• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought Cyberpunk 2077. What should I expect?

The Best Goat GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

The only game better than Cyberpunk 2077 is BG3.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
um huh? almost every mission has differrent paths and outcomes based on your abilities and what you choose.

for instance:

One of the first missions to the Flathead. You a bunch of choices during that whole thing.

- Do you go to militech before hand? what do you choose if you go to millitech?
- If you go straight to mission? do you pay them again or do you say no way?
- If you did go to militech and choose to use their creds to buy it do you use militechs creds insteads?
- if you didnt go to militech and didnt pay you just fight your way out and go home.
- if you did go to miliitech and used their creds you fight Royce on your way out and then get one of 3 militech endings to the mission. depending on what you did with them earlier.
The only thing I remember from Falthead (one of the more memorable missions) is the game telling me where to put my cursor and to press X when it gets there so I can watch the robot walk past the NPCs. I don't remember any of the options you're bringing up...and I think I know why...

The options your describing are like Choose Your Own Adventure books. You read to the end of the chapter...and then you can flip to page 283 if you want to do A...or you flip to page 133 if you want to do B.

All the options are "You chose this path so here's our linear gameplay designed for you." It feels incredibly limiting and oppressive. We, as gamers, have been oppressed for too long.

Even small nothing missions have multiple ways to finish the mission dpending on your stats and abilities.

Like theres a hospital you need to get into and steal something.
- if your tech is high enough you can use some locked doors and disable cameras.. sneal through.
Again...if you specced into this earlier in the game...this is the option for you. If you didn't spec into that, then you need to jump on a box and crouch through a vent which will plop you right next to the door you would have gone through if you put your points in the door hacking ability.

- if you have double jump and a high tech you get ont he roof and basica enter the room you need to be in.
- or you can shoot your way through the place. lol
While what you're saying is accurate, it still suffers from the following design issue...

halolz-dot-com-fpsmapdesign-1993-2010-doom.gif

The choices still guide you down the exact same path. It doesn't feel real. It's not immersive because buildings and streets aren't designed like that. There are locked doors and burning barriers preventing you from getting off the track. It's that scene in the Truman Show when he wants to go on vacation. "You can't go that way."

It snot really that linear of a game. i mean yeach some main story elements have to play out sequentially bnut it they didnt the game would be a lesser game.

I think the game would be "morer" had they designed the levels organically. I specced into a sniper playstyle and I found myself shooting enemies 5 yards further back than I normally would have if I used a mid range weapon. Congratulations Sniper, now go where we tell you.

SJRB

Gold Member
When your choom kleps a nova virtue but the corpo-rat netrunners flatline him before he can delta with the preem scroll so now your gonk ass is gonna get zeroed by some chromed-out solo if you can't fork over the eddie's.

Flabagast

When your choom kleps a nova virtue but the corpo-rat netrunners flatline him before he can delta with the preem scroll so now your gonk ass is gonna get zeroed by some chromed-out solo if you can't fork over the eddie's.
Love it.

So few games try to play on language and develop a specific in-universe lingo

Dcr1d3r

An outstanding AAA next-gen title. Are there flaws? Yes, a few here and there. But an outstanding game nonetheless!

Hestar69

One of the best looking games out but ones story that I just can't get into ( I'm like 15hrs in before I Stopped atm)

Kings Field

I just finished the main game and dlc within the last two weeks and it was a great game. I liked the mission structure a lot and the combat was pretty good. Enjoy.

ebevan91

Missing detes and sitch.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Solid and fun world to explore that harkens a fun in looking around for details. Good intertwined story that side content delivers well in how it helps add exposition with the characters you grow attached to.

Then when you hit the expansion it just bumps things up a notch in story with an engaging plot that is pretty hefty.

The way you can do Night City and Dogtown stuff is super cool when you're doing things for Judy and then get a call from Reed or Alex. Gives the game a more grand feel. The way the epilogue and story continues makes it feel so worthwhile as once you get attached you don't really want to leave the world.

Cashon

Banned
I've tried this game multiple times since 2021, and each time I stop around 2 hours in.

Visually the game is fantastic. But there's something about the gameplay that just feels off to me. It doesn't help that, at least up to the point of obtaining the Flathead, it's kinda boring. The first two hours is mostly first-person cutscenes, not much different than the third-person walk-and-talk sections that are so common now (Gears of War, Uncharted, God of War, etc...); you technically are I'm control of your character, if not the body then at least the head, but you're really not doing anything but moving forward or looking around.

I think they're are three brief combat scenarios in total in the first two hours?

Cyberpunk actually has decent combat. I can't say the same about any of the Witcher games. Well, maybe Gwent but that doesn't count.

Last edited:

Bkdk

The only thing I like about this game is to enjoy the city art, then some chars like Jackie, Johnny, Judy, Panam, reed, songbird. For the most part I do not enjoy the missions much, most are quite linear, boring and are stuck in a rather small area. There is also not enough interiors to explore nor sufficient variety of activities to do in the city. Gun Combat is passable. Netrunner is simple but can be fun for awhile.

Nasigil

Neo Member
Since you are pretty familiar with Witcher 3, it's highly likely you will enjoy the game. It's basically Witcher 3 but:
  • in Cyberpunk setting, but expect the same or arguably better level of world building, artistic direction, and open world experience
  • MUCH BETTER combat and RPG system, like not even close
  • Much better graphics. 8 years gap well spent
  • better level design for each mission because of verticality and non-linear paths
  • much shorter main quest, with slightly weaker writing. But still better than vast majority of RPGs out there.
  • similar quality side quests (which is very good) but I think Cyperpunk has less of them
  • think of Phantom Liberty DLC as something between HoS and BaW, both in size and quality. AKA one of the best DLCs ever
  • I do think at this point the biggest weakness of Cyberpunk compared to Witcher 3 is just lack of content. If you ignore the fillers and just look at the handcrafted high quality main quest + side quests of both game, Witcher 3 is probably twice the length of Cyberpunk, it just has more stuff. But Cyberpunk should still give you a solid 80 or so hours of high quality content, which is more than enough.
Enjoy!

KiteGr

Love, Death and Robots.

It would had benefited greatly if it branched more like an RPG, or if the starting paths mattered.
Think Deus Ex for adults on a GTA open world.

Roni

Gold Member
  • I do think at this point the biggest weakness of Cyberpunk compared to Witcher 3 is just lack of content. If you ignore the fillers and just look at the handcrafted high quality main quest + side quests of both game, Witcher 3 is probably twice the length of Cyberpunk, it just has more stuff. But Cyberpunk should still give you a solid 80 or so hours of high quality content, which is more than enough.
Funnily enough, this is one of the things they were rather open about before launch. Through their internal metrics, they found Witcher 3 was so long most people played it once and never revisited the game. So their goal was to make Cyberpunk shorter, but more replayable.

um huh? almost every mission has differrent paths and outcomes based on your abilities and what you choose.

for instance:

One of the first missions to the Flathead. You a bunch of choices during that whole thing.

- Do you go to militech before hand? what do you choose if you go to millitech?
- If you go straight to mission? do you pay them again or do you say no way?
- If you did go to militech and choose to use their creds to buy it do you use militechs creds insteads?
- if you didnt go to militech and didnt pay you just fight your way out and go home.
- if you did go to miliitech and used their creds you fight Royce on your way out and then get one of 3 militech endings to the mission. depending on what you did with them earlier.

Even small nothing missions have multiple ways to finish the mission dpending on your stats and abilities.

Like theres a hospital you need to get into and steal something.
- if your tech is high enough you can use some locked doors and disable cameras.. sneal through.
- you can just flat out sneak through the long hard way
- if you have double jump and a high tech you get ont he roof and basica enter the room you need to be in.
- or you can shoot your way through the place. lol

It snot really that linear of a game. i mean yeach some main story elements have to play out sequentially bnut it they didnt the game would be a lesser game.
That mission in your example is pretty much the only one to have many outcomes and choices, though?

Or am I wrong? Because I’ve played it at launch and I remember being disappointed the rest of the missions were pretty straightforward.

mitchman

Gold Member
Hey Gaf,

So recently I’ve been replaying the Witcher 3 on PS5 (already platinumed the game on ps4)

I loved every second of the Witcher 3 and its expansions. Now that I’m replaying it on PS5, I’m having a blast.

So I said to myself why not try Cdprojekt Red’s newest release and see if the game can be as good as Witcher 3. I bought the game new and I don’t even know what I’m getting myself into.

Are there any people who’ve bought CP2077 based on their enjoyment of Witcher 3?

I’ll be playing on PS5.
A game written by adults for adults, as opposed to so many other games. CP2077 is great, doing my 6th playthrough now.

Dazraell

It's a really good game. Cyberpunk has some of things you will immediately recognize from The Witcher 3 (fleshed out characters, focus on narrative, mature and adult themes, quests with large variety in tone, minigames, etc), but overall it's a fundamentally different game

Some tips without spoiling that I personally feel are useful to know:
  • The game has fast travel, it's these boxes marked with blue waypoints. They work similarly as signposts on The Witcher 3
  • Motocycles were the easiest and most satisfying way to get around NC for me. Whenever I was driving a car, I constantly had to change cameras as it was really hard to drive with first person perspective
  • It's worth to invest in Gorilla arms and Reinforced tendlons implants as both will be very useful to you. First one helps a lot with fist fight minigame, the other one enables double jump which is useful to get into platforms and hidden places
  • It's worth to do gigs (contracts marked with green color) alongside side quests and not leaving them as last. Gigs aren't as fleshed out as proper side quests and often rely on giving you an objective in a certain place and give you a complete freedom how to approach it. Some of them are really neat, but majority are quite repetitive. I made a mistake for leaving them as last and honestly, I didn't enjoyed them. They seem to take notice of it as gigs from Phantom Liberty are more narrative oriented and have some really fun choices
  • The game has racing side quests. If you don't feel confident about driving, no need to worry, these quests are pretty easy to complete
  • Make sure to complete gigs from Wakako as they will unlock a gig that is needed for one of the trophies
  • I found that focusing on allocating points for one skill tree that was most useful to me and then moving to next ones is the most straightforward way to play. Game has 60 level cap and I was able to max three skill trees and create a build that made my playthrough quite satisfying (melee weapon + netrunning)
  • No need to worry about buying houses until you will have enough eddies so spending them won't be a problem
  • Make sure to visit ripper docs whenever you have more money as they're offering implants in higher generations that have better stats
  • Sleeping at your house gives you XP buff
  • You can respec stats only once, but you can remove any perk you've picked any time you want
  • When you will reach Act 3 you will have a call from one of the key characters to meet them. Talking with them is the point of no return, so before you will start this quest It's worth to do optional content this game has to offer, especially side quests as some of them have an impact on your endgame. When you will finish the game, make sure to check the guides for other endings as some of them are hidden and require some specific actions you may miss otherwise
  • Start Phantom Liberty when you will unlock it (I got it right after starting Act 3) and play it alongside other side quests. The opening hour of the expansion locks you out from the open world, but you will regain it quite quickly, so you won't have to worry that you can't get back to the main map

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
That mission in your example is pretty much the only one to have many outcomes and choices, though?

Or am I wrong? Because I’ve played it at launch and I remember being disappointed the rest of the missions were pretty straightforward.
There are plenty of missions in which your choices affect the outcome in the base game and even more in the DLC.

Last edited:

FireFly

While what you're saying is accurate, it still suffers from the following design issue...

halolz-dot-com-fpsmapdesign-1993-2010-doom.gif

The choices still guide you down the exact same path. It doesn't feel real. It's not immersive because buildings and streets aren't designed like that. There are locked doors and burning barriers preventing you from getting off the track. It's that scene in the Truman Show when he wants to go on vacation. "You can't go that way."
I am doing the gigs right now and on almost every mission the buildings have multiple entrances and exits, and you can choose how you approach the objectives. The thing you need to get (shard, data, person etc.) is the same, but that's just like Doom where you are collecting the same keycards every time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ll never forget cyberpunk, marvel at the city, join cool characters on missions and cyberpunk even broadens your perspective on technology (the Johnny Silverhand chip) the game behaves like an open world mass effect 2.

Nasigil

Neo Member
Funnily enough, this is one of the things they were rather open about before launch. Through their internal metrics, they found Witcher 3 was so long most people played it once and never revisited the game. So their goal was to make Cyberpunk shorter, but more replayable.

What devs talked about here is the main quest length, which I partially agree with, Witcher 3's main quest is a bit too long and dragged in certain places, especially Novigrad.

However what I talked about is the total package of main&side quests, Witcher 3 still has significantly more content in total. Cyberpunk's shorter main quests didn't really result in more or higher quality side quests, they just kinda stays the same, making the overall size still smaller in the end. The game could totally benefit from having more in-depth side quests to flesh out many aspect of the world. I hope they achieve that in the sequel.

Top Bottom