• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

mclem

AceBandage said:
It was very much implied to be fore classic fans of Nintendo.
"There will be things in it that will make you say 'Oh shit!', as a Nintendo fan."

Virtual Handheld works on the 3DS *and* the Cafe controller?

Jackano

mclem said:
Virtual Handheld works on the 3DS *and* the Cafe controller?

That's an obvious feature I'm hyped for. Not virtual handheld, but virtual console at least.
Just take your controller and play your VC games everywhere in the house, it's not 100% portability Ok, but I think it's great.

Krowley

artwalknoon said:
No, meaning Nintendo is shifting to a user account system, I can dream right?!

I think it would be a huge mistake not to switch to a user account system.

I had to sell my wii for quick cash during the economic slowdown, and lost every damn game in my virtual collection. I was able to get slightly compensated for the games by charging more for the wii, but not enough to make up for what I lost. I had a considerably large number of games.

If they don't switch to a user account system, I won't be buying any online offerings from them. I just don't like the idea of my games being tied to the hardware.

Think about all the people who have wii's and bought a lot of VC software on it. If the next system has the VC as well, they would probably want to play those games there, and if nintendo keeps them from doing that, it's going to be seen as a rip-off. Eventually, their wiis are gonna die, and they'll lose all the software they spent money on.

Krowley said:
Think about all the people who have wii's and bought a lot of VC software on it. If the next system has the VC as well, they would probably want to play those games there, and if nintendo keeps them from doing that, it's going to be seen as a rip-off. Eventually, their wiis are gonna die, and they'll lose all the software they spent money on.

Problem is, they may just go for the DSi-3DS transfer again which - while allowing forwards movement of VC (and perhaps even WiiWare) titles - wouldn't be a complete solution.

I still don't know why they haven't integrated the Club Nintendo account, as I can track all of the VC/WiiWare/DSiWare titles I've purchased on there and it shouldn't be that hard to use that data to verify my ownership and let me redownload them on a new system.

mclem

Cosmonaut X said:
Problem is, they may just go for the DSi-3DS transfer again which - while allowing forwards movement of VC (and perhaps even WiiWare) titles - wouldn't be a complete solution.

If they do this method, I'm curious if there's anything I'll have to be wary of when doing so from my modded Wii. I would *guess* that they wouldn't want that method due to the theoretical ease of getting pirated stuff included into the transfer - Hypothetically, if I were to steal a random Wiiware game, how would the transferrer tell that it wasn't a legitimate purchase? And when it arrived on the Cafe, it would appear to be completely indistinguishable from a legitimate purchase.

If they do the transfer system, I think those of us with modded wiis who use them legitimately may have to be careful when actually doing the transfer, because I'm pretty sure they'll have defenses in place to prevent such things, and those defenses may be overzealous and throw a wobbly at *any* sign of modification.

I still don't know why they haven't integrated the Club Nintendo account, as I can track all of the VC/WiiWare/DSiWare titles I've purchased on there and it shouldn't be that hard to use that data to verify my ownership and let me redownload them on a new system.

My original Wii got stolen; Nintendo UK told me that they weren't able to let me redownload the games on a new system unless I could supply the serial number (which, of course, is *only* printed on the system).

I confess that I'm still sceptical about that claim, but I moved on from it; I didn't have all that much anyway. However, it would be interesting if they *did* move on to integrating the Club Nintendo account, because at that point in principle I ought to be able to download both the titles from the new Wii and those from the old one.

My suspicion is that they'll ask for the Wii's serial number and do some voodoo behind the scenes to unlock those games for your Cafe.

mclem said:
If they do this method, I'm curious if there's anything I'll have to be wary of when doing so from my modded Wii. I would *guess* that they wouldn't want that method due to the theoretical ease of getting pirated stuff included into the transfer - Hypothetically, if I were to steal a random Wiiware game, how would the transferrer tell that it wasn't a legitimate purchase? And when it arrived on the Cafe, it would appear to be completely indistinguishable from a legitimate purchase.

If they do the transfer system, I think those of us with modded wiis who use them legitimately may have to be careful when actually doing the transfer, because I'm pretty sure they'll have defenses in place to prevent such things, and those defenses may be overzealous and throw a wobbly at *any* sign of modification.

The speculation I've seen is - IIRC - that the 3DS transfer is going to work by asking you to download an app to your DSi which will catalogue your DSiWare and generate some kind of one-time code which you can then use to "redeem" your games on your 3DS.

As for the piracy aspect, I'm not sure how Nintendo would deal with that, except to accept that a proportion of transferred software might be illegitimately-acquired WiiWare WADs and transfer everything that signs off as a genuine piece of software.
[/QUOTE]

Log4Girlz said:
Ya know what....fuck it I expect Nintendo games to look no better than 360 games, regardless of how much more powerful it turns out to be.

NOOOOO!!! GAF isn't GAF without hype and meltdowns!

HYPE!!! HYPE!!! HYPE!!!

tempa-t-next-hype-o.gif

StevieP

Banned
DragonKnight said:
Care to wager something?

Edit: I take it you mean beat last year's conference in terms of shit people actually care about and not in suckage

You're not even being transparent anymore

swerve

Cosmonaut X said:
The speculation I've seen is - IIRC - that the 3DS transfer is going to work by asking you to download an app to your DSi which will catalogue your DSiWare and generate some kind of one-time code which you can then use to "redeem" your games on your 3DS.

They have a record of all purchased software attached to a unique system ID. All the DSi App needs to do is to give you a code (or even let you use DS Download Play) to transfer a record of that unique ID to your new system and then have all the software you have paid for added to your 'purchased items' list, and available for re-download.

No issue with piracy.

TunaLover

Ubisoft said:
“What you always get with Nintendo is innovation, with consumers at the heart of the technologies they create, which will always result in huge success and I’m more than confident that Wii 2 will live up to this. Never underestimate Nintendo and their capacity to look at gaming in new and innovative ways, I expect to be wowed.” - Ubisoft UK Managing Director Rob Cooper"

So probably, thrid parties just have a frame to work on Café, but doesn't have final hardware specs, console features, and controller...

.la1n

TunaLover said:
So probably, thrid parties just have a frame to work on Café, but doesn't have final hardware specs, console features, and controller...

that's how nintendo rolls yo, third party to the back of the bus!

Hiltz

Ubisoft's most likely going to be the first to offer an exclusive Cafe title out of the third-parties. It just better not be rushed out title or a watered down port.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hiltz said:
Ubisoft's most likely going to be the first to offer an exclusive Cafe title out of the third-parties. It just better not be rushed out title or a watered down port.

Red Steel HD. 2 more maps in Multiplayer.

NeonZ

TunaLover said:

Or maybe Third Parties have signed NDAs and can't really reveal information before Nintendo? I'll be surprised if the playable Cafe titles at E3 are all from Nintendo itself...

NeonZ said:
Or maybe Third Parties have signed NDAs and can't really reveal information before Nintendo itself? I'll be surprised if the playable Cafe titles at E3 are all from Nintendo itself...

he's just being negative to keep from over hyping himself :p

Interfectum

not sure if this has been asked or answered but, based on the rumored specs, could Cafe theoretically run the PC version of Battlefield 3 (high/max)?

StevieP

Banned
Interfectum said:
not sure if this has been asked or answered but, based on the rumored specs, could Cafe theoretically run the PC version of Battlefield 3 (high/max)?

It will look a lot better than the other 2 consoles, with those specs... but "max" settings? Not a chance. "High" settings? Maybe.

Lupin the Wolf said:
LOL! What am I looking at, exactly?

A taste of Nintendo fans during and after the conference. But seriously I have no idea. I did a search for hype and found that and said, "perfect". Haha.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Commercial?

They are releasing Skyward Sword the day after their press conference CONFIRMED!!

Big One

Banned
Yeah I'm guessing it's going to be a live-action commercial like the Metroid: Other M commercial. Probably Zelda if the name follows suit.

Top Bottom