• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I thirst for the next new AAA Playstation IP

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Is there anything better than the smell of a new AAA Playstaion IP?

The Last of Us type moments don't come along often, but when they do oh boy

This generation will have a huge Playstation killer app I can feel it in veins

hulk-hulk-out.gif

feynoob

Banned
Not me.
I will only get excited for Infamous remake, not remastered. Or new RPG game from Sony.
They have the tools. I need one with high quality budget.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
probably next year, i think Sony is still waiting for enough PS5 stock before they announc eanything.

Vick

usually Sony shows a new game off with a slow walking sequence, at which point I will roll my eyes and every possible hype I could have felt is flushed down the toilet.
Stay the fuck away from Callisto Protocol.. now that looks really off putting from the leak, not three minutes combined at best in 50 hours games.

Wolverine will probably be the next new IP. Looking forward to that one. Hopefully, Insomniac makes it a bit darker than Spider-man though.
It's likely going to be violent as hell.

Hoping for the same Uncharted 3 - The Last of Us tone shift.

You’re in for a rude awakening. Their GAAS efforts are not going to appear anything near as premium and that’s what’s coming next.

That's a pretty big assumption. GaaS doesn't need to be low quality.

I think we're going to see Twisted Metal and TLOU MP. I think Twisted Metal might be questionable in quality, but there is no way TLOU MP will be.

Banned
Stay the fuck away from Callisto Protocol.. now that looks really off putting from the leak, not three minutes combined at best in 50 hours games.

as someone who just finished Ragnarök, let me tell you... many modern games aren't just a few minutes in a 50 hour game.
if you play the main quest line basically half of your time spent is either cutscene or slow walking, with one of the slow walking sequences I just had to retroactively record and time, clocking in at more than 10 fucking minutes without pause!

that's why nowadays, as soon as a trailer shows what is clearly a slow walking sequence, I am absolute mentally disengaged in an instant and will ignore the rest of the trailer.
the fact that this dogshit excuse for gamedesign is so prevalent is shocking to me.

I was going to make a thread about something related to this...but ain't worth it.

I am just going to make this observation;

Sony's First party development had two eras:

FIRST ERA:
PS3, they double down on AAA first party production, the outcome, the eureka moment:

Uncharted 2/ The Last Of Us.

Sony managed to find their winning formula

SECOND ERA:
PS4: the refinement of the formula.
This formula goes beyond the final results. it has to do with workflow production processes. Technical, technological and design wise.

The final example of this: GoW Ragnarok.

Benefits: insane quality benchmarks sony managed to achieve.

Drawbacks: homogeneity between titles across First-Party.

THIRD ERA:

PS5.

Stagnation?

Or

Revolution?

Personally speaking I hope sony is aware they are trading on some migthy thin ice here.

Because the swing could bite their ass in a spectacular way.

So. Are PlayStation AAA games limited by budget or hardware?

They better have something truly "Next-Gen" (I am not talking about graphics) when the show PS5 only games.

Vick

as someone who just finished Ragnarök, let me tell you... many modern games aren't just a few minutes in a 50 hour game.
if you play the main quest line basically half of your time spent is either cutscene or slow walking, with one of the slow walking sequences I just had to retroactively record and time, clocking in at more than 10 fucking minutes without pause!

that's why nowadays, as soon as a trailer shows what is clearly a slow walking sequence, I am absolute mentally disengaged in an instant and will ignore the rest of the trailer.
the fact that this dogshit excuse for gamedesign is so prevalent is shocking to me.
That's no different than saying 99% of the main quest line of Witcher 3 is spent reading dialogues to me.

"Forced Slow Walking" usually means you can't change your movement speed, and inputs are limited (e.g. no dodge/prone etc). I can't recall such thing in Ragnarok outside of a few exposition instances when controlling another character in his linear sections. Doesn't amount to even 1% of the game.

the only AAA games i can even get excited about these days. Started to think of games i want to see at TGA and really just comes down to sony 1st or 2nd party stuff and final fantasy, maybe elden ring dlc

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
what we all need is a bigger and longer astro game
Ditto.

It's a shame so few have experienced the glory that is Rescue Mission. Hopefully they give us a fully fledged game with a VR mode. Astro Bot deserves a wide audience cause it really is that good.

Robbinhood

Banned
I was going to make a thread about something related to this...but ain't worth it.

I am just going to make this observation;

Sony's First party development had two eras:

FIRST ERA:
PS3, they double down on AAA first party production, the outcome, the eureka moment:

Uncharted 2/ The Last Of Us.

Sony managed to find their winning formula

SECOND ERA
:
PS4: the refinement of the formula.
This formula goes beyond the final results. it has to do with workflow production processes. Technical, technological and design wise.

The final example of this: GoW Ragnarok.

Benefits: insane quality benchmarks sony managed to achieve.

Drawbacks: homogeneity between titles across First-Party.

THIRD ERA:
PS5.

Stagnation?

Or

Revolution?

Personally speaking I hope sony is aware they are trading on some migthy thin ice here.

Because the swing could bite their ass in a spectacular way.

So. Are PlayStation AAA games limited by budget or hardware?

They better have something truly "Next-Gen" (I am not talking about graphics) when the show PS5 only games.
You are judging them in a vacuum, step back and realize how dumb this post is. If Sony is stagnating wtf is Nintendo doing? Xbox? Get ready for a million Rpgs that play the same.

Bottom line is Sony is operating on higher level than the rest. They have strong narratives but that shouldn’t be a negative, the gameplay is still king. Sadly people are trying to make a positive a negative. If it has a strong narrative it must have compromised gameplay. Nope, they nail all elements

Last edited:
You are judging them in a vacuum, step back and realize how dumb this post is. If Sony is stagnating wtf is Nintendo doing? Xbox? Get ready for a million Rpgs that play the same.

Bottom line is Sony is operating on higher level than the rest. They have strong narratives but that shouldn’t be a negative, the gameplay is still king. Sadly people are trying to make a positive a negative. If it has a strong narrative it must have compromised gameplay. Nope, they nail all elements
Oh, it seems you can't read.

tommib

You didn’t like Ragnarok?
I don’t like the template of it which is a mishmash of all Sony AAA traits that at this point leave me completely cold. I can’t stand the endless mocap, the collection marathon, the brainless puzzles, the painted walls to climb, the forced walking, the marvel-like big themes that don’t land… And because it’s selling like crazy they’ll double down on it. I hate the blockbuster mentality of the new Sony. Returnal being the big exception but that game shares nothing with the rest of their output.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The less you hype yourself in advance the more you'll actually enjoy it. If you start pre-emptively masturbating and calling this mystery new IP GOTY before its even announced, then your expectations dull your enjoyment.

I'm going to try as hard as possible to not pre-order it unless I'm 100% convinced. I think I'd enjoy the game more finding it in my own time like I did with Days Gone.

I think Wolverine will likely get a pre-order from me though.

I don’t like the template of it which is a mishmash of all Sony AAA traits that at this point leave me completely cold. I can’t stand the endless mocap, the collection marathon, the brainless puzzles, the painted walls to climb, the forced walking, the marvel-like big themes that don’t land… And because it’s selling like crazy they’ll double down on it. I hate the blockbuster mentality of the new Sony. Returnal being the big exception but that game shares nothing with the rest of their output.
This x1000

They’ll keep selling well and people will hush while critics throw awards and high ratings at them, while the formula grows horridly stale to me. At this point, I’m more excited for the movies and tv shows based on the games than I am for new versions of the games.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony are the only ones capable of doing games like this, without them, these games wouldn't exist. They better not change the formula.

anothertech

Some people just don't like games. And that's ok.

ProtoByte

Go on…

And it better not be a looter shooter or a hero shooter.
What else could you possibly want or expect?

Newsflash, there's no new genre waiting to be invented. You're going to get games with good story and good mechanics within the general conventions that gaming established many years ago as a medium, or you're not going to get them. Simple as.

I don't know if it's going to be funny or infuriating to see the same people whining about Sony's "formula" of single player games with high production values with some focus on characters or story and a pretty decent "objective" floor of quality - as if that's not exactly the kind of game and IP that has survived as either smash hits or "cult classics" since the 3D era started - turn around and start reminiscing about "the old Sony" or some shit. Kinda like it's infuriating now to see people who made fun of and didn't buy the artsy shit and/or Japanese stuff Sony did here and there during the PS3 pretend like they have the slightest interest in that kind of product just for the sake of contrarianism.

Top Bottom