• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Ranks 20 Best Anime Characters Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Vegeta is actually a much better character than Goku. The guy goes trough struggles, we understand how he came to be, his path is well defined and theres plot twists along the way.

Honestly, if youre defending Goku because he can beat anybody up, youre confusing "cool" character with "good" character.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Raging Spaniard said:
Honestly, if youre defending Goku because he can beat anybody up, youre confusing "cool" character with "good" character.
What's funny is that Goku spends much of the original series losing, and hell, he couldn't even beat Vegeta by himself.

Dresden

Raging Spaniard said:
Vegeta is actually a much better character than Goku. The guy goes trough struggles, we understand how he came to be, his path is well defined and theres plot twists along the way.

Goku is Shonen Jump, dude. Dragon Ball pretty much defined the genre at the time. Goku as a character was enormously influential, and popular as well. It's not about his power level.

DanteFox

Hitokage said:
What's funny is that Goku spends much of the original series losing, and hell, he couldn't even beat Vegeta by himself.
if you're talking about late DBZ then yeah he could beat vegeta.

rpmurphy

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :lol

What a complete joke of a list. There are far more iconic characters than most of the clowns they managed to scrape up. Doraemon, Anpanman, Sally, Shin-chan, Maruko-chan, Sazae-san, Sakuragi, Kaibara, etc. etc.

Oh, and notice pretty much all of the characters on the list are from the same goddamn genre or like-genres. :lol

DanteFox

rpmurphy said:

What a complete joke of a list. There are far more iconic characters than most of the clowns they managed to scrape up. Doraemon, Anpanman, Sally, Shin-chan, Maruko-chan, Sazae-san, Sakuragi, Kaibara, etc. etc.

Oh, and notice pretty much all of the characters on the list are from the same goddamn genre or like-genres. :lol
Out of all those characters you listed I've only ever heard of Shin-chan. :/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No Ranma 1/2? No Urusei Yatsura? No Fist Of The North Star? No Riding Bean? No Macross? No Maison Ikkoku? No Project A-Ko? No Akira? No Dirty Pair? You know, the characters from series from back when anime and manga were GOOD? :p

And that's just some 80's series. You know this kind of list will always be shit, but how they ignored so much stuff is just insane.

rpmurphy said:

Let's be fair. Nobody knows who most of those characters even are in the States.

rpmurphy

DanteFox said:
Out of all those characters you listed I've only ever heard of Shin-chan. :/
None of the ones I listed except Shin-chan have had US releases. Nevertheless, they are all some of the most iconic characters in their respective genres, and a few of them of all time.

jts

...hate me...
Yeap, I don't know much about anime but there's no way there are 20 characters better than Doraemon.

Goku being #1 makes up for it though <3

I still watch both of these animes on a nearly daily basis :D

Dresden said:
Goku is Shonen Jump, dude. Dragon Ball pretty much defined the genre at the time. Goku as a character was enormously influential, and popular as well. It's not about his power level.

I dunno. People have made a pretty big deal over the years about his power level.

33omgwl.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kenshin! :bow :bow

Spike's a good choice too that deserves to be high up.

Don't give a shit about the rest, and Naruto is WAAAAAAAAAY too high.

Holy fucking shit they put Ichigo on there? Ahead of Luffy, no less?

I didn't want to come into this thread knowing that it'd probably give me a headache but holy shit.

IGN sucks at making lists confirmed.

hiro4

hmm.. I expected much worse to be honest :lol
Still I miss a lot of characters and would drop a lot of other characters, looking at you Naruto and Ichigo.

Lyte Edge said:
No Ranma 1/2? No Urusei Yatsura? No Fist Of The North Star? No Riding Bean? No Macross? No Maison Ikkoku? No Project A-Ko? No Akira? No Dirty Pair? You know, the characters from series from back when anime and manga were GOOD? :p

And that's just some 80's series. You know this kind of list will always be shit, but how they ignored so much stuff is just insane.

Let's be fair. Nobody knows who most of those characters even are in the States.

I miss when anime used to be good. *tear*

CiSTM

Banned
Eh, well to be honest this is one of those lists that can't satisfy everyone... No characters from Galaxy Express 999 :mad: This is an outrage !

ZoddGutts

lol at Naruto and Ichigo ahead of Luffy. Yeah Luffy is somewhat of a copy of Goku but Luffy has done so many epic stuff that he deserves better recognition than Naruto and Ichigo. Also Ichigo is a poor man version of Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho.

Belfast

Flying_Phoenix said:
RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that the only thing that they can come up with for Luffy is that he punches hard, instead of highlighting the other ways in which his simplicity is so appealing.

And Ichigo, really? REALLY? I'm not sure I've ever found anything particularly redeeming about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom