• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IBM thought Kutaragi was OUT OF HIS MIND about 1,000 the chip-performance of PS2

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
SoVos20 said:
Actually some savants have been shown to be able to do what would seem like impossible mathematical calculations in their heads, like say quickly comming up with different 6 digit prime numbers, some times even faster than a what we would call a fast computer today.

yeah, autistic people especially are often capable of incredible things (it's widely speculated that many of the great thinkers such as Newton, Einstein, Leonardo, et al were at least partially autistic). Just look at Rainman.

Vince said:
While I don't recommend you believe anything the man says of consciosunss, Walker's book is an easy read and had a somewhat intrguing part on the data capacity of the optical sub-system that maybe worth a read.

Walker who? You tell us to read his book, then don't tell us which one, or even his whole name! Vince, you're professors would scold you for failing to use MLA-style source citations! For shame!

MetalAlien

Banned
Sonys number be damned... Sony at least, have a history of showing hardware tech demos that (to date) have looked almost exactly the same as the actual production games....

So seeing the killzone demo and the like, I feel good about buying the PS3.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Over-all I have no real doubt that a complex game will run at say 30-60 fps on PlayStation 3 and the same engine under the same quality constraints (same 3D models, same textures, same AA quality, tri-linar filtering, per-pixel lighting, etc...) would run at 0.03-0.06 fps on PlayStation 2

MetalAlien

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Over-all I have no real doubt that a complex game will run at say 30-60 fps on PlayStation 3 and the same engine under the same quality constraints (same 3D models, same textures, same AA quality, tri-linar filtering, per-pixel lighting, etc...) would run at 0.03-0.06 fps on PlayStation 2

Yea it's called photo mode on GT4.. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SoVos20 said:
Actually some savants have been shown to be able to do what would seem like impossible mathematical calculations in their heads, like say quickly comming up with different 6 digit prime numbers, some times even faster than a what we would call a fast computer today.
Actually, yeah, and I forgot that some autistic people really do have an incredibly precise memory... but again I'd venture to say they're still doing things differently than a computer.

MetalAlien

Banned
Hitokage said:
Actually, yeah, and I forgot that some autistic people really do have an incredibly precise memory... but again I'd venture to say they're still doing things differently than a computer.

Yea it takes a super computer to model (still can't model it completely) all the functions of a sinlge neuron...

What happens in the brain is more like patterns emerging from chaos.. the closest thing to a computer brain today, is the collective power of the internet... imagine a single computer with the collective power of the entire internet and you'd have something close to a human brain... "close"

Amir0x

Banned
KenKutaragi.jpg

AB 101 said:
You are consistent.

Well, Jobs had a ton of share during the Apple II days.

Yeah, it was a while back but it does count. ;)

Jeez, you're hard to please! I was trying to say nice things about Sony......... atapplesexpensehehehe.

Panajev2001a said:

when PS3 was going to conciderably more powerful than what it is today, I believed that, but now I have my doubts. On the other hand, I will keep an open mind Panajev, because I respect you and what you have to say :)

Wunderchu

Panajev2001a said:
you make an interesting point

Top Bottom