• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Elden Ring ends up being a bad release, would you preorder the next FROM game?

Would you preorder the next FROM game if Elden ring launches as described?

• Yes I would

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • No I wouldn't

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • There are no exceptions to the no preorders rule, so no

Votes: 39 51.3%

• Total voters
A lot of people say they usually don't preorder, but FromSoft games are the exception. To those people, hypothetically, what if Elden ring ends up being a bad release?

By 'bad release' I mean any or all of:
- The collector's edition ends up being full of cheap, hastily constructed pieces that fall apart after a few weeks

- The game requires a large day one patch download in order to reliably run for 20 minutes without crashing

- Multiplayer is completely erratic at launch, forcing most to play offline

- Certain early areas cause massive stuttering and slowdowns and prevent a large portion of the playerbase from progressing

- A large amount of content already revealed in marketing is cut from the final game

All of that sounds very negative, but keep in mind this is a hypothetical. I'm excited for the game too

So, would you preorder the next FROM game if Elden Ring releases as described above?

Last edited:

N30RYU

NEVER PREORDER

Unless you want a special edition for collection purposes
Benicio Del Toro Beautiful Beyond Compare GIF

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I will probably buy ER day one, but hardly pre-order (except if there's a discount). I never pre-order.

BUT if they released a game with all these issues then I wouldn't even buy their game until it's either fixed or much cheaper. Just because I'm a fan of their games doesn't mean I'd pay them for crap practices... I'm a fan of their games because they deliver.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I only pre-ordered because CDKeys is 36% cheaper than Steam and I have no idea whether that price stays past pre-order.

Unless your getting one of those crazy collector's editions I don't know why anybody would preorder during the digital age.

This is From, their track record, for me at least, has been pretty impeccable. I

BbMajor7th

I can't see any reason to pre-order. The in-game incentives are almost always weirdly broken and damage the experience (here, have an insanely elegant armour skin locked to Level 5 when you first emerge from your peasant hovel - we promise it won't be narratively discordant to walk around draped in gold-plated, end-game style armour an hour into the adventure).

If you want Collector's Edition landfill kicking around your house, then sure, I guess, but my increasing feeling is that the superior experience is almost always to be found in the Standard Edition, of which there is never a shortage of copies.

Aion002

From Software has enough credit with me that they can release one or two bad games that I will still be hyped with them.

However, I don't pre order games anymore, I always buy games digitally so there's no reason in pre-ordering.

I will buy on day one and I will still get all the pre order bonuses while being able to decide if it's worth it or not.

GymWolf

From the previews videos you can already tell that the game is gonna be at least very good\great so there is virtually no chance of this happening...

Last edited:

Aenima

I never pre-order, unless it saves me money, so i always pre-order games that i want to play at launch. :p

But i usually just pre-order 1 week before launch day. By then i already have a good idea how the game runs from ppl that got the game earlier. Exception was from Cyberpunk, when a trash company purposedly only sent the PC version of they game for review.

VN1X

Banned
A lot of people say they usually don't preorder, but FromSoft games are the exception. Well, what if Elden ring ends up being a bad release?

By 'bad release' I mean any or all of:
- The collector's edition ends up being full of cheap, hastily constructed pieces that fall apart after a few weeks

- The game requires a large day one patch download in order to reliably run for 20 minutes without crashing

- Multiplayer is completely erratic at launch, forcing most to play offline

- Certain early areas cause massive stuttering and slowdowns and prevent a large portion of the playerbase from progressing

- A large amount of content already revealed in marketing is cut from the final game

All of that sounds very negative, but keep in mind this is a hypothetical. I'm excited for the game too

So, would you preorder the next FROM game if Elden Ring releases as described above?
Are you part of a marketing team or some shit? What Pepega brain nonsense is this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

none of that will happen so it's doesn't matter

It matters precisely because it is unlikely.

There are very few studios that can generate the amount of hype FROM does, and that's because people trust they will release a good game.
"What happens to all that trust if they don't" is an interesting question

i don't pre order but if i were gonna it'd be a From Software game. i can't see there being any major issues with it. they know what they doing.

GametimeUK

People are saying they don't understand pre orders in a digital age, but neither did I at one point. In my day I pre ordered to secure the physical copy and like many I didn't see why people would pre order digitally as there isn't the risk of the game going out of stock.

However, if an online storefront offers pre install and digital refunds then I see no reason how this is negative. You don't have to wait around for the download on launch day which is a pro of pre ordering digitally and if you don't like it, you haven't got the con of not being able to refund it. It's a win / win.

Spaceman292

Banned
Pretty sure this is always true.
Anyway, on Steam it's easier to just buy it the moment it comes out. If you predownload it then it takes about 12 years to unpack all the data.

Last edited:
I never pre-order, because there really is zero point.
depends.
  • if it's a really popular game i wouldn't be against someone pre ordering it. i'm thinking something on the level of GTA VI here and even then i think you could still easily get a copy at launch.
  • if there are pre order bonuses then i might be tempted. for example, i was gonna buy Football Manager last week because if you pre order you get a discount on the game and get to play it 2 weeks early.
  • if a game had a collectors edition i wanted then that makes total sense to pre order.
but yeah i don't tend to pre order cause it rarely worth it. i buy digital so makes even less sense cause it's not like copies are limited.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Tbf id be incredibly surprised if it happens, they pumped out 3 dark souls and bloodborne in the space of 6 years all quality titles (except for there pc ports but it was expected at the time) even shadows die twice was a solid release, i have faith in them because even though they have had alot of duds in there time almost all of there games have had quality even if there games were bad, cdpr has always had a reputation for glithes, witcher 1 back in the day was pretty bad

Relique

I haven’t pre-ordered a game since Deus Ex : Human Revolution.

there’s absolutely no utility in Pre-ordering games.
If you are on PC and are taking advantage of sources like GreenManGaming, then pre-ordering usually saves you 20% off the retail price. This discount usually goes away for a while after the game releases. $12 dollars a game really adds up at the end of the year, and for someone like me who only pre-orders stuff I am absolutely certain of, I haven't been disappointed in a pre-order yet.

Speaking of which, this actually includes some digital PS games as well. This is how I got God of War on release.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I don't preorder games, even beloved Fromsoftware ones.

The only exceptions was MMORPG back in time, when i've played the beta and we joined as a guild day one. But not anymore.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I like the From games and Dark Souls, but I don't preorder their games. Or any games.

I do not like Bloodborne.

FROM Software is the only AAA dev that I still trust... I still don't pre-order their games. There's literally not one single reason to do so.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It won't be a bad release. Get the fuck outta here with that non-sense. I supposed Cyberpunk 2077 is proof that even the best developers can royally fuck up, but From won't be it.

Having said that, I no longer see ANY reason to pre-order a damn thing. Not one.

Last edited:
If they fix it with in 2 months, that will be fine.

Its a big open world rpg so some bugs are to be expected.

But if they pull Cyberpunk and make unfixable shit, wouldn't see a dime again from me.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I never pre-order, because there really is zero point.

Yeah often there isn't much of a point in pre-ordering, and in those cases I completely agree. But for Elden Ring the game is 70 USD (currency converted) on Steam , but only 45 USD as pre-order on a different site. So almost 40% off is a pretty good pre-order deal - Unless the game is shit of course..

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

Oh give me a break...
Why even to think about thing like this?
Is there anything that suggest bad release?
You actually want bad release so people will stop pre-ordering their games?
I dont get it, seriously.

Last edited:
If you are on PC and are taking advantage of sources like GreenManGaming, then pre-ordering usually saves you 20% off the retail price. This discount usually goes away for a while after the game releases. $12 dollars a game really adds up at the end of the year, and for someone like me who only pre-orders stuff I am absolutely certain of, I haven't been disappointed in a pre-order yet.

Speaking of which, this actually includes some digital PS games as well. This is how I got God of War on release.
That’s cool. I rarely buy games day 1. There’s usually very little point in that either but i can understand it more than pre ordering.

Aenima

Thers a beta going one. Players can already see how the game plays. ANd the porpose of these betas is to make sure the netcode is fine by the time the game releases.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
If it ended up being "bad" like DS2, that would be good. DS2 is my favorite Fromsoft game.

If it ended up bad by your definition, though, that's another story. Hopefully it's nothing that a patch can't fix.

Last edited:
Is there anything that suggest bad release?
You actually want bad release so people will stop pre-ordering their games?
I dont get it, seriously.
Thers a beta going one. Players can already see how the game plays. ANd the porpose of these betas is to make sure the netcode is fine by the time the game releases.
It won't be a bad release. Get the fuck outta here with that non-sense
This thread isn't about telling people they shouldn't have preordered elden ring. It's not about suggesting any of the problems in the op will happen. I don't believe a single one of them will

It is asking:
If a studio that has released 6 amazing games releases one that launches in a poor technical state and renders all pre-order incentives pointless, will people still preorder from that studio based on the strength of the 6 other games without reservation?

I could have picked any studio. Except, like I said in the op, FROM is one of the only studios that people still trust to release great games

Are the things mentioned in the op so far out there that you can't imagine what your reaction would be?

Top Bottom