• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me, or does HDR on most games look bad?

Killer8

HDR is spectacular however everything needs to be set up correctly. Your TV settings, the console HDR calibration, as well as in-game settings need to be tuned for it to really shine. I recommend checking out the Youtube channel GamingTech for help on the game side, as well as EvilBoris posts on the other forum.

Reactions: Dis

Whitecrow

Banned
Always looks washed out on PS5 for me. Looks great on YouTube. Don't remember trying it on the Series X yet. Did tons of testing with in on PS5 and never looked good.

TV still has amazing black levels.

Lots of people don't even understand HDR. So many thinking HDR itself gives the deeper blacks and the more saturated colors.
HDR uses BT2020 color space, while SDR uses Rec709/sRGB, which have significantly smaller color volume. So yes, HDR gives more saturated colors.

Another story is people using wrong settings for SDR trying to make it look like fake HDR, or using 10-bit color already. Some settings can make the difference not feel as big.

And again, if your PS5 looks washed out, you have the wrong settings.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

I dont buy that.

Alot of people buy a monitor even though it says HDR (not checking what exactly its capable off). Anything under HDR600 is basically useless.

Majority of the games i play at HDR600 are significantly better looking on a decent HDR capable screen.

Dis

HDR is spectacular however everything needs to be set up correctly. Your TV settings, the console HDR calibration, as well as in-game settings need to be tuned for it to really shine. I recommend checking out the Youtube channel GamingTech for help on the game side, as well as EvilBoris posts on the other forum.

I dont know what i did
Some value thing went from 2 points to 22 points
Another value thing from 400 or something to 1000 something.
Some blue value all the way up to MAX
Super resolution
And i swear

wXFrcn2.jpg

It looks even better then this screenshot taken with my phone camera this is an off screen screenshot.

W t f. Final Fantasy VII Remake was a PS5 game all along. Oh and also im having that next gen WOW feeling x1000.

This makes Advent Children looks like a ps3 game. 😂

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Alright, so I tried HDR again and I have to admit it can look great and does make a difference. When playing Alan Wake 2 the sky had way more shades of colour compared to SDR. I just hate adjusting it for each game. Also why is there no ingame option to turn it off on console.

Bojji

Alright, so I tried HDR again and I have to admit it can look great and does make a difference. When playing Alan Wake 2 the sky had way more shades of colour compared to SDR. I just hate adjusting it for each game. Also why is there no ingame option to turn it off on console.

Even with in game options on PS5 HDR signal is still turned on so picture won't look as good as pure SDR signal.

I agree that there should be option for each game to tickle in console os to launch game in HDR or not. Same games have fucked HDR mode and I had to manually disable HDR entirely before launching them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom