• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kama_1082

Banned
Ok, I have a question.

I'm playing sleeping dogs on a 4K TV set to 4K at medium settings, vsync on with a GTX 970. I've been getting the horizontal wave coming down the screen. I have my framerate locked at 59.9. Should I turn off vsync or go to 1080p?

Erebus

NcYBPhw.jpg

This came out of nowhere :-(
I bet my graphics card is dying?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
NcYBPhw.jpg

Pretty sure the GPU doesn't handle that, more likely your Motherboard or CPU maybe?

Easily way to tell is just take out your GPU so the integrated graphics card in your CPU takes over.

Hi guys,

I built the GAF enthusiast PC last year (my first build), but I wanted to give my PC something since I haven't done anything to it in awhile and I'm itching to do some kind of upgrade

Current specs:

• i7 4770K 3.5 ghz
  • Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
  • 16gb ram
  • EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 3GB
  • Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
  • 2 TB WD HDD
  • Coolermaster v750
  • Fractal Define R4 case
  • Xonar DGX sound card
  • ASUS VE278H monitr

If you have $400 to burn, are there any worthwhile upgrades you would get or would you wait?

OC your cpu and save up for a 980 Ti.

Erebus

Pretty sure the GPU doesn't handle that, more likely your Motherboard or CPU maybe?

Easily way to tell is just take out your GPU so the integrated graphics card in your CPU takes over.

I really wish it is the GPU. I can't afford a new CPU + Mobo right now.

I will find out tomorrow.

Water

I'm having second thoughts about going with the Silverstone FT05 for case. Considering an ITX setup with Cooltek W1 (aka Jonsbo W1, Rosewill Legacy W1) instead. That should net me not only a cheaper build, but a much more easily transported box, and even fits more drives. Also, it seems like Wifi is included in most ITX mobos, but does not carry the super-premium price there that it does if you want it on a non-ITX mobo. I like having Intel networking, wired and wireless, over other brands; also would prefer to have USB 3.1 Type C and Displayport on mobo.

There aren't any reviews of the Z170 ITX mobos yet, but Asrock Fatality and MSI models seemed well featured, Gigabyte not so much, and EVGA's model didn't even have Wifi. Asus has not announced Z170 ITX models yet.

edit: Cooltek W1 in silver: http://www.jonsbo.eu/media/image/145354e86ebb94d.jpg

RGM79

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5703278

z4WMQ4Nh.png

Pretty much maxed out. Even 1 extra Mhz on the core causes a driver crash. I don't think I will be able to go any higher without a modified bios and watercooling. Still puts me in the top 50 for 4 cores and 1 GPU.

Are you sure you're at the limit of stability? For me, 95% of games and programs ran well when I overclocked, but there were a few programs like GTAV that would stress my system far enough that it could get it to crash despite being stable for everything else, so I ended up clocking it down just a bit for guaranteed stability.

paskowitz

Are you sure you're at the limit of stability? For me, 95% of games and programs ran well when I overclocked, but there were a few programs like GTAV that would stress my system far enough that it could get it to crash despite being stable for everything else, so I ended up clocking it down just a bit for guaranteed stability.

For 3DMark this is the limit. I can probably run higher in certain games, but there isn't a massive benefit between 1500Mhz and 1545 (some games can take this much, just not 3DMark). 1500 is stable in all games for me so I just leave it there. I really need to get a 4K/Gsync monitor so I can actually take advantage of my 980 TI Classy. Hopefully there is a good sale this holiday.

LilJoka

For 3DMark this is the limit. I can probably run higher in certain games, but there isn't a massive benefit between 1500Mhz and 1545 (some games can take this much, just not 3DMark). 1500 is stable in all games for me so I just leave it there. I really need to get a 4K/Gsync monitor so I can actually take advantage of my 980 TI Classy. Hopefully there is a good sale this holiday.

For comparison, i run 1545Mhz on a 970, my GPU score is about 14000.

I'm starting to get concerned that I might've ordered the wrong Z170 MoBo. There are so many more hits on Google, reviews and info on the Z170-A but I ordered the Z170-P. Did I make the wrong choice going with the '-P' combined with the i7 6700k?

Please tell me in terms of actual performance (the extra connectivity, extra GPU possibility, better audio and all that, don't really matter to me that much), it shouldn't be worse than the '-A'?

Izayoi

Banned
I hear OCing it is easy, but I don't want to mess it up. I really don't understand what's going on in the guides. I think I'll save up for the GPU though, the 500gb SSD deal sounds good too
It's very easy to push recent Intel architectures pretty far without damaging them in any way.

Follow any beginner guide for Haswell overclocking and you will be fine.

This is a particularly good one for beginners. These two are a little more in-depth, and might seem a bit daunting at first.

I highly recommend at least giving it a shot.

DMTripper

Hi all,

I've been a console gamer all my life-over 30 yrs! I'm really considering getting a gaming PC. My budget is £800 and all I want is a small form PC that I can hook up to my TV and play games on that. I do not want a large tower and i have no space for a monitor and desk.

So far I've looked at 3 options:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-alpha/pd Alienware alpha i5, This looks like a console experience in a tiny form. Alienware have there own hivemind UI and it looks super simple to use. Is this ok for the money tho?

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=20468 I've read some good things about these guys. I think its more powerful than the alienware although larger.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/15...-Elite-Aquila-Pro-Mini-Gaming-PC/CCL-EL-AQUP/ This is supposed to be a great site for PC parts.

Please would someone help? I REALLY don't wanna build my own. first im a total n00b and 2nd i have the cash and time is valuable to me. I just want like I said to have a console kind of experience on my TV....Is this even possible? Should i just stick to my PS4?

I would like something that is pretty future proof. after all £800 is a lot of money! I'm not suggesting that everything should be 1080p 60fps, but i wanna play games like arma3, dayz, civ 5 etc.

Any help would be great, as I'm really confused :/

I'm starting to get concerned that I might've ordered the wrong Z170 MoBo. There are so many more hits on Google, reviews and info on the Z170-A but I ordered the Z170-P. Did I make the wrong choice going with the '-P' combined with the i7 6700k?

Please tell me in terms of actual performance (the extra connectivity, extra GPU possibility, better audio and all that, don't really matter to me that much), it shouldn't be worse than the '-A'?

The A has some extra bells and whistles but basic performance is going to be the same. See differences here:
http://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z170/compare/

Another SSD? Right now Amazon has the 500GB 850 Evo for only $179($90 off normal price). I'm almost tempted to pick it up myself, but I don't really need it since I already have a 500gb SSD with room to spare.

Pretty sure ~$180 is the price they go for now. Just Amazon showing ages old MSRP,

Picked one up from newegg's ebay store for $150 a couple days ago, and I think they drop to that price pretty often.

RGM79

Don't think so. 840 Evo is still $258.

Still a good deal either way.

The 500GB 850 Evo has been at $180 from various retailers for about three months now according to PCPartPicker's price tracker. Anything higher is just an inflated "regular" price.

Both versions of the 500GB 840 Evo ([1][2]) are priced that high because they were from before SSDs dropped in price, and they will never drop in price because they are discontinued now, unless any retailers that still have them will decide to clear out remaining inventory.

The Crucial BX100 500GB model is $160 now, though.

LilJoka

Not really a good comparison. 980s and 970s clock higher but have much lower bandwidth among other things. Apples to watermelons.

Just saying your score is very impressive. Considering i have literally no issues running close to Ultra in all games at 1080p60, the 980Ti is insanely fast. My OC is on the upper end of the scale for game stability, i can bench 1620Mhz on 3DMark.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I got my new mobo and cpu installed. Thanks again for the advice RGM79, I couldn't be happier!

I started the computer up without a fresh OS install and everything is working fine. I didn't have much installed since I upgraded to Windows 10. So far all drivers and everything are working great.

What kinds of problems does this typically cause? How long until I would notice--when drivers update?

RGM79

So I got my new mobo and cpu installed. Thanks again for the advice RGM79, I couldn't be happier!

I started the computer up without a fresh OS install and everything is working fine. I didn't have much installed since I upgraded to Windows 10. So far all drivers and everything are working great.

What kinds of problems does this typically cause? How long until I would notice--when drivers update?

Can't say for sure if you'll encounter issues in the future or not, but maybe check device manager and see if anything is missing drivers. Otherwise if you meant you already took a look and everything is fine, then you should be good to go.

lOTl

Banned
Are the mobos for i7-5820 still getting new revisions such as USB 3.1 / thunderbolt?

I built a really nice (in my mind) system in 2011 with an i5 2500k.
Plotting an upgrade to i7-5820 since its 6 real cores is almost exactly double the performance of the 2500k.
I made a few mistakes that time due to PCIE bandwidth and too many PCI devices. I cannot read SDXC currently and that would be nice to have built in.
So... SDXC / media reader recommendations with solid driver support? Recommended wifi-AC USB dongle and Bluetooth 4.1 dongle with solid driver support?

Are the mobos for i7-5820 still getting new revisions such as USB 3.1 / thunderbolt?

I built a really nice (in my mind) system in 2011 with an i5 2500k.
Plotting an upgrade to i7-5820 since its 6 real cores is almost exactly double the performance of the 2500k.
I made a few mistakes that time due to PCIE bandwidth and too many PCI devices. I cannot read SDXC currently and that would be nice to have built in.
So... SDXC / media reader recommendations with solid driver support? Recommended wifi-AC USB dongle and Bluetooth 4.1 dongle with solid driver support?

There are some X99 boards with 3.1. Check Asus, ASRock, and I think MSI. Between those though I would stick to Asus (Gigabyte being my favourite but I'm not sure if their X99 boards support 3.1).

Celcius

°Temp. member
NcYBPhw.jpg

Actually, that would be caused by the videocard. What appears on your screen is being rendered by the videocard whether you're in windows or in the bios. Trying the integrated graphics would be a good way to verify, but just speaking from experience... a display that looks like that is most likely caused by a faulty graphics card.

Actually, that would be caused by the videocard. What appears on your screen is being rendered by the videocard whether you're in windows or in the bios. Trying the integrated graphics would be a good way to verify, but just speaking from experience... a display that looks like that is most likely caused by a faulty graphics card.

I don't think the video card drivers are loaded at that screen. I think this is probably the integrated graphics issue.

The GPU loads when Windows boots if I think I'm right, because when you go into safe mode, it boots into integrated graphics with as few drivers as possible.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't think the video card drivers are loaded at that screen. I think this is probably the integrated graphics issue.

The GPU loads when Windows boots if I think I'm right, because when you go into safe mode, it boots into integrated graphics with as few drivers as possible.

This (most likely) isn't a software or drivers issue, it's a hardware issue. We'll see for sure when Erebus reports back though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yes, but GPU hardware isn't working if drivers aren't loaded.

At that screen, it's in bios.

Ask yourself this - the cable that's connected from his computer to his monitor... is it plugged into his videocard or straight into the motherboard? If it's plugged into the videocard and not the motherboard then the signal is being rendered by the videocard regardless of whether he's in the bios or not. He says that he's using a graphics card, so the cable is most likely connected to his videocard on one end and the monitor on the other.

paskowitz

Everytime I see a overclocked 980ti beat my overlocked Titan X I die a little in the inside.

The EVGA Hybrid kit and a modified BIOS may give you a little extra headroom. Also, it is just luck of the silicon lottery. A good number of people have been able to get above 1500Mhz. You should easily be able to beat any 980 ti in game or or benchmark (with the exception of the TI K|NG|P|N) with this setup. However, in regards to that missing $350, I can't help ya there.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Interesting. Always figured the GPU didn't actually kick in rendering wise in until Windows booted. Figure it was just a pass through until then. Though I guess even then it could still be the culprit.

RGM79

My girlfriend has a 560 ti in her computer right now. What would be the best video card to upgrade her to for around $200?

For under $200, you could pick up a GTX 960. But for a couple of dollars more, well $30 more, you could get a R9 380 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGF3TUC/?tag=neogaf0e-20).

Both would be the 2GB versions and the performance gap is barely 1%.

There are 4GB models of the GTX 960 and R9 380 available for just over $200, no need to go up to $230. Unfortunately, most of those are the "after rebate" prices, so you'll need to pay a bit more in upfront cost.

I think my experience waiting for the 980 Ti and now the 6700k has helped me put things in perspective. It's good to wait a little bit so you can plan things out and get the exact thing that you want. If the 6700k was available day one, I might have made a mistake and bought 2400mhz RAM. I'm going to have $1700 saved by tomorrow. At this rate, if the 6700k is that hard to get in the next month or two, I might just go X99. Shit, I even thought about going 5960x. I could do it if I scavenged the parts in my current rig. But then, I couldn't use my current rig as a secondary test machine like I wanted to have.

appaws

Banned
Hey anyone know if anyone is making white DDR4 sticks...?

I can't find any...and my new build for skylake is going to be black/white/chrome.

About to click the place order button on a i5 4690k and mobo. Upgrading from an A10 5800k (wasn't using the integrated gpu). Finally making that jump back into the Intel side of things. Have not had an Intel based desktop computer since the Pentium 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom