• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I thirst for the next new AAA Playstation IP

Vick

I'm seeing this sentiment a lot the last few days and its probably the saddest and most desperate fanboy drivel I've ever seen. Ever.

If you like Pentiment then the argument is you are obligated to like Goodbye Volcano High or else you're a hypocrite because they are apparently exactly the same game. If you felt letdown with Ragnarok you are obligated to dislike Hellblade 2 before the game even comes out or else you're a hypocrite. Its literally the saddest Sony fan cope I've ever seen.

1. Hellblade 2 isn't even out and people barely have a sense of what its going to be like. This is massively premature reaction and trolling.
2. Hellblade 2 and God of War are not identical games. Ragnarok is leaning more into Marvel style dialogue with no camera cuts. Hellblade 2 looks more like the movie The Northerner than a Marvel movie, and seems a lot darker and focused on mental illness and will potentially have more cinematic camera angles, but we have to wait and see since we've barely seen the game. It is pathetic that this has to be said, but it is possible to like 1 of these games and not the other. They're not identical.

This is pathetic. Its like you're literally worried that people may enjoy a game that's not even out yet. Just let people play it and see how they feel. I swear we are going to hear these troll comments anytime Hellblade is ever shown now, literally trying to bully people into not liking it as some sort of gotcha lol. Grow up.
I feel the only "pathetic, sad and desperate thing" in here is this out of the blue meltdown, honestly.
Instead of suggesting others to grow up you should perhaps reflect on why exactly you fail to see the blatant hypocrisy in complaining about very specific aspects (pioneered by Ninja Theory themselves twelve years ago with Enslaved) of certain formulas in products on which said aspects are complementary only to the overall package, to then be excited for something that's exactly that very same -previously complained about- specific aspects of said formula except X10 and likely core of the overall product.

It's true, we have not seen much of Hellblade II, but I've played every Ninja Theory narrative driven game since Heavenly Sword to be certain that if for someone God of War is an "interactive movie", for that same person Hellblade is hardly going to be more than an "Interactive cutscene" at best.
Of course unless they're going to turn it into DmC inside a Metroidvania in which case I'll gladly take the L and enjoy myself the shit out of the game.

But sure, let's boil all down to Northerner vs Marvel, as if narrative style was even remotely close to be the point.

You can still enjoy a game for a multitude of reasons and at the same time be critical of specific design mechanics and gameplay features. Hellblade and TLOU2 are both games that, from a mechanical perspective, I did not find as engaging as others, at times both were a chore to play, but a game is more than the sum of its parts. A game like Hellblade is an experience, and a game like TLOU2 is a gripping and engaging, one-of-a-kind narrative, and despite their shortcomings were both very much worth playing. It's like FF7. I hate turn based videogames but in 1997 when I was a teenager, it was the greatest story game of my generation, one that was worth putting your head down and slogging through just to experience the narrative.

So when I said that i was looking forward to Hellblade 2, there is some nuance there, and that's okay. It's okay if we care about different things.
I apologize but I'm, once again, struggling to make sense of a post of yours. Are we talking "mechanical perspectives" here, as stated in the opening portion of your post, or narrative goals, as implied by the closing one?
Because in the first case pretending TLOUII has anything at all in common with Hellblade is something I can't make sense of for the life of me.
One is currently the distant pinnacle of his genre of which survival TPS mechanics are soon to be core of a competitive Multiplayer-only AAA title, the other barely contains any actual game mechanic.
One can last 100 hours on a Grounded playthrough, the other can last one third of it.
One is known for being referenced as "in a league of his own" by Microsoft internal documents, the other is effectively an indie game..
I guess I just need some sleep at this point.

Last edited:
I feel the only "pathetic, sad and desperate thing" in here is this out of the blue meltdown, honestly.
Instead of suggesting others to grow up you should perhaps reflect on why exactly you fail to see the blatant hypocrisy in complaining about certain formulas, making very specific comments about very specific aspects, to then be excited for something that's exactly that very same -previously complained about- specific aspects of said formula but this time X10.

It's true that we have not seen much of Hellblade II, but I've played every Ninja Theory game since Heavenly Sword to be certain that if for someone God of War is an "interactive movie", for that same person Hellblade is hardly going to be more than an "Interactive cutscene" at best.

But yeah, let's boil all down to Northerner vs Marvel, as if narrative style was even remotely close to be the point.
You can still enjoy a game for a multitude of reasons and at the same time be critical of specific design mechanics and gameplay features. Hellblade and TLOU2 are both games that, from a mechanical perspective, I did not find as engaging as others, at times both were a chore to play, but a game is more than the sum of its parts. A game like Hellblade is an experience, and a game like TLOU2 is a gripping and engaging, one-of-a-kind narrative, and despite their shortcomings were both very much worth playing. It's like FF7. I hate turn based videogames but in 1997 when I was a teenager, it was the greatest story game of my generation, one that was worth putting your head down and slogging through just to experience the narrative.

So when I said that i was looking forward to Hellblade 2, there is some nuance there, and that's okay. It's okay if we care about different things.

I apologize but I'm, once again, struggling to make sense of a post of yours. Are we talking "mechanical perspectives" here, as stated in the opening portion of your post, or narrative goals, as implied by the closing one?
Because in the first case pretending TLOUII has anything at all in common with Hellblade is something I can't make sense of for the life of me.
One is currently the distant pinnacle of his genre of which survival TPS mechanics are soon to be core of a competitive Multiplayer-only AAA title, the other barely contains any actual game mechanic.
One can last 100 hours on a Grounded playthrough, the other can last one third of it.
One is known for being referenced as "in a league of his own" by Microsoft internal documents, the other is effectively an indie game..
Unsure if this is a real issue you are having, or if your need to try and win at conversation is so overwhelmingly present in you that you actually wrote all of that while trying to come off as doing so in good faith?

At any rate, I didn't compare the games. I cited two games that had gameplay mechanics I didn't care for, but despite that there were other elements at play that made each one worthy of a playthrough. It was to demonstrate that you don't have to like all aspects of something to still enjoy it, that games are more than the sum of their parts. That despite not liking certain aspects of certain games, I will still play them because, at least in the case of these games I cited as examples, the stories and experiences were second to none. Which gave way to the larger point that the world isn't black and white, that just because you dislike something it doesn't mean you can't also be excited at the same time. Hellblade wasn't fun from a gameplay perspective, but the overall experience was worth more, and therefore I am hopeful to recapture that experience from the second one.

I get the impression however that there are no combination of words that I could say in which you would admit to understanding and then engage in a good faith discussion, so this seams pointless to me.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, if we can't cut off heads in that game why are they even making it?

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF

Instead of suggesting others to grow up you should perhaps reflect on why exactly you fail to see the blatant hypocrisy in complaining about very specific aspects (pioneered by Ninja Theory themselves twelve years ago with Enslaved) of certain formulas in products on which said aspects are complementary only to the overall package, to then be excited for something that's exactly that very same -previously complained about- specific aspects of said formula except X10 and likely core of the overall product.

It's true, we have not seen much of Hellblade II, but I've played every Ninja Theory narrative driven game since Heavenly Sword to be certain that if for someone God of War is an "interactive movie", for that same person Hellblade is hardly going to be more than an "Interactive cutscene" at best.
Of course unless they're going to turn it into DmC inside a Metroidvania in which case I'll gladly take the L and enjoy myself the shit out of the game.

But sure, let's boil all down to Northerner vs Marvel, as if narrative style was even remotely close to be the point.

Walking sections in Hellblade work.

It's a tense, harrowing game and small walking sections give you respite. They don't attempt to move story forward.

I am assuming same would be true of Callisto Protocol.

Haven't played Ragnorok so don't know what to make of it, 1.5 hrs of a walking section sounds excessive though.

Oof85

Is there anything better than the smell of a new AAA Playstaion IP?
Tbh, yeah. A new Nintendo AAA ip.

Because those almost always have a novel new gameplay mechanic that it's built around.

The last AAA Nintendo new ip was Splatoon. I want a new gameplay paradigm to be established.

Sony feels like they start with a concept or world first and work backwards.

as someone who just finished Ragnarök, let me tell you... many modern games aren't just a few minutes in a 50 hour game.
if you play the main quest line basically half of your time spent is either cutscene or slow walking, with one of the slow walking sequences I just had to retroactively record and time, clocking in at more than 10 fucking minutes without pause!

that's why nowadays, as soon as a trailer shows what is clearly a slow walking sequence, I am absolute mentally disengaged in an instant and will ignore the rest of the trailer.
the fact that this dogshit excuse for gamedesign is so prevalent is shocking to me.
The fact that you can’t understand that games cover a wide range, from little gameplay and heavy narrative to little narrative and heavy gameplay, is shocking to me. Perhaps you should just realize the games being made that feature things you don’t like are not bad design but rather just things you don’t like. There are plenty of games today that are all about gameplay and don’t feature long narrative portions.

Unsure if this is a real issue you are having, or if your need to try and win at conversation is so overwhelmingly present in you that you actually wrote all of that while trying to come off as doing so in good faith?

At any rate, I didn't compare the games. I cited two games that had gameplay mechanics I didn't care for, but despite that there were other elements at play that made each one worthy of a playthrough. It was to demonstrate that you don't have to like all aspects of something to still enjoy it, that games are more than the sum of their parts. That despite not liking certain aspects of certain games, I will still play them because, at least in the case of these games I cited as examples, the stories and experiences were second to none. Which gave way to the larger point that the world isn't black and white, that just because you dislike something it doesn't mean you can't also be excited at the same time. Hellblade wasn't fun from a gameplay perspective, but the overall experience was worth more, and therefore I am hopeful to recapture that experience from the second one.

I get the impression however that there are no combination of words that I could say in which you would admit to understanding and then engage in a good faith discussion, so this seams pointless to me.
Look....no offense, but it does comes off as hypocrisy or intellectual dishonesty. Imagine someone saying "I hate or dislike chocolate"(Sony AAA story games mechanics).... then later say "I cant wait to eat a chocolate muffin"(Hell Blade II). Thats what it sounds like, and ironically the rationalization you're using to explain is absent in your criticism for you disliking the qualities of the first option(chocolate). Thats what makes this look funny.

No need to respond if you're done discussing this, but I just wanted to point that out.....:messenger_peace::pie_raybans:

Last edited:
Top Bottom