• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

I personally believe Chrono Trigger is the most overrated game of all time in any genre but other people must see something in it I don't

Same here. Well, overrated is a funny term to me...but yea I just don't get it. Cheers to those that worship it like I do FF VI, KOTOR, and ME2.

Wazzy

Banned
I personally believe Chrono Trigger is the most overrated game of all time in any genre but other people must see something in it I don't
I do think it's an amazing game but I'll never agree it deserves number one in all of these ranking lists. I mean it doesn't offend me it ranks that high, I just think there's plenty of games that have better music/story/gameplay/characters such as Final Fantasy Tactics.

The real crime is FF VIII and X not making the list but Legend Of Dragoon ranked.

Fatmanp

I'm sorry but how the f**** is Pokemon Gold/Silver not in there but Sun/Moon is? Gold and Silver were by far the best Pokemon games ever made. I understand Red/Blue/Yellow being above them on the list because they were the originals but seriously? Sun and Moon is included and not G/S. Smh.

kromeo

IGN or at least someone at IGN is pretty big on FFXII, and X was quite low down on their last ranking of the series, that shouldn't be a surprise

MANUELF

Banned
They changed the list quite a bit since last time, Persona 4 is like 80 places higher for example and Pokemon Yellow replaced Red/Blue

Qwark

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of Freedom Force. If I have, I've always gotten it confused with Freedom Fighters, because I did not recognize anything about that game.

Whoa now. I can't have you disrespecting my boy Dart like that. Also IX is trash. I'll never hear otherwise.
No way dude, IX is best.

Wazzy

Banned
The list is not kind towards PS1 FFs, in general.

Literally every main Final Fantasy is better than Legend of Dragoon.

It's even worse for the fact LoD ranked 75. Over games like Torchlight, Everquest, Front Mission 3, DQ VII, KHII and Valkyria Chronicles? I enjoyed LoD as a mediocre RPG but if it's going to place in any rank list it needs to be at the end of recommended lists.

Rad-

Wow the top 20 isn't actually that bad. Like it's not in the order that I would put it but it's okay. Suikoden 2 there like deserved and BG2 in top 3. Much better than Game Informer's list.

aravuus

CT and FF VI will forever remain painfully boring in my opinion, but I'm fine with them being on the top. Other than that, considering the other weird shit going on in the list, top 20 is surprisingly okay.

Fallout 3 and especially 4 not even making the list warms my heart :')

Shame about no FF VIII though.

I'd have probably gone with something like this for my top ten:

1)Breath of Fire 3
2)Chrono Trigger
3)Shining Force 3 s1/2/3
4)Panzer Dragoon Saga
5)Dragon Quest V (PS2)
6)Grandia
7)Terranigma
8)Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
9)Super Mario RPG
10)Vandal Hearts

Bearing in mind that I rarely (barely) play wrpgs.

kromeo

Same here. Well, overrated is a funny term to me...but yea I just don't get it. Cheers to those that worship it like I do FF VI, KOTOR, and ME2.

Overrated is the wrong word but I'm not sure what the appropriate one is. The thing that gets me about it is that I should like it, I can look at Skyrim or The Last of Us and claim they're not that great but everything about the design of those games is not aimed at me, Everything about Chrono trigger should be right up my street but it just doesn't do it for me.

The whole moon base part of the game in particular I find extremely boring

Pokemon G/S/C > Pokemon R/B/Y
Neverwinter Nights 2 > Neverwinter Nights
That aside, no real qualms. And yeah Diablo 2 was higher than I thought, and New Vegas lower than I would have.

Wanderer5

The real crime is FF VIII and X not making the list but Legend Of Dragoon ranked.

Heh, I didn't feel it when it came to Legend of Dragoon. Like it had some cool ideas, but overall it felt kind of forgettable, like it didn't keep me hooked in the end.

Hux1ey

Banned
I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger but I think you had to play it back in the day to truly get it, it wouldn't even be in my top 20 RPGs.

aravuus

IX's battle system is like watching paint dry, but it's still a classic.

That's why you either emulate or play the PC/mobile version!

I don't think I could play through it at regular PS1 speed ever again, and it's one of my favorite games ever.

Overrated is the wrong word but I'm not sure what the appropriate one is. The thing that gets me about it is that I should like it, I can look at Skyrim or The Last of Us and claim they're not that great but everything about the design of those games is not aimed at me, Everything about Chrono trigger should be right up my street but it just doesn't do it for me.

The whole moon base part of the game in particular I find extremely boring

Yeah, it's weird. I'm a massive JRPG fan, and mechanically Chrono Trigger does everything very well, so I should like it. I should love it, even. But nah, I just don't give a fuck about that game.

antitrop

I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger but I think you had to play it back in the day to truly get it, it wouldn't even be in my top 20 RPGs.

When the DS version was released in 2008, I remember a lot of people playing it for the first time that way and saying it immediately became one of their favorite games.

Fou-Lu

I really wish they at least tried to get some more obscure (or even just not the most popular) picks on lists like this so that reading them might actually give a fan of the genre something new to play.

Secret of Mana is way too high.

I mean I loved the game back in the day but I tried it again a while ago and it's not as good as I used to remember.

kswiston

I really wish they at least tried to get some more obscure (or even just not the most popular) picks on lists like this so that reading them might actually give a fan of the genre something new to play.

Hardcore fans aren't really IGN's userbase.

I wonder if a site like RPGFan has done a list like this for JRPGs. We get CRPG lists somewhat regularly from enthusiast sites.

kromeo

Secret of Mana is way too high.

I mean I loved the game back in the day but I tried it again a while ago and it's not as good as I used to remember.

It was really good at the time, but the people who keep insisting there's no such thing as games aging badly are talking nonsense

Hux1ey

Banned
When the DS version was released in 2008, I remember a lot of people playing it for the first time that way and saying it immediately became one of their favorite games.

I played it on the DS too, not even that long ago either. I thought what they did with what little they had was remarkable, the characters and environments were very memorable but it didn't get close to the experienced I had with Morrowind, Fallout 2 and New Vegas, stuff like that. I've never been a huge JRPG guy either.

Dierce

I completely agree with Chrono Trigger being the #1. It has been mine for a long time. Also glad to see Persona 4 Golden followed by Persona 3 and then Persona 5, definitely how I position them as well.

Rad-

I'd rank top 10 like:

10 - Dark Souls
9 - Fallout
8 - FFVI
7 - Kotor
6 - Mass Effect 2
5 - Morrowind
4 - Suikoden 2
3 - FFXII IZJS
2 - FFVII
1 - Baldur's Gate 2

Wazzy

Banned
The only thing I like about RPG lists is that if there's games I haven't played listed It makes me want to try them out. I saw that Baldur's Gate & II are available on mobile or steam and I always hear praise for them so I want to finally give them a shot. Do they play like Diablo? Also PC or mobile which feels better to play?
I completely agree with Chrono Trigger being the #1. It has been mine for a long time. Also glad to see Persona 4 Golden followed by Persona 3 and then Persona 5, definitely how I position them as well.

I think the issue is more that 4 is quite a few spots above 3 and 5 when it's really not that much better than both(I prefer 5 out of them all) games.

LoSnupo

I'm not saying Persona 5 must be 1st but...50?
Mass Effect 2 better than TES: Morrowind?
TES Skyrim better than Baldur's Gate?
Seriously? This list is a joke.

yunbuns

The most I'm willing to concede is Vivi is/was cool.

Honestly I didn't feel a thing when he died tbh.

Yeah I first played it on the DS and really enjoyed it. One of the reason I think I liked it was because it wasn't like FFVII where people beat you over the head with how great and amazing it is. I was able to go in with a fresh slate since I didn't know anything about major plot points unlike VII.

jtb

Banned
Mass Effect 2 is barely an RPG and it's also complete trash. If you're going to call ME2 an RPG, how can you possibly put it above Deus Ex, which is fucking perfect.

Whatever. At least BG2 and Torment are high.

Taruranto

The only thing I like about RPG lists is that if there's games I haven't played listed It makes me want to try them out. I saw that Baldur's Gate & II are available on mobile or steam and I always hear praise for them so I want to finally give them a shot. Do they play like Diablo? Also PC or mobile which feels better to play?

They are nothing like Diablo, if you played PoE or even Divinity Original Sin the gameplay/style of the game is similar to that.

I would play them on PC personally, though I did not try Mobile version.

antitrop

I think the issue is more that 4 is quite a few spots above 3 and 5 when it's really not that much better than both(I prefer 5 out of them all) games.
Diablo tries to be accessible and arcadey as much as possible, combat is mostly holding down left-click until loot pinatas pop. Baldur's Gate tries as hard as possible to replicate the pen-n-paper Dungeons and Dragons experience and is much more complex.

Diablo is much more action-oriented, Baldur's Gate is more hardcore roleplaying, they're going for different things.

Top Bottom