• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT HAS BEGUN

g-110521-cvr-volcano2-7a.grid-8x2.jpg

Thats a 12 mile high plume!

pestul

They're saying this eruption is 10x greater than both the 2010 Ejyalla and 2004 Grimsvoetn eruptions.. but the composition of the plume is different so it may not effect air travel as much. This is still very much a developing situation though, as earthquakes are spreading to various calderas on the island.

Garcia

Beautiful eruption <3.

Snytbaggen said:
^ Awesome photo, does any one have a higher res version?

Ditto. I'd like that as my wallpaper, we hadn't had such a spectacular eruption for a while.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Fuck this, I'm gonna be pissed if it shuts flights in Ireland again.
Primavera in Barcelona starting this Thursday.

StuKen

navanman said:
Fuck this, I'm gonna be pissed if it shuts flights in Ireland again.
Primavera in Barcelona starting this Thursday.

I'm heading out Wednesday morning. They can happily close the airspace after that. I will hitch-hike back to Dublin if needs be.

pestul

Coutesy_NASA_ISS-011.jpg

Cool pic

EDIT: Don't think is the same eruption as it appears to be too close to the coast. Still a neat picture though.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Flightradar24 just added ash cloud layer, so you can see where it will be and how will affect airtraffic.

Atleast there is lesser amount of ash today, due to lower plume (5-9 km). But tremors are saying that eruption is still very strong, magma is rising from great depth. It is hard to see plume today, due to very strong overcast and wind on Iceland. Only one part of Iceland is not covered with dust, livestock is dying, visibility is 1-500 meters on most affected places. Where is Iceland GAF? :D

Pestul, that pic is from ISS. They were right above Kamchatka when local volcano erupted

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm scheduled to be flying from Edinburgh > Amsterdam > Xiamen > Taipei on Thurs/Friday. If this shit fucks me up, then I will not be a happy person (to say the very least.)

DrM said:
Flightradar24 just added ash cloud layer, so you can see where it will be and how will affect airtraffic.

Atleast there is lesser amount of ash today, due to lower plume (5-9 km). But tremors are saying that eruption is still very strong, magma is rising from great depth. It is hard to see plume today, due to very strong overcast and wind on Iceland. Only one part of Iceland is not covered with dust, livestock is dying, visibility is 1-500 meters on most affected places. Where is Iceland GAF? :D

Pestul, that pic is from ISS. They were right above Kamchatka when local volcano erupted

fuck, that's scary :(

Meadows

Banned
lol @ the US if your president gets stuck in Europe! Doesn't that mean he's unable to run the country and Biden is in charge....haha

okno

DrM said:

It's funny, because my family in Iceland isn't even talking about the volcano at all. No one there is all that concerned, except for the people living near it. Still, the volcano has the potential to do some serious damage. My aunt posted a thing on her Facebook saying it's 10x worse than last years, though I'm not sure I quite believe that.

pestul

okno said:
It's funny, because my family in Iceland isn't even talking about the volcano at all. No one there is all that concerned, except for the people living near it. Still, the volcano has the potential to do some serious damage. My aunt posted a thing on her Facebook saying it's 10x worse than last years, though I'm not sure I quite believe that.
They're saying that is has ejected more material in 48hrs than the entire 2010 eruption.. so I would say its pretty significant.

kottila

Frontpage of our local tabloid today: Headline reads:
Hits Bergen today, several flights cancelled - Fears another ash chaos

wl2mbc.jpg

yonder

C'mon, Iceland... I got stuck for a week during the last eruption and this time I've got a flight from Edinburgh to Stockholm on Friday. Hope it's over by then.

At least it's a comfort to know that this is one of the few natural disasters we have to deal with in Europe; feels almost silly to complain about it in the light of what's happened elsewhere recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom