• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If the games industry wants to grow, they should embrace PAY 2 WIN. Yeah yeah, calm down...

Is Pay 2 Win the future for this industry?

• Yes, but I still hate it.

• Yes, and what you describe sounds intriguing.

• OP, you are a treasonous pile of trash for suggesting this.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Pay 2 win is one of the most universally despised concepts in gaming. I, like many of you, hissed at it for most of my gaming life.

I was wrong.

The problem with Pay 2 win has always been in its implementation, not in it's concept.

Our favorite movies, TV shows, and books abide by Pay 2 Win rules. Darth Vader spends trillions building his Death Star. He has billions of white helmeted soldiers. He's bribing (I think) politicians across the galaxy. Luke Skywalker enters as a F2P player. Darth Vader has numerous advantages over Luke Skywalker but Luke still has "fun" fighting the empire. All of our favorite stories are asymmetrical. That's Pay 2 Win.

The problem with Pay 2 Win is that it's implementation has been garbage. Up until this point, pay to win has made not paying, unenjoyable. The asymmetry of going against a whale is miserable. So much so that it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the majority of the player base. The correction is simply making the experience fun for the player who doesn't pay anything. Star Wars becomes a much less enjoyable movie if the cheapo Rebel Alliance quite and go play another game. When developers figure out how to make the asymmetry fun...BOOM, there's your industry growth.

Frodo-Sam-and-Gollum-in-front-of-Saurons-Tower-Mount-Doom-Gorgoroth-Mordor.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I want you to know that you're swimming in a pool. A pool where all the people think the correction to the industries stagnation...is to make shorter, AA games. Stop swimming in that pool. Those people don't understand how markets evolve. Swim in my pool. Swim in the pool of inevitability.

I swear to God someone will unearth this thread in 1,000 years and people will start worshipping me.

Damigos

I want you to know that you're swimming in a pool. A pool where all the people think the correction to the industries stagnation...is to make shorter, AA games. Stop swimming in that pool. Those people don't understand how markets evolve. Swim in my pool. Swim in the pool of inevitability.

I swear to God someone will unearth this thread in 1,000 years and people will start worshipping me.
In 1000 years i will also worship you

SHA

What's the Difference between lag wins and pay 2 win? They both sucks, you knew someone is grinding cause he gives a shit while others win and not giving a shit cause they paid for it, that part I don't understand how gen z got used to it, but thanks, I don't want to.

ungalo

Our favorite movies, TV shows, and books abide by Pay 2 Win rules. Darth Vader spends trillions building his Death Star. He has billions of white helmeted soldiers. He's bribing (I think) politicians across the galaxy. Luke Skywalker enters as a F2P player. Darth Vader has numerous advantages over Luke Skywalker but Luke still has "fun" fighting the empire. All of our favorite stories are asymmetrical. That's Pay 2 Win.
???

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
One thing that is interesting about the responses in this thread.

I am, far and away, the biggest champion of multiplayer on this lovely site. If that's the case, perhaps my love of the medium should carry a little more weight than normal. I'm still waiting for the first single, valid criticism or potential problem. If the industry wants to grow, we need to start moving past the "Make shorter games" idea. We've all heard it a hundred times already and it doesn't work. Think outside the box.

What's the Difference between lag wins and pay 2 win? They both sucks, you knew someone is grinding cause he gives a shit while others win and not giving a shit cause they paid for it, that part I don't understand how gen z got used to it, but thanks, I don't want to.

Winning isn't the objective. Rocky didn't win at the end of Rocky. Brad Pitt doesn't win at the end of Seven. Thelma and Louise don't win at the end of Thelma and Louise. Hell, Joel doesn't win at the end of The Last of Us.

Fun is the objective. We play games for fun. We play games to experience a story.

That all jives with the concept posed in the OP.

Chastten

Banned
Why would this industry need to grow anymore though? We've got more games coming out than any person could ever hope to play and most publishers are generating record profits.

Even if I kinda, somewhat, understand what you're saying, it's absolutely not the kind of direction I want the industry to move towards. I rarely play online or multiplayer games, if the industry expands in that direction, it wouldn't benefit me as a gamer. It would only benefit huge megacorporations that are already making billions.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why would this industry need to grow anymore though? We've got more games coming out than any person could ever hope to play and most publishers are generating record profits.

Even if I kinda, somewhat, understand what you're saying, it's absolutely not the kind of direction I want the industry to move towards. I rarely play online or multiplayer games, if the industry expands in that direction, it wouldn't benefit me as a gamer. It would only benefit huge megacorporations that are already making billions.
Fun, interesting, and rewarding gameplay always benefits the gamer. It's the core reason we play games.

This is ancient type thinking. Winning isn't the end goal. Fun is the end goal. There isn't a person posting in this thread who would rather win and have a bad time over losing and have a good time. That person doesn't exist.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont get how can someone actively wants to make gaming miserable.....If you truly believe your own bullshit then there is no one who can help you.

Thats "nicest" way I can put it.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Fun, interesting, and rewarding gameplay always benefits the gamer. It's the core reason we play games.

This is ancient type thinking. Winning isn't the end goal. Fun is the end goal. There isn't a person posting in this thread who would rather win and have a bad time over losing and have a good time. That person doesn't exist.
Yeah, but I generally don't find multiplayer games 'fun', 'interesting' or 'rewarding' so unless some company has a brilliant plan to get me invested in those it'll be a hard sell.

Pallas

Gold Member

seth meyers get help GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Vick

How many more Threads we have to endure before some high up realizes Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is a corporate mole whose sole purpose is to persuade this community to embrace all that's beneficial to corporations?

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

If it was up to him we'd have no single player games, no physical, and all the best studios on the planet would be forced to waste decades supporting pay 2 win games that few years later would be forever lost in the ether anyway..

Always benefits the gamer.

Mean Girls Halloween GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah, but I generally don't find multiplayer games 'fun', 'interesting' or 'rewarding' so unless some company has a brilliant plan to get me invested in those it'll be a hard sell.

I think this medium is constantly progressing and the reasons why you dislike multiplayer today may be solved sometime in the future. Certainly there are areas of your life where you did not like THING until you experienced a certain variation of THING.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's genuine. I prefer listening to opposing viewpoints and challenging my beliefs...certainly when it comes to gaming. I'm super open to new ideas and out of the box thinking when it comes to a hobby that is all too often stale.
This not “out of the box” thinking, you just post really, really stupid ideas and see how other people react to it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This not “out of the box” thinking, you just post really, really stupid ideas and see how other people react to it.

I genuinely believe, if you talked to game developers like Ken Levine, Jonathan Blow, Hideo Kojima etc...and asked them to look into the future of their medium and discuss how F2P could be implemented in a healthy way, they would be able to engage in an intellectually stimulating conversation. Concepts and ideas aren't a threat to creators. It's fun to brainstorm about topics we rarely discuss...or at least it is for some.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It's genuine. I prefer listening to opposing viewpoints and challenging my beliefs...certainly when it comes to gaming. I'm super open to new ideas and out of the box thinking when it comes to a hobby that is all too often stale.
Your original post is devoid of thought or examples. I think you just wanted to shit on Luke and the Rebels to sound smart in some abstract delusional way.

Here’s an idea: Take a game we have right now, that isn’t pay to win, and show us what pay to win you would add and how it objectively makes the game better.

Which you can’t do because it’s impossible. An even playing field is the point of MP games. The second you ignore skill by making it who has the biggest bank account, you no longer have a game. You just have a funnel of money for a greedy scum bag fueled by retards.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I genuinely believe, if you talked to game developers like Ken Levine, Jonathan Blow, Hideo Kojima etc...and asked them to look into the future of their medium and discuss how F2P could be implemented in a healthy way, they would be able to engage in an intellectually stimulating conversation. Concepts and ideas aren't a threat to creators. It's fun to brainstorm about topics we rarely discuss...or at least it is for some.
Wait are you confusing pay to win with free to play?

Top Bottom