• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me, or does HDR on most games look bad?

Lux R7

Are u kidding me ?! re2 remake IS A PRIME EXAMPLE of game that looks way better with HDR.
Do not confuse how it looks with hdr vs how this game is mastered.

As it happens I have some RE2 pics playing with HDR on c1. no mods or anything.
N4iCOkj.jpg

02aM4f0.jpg

jY5mwuq.jpg

isHtpoT.jpg

+one from horizon and elden ring just because why not. HDR IS SICK
uqlo5f6.jpg

J2dGc6H.jpg

That's not my experience on the cx, it's washed out in hdr. Maybe there is some other reason for that

Ulysses 31

I've seen YT examples of HDR 4K blu-rays that were downgrades from the SDR 1080p blu-rays but so far I've not seen anything like with the PC games I've played.

Lies of P
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty
Alan Wake 2

What am I doing wrong? I’ve calibrated my TV and my PS5 in their system settings. I play a PS5 on a Sony X900h for reference.

Maybe I just don’t understand proper implementation, but anytime I turn HDR on in a game, the colors become super washed out and all of the black levels seem gray.

I’ve looked online, but I feel like I need a mechanical engineering degree to make sense of half the shit I read. Maybe I’m just dumb (entirely possible).

Is there a source that can just tell me what to set all of these games respective image sliders to so I can make my games not look like shit? I’m so sick of spending like an hour of my gaming time tweaking settings.
You need the correct HDMI cable, and the TV needs the appropriate HDMI input. Some TV's have both 2.1 and 2.0 (if they are new), so you must pay attention

The TV also needs high nits
(HDR10+/Dolby Vision). I believe the bare minimum to look good is 1000.

Leaned this last week trying to config my PC...

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yeah, some games are flat out bad when it comes to HDR. Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the biggest offenders. It looks washed out on any TV.

Rayderism

To me, HDR is all about the subtle details, whether it be in the varying layers of blacks, the whites or the colors. Once you find the balance, almost every other HDR game will fall in line and may only need minor in-game general brightness adjustment.

I initially tried that Vincent guy's way, but his way made everything much too dark and I lost fine detail in the blacks and subtle color gradiations in general scenes. I don't care what anyone says, that's just WRONG to me. Could be his settings worked for the TV he was tweaking on, but it looked crap for my TV.

I've come to the conclusion that no one can suggest an absolute set of adjustments for ALL TV's, only a general standard that will get you close, and you'll still have to tweak it a bit to suit your TV and personal preferences. Every TV model will have its own variances and theory on picture output. You just have to spend some time tweaking YOUR TV until you find the happy-medium that looks good to you.

I think I have my TV dialed in about as well as can be expected, considering HDR theory varies so much between devs/games/TV's. I'll tell ya, when you find that happy-medium on your TV, you will know it. Suddenly everything will pop and have incredible appearance of three dimensional depth to the picture.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I have the same TV as O.P. and it looks spectacular. You are obviously doing something wrong. It's also Dolby vision compliant and looks good if you set your console up for that as well. Make sure your hdmi is connected to hdmi 3 input and enable "enhanced" on the tv menu under the extrnal input tab.

Kuranghi

While a not-small proportion of HDR presentations are overall worse than the SDR outputs the main factor that's causing HDR to look washed out is just that your TV isn't up to it.

Normally Sony 90-series LCDs are a good start for HDR but your 2020 model was significantly downgraded over what came the previous 3 years and 3 years after. They reduced peak brightness to less than 800 nits and dropped zone count below 30 so any dark scenes with a HUD overlay/text popups will look washed out.

You should upgrade to a X90L or if looking to keep cost down look at Hisense U8K (or even U7K).

El Muerto

I've had better results with auto-hdr on Xbox than games that support actual hdr. Also my TCL Roku tv had better looking HDR than my new LG (non-oled) tv. My LG tv will just default to the dingiest picture if i turn HDR on and messing with settings does not fix it. I just dont bother with it and tweak it myself.

HDR looks amazing to me in Call of Duty Warzone/MW3 and in Cyberpunk but that's because I have a Samsung LG G9 OLED monitor. I didn't realize why the colors and brightness looked so good in those two games until recently. Samsung has a proprietary HDR mode called "HDR10+ Gaming" that those two games support.

xBlueStonex

100% agreed.

I remember playing through RDR2 for the first time and being surprised at how muted everything looked. The grass wasn’t really green, the shadows were more grey than black. A buddy of mine suggested I turn off HDR so I figured what the hell - couldn’t be any worse than what I had. The difference was incredible. Suddenly there was actual saturation and contrast everywhere I looked. It literally felt like entirely different game.

Since then I’ve mostly kept HDR off, albeit tinkering around with it on newer games. For some reason the HDR calibration in-game has never worked for me across any title. Adjusting the “paper white” doesn’t seem to do much, even when going into values beyond 1K. So I ultimately just leave it off and adjust the SDR picture to my liking. My LG C2 currently has black levels a little lowered, hue a little up, and sharpness all the way down (among other settings). The picture is absolutely stunning.

When screens went beyond 60hz to 144hz, my mind was absolutely blown the first time I got to experience it. Total game changer. HDR was sold as the same kind of evolution, but so far it just hasn’t delivered.

SenkiDala

Looks good to me on my LG C1 65".

That is exactly my tv ,most of the time I turn HDR off because well it feels lile everything is too bright or washed out!
Do you have a setting for it ?
I have the LG C1 65" and there must be a problem in your unit or in your settings. HDR looks absolutely PERFECT on the LGC1, the black are ABSOLUTE BLACK and not washed out at all. You need to calibrate your TV (even though it's weird since the LG C1 works perfectly even without real calibration).

Hogwarts legacy seems perfect to me. News to me about raised blacks in it
Yup, the black level floor is just slightly raised on both PS5 and PC (based on my own experience). There's a pretty lengthy talking about it, including HDR analysis + tweaks with reshade to overcome it:

This on PC or consoles too ?

Cheers
I'm focused on PC here and OLED Steam Deck by extension. For consoles, you could probably adjust your OLED panel brightness settings to circumvent things like black level raise, but that's less than ideal.

EDIT: The guide I linked to also covers consoles Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa :

Last edited:

Bojji

100% agreed.

I remember playing through RDR2 for the first time and being surprised at how muted everything looked. The grass wasn’t really green, the shadows were more grey than black. A buddy of mine suggested I turn off HDR so I figured what the hell - couldn’t be any worse than what I had. The difference was incredible. Suddenly there was actual saturation and contrast everywhere I looked. It literally felt like entirely different game.

Since then I’ve mostly kept HDR off, albeit tinkering around with it on newer games. For some reason the HDR calibration in-game has never worked for me across any title. Adjusting the “paper white” doesn’t seem to do much, even when going into values beyond 1K. So I ultimately just leave it off and adjust the SDR picture to my liking. My LG C2 currently has black levels a little lowered, hue a little up, and sharpness all the way down (among other settings). The picture is absolutely stunning.

When screens went beyond 60hz to 144hz, my mind was absolutely blown the first time I got to experience it. Total game changer. HDR was sold as the same kind of evolution, but so far it just hasn’t delivered.

After patches right now HDR in RDR2 is not bad at all. There are 2 settings for HDR, cinematic (shit) and advanced (what you want). In advanced game has proper HDR with good black levels and all...

But game launched with broken HDR.

Crayon

I have a real cheap hdr TV and I think that's what makes it not worthwhile. I can take pains to make one game look better than normal but then those settings make the next game too light or dark.

If I go to the store and see I really nice hdr picture, it absolutely buries anything I can get out of mine. I bet those would also be easier to set up in a sweet spot for most games.

Lies of P
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty
Alan Wake 2

What am I doing wrong? I’ve calibrated my TV and my PS5 in their system settings. I play a PS5 on a Sony X900h for reference.

Maybe I just don’t understand proper implementation, but anytime I turn HDR on in a game, the colors become super washed out and all of the black levels seem gray.

I’ve looked online, but I feel like I need a mechanical engineering degree to make sense of half the shit I read. Maybe I’m just dumb (entirely possible).

Is there a source that can just tell me what to set all of these games respective image sliders to so I can make my games not look like shit? I’m so sick of spending like an hour of my gaming time tweaking settings.

Buy an Oled if you want great HDR. You need true blacks to get that great contrast. I used to have your TV and compared it side by side next to an LG oled and the difference is huge. A good oled looks so much nicer dude and I havnt even seen the recent ones with improvements to peak brightness, tone mapping and hdmi 2.1

If you can afford it DO IT you will not have to ask yourself this question any more

Kuranghi

Once again I extend an invite to anyone wanting to come over to old young Kuranghi's house and see proper HDR on a bright, high zone count FALD LCD (which is the bare minimum for superb HDR, though most people should just buy an OLEG), because games like Death Stranding look so so much better in HDR.

Come on over lads/ladettes *pats space next to me on the couch with sinister look on face*

Simply travel to Scotland, UK. Either Glasgow or Edinburgh and stand in the town centre holding a sign saying Kuranghi, I will approach you with a balaclava on, blindfold you, bundle you into a cab and drive to mine (for doxxing safety).

When the blindfold is removed I'll have a beautiful game running in HDR, snacks and a beverage waiting, which I'll feed to you slowly throughout the evening. I'll be fully clothed don't worry about that.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Use this

If the picture still looks bad to you then it's a game problem.

I own a CX and followed Teoh's advice except for the piss filter, sorry. But I was done with adjusting each game. I play on console, I dont want to fiddle with the settings everytime.

Bojji

I own a CX and followed Teoh's advice except for the piss filter, sorry. But I was done with adjusting each game. I play on console, I dont want to fiddle with the settings everytime.

I was fighting warm color setting for a long time (and used neutral/0) but 3 weeks ago I decided to change every screen to warm (warm 50 on my LG) and after this time it looks absolutely correct to me, even white is not yellow anymore lol. But this is preference.

Some games have broken HDR and they look worse with it. Some developers only care about highlights, I recently downloaded saints row on EGS and HDR mode looks like absolute garbage aside few highlights here and there. I didn't try SDR mode so maybe it looks like shit too.

For comparison newest like a dragon game looks absolutely amazing in HDR mode.

Last edited:
People, HDR makes your TV show many many MANY more shades of colors and brightness and shadows than it would otherwise. It makes absolutely no sense that games in HDR (or whatever media, really) look washed out or bad. If it does, something is wrong. Switch setting on your console or TV. It isn't difficult at all. You're missing out on the beauty of High Dynamic Range image.

I remember when I first saw Batman vs Superman on my KS7000 many years back, the flashlight on screen almost blinded me. It's supposed to show that high peak brightness, as well as very dark corners and still keep them colorful.

Last edited:

Bojji

People, HDR makes your TV show many many MANY more shades of colors and brightness and shadows than it would otherwise. It makes absolutely no sense that games in HDR (or whatever media, really) look washed out or bad. If it does, something is wrong. Switch setting on your console or TV. It isn't difficult at all. You're missing out on the beauty of High Dynamic Range image.

I remember when I first saw Batman vs Superman on my KS7000 many years back, the flashlight on screen almost blinded me. It's supposed to show that high peak brightness, as well as very dark corners and still keep them colorful.

Many HDR games don't really use expanded color space, they use SDR color space in HDR mode.

Lazy/incompetent developers are making people think HDR is shit when in theory every game should look better with it on competent screen.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Guys. Please.

TVs store different settings for sdr and hdr. If your game looks washed out, most probably is due to bad settings.

Out of all the HDR games I played, only Cyberpunk looked washed out even with matching settings between pc and TV.

While console/pcs will output the same rgb range when switching between sdr/hdr, TVs need to be tweaked, because you may have complete rgb for sdr, and when it receives hdr, the hdr display mode may be configured to receive limited rgb.

When the TV receives Complete rgb but its configured for limited, you will get crushed blacks, and in the other case, receiving a limited signal and expectint full, you get a washed out image.

I have the LG C1 65" and there must be a problem in your unit or in your settings. HDR looks absolutely PERFECT on the LGC1, the black are ABSOLUTE BLACK and not washed out at all. You need to calibrate your TV (even though it's weird since the LG C1 works perfectly even without real calibration).
nope , no problem here ! I just compare games like GOW Sd to HDR , and the colors seems deeper in SD ! maybe its just my settings, oh well looks fucking great non the less

Jigsaah

Gold Member
HDR looks great on my TV...but on PC I have Auto HDR turned on. Something seems to happen if you try to turn it on in-game. It's almost like it a toggle and since auto HDR is on through Windows, turning on HDR in like Doom Eternal, for example, results in washed out colors.

Last edited:

hussar16

i usualy complot ignore the hdr setting om tv and go near max on the hdr brightness settings in the game etc ,to me the picture looks less flat and picture is brighter nicer to look at.

spons

Gold Member
my TV doesn't even have a 10-bit panel, I assume HDR is pointless on it.

edit: actually, is it really pointless? I assume HDR isn't just about color range.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You dont need an OLED for great HDR. There are some LCDs that give great HDR too but they are the same price or more expensive than 2nd tier OLEDs like C3 and A80L so that's why it's easier to just say buy an OLED.

The thing is that not everyone wants to spend a grand+ on their TV, so OLED is out of reach for a lot of people.

You're always have to deal with blooming and raised black levels in scenes with low brightness elements sitting alongside much brighter stuff (like the HUD) on even really amazing examples of LCDs: 2023 examples being Sony X93/95L, Samsung QN95C, Hisense U8K and TCL QM8.

Though OLED doesn't have the issues above, it has the tradeoff that very brightness scenes just won't pop nearly as much as on the LCDs listed. Especially in a bright room, a lot of people just prefer the brighter sports and bright scenes over the better overall contrast of OLED and better black level/lack of blooming. My source for that is speaking to about 25000+ people about TVs and them seeing OLED next to moderate and high level

Since TCL has moderately worse image processing than other brands and the X95L + QN95C are the same or just shy of the price of even a tier 1 OLED (plus the X95L is not available in sizes less than 85" in NA, QM8 isn't in Europe) this just leaves the QN95C and Hisense U8K.

3rd gen Neo QLEDs still have a subpar game mode due to rely too much on image processing that must be turned off in Game mode the choice is simple for me (and my customers):

Buy a Hisense U8K or pay much more and get an OLED, QN95C is you're a Samsung fan boy and Sony X95L if you're a Sony one. I'm a Sony fangirl and even I'd say overall the U8K is a better purchase than the X90L for most people, thats if you want to wowed by HDR both dark and bright scenes.

Sony image processing is ace but having 88 zones is not enough for dark scenes in HDR, the Hisense with its less good algorithm can brute force the better dark scenes because its has 8-10x as many zones

Killjoy-NL

Guys. Please.

TVs store different settings for sdr and hdr. If your game looks washed out, most probably is due to bad settings.

Out of all the HDR games I played, only Cyberpunk looked washed out even with matching settings between pc and TV.

While console/pcs will output the same rgb range when switching between sdr/hdr, TVs need to be tweaked, because you may have complete rgb for sdr, and when it receives hdr, the hdr display mode may be configured to receive limited rgb.

When the TV receives Complete rgb but its configured for limited, you will get crushed blacks, and in the other case, receiving a limited signal and expectint full, you get a washed out image.
I believe PS5 needs to be set to limited rgb to match HDR on tv.

Mister Wolf

my TV doesn't even have a 10-bit panel, I assume HDR is pointless on it.

edit: actually, is it really pointless? I assume HDR isn't just about color range.

There are a lot of HDR monitors that use 8-bit dithering to achieve High Dynamic Range of color.

Whitecrow

Banned
I believe PS5 needs to be set to limited rgb to match HDR on tv.
PS5 can output HDR on full.

TVs tho, although they can receive full both in hdr and sdr, are made with limited in mind, and work better with limited.

Full rgb is less accurate, although its hard to notice unless you know how a calibrated display looks like

Top Bottom