• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I NEVER PLAYED A SOULS LIKE GAME!! help?

HighPoly

Banned
Which souls like do you recommend me?

I don't care if you don't recommend the traditional medieval souls like or even the most popular franchises...
Just give me what you think it's a good experience for the first time!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d say Elden Ring. You’re going to see the best additions to gameplay and waypoints. I don’t know how you will feel. I’d recommend
Elden Ring
Bloodborne
Dark Souls III
Demon’s Souls (remake)
You should honestly play ER to get ready for the DLC.

Someone I use to work with tried Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls III, and Bloodborne. He is a big Elden Ring fan. Which I think is great. Even when I don’t agree with his complaints about the other games.

Do you mean clones? That’s easy, play NiOh 2. I just re-read OP and maybe it’s just not clear. I’d honestly pick NiOh 2 for best souls-like. NiOh 2 Remastered

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Demons Souls is the best starting place. It teaches you all the core concepts, but is not as big and overwhelming as Elden Ring.

You just need to understand the core gameplay loop to have a lot of fun.

1. Start from a checkpoint.
2. Progress forwards until you die (soon)
3. Respawn and repeat steps 1-2 a dozen times
4. Reach the next checkpoint and feel immense satisfaction

Melfice7

The answer is always the same, start by released date, while the original demons souls is better than the remake, you should start with the remake

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Imagine recommending Lies of Shite lmfao

Most blatant copy of everything that From has done
It's so goddamn overrated and overblown. I couldn't force myself to play it beyond a few hours after the first boss. The combat is crap and doesn't feel great, the main characters is too slow, I hate all the enemies which are all stupid robots with shit movesets. There's almost zero and satisfying visual, sound and tactile impact after landing hits and most of the time it feels like you're hitting the air. I just don't get why so many people like this crap. I mean, it looks good, the art and art-design is good as well, I like how you can switch handles for weapons to switch movesets but other than that.... it's just incredibly mediocre or an okay game at worst.

At first, I thought that people were right about Lords of the Fallen (2023) as well and I've a lot of issues with this game too, especially now during NG+ playthrough (NG+ SUUUUUUUCKS in this game BIG TIME, which I can't say about NG at all), but... there's a lot to love about this game and it's doing a lot more unique things with new (for this genre) mechanics you simply won't find anywhere else. The combat feels great, you can feel the weight of weapons, armour and you character, you can feel and see the satisfying impact of your attacks and it's just a far more enjoyable game to play which has a large interconnected world (similar to what the first Dark Souls did) to explore with two different realities. It's going to be a rough ride even for veteran Souls fans, but it's 100% worth pushing through it, cuz when you'll figure out how the game works and how to deal with the BS it trows at you, you'll be throwing this BS back at it with a smile on your face:messenger_smiling_horns:

Lies of P to me is just a slightly better version of Spider's Steelrising, which also had similar boring af robots as enemies and I don't recommend to any Souls-like fans to play both of these games, just wait for Black Myth which is only a few more months away from release.

Last edited:

Comandr

I think for a first timer to the souls-like gameplay, Eldin Ring is a good jumping in point. The game gives you a lot of options to empower yourself, and the open world allows you to pursue objectives at your leisure. Previous games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls have fairly linear progression. You have more or less a set path, and that means that if you encounter a scenario that's simply too difficult for you, you just stop playing.

I think in today's world where there are SO MANY games vying for one's attention- and so many great ones around the corner, it would be very easy to just stop playing a game that was too difficult. Eldin Ring allows you to get used to the style of combat while still playing at your own pace with your own objectives.

It might not be strange to fight a boss, 10-20 times or more before it finally clicks and you understand the pattern and come out successful. Souls-like games can be very punishing, and very rewarding. Finally overcoming a boss you've been stuck on - there's nothing like it.

But remember, no matter what anyone else says: You don't have to git gud. You just have to have fun.

MrRibeye

I forced myself to try to like Elden Ring, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, because of how everyone loves them so much, but FROM games are a total snooze fest for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A great soulslike I enjoyed was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, because it's more cinematic and fluid. Less of that stiff FROM gameplay.

Barakov

Gold Member

I don't care if you don't recommend the traditional medieval souls like or even the most popular franchises...
Start with Dark Souls. Also here are some tips :
Xshqr70.jpg

Hohenheim

I would say Bloodborne, but the game sadly struggles with terrible frame pacing, which will likely be a bigger challenge than any of the bosses.

So, i'd play the Souls games in the chronological order, starting with the Demons Souls remake.
It will perhaps be hard to go back to no jumping etc after Elden Ring, so i'd save that one.

bigdad2007

IMO Elden Ring, only because the community will be the most active. A big part of the games are the multiplayer aspects summoning\being invaded.

Remember these are JRPGs at heart in the vein of Dragon Quest. While you lose some do on death if you don’t recover your body there is no permanent loss. Doors stay unlocked, there is no game over.

You can always over level yourself if an encounter is too hard. Souls games are not nearly as hard as people make them out to be.

Go back and play Kings Field with no save states and learn what real difficulty is.

Elden Ring is the most polished one most new commer friendly. Good entry point. Plus the story is standalone.

If you end up loving the genre. Then Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne are must play.

Then you are insatiable and want to dive deeper, go with Niohs and Sekiro.

I am honestly jealous of folks never played any Souls games, cuz you still have the best gaming experience ahead of you.

Last edited:

protonion

I would start with Sekiro. It is the easiest imo and more straightforward.

Then Elden Ring.

And finally Bloodborne.

KiteGr

• You can start wherever you like (except DS2).
  • Imitators like Lies of P and Nioh are usually harder because they have no alternative to difficulty spikes, such as branching paths or other player help.
  • Starting from the earliest released has the advantage that it won't fell downgraded later.
  • Starting from the latest released has the advantage of being more forgiving, such as having build resets, NPC agro resets, more checkpoints and easier more forgiving covenants.
  • Players feeling the later instalments are easier is an illusion. The sequels are as hard, if not harder, but the veterans have just become better and they have to fight the early enemies intended to be more beginner friendly in each game.
  • The further you go in the series, the more it encourages dodging over blocking.
  • Being below certain weight thresholds improves dodging and walking. Avoid "fat rolling" (slow roll that rumbles the controller).
  • You Will die... A lot!
  • Players often choose certain locations as PVP hot spots.
  • Sekiro does it's own thing... It's more of a successor to the Techu series rather than the Souls.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

If you want to be presented to true Souls Like gameplay, you should start with Dark Souls Remake and go from there.. you may choose to skip DS2 but I wouldnt.

I would play DS1 and DS3, them you can try SEKIRO that is a entirely different (more difficult) experience, after i would play Demons Souls Remake (if you have a Ps5) and Dark Souls 2...

Elden Ring for me is the worst representation of the souls genre, the open world formula is ass and the game is too easy. Dont count on linking the other games just because you liked ER, a lot of normies drool over ER that could not play DS.

And there is BLOODBORNE the best souls game of all ... the problem is that after playing all of them in 60fps, trying to play BB will be a struggle... but is a masterpiece. The masterpiece in souls.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Still hard cause I'm newb, how to play the game and beat bosses, it's hard?
Elden Ring just gives you too much help to beat the bosses .... just spam abuse summons and spitit ashes and you practically dont have to do shit.

Stil harder then most games but in the souls genre is a joke.

elden ring

most newb friendly hands down. Lots of tools to help you even if you don't play online. Open world means progression is generally non-linear. You are free to explore.

Whichever one you play, you need to enter this with the mindset that you WILL die alot. It's part of the growing pains and learning process. Don't be afraid to experiment with different weapons to suit your play style.

Lux R7

Start with Dark Souls remastered. Don't look for tips, don't look for guides. Just live your first experience with it, get lost, struggle and overcome it. I wish i could experience dark souls for the first time again. Good luck and have fun.

Perhaps my memory isn't the best, but I'm not so sure I'd start a newbie out on Demon's Souls due to the sometimes lack of save points leading to boss encounters. Maybe I'm just exaggerating a few of the ones that annoyed me though.

Yoboman

Elden Ring is a great entry point. Easier and by the time you get to the others youll understand the gameplay loops

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Demon's Souls if you have a PS5. It's by far the easiest one, good for easing you into what these games are like. Don't get me wrong though, it's not an easy game. Just not nearly as challenging as some of the later ones. It's also comparatively short and compact, so it's not a huge time investment like Elden Ring or even the Dark Souls games.

The remake also makes it much more playable than the original. It's the same game, but small QOL improvements everywhere makes it feel much more modern and responsive. And it looks awesome.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

My first Soulslike was Elden Ring and it got me hooked by the balls. Finished it 3 times, amazing, amazing game.
Then I gave Bloodborne a try, but it was too difficult, especially with healing flasks farming mechanics, that put me off.
Then I tried DS3 and I loved it, finished it with DLCs. Great game.
Then I tried Sekiro but was too difficult, had to refund.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The answer is always the same, start by released date, while the original demons souls is better than the remake, you should start with the remake

How is the original better than the remake? Preferring its visual design is one thing, that's subjective (I think the remake looks awesome), but in every other way I can think of the remake is either just the same or better. Above all, it feels smoother to play.

SCB3

ok so a few options

Elden Ring is a great start for newcomers, a lot of options and really being open world allows you to go somewhere else if you're struggling to beat a boss or you fancy a change to what you're doing, plenty of checkpoints, weapons and options to try before you settle on a main build

Dark Souls is a great option to get started with this kind of combat and the like, its far more linear but that does give it a bit more focus, its also the most "Holy shit" of the games in terms of lore and surprises in level design

Dark Souls 2 is a bit friendlier and has an actual tutorial as well

Now people will say Demons Souls as well, however I found it to be very harsh to start with, the Checkpoints are a bit harder to come by with long run backs when you die and I actually found the game harder when the Remaster of it came out despite being a Souls like vet at that point

Avoid Bloodborne and Sekiro for now, they're very different in Styles and combat and are far quicker

Now for Non From Software titles, Nioh and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order are fantastic ways to get into this style of game that are far easier to get into than Dark Souls

Kokoloko85

Dont go with the imitations.

Dark Soul 1 or Demons Souls. Depending if you prefer linear or slightly more open gameplay. Then Bloodborne

Or start Bloodborne first and then do Dark Souls or Demons Souls.

Caio

Play Elden Ring, then the DLC Shadow of the Erdtree. You will love it.

Borowski_1

There's a few things to consider

Bloodborne is, to me, the best one, but it's locked at 30fps. If that's not an issue, go for that

IF that's an issue, go for Dark Souls 3 on PS5/X/PC

For now, skip:

Sekiro: it's the most different of all of them, and the second most difficult to me. Try it after the other two

Demon's Souls is not as good as the others and doesn't have the same magic in terms of level design

Dark Souls has some weird levels that will put you off

Elden Ring is a bit bloated and uneven, imo. And will be daunting for new players

Forget about Dark Souls 2

So, Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3

Last edited:
Top Bottom