• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Madworld review - 9.0

Mamesj said:
Yeah, but how can he be trusted? He's on the inside. It'd be like George Bush telling you they didn't make gasoline out of iraqi babies.

How can any poster HERE be trusted though? I mean... we're all insane.

markatisu

WTF has this thread turned into, the game got a very high score and reaffirms how good it is and all we are doing is complaining about the length and the fact its 480i

Wow when a Wii game does good people really fucking scrap the barrel to complain don't they?

Once we get the game I want to hear from all the whiners over whether they can tell how bad the 480i is, I would suspect most wont notice or if they do it will be because they are trying to nitpick and justify complaining. Nobody ever noticed the difference during any of the hands-on and it was not till IGN said "oh btw its not 480p" that people here even felt it was a problem

And complaining about the length? Seriously, if it were 8-12hrs there would be 100 posts saying "this game is repetitive as hell, I am bored playing for so long". The achilles heel of a brawler is being too long, its like nobody ever played a Streets of Rage or even in recent times No More Heroes

GDGF

Soothsayer
markatisu said:
And complaining about the length? Seriously, if it were 8-12hrs there would be 100 posts saying "this game is repetitive as hell, I am bored playing for so long". The achilles heel of a brawler is being too long, its like nobody ever played a Streets of Rage or even in recent times No More Heroes

High five.

Chumly

IGN UK REVIEW

Heres another opinion since everyones being fucking babies

9.0 Presentation
Everything from menu design to visual style and audio elements combine into one thoroughly cohesive, totally unique vision.
9.5 Graphics
It's an astonishingly unique, singularly arresting art style that proves admirably that talent, rather than technical horsepower, makes the difference.
8.0 Sound
Too much repetition marrs an otherwise pitch-perfect (and brilliantly obscene) commentary while music and effects are fitting, if never revelatory.
8.5 Gameplay
It's an intoxicating riot of visceral ultraviolence and weirdly empowering creativity. Typical control irritations usurp your ingenuity though.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
A couple of hours to play through but Death Watch Challenges, multiplayer, a terrifying Hard mode and general obsessive point-collecting extend life tremendously.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Plenty will gravitate toward MadWorld simply for its more controversial elements. However, its relatively singular obsession with multiplier point progression is likely to repel anyone expecting pure action thrills, particularly given the core game's length. It’s a game that’s ‘hardcore’ in more ways than mere gratuitous excess and its combo-based core will be most appreciated by those with a score-obsessed arcade mentality. Control issues hamper fluidity but there’s no denying that, with some investment, MadWorld rewards in huge doses, delivering an incredibly visceral experience that's as stunningly unique and obscenely entertaining as it is just plain obscene.

pakkit

Banned
I do recall clambering in the NMH threads for straight boss-runs, which would make the game about a 2-3 hour experience. Brawlers are replayable, and very much about score chasing. I would normally be disappointed by 480i, but since no one noticed it until they actually checked up on it, maybe it really doesn't make a difference. The only reason I can possibly think of is that, instead of aliasing, they wanted it to have a softer edge look (to keep the ink/comic look), and kept it lower rez. That or laziness, but that seems really unlikely too.

Haunted

Mamesj said:
Yeah, but how can he be trusted? He's on the inside. It'd be like George Bush telling you they didn't make gasoline out of iraqi babies.
Which they do! And everyone knows it.

Jaded Alyx said:
Use commas next time. When I read that, I almost had a heart attack. What an ungodly merger that would be.
:lol oh that would be something.

AceBandage said:
Not really familiar with EG, but Edge? Eh, they seem too harsh just for the sake of being harsh.
But whatever, each review is just an opinion of that person.
Personally, my own opinions of games have fallen in line pretty closely with IGN (outside of a few like NMH and Jade Empire).
Unlike other enthusiast outlets, EDGE actually uses the 1-10 scale properly, even for big titles. Do I agree with all of their reviews? of course not, that would be preposterous. But as far as journalistic integrity goes, they're at the top of the pile.

While the three I mentioned above are at the bottom. Not talking about any and all review sites/blogs/whatever, just the big ones, obviously.

edit: where's that IGN Football Manager review when you need it

The side effect to this design choice is that ultra-stylized works are perfectly suited to Nintendo's underpowered console, which struggles to render realistic environments, but is amply armed where art is emphasized over technology.
Yup, it's a Casamassina review alright. Between his obsessive need to say this shit in his reviews for every major Wii game and his dangerously close together mole eyes I sometimes wonder if he's mildly retarded as the result of inbreeding.

pakkit

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yup, it's a Casamassina review alright. Between his obsessive need to say this shit in his reviews for every major Wii game and his dangerously close together mole eyes I sometimes wonder if he's mildly retarded as the result of inbreeding.
He makes a point. It's just that he makes the point time and time again. Art always transcends polygons.

pakkit said:
He makes a point. It's just that he makes the point time and time again. Art always transcends polygons.
I know what his point is, but how many years does it make sense to regurgitate the same tripe about "the Wii can't do graphics". It's completely unnecessary, and not even especially accurate. Everyone already gets (or got, oh, I don't know... 2 years ago?) that the Wii isn't the 360 or PS3, but acting like it's incapable of decent graphics outside of cel shading is hyperbole. It's like if every FPS review for the HD systems had the line "while the system lacks intuitive IR control the dual analogs are used to their maximum potential". That would be pretty fucking stupid, no? Especially the 50th time it's written.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
v1cious said:
God Hand wasn't a mindless bloodbath. this game would probably kill on 360.

Considering the story in Madworld is probably ten times better than God Hand, and the battle system is suppose to be pretty satisfying, this is really stupid to say.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheGrayGhost said:
I understand why some gamers enjoy these kinds of games.

...Actually, I don't. What I mean to say is, I understand what their appeal is supposed to be. What I don't understand is why that is appealing in the first place. Now, I'm not interested in persuading any of you, I'm just explaining why I'll likely be passing this up and why many other Wii-only owners may pass this up.

Stop speaking for the masses. Speak for yourself. Your arguments are often conscending or stupid. There is plenty of think to be done in a game of L4D if you dont want to die constantly and have everyone pissed at you but its also plenty easy to get into. Millions of people wouldnt have bought it otherwise. I'm sure all those minigame collections are totally not mindless

benita316

Banned
So instead of the usual 'why so low?' this is a 'why so high?' thread?

Threads like this make me think that Wii fans might actually be the most reasonable of the bunch...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
benita316 said:
So instead of the usual 'why so low?' this is a 'why so high?' thread?

Threads like this make me think that Wii fans might actually be the most reasonable of the bunch...

Or stupid in a different way.

Cipherr

dark10x said:
Oh, come on, 480p doesn't make a significant difference unless your display does a poor job de-interlacing. The visuals look better than the majority of Wii games out there.

dark10x account has been hacked.

andthebeatgoeson

Wario64 said:
I'm begging you, buy this game so that we'll see more like it.
I will take one for the team. I'm buying this even though I have reservations, like I did with GTA4 and like I will with RE5. About the only game I can count on is probably GTA Chinatown.

Tain

GDGF said:
It's a beat em up. Who would want to play a beat em up for 10 hours straight?

Now I'm sure it's an awesome game and I've been waiting for it for some time, but those of you complaining about the length of a beat em up have probably never set foot in an arcade any earlier than the year 2000.

5-6 hours is the perfect length. Hell, it may be a little much.

This (and God Hand, for that matter) are nothing like arcade beat 'em ups. That doesn't mean that they aren't action games that should be short, but drawing comparisons between this and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs doesn't make a lot of sense beyond "they both involve beating a lot of people up."

On the absolute surface-level, arcade beat 'em ups generally take more than 5-6 hours of play to learn to the point of beating them. IGN's claiming Madworld is "blasted" through.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
pakkit said:
I do recall clambering in the NMH threads for straight boss-runs, which would make the game about a 2-3 hour experience. Brawlers are replayable, and very much about score chasing. I would normally be disappointed by 480i, but since no one noticed it until they actually checked up on it, maybe it really doesn't make a difference. The only reason I can possibly think of is that, instead of aliasing, they wanted it to have a softer edge look (to keep the ink/comic look), and kept it lower rez. That or laziness, but that seems really unlikely too.
How can I notice before a game is released?

markatisu

Tain said:
This (and God Hand, for that matter) are nothing like arcade beat 'em ups. That doesn't mean that they aren't action games that should be short, but drawing comparisons between this and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs doesn't make a lot of sense beyond "they both involve beating a lot of people up."

How so, the point in MadWorld levels for the most part is to beat up as many enemies as you can in creative ways (using the surrounding environment) to get your point total up.

How is that different from arcade beat em ups where you go from point A to point B and try to get the highest score in the process???

NMH was the same way except instead of points you tried to earn money so that you could gain access to the boss battles and power up your weapons

bullshit

it seems like this might be out wednesday, not tomorrow. Gamestop didn't call yet like they did for Pikmin Wii, a game I'm not even buying.

GDGF

Soothsayer
markatisu said:
How so, the point in MadWorld levels for the most part is to beat up as many enemies as you can in creative ways (using the surrounding environment) to get your point total up.

How is that different from arcade beat em ups where you go from point A to point B and try to get the highest score in the process???

NMH was the same way except instead of points you tried to earn money so that you could gain access to the boss battles and power up your weapons

I didn't see Tain's post, but markatisu is absolutely right. This is an arcade beat em up with Wii level graphics and modern pizzaz. It's still a beat em up when you scrape everything else away.

Mar

I was going to ask how this got to 6 pages.

Then I saw this post on page 1.

bryehn said:
Cancelled pre-order. Mostly due to budget crunch, but 5-6 hours and 480i don't cut it for me for a retail game. I'm too busy running a site and playing games for that as well as my own recreation to play games twice, so once I hear a game is so short it falls into rental status.

Charging $60 (in Canada at least) certainly doesn't help. I wanted to buy this, really did.

eyes.gif

Linkzg said:
bullshit

it seems like this might be out wednesday, not tomorrow. Gamestop didn't call yet like they did for Pikmin Wii, a game I'm not even buying.

It's bullshit that this game ships on a Tuesday like 95 percent of all games?

Tain

markatisu said:

For starters, you don't need to look much further than the lengths of the games. The longest beat 'em up you'll find in arcades is the D&D Capcom game, which, at a little over two hours to complete, was largely considered too damn long. That is not six hours. But again, you'll spend far longer than two hours learning how to beat the game.

"The point" of the games is similar, sure. You beat up a lot of people in various ways. But there's a fundamental difference when one is shorter and far, far more difficult (arcade, retried over and over to the point where you learn the game well enough to single credit clear it) and the other is a six hour game that you "blast" through to see all the various animations and environmental traps and such.

It's a different case if you typically credit-feed arcade beat 'em ups for the purpose of seeing all the bosses and pickupable items and whatnot, but that just means you removed all challenge and didn't actually play them, frankly.

There are a million other specific things that can be looked at, like the control scheme and the fail/retry structure and the amount of time spent watching cutscenes and so on, but all of these point to the bigger picture of one being a modern action game made for consoles and the other being something made for the arcade environment. The reality is that the two are even less similar than, say, Metal Gear Solid and Chronicles of Riddick.

DeaconKnowledge said:
It's bullshit that this game ships on a Tuesday like 95 percent of all games?

I don't live in whatever depraved land you roam in, but in EAT COAST AMERICA REPRESENT we get games on Tuesday, like the lord intended. Sarcasm only helps your people hide the tears of sadness.

Wizman23

Banned
Rez said:
This 480i/p bullshit is annoying. After 10 minutes of playing most people with neither notice nor care.

THIS! If it's not 720P, 1080i, or 1080p who really cares. 480p is NOT HD or even anywhere close.

Linkzg said:
I don't live in whatever depraved land you roam in, but in EAT COAST AMERICA REPRESENT we get games on Tuesday, like the lord intended. Sarcasm only helps your people hide the tears of sadness.

Apparently you don't!

Mamesj

Banned
GDGF said:
It's bizzaro dark10x. He's become so 'forgiving' of the Wii as of late.

Maybe he realized it's better to look at things on their own level rather than compared to the latest and greatest. Comparing the Wii to the most current technology all gen is a good recipe for complete disappointment.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Tain said:
For starters, you don't need to look much further than the lengths of the games. The longest beat 'em up you'll find in arcades is the D&D Capcom game, which, at a little over two hours to complete, was largely considered too damn long. That is not six hours. But again, you'll spend far longer than two hours learning how to beat the game.

First point, that's why I said 5-6 hours was probably too long for Madworld. I wouldn't complain if it was a tad shorter.

Tain said:
It's a different case if you typically credit-feed arcade beat 'em ups for the purpose of seeing all the bosses and pickupable items and whatnot, but that just means you removed all challenge and didn't actually play them, frankly

Here your words make no sense.

Tain said:
There are a million other specific things that can be looked at, like the control scheme and the fail/retry structure and the amount of time spent watching cutscenes and so on, but all of these point to the bigger picture of one being a modern action game made for consoles and the other being something made for the arcade environment.

None of that changes the fact that at its heart Madworld is a beat em up, and beat em ups are an inherently shorter genre. Increase the length of these kinds of games and you risk boring the player.

Eteric Rice

Mamesj said:
Maybe he realized it's better to look at things on their own level rather than compared to the latest and greatest. Comparing the Wii to the most current technology all gen is a good recipe for complete disappointment.

This is what I've been doing since the beginning. :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mamesj said:

Oh I agree. It's just really strange seeing these words next to his avatar after all these years :lol

So it took a couple of weeks for the Official MadWorld thread to hit almost seven hundred posts and it took less than half a day for a thread on one review for the game to reach nearly half that amount.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I think you guys are confused. Their is nothing remotely "professional" about a game review. Gaming journalism is an oxymoron these days.

I'll be picking this up on Wednesday. Glad to hear about the hard difficulty levels and added two-player mode. I beat Godhand at least 4 times and still play it till this day because the combat was so satisfying. I'm also glad to see they can still make great action games without Mikami.

jaundicejuice said:
So it took a couple of weeks for the Official MadWorld thread to hit almost seven hundred posts and it took less than half a day for a thread on one review for the game to reach nearly half that amount.

It's to be expected, sadly.
Had this game gotten, say, an 8, it wouldn't even have gotten a quarter of these posts.

Top Bottom