• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just want to express my genuine appreciation of Spiderman 2's most accurate presentation of ethnic diversity in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raonak

Banned
100% correct.

In reality, if I were Spider-Man and my aunt, who was practically my mother, was killed by some a violent, super powered psycho, I'd absolutely beat him to death.
In reality, you wouldn't be spiderman, you'd be some morally grey anti-hero who is fueled by emotions and desire for revenge.

Like this might shock a lot of people: But spiderman has never purposely killed anyone. Batman too. Most superheroes are like that.
It's not some western thing either. Even luffy and naruto don't kill people.

That's part of your problem actually is that you aren't arguing in good faith. You're just trying to pull a reaction in response to criticizing of your post.

Air pollution and water shortages is woke now? Food crisis is woke? A gay character existing in New York is woke?

No, thats not far off from the real thing haha. All of those are real things in New York and other places. As for your last comment, are you trying to suggest that its not supposed to be realistic? Because there's no way you dont see how that defeats your own initial argument. If you can accept that this new york isn't realistic because superhero ish events happen, then you can also accept that a group of five white criminals, which is also a real thing that happens, can exist in the game.

And yes, you agreed to put up with whatever they put in the game when you paid for it. Nothing was forced. Nothing was shoved. If you were averse to seeing air pollution and a gay person mentioned in a game, you could have not bought it.

I never said there was no sarcasm. I said there was no punchline. Because you're not joking you're being serious about this element of the game you are criticizing, you aren't making a joke. The sarcasm was obvious, its just not good sarcasm because it isnt honest sarcasm.

Im just as free to deem your attempt at "sarcasm" stupid as you are to make up problems in a game and whine about air pollution being mentioned in it.

Your entire post was trying to "sarcastically" highlight an implied contradiction by stating that all the criminals are white but non criminals aren't. That's literally the whole post. What else were we supposed to extrapolate from this if that wasn't your intent? Idk why you're attempting to backtrack, just own the post and argue it on its merits. Tnats how a discussion is had.

Hahaha I can. In fact ppl already have in this very thread, it's not hard. You cannot seriously be trying to argue that your cherry picked screenshot is indicative of the entire game can you? I can go on YouTube and find mobs featuring non white characters in less than 5 minutes, and you know this already. Like why not just admit you made a dumb comment instead of digging your heels in dude? It's childish behavior.

You are the one now claiming the two screenshots was just a mockery, and wasn't assuming the characters were white, so what point were you trying to make then dude? Be consistent.

Your fourth sentence is actually hilarious because it applies to your own claims here. Just because you found one crew of white criminals in the game does not reflect the game in its entirety, which objectively features criminals of various complexions, and is a part of a series of games from the same developer that features various ethnicities and races in their criminsl groups. Hell the first game actually had mr negatives crew who were entirely composed of implied to be Asians as a unique mob in game, where was this nonsense complaint then?

You made a bad post, several have called you out on it. Just own up to it instead of trying to muddy the original message.
Oh how convenient, it is you all the time insisting I made bad intent posts while I keep saying no and asking you for proof yet you keep failing to do so.

1.Again ignore all the context when arguing? I said the city is endangered and many lives are at stake while spiderman was doing all those woke chores, so you just ignore all the conditions and ask why the chores are bad? One of my research was carbon sequestration and water retention, what do you know? A gay character in NY? Can you even be more straightly ignorant? It was a whole mission helping set up dating for two teenager gay, gosh. Ditch all the contexts and claim others are stupid? I think that is way more stupid.

2. Yes I keep saying that, my screenshots are limited and cannot reflect the game just, how about you enlighten me with my request? Find a screenshots shown there are well mixed thugs just like the crowds? Keep dodging that, oh that the request must be so hurting.

3. Jeez, several have called me on it? So you are blinded that there are dozens more agree with me? Or are they all bad faith posters on the forum that try to defame a perfect NYC reflecting game?

Last edited:
The most heinous example of this was in Venom 2 when they're out hunting criminals to feed Venom and they catch a white man mugging a fat black woman, only to have her easily defeat the whimpy white guy all on her own. Fuck these people, imagine if it were the other way around and it was played exactly the same way with us rooting for the white victim destroying the black thug. Give $0 to any of these companies pushing this garbage. Watch them crash and burn.

Boss Man

This thread made me look up statistic and actually holy fucking shit, lol.

J4osAKF.jpg

Toons

Oh how convenient, it is you all the time insisting I made bad intent posts while I keep saying no and asking you for proof yet you keep failing to do so.

Stop embarrassing yourself. There are sceeenshots posted here that prove it already that you are ignoring. You can't just pretend they arent there and then say no one has refuted you.

1.Again ignore all the context when arguing? I said the city is endangered and many lives are at stake while spiderman was doing all those woke chores, so you just ignore all the conditions and ask why the chores are bad? One of my research was carbon sequestration and water retention, what do you know? A gay character in NY? Can you even be more straightly ignorant? It was a whole mission helping set up dating for two teenager gay, gosh. Ditch all the contexts and claim others are stupid? I think that is way more stupid.

I never said you were stupid. I said your complaints are.

You are so desperate to find anything to call WOKE when its spidey helping out black cat, a friend of his, something that he always has done in between his work. And there were storyline black cat was shown as being with women all the way back since the 90s in alternate future stories so this isnt a new change either.

And no, air pollution isn't woke. Its real. Do you think the 2010 animated film Wall E was woke because it has an environmental message? Is captain planet woke? Its like you're asking for all stories to just be sanitized to hell and not feature anything relevant to the real world just so it doesn't offend you. It sounds like exactly the people you're trying not to be.

2. Yes I keep saying that, my screenshots are limited and cannot reflect the game just, how about you enlighten me with my request? Find a screenshots shown there are well mixed thugs just like the crowds? Keep dodging that, oh that the request must be so hurting.

No one is dodging here but you. Its already been posted. I checked for myself and found black dudes in thug mobs in less than 5 minutes on YouTube.

That's how I know you're not arguing in good faith. You know just as well as I do that they are in the game, but you are stamping your feet and demanding i "show" you things you already know are there instead of just owning up to this.

Im honestly thing to respect your own intelligence by acknowledging to you that you are better than that. You dont have to agree.

3. Jeez, several have called me on it? So you are blinded that there are dozens more agree with me? Or are they all bad faith posters on the forum that try to defame a perfect NYC reflecting game?

Is that what you're here for? The upvotes? Is that more important to you than not spreading misinformation? Because if so, that's pretty sad.

Toons

Then why the fuck are they implementing current day, real life politics?

Because all fiction reflects the era it was released in? Going back to the dawn of time? Because its intended to release and be played by people living in the modern day, not the 1950s?

If that's too much for you, you can not play the game. The rest of the world shouldn't have to live in the past to placate your nostalgia.

Superhero comics have always included relevant issues to their time. Always.

Here's a hulk comic from 43 f***ing years ago that has been making the rounds. Pretty obvious why.
SxCfFRA.jpg

Here's a Daredevil and Cap scene from 1990:
s1XDTkC.jpg

Superhero media has always been like this. Longer than most playing this game have been alive.

Last edited:
Stop embarrassing yourself. There are sceeenshots posted here that prove it already that you are ignoring. You can't just pretend they arent there and then say no one has refuted you.

You are so desperate to find anything to call WOKE when its spidey helping out black cat, a friend of his, something that he always has done in between his work. And there were storyline black cat was shown as being with women all the way back since the 90s in alternate future stories so this isnt a new change either.

And no, air pollution isn't woke. Its real. Do you think the 2010 animated film Wall E was woke because it has an environmental message? Is captain planet woke? Its like you're asking for all stories to just be sanitized to hell and not feature anything relevant to the real world just so it doesn't offend you. It sounds like exactly the people you're trying not to be.

No one is dodging here but you. Its already been posted. I checked for myself and found black dudes in thug mobs in less than 5 minutes on YouTube.

That's how I know you're not arguing in good faith. You know just as well as I do that they are in the game, but you are stamping your feet and demanding i "show" you things you already know are there instead of just owning up to this.

Im honestly thing to respect your own intelligence by acknowledging to you that you are better than that. You dont have to agree.

Is that what you're here for? The upvotes? Is that more important to you than not spreading misinformation? Because if so, that's pretty sad.
1. LMFAO, embarrassing myself? The screenshots you claimed just have one or two black dudes, where are the diversity of Asian, Hispanic, Arabic as shown in citizen crowds? Can you please do a less sloppy job if you are gonna claim anything? It's just pathetic.

2. My complaints? I never complained anything I said it was a mocking, it was you tried to spinning my original intention. Jeez, did I mention a single thing about black cat, the gay mission is Brooklyn visions, all you can do best it to spin to win, right? Once again, the context is about this game and you had to derail to other movies, is that all you can do?

3. Let me repeat again, where are the all other races, all in one thug group just like the crowd? Or, let me request in a different way, find a thug group that are just one non-white race, try harder, could you?

4. I mean, at least have some self-esteem, you were the one brought up "oh there are several calling it on you" then I replied there are significantly more agreeing with me, and then you had to spin this to personal attack that I spread misinfo for upvote? How pathetic that you can't even have the ball to face the argument you started.

5. I know it's hard, you have no logic, no proof, no common sense but have to cling to your delusional claims such that your feelings are not hurt, I know it's hard. Keep crying, I'll be companying, it's okay.
Feelings Feels GIF by WE tv

Oh of course, "Anything I don't agree is misinformation!"

How typical, the woke mindset, it's really sickening.

Humdinger

Re. our reactions to the "woke" stuff in games, I saw this earlier tonight and thought he made a good point. He's talking about movies, but it applies to games as well.

His point is basically that it is best to walk away, to disengage from the product, to just become indifferent to it. Railing against it, getting angry about it, is a waste of energy. These companies are in control of the IPs, and if they want to inject identity politics into their games, they are going to. Our bitching and complaining won't do anything to change that. It will just get gaslit and/or written off as reactionary whatever-ism. The attention may even contribute to the game's success in some backwards way. If you want peace of mind, let go of things you can't control. Just walk away from these games.

Just the first few minutes

Re. our reactions to the "woke" stuff in games, I saw this earlier tonight and thought he made a good point. He's talking about movies, but it applies to games as well.

His point is basically that it is best to walk away, to disengage from the product, to just become indifferent to it. Railing against it, getting angry about it, is a waste of energy. These companies are in control of the IPs, and if they want to inject identity politics into their games, they are going to. Our bitching and complaining won't do anything to change that. It will just get gaslit and/or written off as reactionary whatever-ism. The attention may even contribute to the game's success in some backwards way. If you want peace of mind, let go of things you can't control. Just walk away from these games.

Just the first few minutes

I think most folks on this forum are not really getting angry, or "outraged" by those stuff, we mock, we laugh and then walk away, as this is the case for making this thread as well.

But your point is good. I can't control the woke corporation, but I can control my wallet to decide what to buy and what not. If the whole gaming is ruined then I can choose not to game too, there are so many other stuff in life to invest.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think most folks on this forum are not really getting angry, or "outraged" by those stuff, we mock, we laugh and then walk away, as this is the case for making this thread as well.

But your point is good. I can't control the woke corporation, but I can control my wallet to decide what to buy and what not. If the whole gaming is ruined then I can choose not to game too, there are so many other stuff in life to invest.
Yup.

It goes beyond woke material.

Whether it's a video game or a pair of jeans. If it's a shit product, just leave it. Let their head office scramble and fire people for making junk products. The consumer should not be expected to buy garbage product for sake of keeping a business (or game studio) alive. Thats on the company to figure out.

I work at company that doesn't get involved in politics or tweets. Our CEO doesn't even have a twitter page. The only time you see or hear the guy is when it's quarterly earnings time and he has to give a statement. Other than that he disappears and only us internal staff see more of his corporate memos. We just make everyday shit we all buy at Walmart and grocery stores. Almost all the stuff we make costs less than $20 to buy. We dont get involved in politics and woke and the typical consumer buying our shit doesn't care either. They just want a quality product at an affordable price. And guess what? When the company and people agree on that, they buy more of your stuff next month and next year.

How hard can it be? Sales go up, profits go up, only people we fire are bad performers, where the employee count goes up over time.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Because all fiction reflects the era it was released in? Going back to the dawn of time? Because its intended to release and be played by people living in the modern day, not the 1950s?

If that's too much for you, you can not play the game. The rest of the world shouldn't have to live in the past to placate your nostalgia.

Here's a hulk comic from 43 f***ing years ago that has been making the rounds. Pretty obvious why.
SxCfFRA.jpg

s1XDTkC.jpg

Superhero media has always been like this. Longer than most playing this game have been alive.
Oh, so it's just happening in a few old and new comics and superhero games.

You sure schooled me.

Boss Mog

It's literally a superhero movie. He's doing what any superhero would do.
Spiderman saving people who need saving, regardless of who they are and what they've done, has been part of his DNA since the beginning.
Hell, his entire origin story revolves around him NOT helping a guy who wronged him, which resulted in ben dying.

I guess these days, being a good guy = woke propaganda...?
You have it all wrong. His uncle died because he helped the criminal by letting him escape. Helping criminals killed his uncle and his aunt. If he had dealt with the criminals in the appropriate manner, both would still be alive, in their respective realities.

Last edited:

Toons

Oh of course, "Anything I don't agree is misinformation!"
Its not misinformation because I disagree with it.

How typical, the woke mindset, it's really sickening.

Its misinformation because its not true, and several folks have proven its not true but you refuse to acknowledge that.

I can't help you. You're going to find this seeing out of such arbitrary things very corrosive to your own enjoyment of anything in the long run soon enough.

Toons

Yup.

It goes beyond woke material.

Whether it's a video game or a pair of jeans. If it's a shit product, just leave it. Let their head office scramble and fire people for making junk products. The consumer should not be expected to buy garbage product for sake of keeping a business (or game studio) alive. Thats on the company to figure out.
Fortunately for us, almost no one who bought Spider-Man 2 on PS5 considers it a garbage product, and certainly not because pollution is mentioned, or because a gay character appears. Most can see a great game when they see one, and don't allow ideological filters and opinions to cloud their judgement of that.

There was a time when that was more widespread. Where you could disagree with someone's ideology and still appreciate the art they made.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
No, most of them actually. Those were just two examples. There are thousands.
You're missing the point I was getting at is that it's in practically every piece of media coming out today, including comics/games/films

Granted it was sometimes in comics and certain films, everyone knew this already, You're not telling us anything new

What I was getting at is it is in everything now.

Most games and films up until current year was a creative endeavour, a certain escapism from normal life. Now, current year is crammed in whether you want it or not.

There's zero point coming across as narky to me, I'm not the only one who has noticed it. As I'm sure You're aware.

Or is it me tanking the comic book industry, knackering Disneys stock, shutting game studios for pandering to woke nonsense?

Shit, maybe I did?

Boss Mog

The rest of the world shouldn't have to live in the past to placate your nostalgia.
What nostalgia is that exactly? In 2023 1 out of 3 New Yorkers is white, but in the game it's more like 1 out of 20 and that 1 is almost always LGBT. In 2023 I see news stories of violent thugs in New York attacking people and looting stores every day and in those stories the percentage of white thugs is extremely low, almost non-existent and yet in the game the thugs are like 80% white.

There's no "nostalgia" here, only purposefully forced on, agenda-driven propaganda.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

SxCfFRA.jpg

s1XDTkC.jpg

That just shows that the rot didn't start recently, not that it's a good thing to embrace. Teaching kids to hate their own country and feel white guilt isn't healthy.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The writing in this game is appallingly bad primary school level stuff.

I have absolutely zero interest in getting into some bullshit culture warring about this game… but the writing does indeed stink. The story is dull and incredibly predictable. I stopped playing after 12 or so hours, as I knew exactly where everything was going… and when I looked it up, it all pretty much went that way.

TheKratos

To be fair, I've never seen a diverse and inclusive group of thugs. You will find more diversity in public space. I see no issue here.

Shifty1897

I don't understand what the complaint is. Are we upset that the children's video game Spiderman 2, in which you play as a man who was bitten by a radioactive spider and then gains *checks notes* spider super powers does not accurately depict real-life New York City because of its predominantly white, mixed race gang enemies?

Elysium44

Banned
I don't understand what the complaint is. Are we upset that the children's video game Spiderman 2, in which you play as a man who was bitten by a radioactive spider and then gains *checks notes* spider super powers does not accurately depict real-life New York City because of its predominantly white, mixed race gang enemies?

Should we not be upset about games targeting our children with brainwashing propaganda? You tell us.

Power Pro

Stop guys, please. I just bought a PS5 for exclusives and you all are making me lose will to play Spider-Man 2.
I wish I was as lucky as you. I wish I had waited and been warned before wasting money on that shit.

In reality, you wouldn't be spiderman, you'd be some morally grey anti-hero who is fueled by emotions and desire for revenge.

Like this might shock a lot of people: But spiderman has never purposely killed anyone. Batman too. Most superheroes are like that.
It's not some western thing either. Even luffy and naruto don't kill people.

N835Bx.gif

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I really don’t see anything crazy going on in the game beyond warping the comic world.

But One could argue it’s the sum of the parts. If your kids see CNN telling them they are bad, school telling them they are bad, then come home and play a game where they are bad.. it all adds up.

BUT!!!

The exact same thing has happened to all the black kids who have nothing to do with gangs or criminals in which there are many.

Does that make it right? Nah but you have to ask yourself WHY DO WE ASSOCIATE ALL BLACK PEOPLE TOGETHER LIKE THAT?

My theory is because of politics. Politicians group all black people together because history shows the more you can group people together the more they are likely to vote the same. Basically “ you are not black if you don’t vote “BLACK!” And black is me! “Is the messed up message they sell.

Which would explain why there is no initiative to teach that everyone is different anymore as opposed to “ you are in one group and you should act this way”

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
But One could argue it’s the sum of the parts. If your kids see CNN telling them they are bad, school telling them they are bad, then come home and play a game where they are bad.. it all adds up.

This is it. Teach white people to hate themselves, teach the other races to hate white people. What a lovely world. Personally I don't think white people should have to live on their knees apologising for their existence and their ancestors, as well as having a target painted on their back. No race should have to live like that. No other race would put up with it, why should we? (Answer: because we are weak, and we get the world we tolerate.) Basically white people are being gaslighted and then we get criticised when we notice it and disapprove?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm upset at how absolutely braindead some of these stories are. The fact they're being fed to children is even worse.

And before you say it yes, stories for kids can - and should - be very smartly written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom