• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I see Doom. Where is Quake?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Where is the Quake love?
You get a new Quake game

Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

It features the Strogg

Zheph

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Quake Champions is somehow still chugging along with very bare minimum updates. It'd be nice to get a reboot, but I have a feeling they were told to DOOM because money. I'm fine with it as long as it's solid. Maybe it'll come after?

Vyse

Gold Member
In the Doom thread they talked about slowing it down. Maybe that’s so they can speed up with Quake.

Laptop1991

Quake 1 and 2, great games, Quake 3 was just MP Deathmatch, i didn't like it infact Unreal Tournament was better imo, and Quake 4 didn't hit the heights when it came out, so i think Doom has a better history and a higher rep than Quake, not that i would mind a new one, it should be a proper sequel to 2 for me.

Hot take :
You know when people say that they prefer DOOM 2016 compared to Eternal ?
Now, for DOOM Dark ages they changed once again the gameplay.

Methinks that they're saving the slower, more methodical and atmospheric approach of 2016's for the next Quake as to differentiate the gameplay between the 2 franchises.

And yes, I know that Quake 1 and 2 were hectic/twitchy back then (and 3 Arena), I'm talking about it being a continuation of 4 which followed the more "cinematic" approach.

Basically, from now on, and IF they decide to produce a new Quake title (they will) :

- DOOM = more hectic and..."stylish" FPS action approach.

- Quake = slower, more atmospheric and methodical approach.

That way they can have 2 AAA FPS franchises without cannibalizing each other.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I’d imagine Quake’s a lot harder to tackle than Doom in 2024. I’d also think ids playing around with what a Quake reboot is internally. Took ‘em close to a decade to get DOOM 2016 into shape.

Wildebeest

Hot take :
You know when people say that they prefer DOOM 2016 compared to Eternal ?
Now, for DOOM Dark ages they changed once again the gameplay.

Methinks that they're saving the slower, more methodical and atmospheric approach of 2016's for the next Quake as to differentiate the gameplay between the 2 franchises.

And yes, I know that Quake 1 and 2 were hectic/twitchy back then (and 3 Arena), I'm talking about it being a continuation of 4 which followed the more "cinematic" approach.

Basically :
DOOM = more hectic and..."stylish" FPS action approach.

Quake = slower, more atmospheric approach.
Who cares. Doom 2016, Eternal and Dark Ages are all trash games compared to Quake 1. id know they peaked there and will not bring shame on themselves by making a new game with the Quake name.

Doom The Dark Ages, is a spiritual successor to Quake 1. As you can see, the setting is Gothic, there is a Nail Gun, and they changed the gauntlet/axe into a saw blade shield. I'm sure there will be enemies from Quake in there as well.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Quake 2 is awesome, Stroggs are cool as heck.
I don't know man. They have cool designs for sure, but they go attached to the "marines in space doing warfare" setting that I find to be way less interesting than the gothic horror we have in the first Quake.

Maybe a new Quake could have them but only in certain levels, until you find a slipgate and are transported to the weird worlds. That would be cool imo.

coolmast3r

DOOM: The Dark Ages most likely was being developed as the new Quake game originally judging by how it looks and plays, but Bethesda decided to slap a DOOM badge on it cause it'll just sell better. DOOM with 2016 and Eternal has a momentum already and a new DOOM game is pretty much guaranteed to sell just as well as the previous entries.

Apocryphon

DOOM: The Dark Ages most likely was being developed as the new Quake game originally judging by how it looks and plays, but Bethesda decided to slap a DOOM badge on it cause it'll just sell better. DOOM with 2016 and Eternal has a momentum already and a new DOOM game is pretty much guaranteed to sell just as well as the previous entries.
It looks and plays nothing like Quake 😂 The only possible connection is that it has a *nail* gun, though it appear to have more similarity to Painkiller’s Stake Gun than any iteration of an id Software Nailgun we have ever seen. We have known about Doom Year Zero since the 2020 FTC leaks.

I may even give you the fact that id cut a dragon enemy from the original Quake game due to deadlines and then Rogue Entertainment added it as the final boss for Dissolution of Eternity. The Dark Ages has a stupidly named “Mecha Dragon”? Oh well it must be a Quake game in disguise… 😂 Have you ever actually played Quake?

Krathoon

Quake has always been this experimental property. It never really found it's footing.

It mainly was for deathmatch. The Strogg stuff did not really go anywhere.

Last edited:
I don't understand why either EPIC with Unreal Tournament or ID with Quake, dont just put out an Arena shooter Epic can treat it like fortnite and show off the latest engine updates and ID could do the same. Make it either free to play or charge a small fee and sell skins in game. Cant imagine it being that expensive to produce. Epic could even launch it in fortnite like they have with the racing and guitar heros modes

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I don't understand why either EPIC with Unreal Tournament or ID with Quake, dont just put out an Arena shooter Epic can treat it like fortnite and show off the latest engine updates and ID could do the same. Make it either free to play or charge a small fee and sell skins in game. Cant imagine it being that expensive to produce. Epic could even launch it in fortnite like they have with the racing and guitar heros modes
That's originally what Epic was doing with UT, but then they decided sweep it under the rug and put the entire team on Fortnite. Really sucks. I guess they were worried about UT negatively affecting Fortnite's success or something? Which is funny to me, but I really don't understand why they would've just swept it under the rug like they did.

twilo99

If there is a reboot it needs to be carefully crafted so maybe it’s good to take some time and do it right, if they are doing it at all.

Quake Champions is actually a very good game but it went nowhere because it was really buggy at the start and it took years to get he balance right.

Maybe they should just do something pure akin to quake live ..

Internally, id Software probably has affection for Quake. But they don't get to choose what they make.

I'd guess Quake is basically a dead property in the eyes of the "go to market" side (business, marking, executive leadership) of Microsoft/Bethesda. With games as expensive as they are now, the industry is like Hollywood and is looking for sure-fire hits. DOOM is a sure-fire hit. Quake is not. From a business analyst perspective, there is no demand. Quake 4 was a long time ago and wasn't a smash hit. Quake Champions is (relatively speaking) a dead game. Other Quake-like multiplayer arena shooters on the market are a tiny niche compared to the profitable juggernauts of extraction/hero shooters.

I'm glad they were able to justify giving Quake 1 and 2 to Nightdive for remakes. I certainly enjoyed playing those.

I'd be stunned if either Machine Games or id works on a new AAA Quake game next.

Last thought: DOOM has so much cultural traction and meme hype, I think id Software will be a DOOM studio for the foreseeable future just as much as other studios are "COD studios". Think about how you see Doom Slayer stuff all over Reddit, Twitter, whatever. It's a cultural reference point. Quake is not, and I don't think they're incentivized to try to "make Quake happen" when DOOM is right there and there's money just sitting on the table.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Since there are some Quake lovers here... what's better? The Nightdive remaster? Or Quakespasm?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Do I want quake? Yeah, eventually it will come, will it be 2025? We saw doom come back in 2016 thats why these threads are being made. Until than enjoy call of duty it plays well enough.

What they need to do is go back to Quake 1 and expand on it. Make a Lovecraftian space horror game.

Not trying to take a shot at you personally but people always say this and I doubt it would really work.

A lot of Quake 1's vibe that people love so much (me too!) is due to things like:
- relatively primitive graphics adding mystery + triggering the imagination through lack of detail
- the lack of context / framing narrative
- the muddy and wet pixelated texture work
- the fact that we were younger (at least in our gaming experience even if we weren't kids back then) and that grim, depressing tone hits harder when you're not jaded

We've seen a lot of AAA games with a Lovecraftian horror vibe. (Even the new DOOM games dabble in this area.) I think a new Lovecraftian Quake would feel much more like those games than Q1 and it wouldn't really capture the lightning in a bottle again. Sometimes you just can't go back!

Last edited:

Krathoon

Not trying to take a shot at you personally but people always say this and I doubt it would really work.

A lot of Quake 1's vibe that people love so much (me too!) is due to things like:
- relatively primitive graphics adding mystery + triggering the imagination through lack of detail
- the lack of context / framing narrative
- the muddy and wet pixelated texture work
- the fact that we were younger (at least in our gaming experience even if we weren't kids back then) and that grim, depressing tone hits harder when you're not jaded

We've seen a lot of AAA games with a Lovecraftian horror vibe. (Even the new DOOM games dabble in this area.) I think a new Lovecraftian Quake would feel much more like those games than Q1 and it wouldn't really capture the lightning in a bottle again. Sometimes you just can't go back!
They can try making a sequel in the same style as the original. I doubt they would have the nerve to do that. It would be like an indie game.

Laptop1991

I'd guess Quake is basically a dead property in the eyes of the "go to market" side (business, marking, executive leadership) of Microsoft/Bethesda. With games as expensive as they are now, the industry is like Hollywood and is looking for sure-fire hits. DOOM is a sure-fire hit
This is true, i've had emails from Bethesda marketing before buy yesterday i got one from The Slayers Club about Doom, which i haven't had since the beginning of 2020, and i had forgotten about it to be honest, so apparently it's still going and i'm still in it!

Top Bottom