• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I NEVER PLAYED A SOULS LIKE GAME!! help?

DavidGzz

It's so goddamn overrated and overblown. I couldn't force myself to play it beyond a few hours after the first boss. The combat is crap and doesn't feel great, the main characters is too slow, I hate all the enemies which are all stupid robots with shit movesets. There's almost zero and satisfying visual, sound and tactile impact after landing hits and most of the time it feels like you're hitting the air. I just don't get why so many people like this crap. I mean, it looks good, the art and art-design is good as well, I like how you can switch handles for weapons to switch movesets but other than that.... it's just incredibly mediocre or an okay game at worst.

At first, I thought that people were right about Lords of the Fallen (2023) as well and I've a lot of issues with this game too, especially now during NG+ playthrough (NG+ SUUUUUUUCKS in this game BIG TIME, which I can't say about NG at all), but... there's a lot to love about this game and it's doing a lot more unique things with new (for this genre) mechanics you simply won't find anywhere else. The combat feels great, you can feel the weight of weapons, armour and you character, you can feel and see the satisfying impact of your attacks and it's just a far more enjoyable game to play which has a large interconnected world (similar to what the first Dark Souls did) to explore with two different realities. It's going to be a rough ride even for veteran Souls fans, but it's 100% worth pushing through it, cuz when you'll figure out how the game works and how to deal with the BS it trows at you, you'll be throwing this BS back at it with a smile on your face:messenger_smiling_horns:

Lies of P to me is just a slightly better version of Spider's Steelrising, which also had similar boring af robots as enemies and I don't recommend to any Souls-like fans to play both of these games, just wait for Black Myth which is only a few more months away from release.

I thought the same thing for a while, and I enjoyed Lords of The Fallen more. I couldn't understand why people liked it so much. I even posted many times how LoTF was the better game. I gave it another try recently and can say with confidence Lies is the better game. It feels very solid and way less janky than LoTF. I think you should try it again. I did and couldn't put it down until I beat it. It's the closest thing to a Souls game.

DragonNCM

Which souls like do you recommend me?

I don't care if you don't recommend the traditional medieval souls like or even the most popular franchises...
Just give me what you think it's a good experience for the first time!
You are in same situation like I was !!!!
I started with Elden Ring & I was blasted with it.
After, I finished every souls game (except Sekiro)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I thought the same thing for a while, and I enjoyed Lords of The Fallen more. I couldn't understand why people liked it so much. I even posted many times how LoTF was the better game. I gave it another try recently and can say with confidence Lies is the better game. It feels very solid and way less janky than LoTF. I think you should try it again. I did and couldn't put it down until I beat it. It's the closest thing to a Souls game.
The thing is, I already gave the game a second chance after playing the demo back when it was available. I've played a few hours after the first boss and I just don't like it.
LOTF is way better game in my book (NG, not NG+), but if you like Lies of P more, well... good for you, but it's just not for me.

Melfice7

How is the original better than the remake? Preferring its visual design is one thing, that's subjective (I think the remake looks awesome), but in every other way I can think of the remake is either just the same or better. Above all, it feels smoother to play.

2 major things i consider better in the original, atmosphere and music, some enemy designs were changed as well but i can accept that due to the increase in fidelity

DavidGzz

The thing is, I already gave the game a second chance after playing the demo back when it was available. I've played a few hours after the first boss and I just don't like it.
LOTF is way better game in my book (NG, not NG+), but if you like Lies of P more, well... good for you, but it's just not for me.

Cool, I just know I had to power through past 3+ bosses before it clicked. I didn't like the parry mechanic very much but then I got gud and it was a lot of fun. I love both games.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I started with Bloodborne, as before that I only really had gaming systems and PCs for my children. My oldest at the time told me about a new game by Fromsoftware as apparently I had bought him dark souls for Christmas.

I didn’t understand it at all, but something just made me what to keep going. After a while and finding the first boss so I could level the game started gelling with me.

Then the story, good lord, there is nothing like being able to take all the clues and item descriptions and figuring out the story for yourself and looking at the community and what they think. It was like I got two games in one. The one to play and the book of clues to guide you to the story. The story is absolutely amazing and the social impacts of the different groups in the game are mind blowing.

It lead me into playing all the Dark Souls games and got me into a new genre that I love more than any other at this point in my gaming life.

Holammer

Start where it began and play the first Dark Souls*. Parts of it haven't aged well, but it's still a good game with iconic bosses and areas. If you like it, you have a smörgåsbord of games in the genre to enjoy. Elden Ring with its simple open world is too different and eschews much of the puzzle box level design they older games are famous for.

*yes, Demon's Souls was first, but nooooobody played that.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Get Elden Ring and let the game kick you in the nuts so many times you begin to somehow enjoy it in some weird perverse way. Congrats you’re now a Souls fan. Next step is to get a Miyazaki tattoo. Finally, you need go to any online forum and let everyone one how maiden-less you are until the Elden Ring DLC drops in June.

Or you can help spread democracy …

Video Games Explosion GIF by PlayStation

Im just kidding … kinda. Elden Ring is a good place to start and there will be a lot of hype for it in June. Demon Souls Remake is another easy recommendation too.

Last edited:

Yumi

Elden Ring if you prefer open world

If you don’t like open world then

Bloodborne if you like gothic/horror

Demons souls Or Dark souls for medievil fantasy

Sekiro for feudal Japan and more action focused. Probably the hardest due to no leveling up and having less solutions to encounters.

They all share similar mechanics so I personally think it just depends on what style/aesthetic you are into.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just play Elden Ring.

If you love it you can take your pick of older more linear games to go back to. If you don't like Elden Ring, chances are you're not going to like Souls.

Weezard

Neo Member
Elden Ring.

Do not hesitate looking for guides online.

Avoid/sneak around the first guy on a horse you see :)

i started with bloodborne - then elden ring, ds1, ds3 - it was a struggle for me in bloodborne, just that first area lol

just accept that you'll die, a lot, look at enemy movements, with bosses its better usually to be aggressive and close, while dodging their movesets (obviously not for every boss) and know in most cases you can just run by enemies to find items , new areas etc.

getting better at these games is very satisfying. i just platinumed Bloodborne last week, i've beat Malenia, never tried the nameless king but I believe I beat everyone else in DS3. If you continue these games, you'll look back years from now and understand them so much better, then replay them with your better skillset, at least i did.

i avoid looking up ways to kill bosses. i avoid looking up how to progress in the games unless i've searched for hours. i avoid co-op or NPC summons. Trust me, it's better that way. However for your first playthroughs you may want to try them.

Last edited:

keefged4

Do not go for the cheap knock offs first time round.

In this order:

Demon's Souls (Original or Remake)
Dark Souls Remaster
Dark Souls II SOTFS
Dark Souls III
Bloodborne
Elden Ring
Sekiro

stn

I've played Elden Ring, Sekiro, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1, Stranger of Paradise, Nioh 1 and 2, Wo Long, Demon's Souls (OG), and Lies of P. I recommend them all.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone recommending non-FromSoftware games to this guy is a cop.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Imagine recommending Lies of Shite lmfao

Most blatant copy of everything that From has done
Absolutely the worst take in this entire topic.
__
Then you have people ignoring fantastic games while mentioning Sekiro which isn't even a Soulslike.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I remember playing DeS on PS3 and having my shit get kicked in Shrine of Storms and after about 3 hours I thought to myself;

‘How am I getting progressively worse at the game? That doesn’t make sense’.

So I started Googling ‘DeS getting harder’ or something to that effect, to make sure that I wasn’t going mad.

Lo and behold, discovered World Tendency. Think my reaction can be summed up as:

The_What%3F.jpg

Anyway, OP, DeS.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I wouldn’t fall down this rabbit hole at this point.
But if you must, play Dark Souls Remastered. It’s really all you need to understand the core design of these games.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I don't care if you don't recommend the traditional medieval souls like or even the most popular franchises...
I personally think Elden Ring is the easiest and most user friendly. There are a shit ton of grace points (fast travel points), you get a horse that can double jump. You really aren't forced to do anything in particular until you feel like you're ready for it. You can explore the map for 20 hours, easily, before even attempting the first boss. That exploration will net you grace points, you'll level up, you'll get used to fighting mobs and scrub enemies, get the dodge/roll mechanic down.

Elden Ring is also incredibly easy to coop and please believe that every ER fan would be happy to link up and lend a hand if you're stuck somewhere or don't understand how to navigate the menus. The game is amazing. It's a brotherhood when you're cooping with someone.

Demon's Souls is pretty easy too, there are some weapons you find early into the game and if you level up correctly, you will absolutely slice through enemies like butter and have powerful ranged magic.

Keep in mind, you will steadily get your ass handed to you throughout and you will get frustrated but these games eventually turn into a cakewalk of sorts if you stick with it and git gud.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
My first Soulslike was Elden Ring and it got me hooked by the balls. Finished it 3 times, amazing, amazing game.
Then I gave Bloodborne a try, but it was too difficult, especially with healing flasks farming mechanics, that put me off.
Then I tried DS3 and I loved it, finished it with DLCs. Great game.
Then I tried Sekiro but was too difficult, had to refund.
Yea, Bloodborne is amazing but people recommending it for a first timers Souls game, lol. Just absolutely setting people up for failure. That game is absolutely brutal and I completely agree, farming healing items is a total drag when you realize you're out.

Elden Ring for sure.

Demon's Souls Remake is at the same time the easiest and the hardest one, so I wouldn't recommend it to newcomers. The old ones will look too dated, but once you get used to the style, you will enjoy them more.

kyussman

Try Dark Souls first,find a halberd,a shield and pump your strength and endurance....then poke and swing your way to victory,you'll have a lot of fun and never get too frustrated......then Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Aenima

Demons Souls is the perfect school for the souls games. Game is not too long, and the map layout is not too hard to memorize.

Game is not to dificult, you will find 2 or 3 very hard bosses if you play solo.

Do a hybrid build (mage / warrior), or go full mage. Magic is OP and make some of the hardest boss fights a piece of cake.

Dont be shy do google stuff you dont understand in the game, these games dont explain much of the mechanics.

Basic rule of any souls game is to be patiente and take on 1 enemy at a time. Go full rambo into a room and ur good as dead.

Be ready to die many times, you will learn from your mistakes and rarely die in the same spot twice.

Dorago

Bloodborne is the best one with Elden Ring a close second.

Demons Souls and Dark Souls are equally good to me.

DS2 and 3 have their own strengths but are derivative of the first one.

I haven’t played Sekiro yet.

Elden Ring, especially since the DLC will hit this year. This will consume your life for a wile. It's the best video game they've made and the culmination of the formula into an incredibly polished, quality content rich, user-friendly experience. Still hard as fuck for newcomers, but manageable and the game will provide you tools throughout the game as sort of a difficulty adjustment (making the game infinitely easier)

After that go with Dark Souls Remastered after a break. It's the second best thing they've made, and 60% of the game from the beginning to up & including Anor Londo is the best game they've made. Fantastic lore, and quite deceptively motivational (won't tell you why, but you'll figure it out).

With the Big 2 outta the way, i don't care. If you're hooked and need more might as well give Dark Souls II a try, but with caution and some "first play" guides, since it's unpolished with mechanical inconsistencies. Also has the worst runbacks (getting back to a boss to retry after death) eveeeer, so beware. Is it worth it to? Ya. Despite its issues. It is definitely worth playing. Dark Souls III is the next one. A safe bet since "Safe" is its middle name, a direct mechanical improvement over the original Dark Souls (Remastered) with some great boss highlights.

I'd leave shit like Bloodborne and Sekiro dead last because they're different one-offs. As a huge Berserk fan, they don't vibe with me at all, so ..

Demon's Souls is an alpha build of Dark Souls, and its remake is a coat of pain on top of the same mechanics. Dunno why the fuck people are recommending that. Avoid.

SCB3

Sekiro for feudal Japan and more action focused. Probably the hardest due to no leveling up and having less solutions to encounters.
There is levelling in Sekiro, you level up differently via items like you do in Zelda

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I would say if you don’t like really difficult games that challenge your patience and free time, and that make you play the same area over and over until you level enough and/or become a master of the patterns, I wouldn’t recommend any of them. If you are still on board, then Elden Ring if it’s your first rodeo lol

Hunter 99

Just go straight to bloodborne. Stick with it,learn and you will learn to LOVE this genre.
You will be hooked on seeking the thrill only soulsborne games give.
Nothing comes close to the buzz of progressing in these games.
For me personally It's the only genre (besides survival horror) that I look forward to any new releases from.

LimanimaPT

I'm playing Demon Souls and I'm not sure exactly why.
The game is not hard, it's just annoying... A test to my patience. I have to repeat the same shit over and over, and sometimes all is there to do is to run until you finally reach the boss. Boss kills you, run all over again. That is just silly, not hard.
Graphically wise I must say that it is incredible. The detail is just...wow. I'm play the remake on a PS5.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wherever you start OP, ignore every single fucking idiot who tells you ’you’re not really playing the game properly’ if you use summons to help you, or if you rely on magic.

Use every tool that From has given you. Thats what they want you to do.

Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I really don’t get the hate on LoP, is an amazing game. I think that is so good that scared some Fromsoft purists. Still, my order is DS3>DS1>ER>LoP>SK>BB>DeS>DS2
You hit the nail on the head. It’s the From purists that think the genre belongs to just them, and copying in any capacity isn’t allowed between games. Even though From legitimately copies from each game they made before it. God forbid another company come out with a good game based on the formula (like every other genre that ever existed in gaming lol).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Imagine recommending Lies of Shite lmfao

Most blatant copy of everything that From has done

Lies Of P is easily the best Soulslike… but it is still not on the level of any of From’s games.

Its the game you play, when you’ve played all the real Souls games.

Lies Of P is easily the best Soulslike… but it is still not on the level of any of From’s games.

Its the game you play, when you’ve played all the real Souls games.
I think is well above DS2 and DeS… Especially DS2. Throws punches with a few From games, But not at the level of DS3 or DS1… Can’t wait for LoP2.

Top Bottom