• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

I am beginning to think that's incorrect. That person only tested one game. And, it's been repost countless times as proof. Here's another one with Metro and GTAV showing hardly any differences.

Huh, ok then. Wonder why the Watch Dogs test was so skewed.

2,666Mhz seems to be the sweet spot from a price performance standpoint. Even up to 3,000Mhz is pretty good. Beyond that, it just seems like you're wasting money.

Flandy

Reposting from another thread since this seems more active

Could someone help me out with what appears to be a memory leak? Tried using Process Explorer to see what the issue was. Is it all the programs taking up a huge amount of virtual size that's causing my issue here? Why doesn't this show up in Task Manager?
20521637942_a5ca210e39_o.png

Earlier today RAM usage got up to 7.8GB and I had to restart my PC. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture the RAM usage with Process Explorer because my PC was unresponsive.
I did mange to get screenshot of how Task Manger looked at the time after I closed a few things
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5731/20342562848_1a5e6e1120_o.png

XBP

I've spotted a pretty decent sale on 512GB Samsung 850 pro SSDs but I'm not sure if I should get two of these or wait for a price drop on a 1TB SSD. I wanted to get a decently big one for my games so 1TB seemed like an obvious choice but i'll be saving ~100$ by going with 2x512GB.

Is there are downside of getting 2 512GB ssds instead of a single 1TB?

knitoe

I've spotted a pretty decent sale on 512GB Samsung 850 pro SSDs but I'm not sure if I should get two of these or wait for a price drop on a 1TB SSD. I wanted to get a decently big one for my games so 1TB seemed like an obvious choice but i'll be saving ~100$ by going with 2x512GB.

Go 2x512GB Raid 0. Windows will see it as a single 1TB drive. You get almost double the performance. The only downside is double the failure rate since its 2 drives, but I wouldn't worry about it.

XBP

Go 2x512GB Raid 0. Windows will see it as a single 1TB drive. You get almost double the performance. The only downside is double the failure rate since its 2 drives, but I wouldn't worry about it.

hm... I thought there weren't a lot of real world benefits of having a RAID 0 configuration?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd get the two 512s and just use them as separate drives. You get nice increases in performance in synthetic benchmarks, so if you regularly transfer large multi gigabyte files back and forth it'll be useful. But for random access and general usage not so much.

Steam these days supports multiple drives for installing so there isn't too much hassle having 2x512Gb vs 1x1TB. Also could be handy for data redundancy - maybe you store some important files on both drives which would then be better protected if one drive fails.

knitoe

hm... I thought there weren't a lot of real world benefits of having a RAID 0 configuration?

The main benfit is almost double the write performance which would be great for copying, video editing and etc. Double the read speed is not as important since software don't load that much data at a time. Personally, I always run Raid 0.

XBP

I'd get the two 512s and just use them as separate drives. You get nice increases in performance in synthetic benchmarks, so if you regularly transfer large multi gigabyte files back and forth it'll be useful. But for random access and general usage not so much.

Steam these days supports multiple drives for installing so there isn't too much hassle having 2x512Gb vs 1x1TB. Also could be handy for data redundancy - maybe you store some important files on both drives which would then be better protected if one drive fails.

The main benfit is almost double the write performance which would be great for copying, video editing and etc. Double the read speed is not as important since software don't load that much data at a time. Personally, I always run Raid 0.

Went ahead and ordered two of them. Total came out as 385 with tax. 0.375/GB, which isn't that bad I guess.

Vertti

New computer up and running. But how do I connect into a internet?

I mean it can not find any wireless connections. My motherboard is Asus Pro Gamer. Do I have to use a cable?

Also it doesn't regognize my MSI 980 Ti Gaming. But that could be a driver problem right? It lights and the fans start spinning so it should eork. Especially when it's connected in to my monitor. But it just shows as VGA connection for some reason lol.

SleazyC

I mean it can not find any wireless connections. My motherboard is Asus Pro Gamer. Do I have to use a cable?
Does your motherboard have onboard wireless? If it does you might need to install drivers for it and enable it before you can connect to a wireless network. Otherwise you would need a wireless adapter to connect your PC to your network.

Also it doesn't regognize my MSI 980 Ti Gaming. But that could be a driver problem right? It lights and the fans start spinning so it should eork. Especially when it's connected in to my monitor. But it just shows as VGA connection for some reason lol.
You'll need to install drivers for these. If your monitor is connected to the graphics card and you are getting a video signal everything is alright its just out of the box Windows has generic drivers that are what its using at the moment. When you install the Nvidia drivers it should recognize the graphics card as well as you being able to use the full functionality of the card.

LilJoka

New computer up and running. But how do I connect into a internet?

Use the motherboard cd to install drivers or get the latest drivers using another PC from the motherboard website.
You need:
Chipset driver
Intel management engine driver
LAN driver
USB 3 driver
Wifi driver (if your board has onboard wifi)

From Nvidia's website download the Graphics drivers for your card.

If you have a PCIE wifi card it should come with a driver CD, otherwise grab the driver from their website.

depressedmetfan

Neo Member
Reposting from another thread since this seems more active

Could someone help me out with what appears to be a memory leak? Tried using Process Explorer to see what the issue was. Is it all the programs taking up a huge amount of virtual size that's causing my issue here? Why doesn't this show up in Task Manager?

Earlier today RAM usage got up to 7.8GB and I had to restart my PC. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture the RAM usage with Process Explorer because my PC was unresponsive.
I did mange to get screenshot of how Task Manger looked at the time after I closed a few things
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5731/20342562848_1a5e6e1120_o.png

Click on "open resource monitor", go to the memory column and then sort by "working set" column to see what's using up most of the memory. resource manager shows all processes and hidden background services that are running. It's possible there may be spyware using up your memory so try using another anti-virus scanner besides avast, such as "eset online scanner."

b0bbyJ03

Quick question for the people that don't use the Geforce Experience; do you uninstall your Nvidia drivers when a new one comes out or do you just install the new one on top of the old. I've been using Display Driver Uninstaller for a long time and I usually go through the trouble of creating a restore point, booting into safe mode, uninstalling the drivers through DDU, booting back into regular mode, and running the custom install option for the driver so that I only install the display and audio driver (I uncheck everything else). Is this still worth the trouble in 2015?

LilJoka

Quick question for the people that don't use the Geforce Experience; do you uninstall your Nvidia drivers when a new one comes out or do you just install the new one on top of the old. I've been using Display Driver Uninstaller for a long time and I usually go through the trouble of creating a restore point, booting into safe mode, uninstalling the drivers through DDU, booting back into regular mode, and running the custom install option for the driver so that I only install the display and audio driver (I uncheck everything else). Is this still worth the trouble in 2015?

Nope, just install on top. Only use DDU if I want to downgrade or some problem occurs.

R3TRODYCE

How hot is it? My EVGA only turns on the fan at 60C, though it's a weaker card (960).
It's usually 73-78c which isn't terrible but I'm just used to my previous card (980)running at 68c tops. The performance and sound is so good that I can't complain too much. The fans turn on at 60c so I'm thinking that could have a bit to do with it.

LilJoka

It's usually 73-78c which isn't terrible but I'm just used to my previous card (980)running at 68c tops. The performance and sound is so good that I can't complain too much. The fans turn on at 60c so I'm thinking that could have a bit to do with it.

Nothing to do with the fan profile really, if the fans were always on it will just take a few minutes longer to reach peak temps. 980Ti is just a much higher wattage card.

Skii

Scan are absolutely useless. Now they're telling me that the PSU I ordered has been discontinued and therefore they can't send me one. So not only has my order been delayed by an unknown amount of days (possibly even weeks!), I now have to find a new PSU to order.

Here's the specs of my build. Can someone point me to a new PSU, ideally from Scan as they will apparently just replace the 650W Fractal Design Tesla R2 for the new one I order.

SleazyC

Think it might be good to do every couple of driver updates; but probably unnecessary now.

LordAlu

Scan are absolutely useless. Now they're telling me that the PSU I ordered has been discontinued and therefore they can't send me one. So not only has my order been delayed by an unknown amount of days (possibly even weeks!), I now have to find a new PSU to order.

Here's the specs of my build. Can someone point me to a new PSU, ideally from Scan as they will apparently just replace the 650W Fractal Design Tesla R2 for the new one I order.
If you can afford the extra, based on what Scan's website says they actually have in stock you I'd go for one of these two:

derder

Well the shipping is free now so I guess I'll have to put that towards getting a new PSU :/

Would 650W be preferred to 550W? Is that more "future-proof"? What's better on the 550W that makes it the same price?
I've stopped trying to future proof components which will last me 4+ years. It's impossible to know what GPUs will demand in that time, but it'll likely be less. Go with the PSU with the best rating - not highest W.

Also, use pcpartpicker's PSU calculator.

Duxxy3

May I ask - why is the BX100 recommended and not the 850 evo?

Strictly because of the 840 firmware issue or is there something else?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Fucking Chase. I buy just under $1,000 from NewEgg, who I haven't bought from in over 5 years, payment goes through no problem. Then I try and buy a couple other parts from Amazon for just over $200, a website I buy from monthly quite often purchases of a couple hundred, payment is denied, fraud alert and account lock initiated. I confirm with Chase I authorized these payments, still nothing.

Damnit Chase I want my new headphones and case that I have no parts yet to put into.

Skii

I've stopped trying to future proof components which will last me 4+ years. It's impossible to know what GPUs will demand in that time, but it'll likely be less. Go with the PSU with the best rating - not highest W.

Also, use pcpartpicker's PSU calculator.

Well, the PCPartPicker is saying that I only need 355 watts for my build. So I'll go with the seasonic at 550Ws? They seem to have the same Gold 80+ rating.

LordAlu

Well the shipping is free now so I guess I'll have to put that towards getting a new PSU :/

Would 650W be preferred to 550W? Is that more "future-proof"? What's better on the 550W that makes it the same price?
They're both actually based on the same SeaSonic supply and with them both costing the same you may as well get the XFX. You get the added advantage of having a power supply then that's capable of supporting any single graphics card configuration you'd like if you ever decide to do an upgrade in a few years time.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What does HBM2 stand for?

High Bandwidth Memory V.2

Basically it's a new form of memory for GPUs where they stack the memory on top of each other which offers higher bandwidth, duh, as well it helps to reduce the size of the overall GPU card.

If you look at the first HBM V.1 GPU, the AMD Fury/Fury X it's almost half, ok more like 2/3, the size of its DDR5 counterparts like the R9 290 or Nvidia's 980 ti or Titan X.

Crawl

High Bandwidth Memory V.2

Basically it's a new form of memory for GPUs where they stack the memory on top of each other which offers higher bandwidth, duh, as well it helps to reduce the size of the overall GPU card.

If you look at the first HBM V.1 GPU, the AMD Fury/Fury X it's almost half, ok more like 2/3, the size of its DDR5 counterparts like the R9 290 or Nvidia's 980 ti or Titan X.

What NVIDIA GPU line will utilize this?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What NVIDIA GPU line will utilize this?

Their upcoming Pascal cards will use it. It's slated for Q1 next year, but most people are acting like Q2 or later is more likely at this rate unfortunately.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the architecture of these things so I'm not sure if all Pascal cards will be HBM2 cause I know it requires new or different architecture, but I'm sure they'll still have some newer-ish GDDR5 cards as well since HBM2 will not be cheap.

We're also get the first die shrink in like 4 years as well with these new cards. Going from 28nm to 14nm. So that should also offer up a lot of improvements on top of the new memory scheme.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
AMD reportedly has dibs on HBM2 for a while.

Not surprising since they co-developed it. I hope they do something worthwhile with it. I've only ever had AMD cards, but their offerings in the last couple years has been rather mediocre so they need to do something impressive soon.

I'm holding off getting a new GPU and sticking with my 7950 for my new build this month. So if they can deliver something good soon I'll be more than willing to pick it up to replace my rather old GPU, but they just released the 300 series and Fury. So I can't imagine they're ready to release a new lineup in just 6-12 months, but I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

LilJoka

Well, the PCPartPicker is saying that I only need 355 watts for my build. So I'll go with the seasonic at 550Ws? They seem to have the same Gold 80+ rating.

Just go with what fits in budget. No real downside going up to 650W, advantage is your system would easily handle something like an overclocked i7 and 980Ti. And it'll run quieter at the same output.

SleazyC

Hey guys. For skylake, does higher speeds memory really matter that much? Considering the fact that I don't do any content creation.
It looks like higher speed memory will matter, but I think we still need some more conclusive benchmarks to tell us how much it matters. I think over the next couple of weeks we could see the picture clarified.

Skii

They're both actually based on the same SeaSonic supply and with them both costing the same you may as well get the XFX. You get the added advantage of having a power supply then that's capable of supporting any single graphics card configuration you'd like if you ever decide to do an upgrade in a few years time.

Just go with what fits in budget. No real downside going up to 650W, advantage is your system would easily handle something like an overclocked i7 and 980Ti. And it'll run quieter at the same output.

Okay, thanks guys. Will update my order with the XFX.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
It looks like higher speed memory will matter, but I think we still need some more conclusive benchmarks to tell us how much it matters. I think over the next couple of weeks we could see the picture clarified.
Then I think I'll keep me low speed memory for now. And update it later down the road.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I've got a question. So my laptop is getting on in years but has been doing fine so far, but just now my music (which is located on my HDD) started doing that stuttering thing where it kind of freezes for a second, and one of the times after it did that, I got a BSOD.
This sounds like a HDD issue, right? Could it be anything other than an HDD issue?
I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and it says my HDD health is "Good," but I'm skeptical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I can confirm that it's my HDD, I'm going to just replace it with a 500GB Samsung SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom