• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceland's most active volcano has started erupting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treefingers said:
564368.jpg

From here.

Thats pretty cool.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Teh Hamburglar said:
Considering last time it fucked up air travel for months, yes.
Such peaceful time it was (i live under busy air 'road' ). No freaking DHL planes in the middle of the night....

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Iceland loves naming things by face-palming the keyboard.

PJV3

Jal said:
I thought Efsjkklfjkrl was supposed to set Katla off.

That's what i thought, Ejjfffiikktlkrul was meant to be the harbinger of doom, bit of a let down really. Good for Icelanders though.

Cyport

God no: UPDATE 6:00 PM (Eastern): Air traffic has been banned in a radius of ~200 km / 120 miles around the volcano (Icelandic) and any air traffic over Iceland will be routed south tonight. The eruption seems to be larger (Icelandic) than in 2004 as well.

Winds please blow north

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
HAH the jokes on you volcano this year I'm getting my Street fighter as a DLC, you fucked me royally last year but not this time, not this time...

Man, hopefully there is no real problem as a result, but it is most beautiful... I can't believe how beautiful nature is every day, then some simple photos blow me away.

Frog'd

Neo Member
Corky said:
HAH the jokes on you volcano this year I'm getting my Street fighter as a DLC, you fucked me royally last year but not this time, not this time...

Came here to post this.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Plume is reaching 20 kilometers, this is the strongest eruption of this volcano in last 100 years. Ash is drifting towards Greenland.

Iceland looks like very interesting country for a visit, need to reconsider this option :)

123rl

I fly from Manchester to Vegas in June. You volcano nerds better have this shit sorted by then because I am NOT missing Vegas!

The current volcanic eruption in Grímsvötn on Vatnajökull glacier is the largest in that volcano 100 years and larger than the one in Eyjafjallajökull last year. It is similar to the eruption of 1873, according to geophysicist Magnús Tumi Gudmundsson. A large flood is not expected.

The current eruption in Grímsvötn is larger in scale than the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull in 2010, according to geophysicist Magnús Tumi Gudmundsson.

This morning the ash cloud was 15 to 18 kilometers high which means that the volcanic eruption is ten times more powerful than the last eruption in Grímsvötn in 2004, Gudmundsson told ruv.is.

However, it is not unique. Grímsvötn goes through phases where it erupts often in a period of 60-80 years, then there are quieter periods of equal length.

In these quieter phases there are small eruptions such as the ones in 1998 and 2004 and then the third and fourth eruption are larger in scale, like in 1619 and in 1873, which is similar in character as the one we’re experiencing now.

It is much larger with much more magma flow and much more emission of ash than what we witnessed in the volcanic eruption in Eyjafjallajökull last year. The ash scatters widely and the ash cloud stretches over a large part of the country.

Source: Icelandreview

And from what I've read, so far it's a basalt eruption, basalt particles are pretty heavy, wich means the wind doesn't carry them as far as normal ash particles. But I'm no expert, so I don't know.

And a video of the eruption: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2w2CjfDvY&feature=channel_video_title

Boozeroony

DrM said:
Plume is reaching 20 kilometers, this is the strongest eruption of this volcano in last 100 years. Ash is drifting towards Greenland.

Iceland looks like very interesting country for a visit, need to reconsider this option :)

Iceland is on my list for years. It is mother natures middle finger.

The_Inquisitor said:
FUCK! I am currently in Greece. I an suppose to return through London back to Dallas in early June. Am I fucked?

Edit - from what I'm gathering on news sites its not as bad as the one in 2010. So far it hasn't impacted travel in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom