• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Quake 6" Tease found in Xbox Direct

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I would be very sad if machine games is heading a new quake. They already killed Wolfenstein. I don’t want them to kill this as well.

bender

What time is it?
I really hope so.
judge-judy-laptop.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would be very sad if machine games is heading a new quake. They already killed Wolfenstein. I don’t want them to kill this as well.

Have you played the new MG Quake 2 levels? They're pretty damn good.

But to the greater point, we don't know what ID has been doing since putting out the Doom Eternal DLC. If anything, ID is the most likely to be working on the next Quake (if it is in development and if Doom Zero is not a thing).

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Have you played the new MG Quake 2 levels? They're pretty damn good.

But to the greater point, we don't know what ID has been doing since putting out the Doom Eternal DLC. If anything, ID is the most likely to be working on the next Quake (if it is in development and if Doom Zero is not a thing).
Sadly I haven’t. Quake 2 remastered has been on the backlog for quite a while. If they did good with those levels I will be very happy. Also confused as to why they managed to bungle wolfenstein II and youngbloods so bad after perfecting TNO.

simpatico

Best case they go back to pure Quake 1 aesthetics. I mean I'm still in for the Quake 2 universe, I'd just be a lot more excited to see the Quake 1 style with modern graphics.

simpatico

Sadly I haven’t. Quake 2 remastered has been on the backlog for quite a while. If they did good with those levels I will be very happy. Also confused as to why they managed to bungle wolfenstein II and youngbloods so bad after perfecting TNO.
I replayed TNO and II last year and it's shocking how bad II is when you play them back to back. Was not able to finish it. Cut scenes were really poor as well. Almost like it was made by a different team. I'd like to think the A team was already working on Indy.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I replayed TNO and II last year and it's shocking how bad II is when you play them back to back. Was not able to finish it. Cut scenes were really poor as well. Almost like it was made by a different team. I'd like to think the A team was already working on Indy.

It really is bizarre just how much they suddenly got *wrong* with the sequel. From the poignant moments with some levity in the first to being almost insulting with how they throw in poop/shit jokes out of nowhere during a heavy scene in the second. The level design also was rather awful. You have these gorgeous environments and they constantly force you to retread them with poor pacing and constant forced stealth moments, which they don't even design the game around. Why have all these awesome shooting and combat mechanics if you are constantly told never to use them?

TNO was easily one of the greatest FPS games IMO, but Wolfy II may be one of the worst.

Apocryphon

Yes and no.

Wolfenstein The New Colossus and Youngblood are both garbage that’s true, but Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine were great. Whatever sub-team that worked on the expansions for those and Call of the Machine would be as solid as anybody for a Cthulu Quake game in id Tech. I’d take that over Hugo fucking up Quake the way he has fucked up Doom with Eternal.

bender

What time is it?
TNO was easily one of the greatest FPS games...

I need to go watch some long form videos on TNO. I've finished it once and dabbled with it a few times and I just can't wrap my head around what people see in it. It's by no means bad and a cut above modern Wolfenstein, not to mention a cut above all of the follow-ups, but I've always found it middling at best. Granted, I'm super critical of shooters but I really want to see through other people's eyes on this.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Let's hope they realize that no one actually cares about arena shooters (other than reminiscing about how much they love Q3A/UT99 online) and they make a Quake 1-inspired boomer shooter instead.
.... boomer shooters ARE arena shooters.

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, doubt it’d be my cup of tea thought. I find the recent Doom games way too hectic, feels like this would be as well.

Top Bottom