• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

big_z

Net_Wrecker said:
It's going to be at least 4 years between this one and the next one, so I too hope they've been working on it, and will announce something this year. If we're still waiting into 2013....Ugh, that will suck.

Plus SSB and Mario Kart are THE games they need to push to show off a new online system.
The guy behind smash brothers has been doing other stuff so development on a new smash is either early or not happening....

Nintendo will be showing:
-newer super Mario bros
-starfox
-animal crossing
-Zelda four swords like title
-Mario party
-Mario kart
-pikmin
-a selection of third party ports including a special edition of PAC man championship.

Zelda, Mario and Starbucks allow players to use their own controller screen to venture away from each other.

Door2Dawn

Banned
big_z said:
The guy behind smash brothers has been doing other stuff so development on a new smash is either early or not happening....

-newer super Mario bros
-starfox
-animal crossing
-Mario party
-Mario kart
-pikmin
-a selection of third party ports including a special edition of PAC man championship.

Zelda, Mario and Starbucks allow players to use their own controller screen to venture away from each other.
wut

watershed

Banned
From The Dust said:
Nintendo is getting into the product placement game. not a bad choice
Especially since Nintendo and Starbucks are both HQ'd in Washington state. Plus they are both massively popular world wide brands. Also this means we will be able to take our cafe controllers to star bucks, hook up to their internet, and play games/do stuff online. Nintendo already made a deal with AT&T who handles all starbucks wifi. Its all coming together!

Instro

big_z said:

Sakurai doesnt necessarily have to be heavily involved in SSB4.

AceBandage said:
Well, we do KNOW that Monolith is working on a new RPG right now.
However, we can't say for sure that it's for Cafe. It could very well be for 3DS.

Don't judge me.

We know Honne and some of the guys that worked on Disaster (and I think Xenosaga 3) are making new games.

Instro

AceBandage said:
Well, we do KNOW that Monolith is working on a new RPG right now.
However, we can't say for sure that it's for Cafe. It could very well be for 3DS.

We do? Link/info regarding this?

watershed

Banned
Speaking of Monolith Soft, have we ever heard more about what game this image pertains to? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416623
The one that goes along with their hiring page, which is still up by the way so it seems like they haven't filled all their positions yet.

IIRC that image went up last year, so it seems like they've been working on a cafe project for a while now.
Edit: I checked the date on the post, it went up in december so not really a year more like 5 months.

Instro

artwalknoon said:
Speaking of Monolith Soft, have we ever heard more about what game this image pertains to? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416623
The one that goes along with their hiring page, which is still up by the way so it seems like they haven't filled all their positions yet.

IIRC that image went up last year, so it seems like they've been working on a cafe project for a while now.
Edit: I checked the date on the post, it went up in december so not really a year more like 5 months.

Oh yeah I remember that. Apparently they had been hiring shader programmers for some time prior to that image, so I guess its safe to assume whatever they are working on they have been doing it for some time and its probably for the Cafe.

itsgreen

big_z said:

-newer super Mario bros
-starfox
-animal crossing
-Mario party
-Mario kart
-pikmin

Yeah because Nintendo is generally known to release all their big franchises for a console in year 1...

I'll give you 3 of those, pick! :)

big_z

itsgreen said:
Yeah because Nintendo is generally known to release all their big franchises for a console in year 1...

i never said they would release those in one year.

Truth101

Banned
itsgreen said:

Just because Nintendo shows off games doesn't mean they will be realising them all in the same year.

Also, we will be seeing Mario Kart, Starfox and probably Animal Crossing, but the 3DS versions and not the console versions. :p

watershed

Banned
This may be a little OT but this idea just came to me as I was reading another thread. For the next metroid game I hope Retro returns to handle the series but I hope they make Samus more agile next time. For example I keep seeing in my head Samus in first person view ala prime series but having the sense dodge move from Other M. I really liked that timing/reflex move which gives you an opening to attack your enemies. So imagine a laser is flying right at you (first person view) but at the right moment you press the right button/button+direction and Samus jumps sideways in slowmo out of the way. So for like 1 or 2 seconds you can aim while you are moving sideways and get some shots off, maybe you can even pull off a quick charge shot so that the sense dodge has more benefit. Anyways I would love for this and other mechanics to make Samus more mobile. One issue I had with the prime series was how heavy Samus felt sometimes.

Instro

I dunno I kind of want to see Nintendo take a stab a legit 3rd person Metroid first while Retro is busy doing other things. Somehow though I think the series will be relegated to 2D for a while.

watershed

Banned
Instro said:
I dunno I kind of want to see Nintendo take a stab a legit 3rd person Metroid first while Retro is busy doing other things. Somehow though I think the series will be relegated to 2D for a while.
How do you imagine that game? Like what game would you compare it to or what style of game do you think of for a 3rd person metroid? I'm assuming you mean a 3d 3rd person metroid right?

Instro

artwalknoon said:
How do you imagine that game? Like what game would you compare it to or what style of game do you think of for a 3rd person metroid? I'm assuming you mean a 3d 3rd person metroid right?

I haven't thought that far ahead really, but there were parts of Other M that worked pretty well. Stick with the auto aim for general shooting but perhaps build more of a Bayonetta style attack system. So yeah couple that with a good Metroidvania style explorable setting along with the usual movement/suit upgrades and such and I think there could be something pretty compelling there.

watershed

Banned
Instro said:
I haven't thought that far ahead really, but there were parts of Other M that worked pretty well. Stick with the auto aim for general shooting but perhaps build more of a Bayonetta style attack system. So yeah couple that with a good Metroidvania style explorable setting along with the usual movement/suit upgrades and such and I think there could be something pretty compelling there.

Wow I was thinking something much more along the lines of dead space but with a much faster/agile/badass samus as opposed to that dude with the battery on his back who creeps everywhere. With Uncharted type platforming and environment based puzzles not the shooting/action stuff.

wrowa

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, if EAD Tokyo is making Mario 3DS, the actual main Mario team will probably be making Mario Cafe.
EAD Tokyo has 2 teams since the start of SMG2's development. They are most probably working on Mario for both 3DS and Cafe.

Poyunch

artwalknoon said:
Wow I was thinking something much more along the lines of dead space but with a much faster/agile/badass samus as opposed to that dude with the battery on his back who creeps everywhere. With Uncharted type platforming and environment based puzzles not the shooting/action stuff.
Eh I rather the platforming be based on well-timed jumps and using powerups as opposed to climbing and clinging.

Instro

artwalknoon said:

Yeah I was actually thinking of something similar as a second option, at least with regards to the shooting aspect. I dont think Uncharted style platforming really fits considering the nature of Samus and her power suit with its crazy powerups.

watershed

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Eh I rather the platforming be based on well-timed jumps and using powerups as opposed to climbing and clinging.

Oh yeah, definitely keeping that too. The swinging and climbing comes from my idea that now with the cafe Nintendo or Retro can really craft environments that look like a real open world as opposed to the number of connected rooms design of the prime series. So large areas would look like real environments where climbing and stuff like that would make sense because there aren't gonna be built-in steps.

Vespene

I'm surprised not that much attention has been given to the question of DVD vs Blu-ray for the console. As evidenced by the 360, DVD is starting to show its age.

Sinoox said:
Sounds like its gonna wind up being a generation behind compared to the other consoles. I am disappoint.

More like 1/2 a generation behind.

I really don't think Cafe will be anywhere near weaker than Xbox3/PS4 as the Wii was compared to 360/PS3.

ReyVGM said:
:O

10 days!

Yeah I know, and tomorrow we'll be into the single digits!

Vespene

They will share the current-gen market with the 360 and PS3 with multiplats across all three platforms. Nintendo will enjoy equality for around 3 years, but will be already outclassed by the PS4 and Xbox Next by its second year.

Log4Girlz

It sounds like this machine will be powerful enough to get perfectly reasonable ports, no need to destroy an engine to get it to run on the Cafe. Oh and Nintendo games will have all the power they could possibly need to meet their full potential. Anything posted in the Zelda HD thread is possible.

With word that Sony is downgrading the NGP system RAM from 512 MB to 256 MB, I hope Nintendo doesn't do something similar, and if they do, I hope devs voice their feelings loud and clear to Nintendo.

Darryl

Banned
Sinoox said:
Sounds like its gonna wind up being a generation behind compared to the other consoles. I am disappoint.

Yea, because we know so much about these other consoles. Microsoft is already looking like they're going to cash out the Xbox franchise into the Kinectbox, and try to be the next generation's Wii.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the next generation too soon.

Log4Girlz

herzogzwei1989 said:
We know very little about Cafe's CPU/GPU/RAM configuration and even less about Xbox3,PS4 to make a judgement.

This is where speculation comes in.

Many people's impressions of these companies can be boiled down to these generalizations:

Nintendo=Cheap
Microsoft=Hilariously rich and don't care too much if Xbox turns a profit
Sony=Hungry to be mindshare leader

The latter two are conducive to power.

KevinCow

Banned
Log4Girlz said:

Many people's impressions of these companies can be boiled down to these generalizations:

Nintendo=Cheap

I think Sony's learned from the way the PSP and PS3 turned out compared to the PS1 and PS2 that having the most powerful hardware does not necessarily make you the mindshare lead-

NGP_Prototype.jpg

...Actually, nevermind.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ReyVGM said:
Morir es vivir. Morir es vivir. Muere muere muere muere...
*tosses a flash grenade and cocks shotgun*

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Log4Girlz said:

Nintendo=Cheap

That was all true last generation. This generation:
-Technology is significantly cheaper. Nintendo won't sell at a loss, but they probably won't intentionally gimp it. They'll build what they can profitably sell. This will be disappointing to people who are expecting more, but I'm not sure how all out the other two are going to go either.

-Microsoft is the most unchanged. But I disagree strongly with your point. Microsoft under Ballmer has let some sheer stupid projects through (Kin) but they cannot be a good company if they don't care about which projects are profitable and which are not.
They are still rich as fuck though. If Kinect had failed I think there would be questions being asked by various important people about exactly why they were still pouring so much money into their gaming division, but by the metrics we've seen, its a success. Its a very showy success.

-Sony has problems. They lost a lot of money this gen. A lot. They care about mindshare, but eventually it becomes a question of sheer affordability. Like Microsoft they probably have people asking "why are we spending so much money on gaming again?" but unlike Microsoft they don't have a breakaway success to point to. I think that the NGP's fate will actually have quite the impact on the future of Sony gaming.

Heavy said:
I'd be kinda surprised if Cafe had a blu-ray drive. Just doesn't seem the Nintendo way.

What about it? Nintendo is finally adopting HD, with more oomf than 360/PS3, BluRay seems like an obvious move to make. It's far more piracy secure than the Wii's DVD's are, it's an existing format with tech that is pretty mature now (unlike 2006), it's got great capacity, and costs have been steadily falling over the past few years. It may well have better read speeds than PS3 BluRay, too.

I'd say that picking the low hanging fruit to include in your console, mature technology that is going to decrease in cost quickly over time to bring manufacturing costs down, is a pretty Nintendo move to make.

wsippel

Banned
Heavy said:
I'd be kinda surprised if Cafe had a blu-ray drive. Just doesn't seem the Nintendo way.
I disagree. Nintendo made the switch to DVD tech the same generation Sony and MS did. I'm almost sure they'll use a 405nm drive, but it most likely won't be Blu-ray. It'll probably be NOD (Nintendo Optical Disk) with a capacity of 25GB per layer.

Truth101 said:
Just because Nintendo shows off games doesn't mean they will be realising them all in the same year.
Well, mostly it does. Nintendo ain't Sony, they don't announce a game to release it 5 years later.

Yeah, usually the most we have to wait is 3 years, and that's for the absolute biggest games.
Most of what we see at E3 from Nintendo will be out in 2012/2013.

Top Bottom