• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I see Doom. Where is Quake?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
With Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine as well as Call of the Machine, Machine Games already showed they are very well capable of creating entertaining and cohesive expansions that fit right in with the first two games. I could see them establishing a new iteration of Quake that will please fans of the original. It's such a logical step to take that i'm just waiting for the announcement at this point.

I don't know man. They have cool designs for sure, but they go attached to the "marines in space doing warfare" setting that I find to be way less interesting than the gothic horror we have in the first Quake.

Maybe a new Quake could have them but only in certain levels, until you find a slipgate and are transported to the weird worlds. That would be cool imo.
I just wish they'd make something new that continues the Quake 1, PS1 Doom, Doom 64 style hellish horror atmosphere. I seem to be one of twelve people out there who doesn't find the middle school "Metal and memes fukk yeee lol so stupid" approach of Nu Doom terribly appealing.

Despite Quake 4 the series seems like it got pigeonholed as a MP property ever since 3.

Like a lot of people I really would like them to go back to the original and work from that. The slipgates, multiple settings, vague story and questionable mashups allow for a lot of potential for the devs to play around with.

Unfortunately id is fully entrenched in Doom and I'm not sure I'd want another developer taking a crack at before them.

Last edited:

Ivan

This also released a few months ago

Not a bad game, but the whole section of "boomer shooters" on steam next fest reminded me why indie stuff just can't replace the real thing we used to get. I tried most of them and I can't say I'd honestly want to play any of that longer than a few minutes.

There are nice ideas, some nice mechanic here and there, but overall - a huge unimpressive/unoriginal mass of games playing on nostalgia only way too hard.

I know their budgets are very limited and especially manpower, but let's not pretend they can replace the real thing. It's a whole different world compared to the impact REAL fps legends had.

And that whole "One guy can make a game in 2024" is starting to piss me off, really.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Not a bad game, but the whole section of "boomer shooters" on steam next fest reminded me why indie stuff just can't replace the real thing we used to get. I tried most of them and I can't say I'd honestly want to play any of that longer than a few minutes.

There are nice ideas, some nice mechanic here and there, but overall - a huge unimpressive/unoriginall mass of games playing on nostalgia only way too hard.

I know their budgets are very limited and especially manpower, but let's not pretend they can replace the real thing. It's a whole different world compared to the impact REAL fps legends had.

And that whole "One guy can make a game in 2024" is starting to piss me off, really.
What games you tried exactly though.

Ivan

Most that I found even remotely interesting. It's a personal thing, of course. Just my opinion. They don't do anything for me and I KNOW a proper Quake game would do a lot.

Even when there is something really cool and well made, it holds me for a few minutes only. The aesthetics and game design feel forced and even dishonest sometimes, like they're trying to sell you something and assume that you're stupid.

ck9ns2qeky5d1.jpeg
Quake in the Lake.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Most that I found even remotely interesting. It's a personal thing, of course. Just my opinion. They don't do anything for me and I KNOW a proper Quake game would do a lot.

Even when there is something really cool and well made, it holds me for a few minutes only. The aesthetics and game design feel forced and even dishonest sometimes, like they're trying to sell you something and assume that you're stupid.
I mean, if you're just scrolling through the page of the fest its obvious you ain't finding anything interesting. Its like typing "novels" on amazon and hope you'll find something you'd read.

There are a lot of stunning indie or indie-adjacent boomer shooters. I'm amazed by the quality of Selaco, Mullet Mad Jack, Boltgun, DUSK, etc.

I don't think they FEEL the same as the old games for the reasons I posted above about what made Q1 so Q1-ish, which are mostly a "you can't go back" problem.

> They don't do anything for me and I KNOW a proper Quake game would do a lot.

This is the part that I suspect isn't true, at least for me. A new Quake game wouldn't have the vibe of the old one bc it wouldn't have been made in 1996 in a world that is now gone. Doom 2016 and Eternal are great games, but they don't feel like old DOOM either.

Last edited:

dalyr95

Not trying to take a shot at you personally but people always say this and I doubt it would really work.

A lot of Quake 1's vibe that people love so much (me too!) is due to things like:
- relatively primitive graphics adding mystery + triggering the imagination through lack of detail
- the lack of context / framing narrative
- the muddy and wet pixelated texture work
- the fact that we were younger (at least in our gaming experience even if we weren't kids back then) and that grim, depressing tone hits harder when you're not jaded

We've seen a lot of AAA games with a Lovecraftian horror vibe. (Even the new DOOM games dabble in this area.) I think a new Lovecraftian Quake would feel much more like those games than Q1 and it wouldn't really capture the lightning in a bottle again. Sometimes you just can't go back!
I enjoyed Q4, don't see why expanding it out would be any different, its basically Starship Troopers with Helldiver automatons

You'd think the immense popularity of the modern DOOM games would revive the other iconic boomer shooter classics. It's a shame that Quake hasn't followed suit and had it's own remake or reboot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom