re-growing a lost limb - just doesn't happen ), it creates new neural pathways around the damaged areas, and compensates the lost functions with other, healthy areas. Neuroplasticity. The brain is a superbly complex, self-correcting learning-machine. It's pretty incredible, to be honest.

I don't want to belittle or trivialize your situation OP, but thank god I don't live in the US. We have many problems in our health care system here in Canada but getting fucked financially for decades ain't one at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom