• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN/NXGamer: Assassin's Creed: Mirage PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PS4 vs Xbox One Performance Review

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Assassin's Creed Mirage releases this week on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, PS4, and Xbox One after a 3-year hiatus. AC Mirage is a cross-generation title that offers dual modes on current gen consoles with 4K or 60fps options. Are the last generation consoles showing their age? How much better are the current generation machines? Does the Xbox Series S bridge the gap between them? We eagle dive into another big IGN performance review.

Chapters
0:00 Video Contents
0:40 Engine & Technical highlights
4:37 Platform comparisons
7:45 Current Generation Performance Testing
11:25 Last Generation Visuals & Performance
14:30 Summary

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Chromatic Aberration is 'horrendous'.
- Small animation glitches like the older games.
- Last gen roots are more obvious than ever.

- Current gen machines have 2 modes. Quality & Performance.
- Quality: 2160p on PS5/SX with visual feature parity.
- Performance: DRS 4K to 1620p. Reduction is minor with only slightly softer image and some ghosting, but the easy recommended way to play.
- Series S: Quality DRS 1620p to 1440p at 30 FPS.
- Performance: 900 to 1080p at 60 FPS but with a softer resolve.
- Aggressive chromatic aberration that NXG wishes could be disabled, it is most obvious on the lower resolutions of Series S.

- Performance
- Adaptive V-Sync, Xbox consoles can tear while PS5 can likely but not observed in NXG's testing.
- Mostly 60 FPS in performance mode everywhere with PS5 having a delta of less than 2% improvement in real time cinematics and some eagle flying segments.
- Quality mode is practically locked on all consoles, cut-scenes also locked at 30.
- Since higher frame rate is all but 100% locked, this is the best AC game at launch (in terms of performance profiles)
- Series S Performance mode locks cut-scenes to 30, instead of 60, unlike the other 2. Some single frame drops and tearing with a commendable 60 FPS mode.

- Last Gen:
- PS4 Pro: Max 1440p w/ DRS. Lower texture, LoD, NPC count etc than newer gen consoles. Having a faster HDD or SSD on PS4 can fix some of the pop-in
- PS4: 1080p w/ DRS. Aligned with Pro with some more reductions in settings
- XBO: 900p w/ DRS lows to 630~p
- Xbox One X not covered in the video for some reason
- Last gen versions only have single 30 FPS Mode.
- Dips into the mid 20s, inconsistent 30 FPS during game play.
- PS4 runs better than XBO in general play.

TLDW version ?

Good current gen, eh last gen.

The Performance mode on the newer consoles is the easy pick.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
IGN really trying to get out there first with their videos. It’s seriously been a while since I’ve watched one of their videos. Are they still maxed out at 1080p?

adamsapple

IGN really trying to get out there first with their videos. It’s seriously been a while since I’ve watched one of their videos. Are they still maxed out at 1080p?

The youtube upload? No this one has a 2160p version. But then again, this is basically an NXGamer video under the IGN banner. Not one of IGNs own like their shitty recent Forza or Alan Wake 2 uploads.

Updated post with timestamped video. There's also this video but I am not sure how accurate it is.

There is plenty of FPS drop on XSX on that video starting 6:00 then at 7:49. Down to ~55fps and ~52fps while PS5 is 100% locked at 60fps in the same areas. The first drops look I/O related while the other drops look GPU bound with close camera cuts during killing. Both drops occuring during gameplay.

Seems NXGamer was a bit generous with XSX in his comparison. We can even see XSX having screen-tearing in the 30fps mode.

Edit: Noticeably higher resolution on PS5 using the 30fps mode at 3:28

Last edited:

adamsapple

Looks like he didn't notice it. They aren't the same.

The time stamped segment shows different times of day and haze/dust levels, not exactly 1 : 1 but I'm guessing he's talking in a more general broader sense.

6u5fb4B.png
1cVmvlj.png

2023 and still cross gen wtf, this gen has really been poor, guess pandemic has really done a number. Big question is if we can recover.

Mr Moose

The time stamped segment shows different times of day and haze/dust levels, not exactly 1 : 1 but I'm guessing he's talking in a more general broader sense.

6u5fb4B.png
1cVmvlj.png
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's just the different ToD. Left and right of the head, the foliage. I don't think it's just shadows, though if anyone has it on PS5/Series X could test for us and try to match ToD with the Xbox/PS5 version.
Screenshot20231005at.png

c01Screenshot20231005at.png

adamsapple

When you put this into the context of MS' marketing, it is actually a big "delta".

Well, don't forget that Valhalla (the same engine) was notably better on PS5 at launch. The two are pretty much at parity now. The PS5 version of Valhalla had a 10+ ~FPS advantage in stress areas over SX back in 2020.

The tools™ have come and so have I ™.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's just the different ToD. Left and right of the head, the foliage. I don't think it's just shadows, though if anyone has it on PS5/Series X could test for us and try to match ToD with the Xbox/PS5 version.
Screenshot20231005at.png

c01Screenshot20231005at.png
Maybe a gif that flips between each version can reveal whether there's a difference.

adamsapple

But at what cost, Adam? At what cost...

I remember this, this is when they patched it so the SX DRS went all the way down to 1080p to make up for the performance.

This is what it was like at launch:

jmTIam1.png

The same engine now runs identically across both with minimal ~2% differences. I say that's a pretty massive improvement on the Xbox front.

The difference in resolution between PS4/XboxOne seems to be even bigger than usual; 900P vs 630P as per lowest DRS count and PS4 still runs a bit better.
dude, no

This smaller number is just a possibility for the resolution to momentarily drop to that point. The resolution of both continues to be 1080p vs 900p as always.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There is plenty of FPS drop on XSX on that video starting 6:00 then at 7:49. Down to ~55fps and ~52fps while PS5 is 100% locked at 60fps in the same areas. The first drops look I/O related while the other drops look GPU bound with close camera cuts during killing. Both drops occuring during gameplay.

Seems NXGamer was a bit generous with XSX in his comparison. We can even see XSX having screen-tearing in the 30fps mode.

Edit: Noticeably higher resolution on PS5 using the 30fps mode at 3:28
mbrosR3.gif

Well, don't forget that Valhalla (the same engine) was notably better on PS5 at launch. The two are pretty much at parity now. The PS5 version of Valhalla had a 10+ ~FPS advantage in stress areas over SX back in 2020.

2% is during cutscenes maybe, but in the former video we can see >10% performance delta in some GPU bound scenes. It could be bigger actually as PS5 being locked 60fps the whole way. So basically we can still see the same performance difference in this game as in Valhalla.

13% higher performance on PS5 here during the kill. it goes up to 17% delta (51fps vs 60fps) just after that moment.
wjZcp5c.jpg

Last edited:

So you’re saying that with the awesomely improved tools not only PS5 still performs better, but also look at this 🥹:

8eDw6NU.png

N7DwvGm.png

Don’t know why you have come, but it must be some nice pron movie 🍿. This comparison should be your worst nightmare.

Bojji

Please tell me there's a mod at removing chromatic aberration.

So far none

Serious question, what is the likelihood we get a patch which allows to disable CA? I'm enjoying the game but the CA is a buzzkill.

50%, and probably not very fast. Ubisoft is slow.

It's so fucking ugly I really can't comprehend why it's on by default, it should be there as an OPTION for mentally ill people. Previous AC games didn't have CA at all or very minimal.

TrebleShot

So far none

50%, and probably not very fast. Ubisoft is slow.

It's so fucking ugly I really can't comprehend why it's on by default, it should be there as an OPTION for mentally ill people. Previous AC games didn't have CA at all or very minimal.
Getting a little tired of buying a game, starting it, then having to stop and park it until they fix their shit or add basic options.

mrMUR_96

I do think CA can work in some games, but AC seems like the worst fit for it. It looks very strong here too, hopefully a patch will come soon to disable it.

damidu

adamsapple

So you’re saying that with the awesomely improved tools not only PS5 still performs better, but also look at this 🥹:

Don’t know why you have come, but it must be some nice pron movie 🍿. This comparison should be your worst nightmare.

My friend, the pictures show two completely different times of day, look at where the shadows are landing.

2% is during cutscenes maybe, but in the former video we can see >10% performance delta in some GPU bound scenes. It could be bigger actually as PS5 being locked 60fps the whole way. So basically we can still see the same performance difference in this game as in Valhalla.

13% higher performance on PS5 here during the kill. it goes up to 17% delta (51fps vs 60fps) just after that moment.

Per Lysandros Lysandros , that channel is neither reliable nor accurate.

Per NXGamer "It holds a locked 60 FPS when you're entering the city and this is the majority of what you'll see barring some dips while flying like an eagle, which can drop up on Series X, slightly more frame dips in the real time cinematics that also run at 60 FPS in this mode, the delta between them is less than 2% in PS5's favor".

Last edited:
Top Bottom