• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birbo

In spirit of the thread title, would it be utterly crazy to continue to keep rocking my 2500K with a new 1070 when they come out?

ISee

In spirit of the thread title, would it be utterly crazy to continue to keep rocking my 2500K with a new 1070 when they come out?

Well in my opinion yes. If true (still waiting for benchmarks to confirm) and the 1070 is indeed faster than a Titan X than your cpu will start bottlenecking you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk

comparisoncpusuqyuo.jpg

Just ordered a bunch of stuff, super excited to build my first from-the-ground-up rig! I got a Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor and a MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card. I read that the i5-6500K runs cool and quiet, and didn't need an additional cooling fan. Does that sound right?

LilJoka

Just ordered a bunch of stuff, super excited to build my first from-the-ground-up rig! I got a Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor and a MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card. I read that the i5-6600K runs cool and quiet, and didn't need an additional cooling fan. Does that sound right?

6600k doesn't come with a heatsink/fan. You need to buy an aftermarket one.

thundr51

Ok, I got the go ahead from the "boss" to get a new monitor. I've been looking at the Asus PB287Q and since I only have a 980 (not ti) I'll only run it at 1440p for games. Should I bother or is it better to stick with something that runs at max all the time? Suggestions please? Would like to keep it under 600. Would like to try some g-sync goodness but need suggestions.

edit: This seems like it could be good, but concerned since it's a refurb.

OkayRene

Hey all, I'm in the final steps of building my first PC in 15 years and while I'm waiting for my case to ship, I think I am beginning to second guess my PSU choice. I originally set out to build a quiet PC and one of the choices I made was to get a Seasonic Fanless 520W.

But now I'm suddenly concerned about a video card or any components directly over the PSU. Worth worrying about?

EDIT: I should probably offer up some additional info.

My case is a Phanteks Evolv ATX

And I planned on only having two case fans: 140MM Fractal Silent Series pulling air out the rear and 120MM flavor pushing air in from the front.

pestul

What's old is new. I'm in the process of upgrading my ancient X58 platform to a 6yr old $75 Xeon X5660. Good night sweet i7 920. I can't wait to do the benchmark comparisons. I actually found out this was possible in the 1070/80 thread, thanks GAF.

Red

What's old is new. I'm in the process of upgrading my ancient X58 platform to a 6yr old $75 Xeon X5660. Good night sweet i7 920. I can't wait to do the benchmark comparisons. I actually found out this was possible in the 1070/80 thread, thanks GAF.
Ive been seriously considering it. I want to ensure better performance than my OCed 920 before I take the plunge.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hello GAF,

The last time I upgraded my PC was back in 2012 and I figure it is time to do it:

Current Rig:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (Intel Z77 chipset)
Intel i7 3770 (3.4Ghz)
16GB RAM
EVGA Geforce 670

Looking at that, it is obvious that my graphics card.

I was initially interested in upgrading to a:
Z170 chipset motherboard (probably by Gigabyte) -$125-$175
Intel i7 6700K - $350
16GB DDR4 - $60-$100

and I would upgrade to either a 1070 or an AMD Polaris

THE QUESTION:
At first I was going to save up and upgrade all of it: motherboard, CPU, memory, and video card. However, after crunching the numbers and examining specs of my current MB/CPU (Z77/i7-3770) combo and comparing them to what I want (Z170/i7-6700K) it's starting to seem like it would be better to save the money and go for something like a Geforce 1080.

What does GAF think? Will the performance benefits of going from my current to my dream rig with a 1070 be worth it OR am I better off just keeping my current rig and ungrading to a 1080?

Woorloog

Banned
You got answer in the other thread but: Just upgrade the GPU. Everything else is fine for some years easily still.
EDIT Even just 1070 will probably be massive upgrade if you want to save money.

luoapp

Hello GAF,

The last time I upgraded my PC was back in 2012 and I figure it is time to do it:

What does GAF think? Will the performance benefits of going from my current to my dream rig with a 1070 be worth it OR am I better off just keeping my current rig and ungrading to a 1080?

I would just upgrade the GPU, 3770 should be fine for a while, and 6700K isn't that big of a step-up, imho.

^^^ what Woorloog said.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hey guys, looking to build a new gaming system (PC and some emulation, mostly PS2) from scratch. Read through the OP and based my build off Haz's Excellent and Enthusiast builds. Budget is $1,200, but I wouldn't mind cutting some corners and dropping it to $1,000. I want to be able to run Overwatch at max settings, 60fps at 1080p (and realize this build is probably a bit overkill for it)--also want to play the upcoming Warhammer games (Deathwing, Total Warhammer, Dawn of War 3, Space Marine 2 BELIEVE) at max settings. Don't care about 4k but I plan to move up to 1440p in the next year or two, to coincide with a videocard upgrade (probably the 1070 or 1080 after supply and prices stabilize) and a G-sync monitor. Also open to overclocking once I get over the OC jitters.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($268.00 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1190.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-13 21:21 EDT-0400

Am I missing anything essential? Any advice for where I can skimp or cut down on costs seeing as I plan to upgrade the GPU in 1-2 years? Maybe drop the i7-6700k for an i5 like in Haz's build? Do we have any idea if that PSU will work for a 1080/1070 down the line?

I'd like to buy everything and build it by the end of the month. Oh, and I was also considering that HP Envy 750se deal in the other thread, but decided to see if building my own would be a better springboard for future upgrades.

DBT85

The PSU will be fine for a single of either of those cards.

Probably don't need the soundcard unless you have a real desire. I've not had a soundcard in 10 years.

If all you want is gaming then the 6600k is a great option. If you do anything that might need lots of threads then the 6700k is the better bet.

scogoth

Someone should build the ultimate small case water cooled build in that. 1080 single slot mod, MDPC sleeving, broader well-e (is there even an m-itx board for that?!?!), I'm drunk. Love to PC-GAF

kennah

Someone should build the ultimate small case water cooled build in that. 1080 single slot mod, MDPC sleeving, broader well-e (is there even an m-itx board for that?!?!), I'm drunk. Love to PC-GAF

ASRock X99E-ITX. They're like $400 Canadian.

<3 drunk scogoth

pestul

Ive been seriously considering it. I want to ensure better performance than my OCed 920 before I take the plunge.
Yeah, a few threads at overclockers.uk pushed me over the top. It's a phenomenal upgrade for the price. It is a chip lottery same with i7 920 overclocking, but I've read 4ghz is a breeze (my 920 is at 4.2ghz). Any higher and you're competing with Intel's latest platforms. The importance of multicore moving forward is what made me consider it too. And the price well.. it seems worth a shot.

I got so excited about it I even bought a Xeon x3450 to upgrade my Core i3 540 Plex server. That cost about $50.

Mattiator

Quick question,
If you had to choose between

NZXT S340
Fractal Design Define S
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

Which way would you sway???

Thanks for any advice :)

Sarcasm

Just fishing as I have some ideas, but would like to see other opinions.

Buddy wants a PC for drafting (autocad) and light gaming. I don't know what light gaming means exactly. Parts don't necessarily need to be new generation as here I have to physically look for parts.

kennah

Just fishing as I have some ideas, but would like to see other opinions.

Buddy wants a PC for drafting (autocad) and light gaming. I don't know what light gaming means exactly. Parts don't necessarily need to be new generation as here I have to physically look for parts.

Any i7. Lots of RAM. Only SSDs. Whatever video card fits the budget.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quick question,
If you had to choose between

NZXT S340
Fractal Design Define S
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

Which way would you sway???

Thanks for any advice :)

Don't think you can really go wrong with any of them as all of those are well received. Some maybe slightly more than others, but its a wash. Probably best to go with the one that fits your aesthetics, component makeup, or space.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey guys, looking to build a new gaming system (PC and some emulation, mostly PS2) from scratch. Read through the OP and based my build off Haz's Excellent and Enthusiast builds. Budget is $1,200, but I wouldn't mind cutting some corners and dropping it to $1,000. I want to be able to run Overwatch at max settings, 60fps at 1080p (and realize this build is probably a bit overkill for it)--also want to play the upcoming Warhammer games (Deathwing, Total Warhammer, Dawn of War 3, Space Marine 2 BELIEVE) at max settings. Don't care about 4k but I plan to move up to 1440p in the next year or two, to coincide with a videocard upgrade (probably the 1070 or 1080 after supply and prices stabilize) and a G-sync monitor. Also open to overclocking once I get over the OC jitters.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($268.00 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1190.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-13 21:21 EDT-0400

Am I missing anything essential? Any advice for where I can skimp or cut down on costs seeing as I plan to upgrade the GPU in 1-2 years? Maybe drop the i7-6700k for an i5 like in Haz's build? Do we have any idea if that PSU will work for a 1080/1070 down the line?

I'd like to buy everything and build it by the end of the month. Oh, and I was also considering that HP Envy 750se deal in the other thread, but decided to see if building my own would be a better springboard for future upgrades.

Wait a few weeks and just get a 1070 and remove the sound card.

Mattiator

Don't think you can really go wrong with any of them as all of those are well received. Some maybe slightly more than others, but its a wash. Probably best to go with the one that fits your aesthetics, component makeup, or space.

Awesome thanks for the quick response :)
Ill have to do more research!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 4670k won't clock more than 3.9. I have an Evo Hyper 212. No idea why. Is it my tiny case being too cramped? It's a Fractal Node 304 next to a huge GTX 770. Would it be worth water cooling it along with my Pascal upgrade?

ISee

My 4670k won't clock more than 3.9. I have an Evo Hyper 212. No idea why. Is it my tiny case being too cramped? It's a Fractal Node 304 next to a huge GTX 770. Would it be worth water cooling it along with my Pascal upgrade?

Sometimes you just get unlucky during the silicon lottery.
But, most probably, you just need to increase core voltage a bit.

Mohasus

Only if you are gaming above 60 fps. In that GTAV example, you would just need to lower a couple of graphical settings to have that locked framerate.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sometimes you just get unlucky during the silicon lottery.
But, most probably, you just need to increase core voltage a bit.
Chip overheats and I've heard locked it by increasing voltage.

What vcore are you using?
1.3 max, I think. It's probably less than that, tbh. I've upped it a bit and the cpu will lock up. I tried Prime 95 and as is, it'll get to max of 90ish but stable around mid 80s.

I wonder if I need to reapply thermal paste? Does the tiny computer case matter?

ISee

1.3 max, I think. It's probably less than that, tbh. I've upped it a bit and the cpu will lock up. I tried Prime 95 and as is, it'll get to max of 90ish but stable around mid 80s.

I wonder if I need to reapply thermal paste? Does the tiny computer case matter?

If it overheats, than by all means don't increase the voltage! And yes of course a tiny case can inflict with heat dissipation, but your problem might be a specific prime 95 issue as recent versions of prime95 run AVX instructions on the FPU that leads to unrealistically high temperatures especially on intel haswell (or better) CPUs, it can even permanently damage your cpu (according to people on other forums) and is not recommended at all! So please stop using prime95 after version 26.6.
IMO you're better off using other tools like aida 64.

LilJoka

For haswell you might want to stick to non avx2 stress tests like aida64, x264 bench, realbench.

I have the same case. It will obviously impact temps but isn't going to make a difference on the silicon lottery. I run a 6700k at 4.5Ghz. The motherboard can make a difference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom