• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Ranks 20 Best Anime Characters Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
gdt5016 said:
Yeah, I reposted with thoughts on Goku.

But man, I looooooove Ussopp!

"I'm think getting that 'can't go into haunted castle' disease!"

I changed my avatar because FNL is coming back around. Had to change the Lost avatar :D . I'll change it again soon, into a newer FNL one.

Edit: Heh, I didn't know people recognized me by my tag. My master plan is working!
Screw your edit. I was going to quote you before your edit, but now I can't. It was a lie! You fell for it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

But seriously, thanks for explaining.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
gdt5016 said:
Actually, now that I think about it, if I wanna give props to Luffy, no way he ranks higher than Goku.

Though, as a character, Goku isn't number 1.
Luffy is just another variation of Goku, same with Naruto. Regardless if you admit it or not. A Goku-type is pretty much the standard for Shonen main characters. :lol

gdt

shintoki said:
Luffy is just another variation of Goku, same with Naruto. Regardless if you admit it or not. A Goku-type is pretty much the standard for Shonen main characters. :lol

Yeah, that was my point. I wouldn't say Naruto is another Goku though. Besides the eating thing.

Why are people saying it's a terrible list? Aside from a few (like 5 or so) bad picks and some misordering, it has good characters on it

Calcaneus

Anasui Kishibe said:
:lol :lol :lol

sorry but :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

IGN really needs to pull "best" out of their titles and change it with "According to our really ignorant, completely US-centric, popularity-driven taste", it's simply fucking ridiculus
Yeah, basically. Best according to them. Which is supposed to be assumed before going into the list. This should have become especially apparent when they didn't come to you and ask for your picks.

This shit is so broken.

each character's lasting fame, the impact they had on the medium and their particular genre at the time, the depth and quality of their realization on screen

Oh, so it's not even a character ranking, it's a pop contest.

Here's what happens to the list when you take out the vacuous, one-dimensional characters:

Spike Spiegel
Motoko Kusanagi
Shinji Ikari

Great job, assholes.

JayDubya

Banned
God's Beard said:
Here's what happens to the list when you take out the vacuous, one-dimensional characters:

Spike Spiegel
Motoko Kusanagi
Shinji Ikari

Great job, assholes.

That's not a bad start for a list, actually...

george_us

Calcaneus said:
I wouldn't argue too much with the top 5 personally. I couldn't deny how iconic Goku is for me , even if I tried. Though I know most people wouldn't be inboard with that.
Agreed. I don't know if I'd put Goku at number one but top 5 or 10 is easily justified. As little depth and character development as Goku had, I'll be damned if he isn't one of my favorite characters in any medium and it's arguably because of his lack of depth. He's always the happy-go-lucky little boy through out the series and you can't help but always root for him. Despite how terrible Dragon Ball GT actually was, I'm not afraid to admit that I shed a tear when it ended.

jman2050

Goku is likely one of the most iconic anime heroes of all time. Him being #1 is one of the few things this list does right, at least given the criteria.

The problem is that this list is extremely slanted towards more recent works, which seems to be a common problem with lists of this type (beyond the obvious fact that lists like this suck on principle anyway)

-Eddman-

Yeah, if you want complex characters, list needs more Kenshin stuff. Makoto fuckin' Shishio for example, my favorite anime villain ever.

List is pretty much main characters from popular anime, with a few random toss-ins from shows they thought were awesome. I lol'd at Pikachu.

It's also obviously a list created to generate RAGE from anime fans, in hopes that they'll argue about it and give them more site hits.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rewrite said:
OR Shishio.
Nor Soujiro!

Honestly, if you want best characters. I can't think of many from Shonens which I would even recommend. :lol

I don't understand why people are having such a problem with the list as it is, It is obviously most popular for the US. Is it that hard too understand? :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, IGN bringing their shitty ranking to anime. The lack of Berserk characters makes me say "Fuck this list!" But then I realize I posting about an IGN ranking of anime characters and hug my Tifa Lockhart pillow even tighter.

george_us

charsace said:
D should be higher. Chars and Amuro not even on the list. One of the most epic rivalries in the history of modern entertainment and neither is on the list. No one from Legend of the Galactic Heroes either.
That's because bare anyone even knows who Char Aznable or Amuro Ray are outside of Japan. I'd guarantee you even the most passive anime fan, and shit a lot of people who don't watch anime at all, know who Goku is and what Dragon Ball is. Can't say the same for anything else on there except probably Speed Racer.

Calcaneus said:
Yeah, basically. Best according to them. Which is supposed to be assumed before going into the list. This should have become especially apparent when they didn't come to you and ask for your picks.

so it's not my right to post against it. Nice one, you almost got me

Look, if you're trying to find a battle shonen with a bunch of swords, secret techniques and a puerile story that actively insults your intelligence with a derivative formula designed to cater to your prepubescent power fantasy and japan fetish, then yeah. You might find Kenshin fun. But don't tell me it has deep characters, that's an offense to the both of us.

agrajag

Banned
sesshomaru.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No, actually, if anyone besides Spike needs to be at #1, Goku is the obvious choice.

Maybe there are more complex characters with deeper backstory, but Goku is the icon. I agree with the person who compared him to Superman.

I'd put Lupin the III at third based entirely on Castle of Cagliostro. Dude was FUCKING BADASS

Narcosis

God's Beard said:

Spike Spiegel
Motoko Kusanagi
Shinji Ikari

Great job, assholes.

So you expect us to all appreciate characters who aren't ecchi, kawaii or who beat an impossible foe through the power of friendship that leads to a new power level?

Goddamit!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
God's Beard said:
Look, if you're trying to find a battle shonen with a bunch of swords, secret techniques and a puerile story that actively insults your intelligence with a derivative formula designed to cater to your prepubescent power fantasy and japan fetish, then yeah. You might find Kenshin fun. But don't tell me it has deep characters, that's an offense to the both of us.
Dude, I will argue to your death on the reasons why Apa should be number 1. All starting with the letter A.

28599.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'd hate to turn this into a Cowboy Bebop circle jerk, but Spike was robbed...

But I totally understand their pic. When a lot of people think of anime, they think of Goku. Our grandkids will be watching Dragon Ball ZHX- Hyper or some such. The show has serious staying power.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DrForester said:
Way too Shounen Jump happy for me. They list every major Shounen Jump hero, but only 1 magical girl.
Not only that but every explanation they give can be summed up as "this character is badass because they punch people". Hell, when they get to Edward Elric they count his humanization and, you know, non-"lets punch people" aspects as a negative to the character.

Narcosis said:
So you expect us to all appreciate characters who aren't ecchi, kawaii, pandering reflections of the target audience or who turn a hardened foe/psychopath/mass murderer into a dear friend through the power of hard work that leads to a new chanted superpower?

fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom