• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

Good news. It doesn't seem to be spewing as much ash as of late. Water/ice in the crater must be nearly gone. Might also be phasing into a lava eruption.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I really wish someone would tell us what the fuck is going on. I'm biting my nails down to my knuckles over my flight from Edinburgh > Amsterdam > Xiamen > Taipei that leaves on Thursday morning. But right now it's just a case of wait and see. I hate this shit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fuckin flying to poland tomorrow from amsterdam. god damnit iceland you always pull this shit when I wanna travel.

MaddenNFL64

Iceland volcanoes' reaction to worlds travel plans:

PBZkQ.jpg

industrian

German flights are being cancelled now.

KLM have cancelled a lot of flights in Bremen, Hannover and Hamburg.

The_Inquisitor said:
I fly through London in 2 weeks to go home. I should be ok right?

Far too early to know. If there is a large eruption about three days before your flight, then you could be in trouble. Although directions of winds, and heavy rainfall could get you out of trouble again.

industrian said:
German flights are being cancelled now.

KLM have cancelled a lot of flights in Bremen, Hannover and Hamburg.
You should be ok by Thursday mate. I work at Edinburgh airport and will try to keep you updated.

industrian

Harry_Tequila said:
I think it's time we went to war with Iceland. This is getting ridiculous and they just don't give a fuck.

We should just do this shit Scientology style and drop some nukes into the volcanoes. That'd sort them out.

industrian

jamieson87 said:
You should be ok by Thursday mate. I work at Edinburgh airport and will try to keep you updated.

Put your hand on your monitor man. It's time for a ScotGAF internet bro-fist. Or if all goes as planned I can give it to you in person on Thursday.

My flight is KL 1280 btw.

industrian

Just checked in for my flight tomorrow. KLM have cancelled no new flights from Edinburgh today so it's a good sign. Fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
flight from amsterdam to warsaw tonight is still scheduled to go.... apparently there is ash in the sky above nl but not enough to worry the flights at present.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Eruption is almost over, but there are some wierd stuff going on with tremors, looks like magma is still rising and looking for its way to the surface... could be only minor pause, new vents could open or some other volcano could go off.

pestul

http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/

Jon seems to be concerned about an EQ swarm at Katla today. Could signal the start of something.. just what we need now.

Around 17:10 UTC an earthquake swarm did start in Katla volcano. This earthquake swarm is focused inside the Katla caldera at small point. The one earthquake that I have so far been able to record was an long period earthquake, but that suggests that this earthquake was created by magma movement. At current time I am not sure from where this earthquake did originate from. But from Goðabunga area in Katla volcano this types of earthquakes are common and no surprise at all.

At current time I do not know what this means for Katla volcano. But so far no increase in harmonic tremor has been detected on the seismometers around Katla volcano. But that might not start at current time, as harmonic tremor is only going to increase when magma starts to move inside the Katla volcano, like did happen in Grímsfjall volcano few weeks ago.

The location of this earthquake swarm strongly suggests that what is going on in Katla volcano is an dike intrusion in the Katla caldera. If that is powerful enough to start an eruption is an question remained unanswered at current time.

pestul

Jón Frímann says:
June 17, 2011 at 21:34
I did manage to record two earthquakes from the last burst of earthquakes. Both of them where long period earthquakes. That is magma pushing it’s way up the crust. The earthquakes happen at random time, so it is hard to know what is going on.

But I have an bad feeling about this. I must say. But at the moment the best thing to do is to observe what is going on.

Almost time for a new thread I think, but I'll post this here for now.

pestul

Katla is very overdue for a VEI4+ eruption. It has had several subglacial eruptions since 1918 (last major VEI4), but the weren't very significant. Remember, when this one goes, the glacial flood can been larger than outflow of 5 of the world's largest rivers combined. Viewing something of that magnitude in our day and age of modern digital photography would be breathtaking if no one is harmed.. Sadly the impact to Iceland would be tremendous.

Strax

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/L2...nusual-seismic-activity-at-Hekla-volcano.html

Iceland on Tuesday reported unusual seismic activity at Mount Hekla, one of its most active volcanos, and raised its alert level but said no eruption was imminent.
The Icelandic Met Office said it had raised its aviation warning level a notch Tuesday for the first time in two years following “elevated unrest above a known background level during the last weeks.”
The office told AFP there was no smoke rising from the mountain, but dark clouds seen from the ground could lead people to think there had been an eruption.
The alert level for the aviation industry was raised from “green” to “yellow”, which it described as a precautionary measure due to the volcano’s “increased earthquake activity.”
Emergency services said in a separate statement that they had declared “an uncertainty phase”, the lowest level of warning issued for events “that may threaten public health and safety, or that an environment or inhabited area may be threatened.”
The eruption of Iceland’s Eyjafjoell volcano in April 2010 stranded more than eight million travellers as volcanic ash spread across Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom