• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

NSESN

Also if Pokémon Red and Blue make the list at this point I don't know what to say. They certainly aren't better than Sun and Moon, or ANY other game in the series. Except maybe XY.
It should be HGSS, but they will go with RGB for nostalgia appeal.

Cromat

List is alright but putting FF7 out of the top 50 is a bit try-hard. It's genre defining, like it or not.

In my opinion these four belong in the top 5 (in no particular order);

The Witcher 3
World of Warcraft
Pokemon Red/Blue
Final Fantasy VII

And their stats have heavy implications on the way you play and what equipment you can use?

I mean, you're not wrong, but I just don't see the "RPGness" of a game like Bloodborne or the Souls titles. You could have players choose a couple weapons or a "class" at the start and remove stat building entirely and it wouldn't change the game much at all.

The core of these games is player skill, learning boss movement/attack patterns, and memorizing the environment. Those are, IMO, core elements of an action game, and far more important to what these games are than the fact that you can put points into attributes or upgrade weapons.

EBreda

List is alright but putting FF7 out of the top 50 is a bit try-hard. It's genre defining, like it or not.

In my opinion these four belong in the top 5 (in no particular order);

The Witcher 3
World of Warcraft
Pokemon Red/Blue
Final Fantasy VII

I can't see a way Chronno Trigger is not a Top 5 title.

Neoweee

So stats don't matter in P5? You could beat the game without worrying about any stat building? I think they matter a hell of a lot more than they do in BB.

Stats "matter", but not that much. Level >>>>>>>>> Stats.

I beat it on Hard. The game gets easier and easier as the game goes on, but I have absolutely no idea who on my team was the best/worst of each stats, and I essentially never looked at the stats on my Persona.

Jennipeg

Not that whoever reviewed it even still works there but they gave it a 9.5 at the time

It absolutely won't be on the list though

It doesn't really matter, but skipping FFX while including Dragon Age Inquisition hurts my feelings. I really really dislike that game, I don't think I even posted here back then, my hate is all my own.

How the hell did
Leliana
end up in charge? I disagreed with everything she ever said, I couldn't stand her. That ending was just the last nail in the coffin.

aravuus

If FF VIII hits top 20, I'm gonna have to start a new playthrough of it

e: immediately, that is. I feel like replaying it soon anyway.

Lothar

Banned
No it just wasn't. FF4 is an RPG with a story, those had come before. FF2 for example has a story that is just as intricate as FF4s, but even that was far from the first.

FF7 pioneered cinematic gaming full stop. It's a completely different level.

What's the best way to play FF2 if you want to see what it had to offer when it came out? NES with a fan translation? Are you saying if I play FF2, it'll be about the same as playing FF4? That's hard to believe, since it's not nearly as revered in Japan as FF4, the remakes have terrible Metacritic scores, and no one talks about it being a must play RPG. Of course if it did the same stuff but wasn't nearly as good, that would back up my point that FF4 was a massive leap.

FF X going to a top 20 RPG lol

Why is that lol? It should be top 5.

Wulfram

It doesn't really matter, but skipping FFX while including Dragon Age Inquisition hurts my feelings. I really really dislike that game, I don't think I even posted here back then, my hate is all my own.

How the hell did
Leliana
end up in charge? I disagreed with everything she ever said, I couldn't stand her. That ending was just the last nail in the coffin.

I guess you allied with the mages

Jennipeg

I guess you allied with the mages

It seemed like the right thing to do, but if i'd known the final outcome, i'd have changed my mind quick. I should have checked a guide.

That would be one very right thing about this list. VIII has no business being in the Top 20 all time list of RPGs.

I agree, I hoped, even placing at 100 would have made me happy. As soon as I saw VII at 52, I knew there was no chance.

LKSmash

I gave up on VIII days ago, its not going to happen.

Don't worry. We'll celebrate it's rightful place in the top 20 soon enough.

That would be one very right thing about this list. VIII has no business being in the Top 20 all time list of RPGs.

giphy.gif

Fou-Lu

It's weird to see the original Fallout on here. Good game? Sure, but I don't really feel like it should be anywhere on the list of top 100 RPGs. Fallout 2 and New Vegas I can both agree with though.

FinalAres

What's the best way to play FF2 if you want to see what it had to offer when it came out? NES with a fan translation? Are you saying if I play FF2, it'll be about the same as playing FF4? That's hard to believe, since it's not nearly as revered in Japan as FF4, the remakes have terrible Metacritic scores, and no one talks about it a must play RPG. Of course if it did the same stuff but wasn't nearly as good, that would back up my point that FF4 was a massive leap.

I'm not saying FF4 is a bad game though (it's a great game) I'm saying that it didn't have as much of an impact as FF7, by a long shot.

FF7 was revolutionary, it did things other games as a whole (not just RPGs) hadn't tried before, and it was a great game to boot. FF4 was evolutionary. It took what many other games did (including FF2 and 3) and improved upon it.

There's just no contest as to which of the two games were more influential. In short, there's a reason FF7 is the most popular FF game.

I feel like they are inconsistently weighing how fun/good the games are and their impact. Something like FF VII was massively impactful (it was also a lot of fun) compared to a lot of the games ahead of it, but it definitely had some flaws in the gameplay department.

FinalAres

... That list has no sense. I don't even know where to begin.
'
Edit:
FF6 and Earthbound arent even on the list. Who the fuck made this list? This was intentionally made to cause rage. I can not believe they made this list without dishonesty in mind.

I don't think we've had the top 20 yet

Lothar

Banned
I'm not saying FF4 is a bad game though (it's a great game) I'm saying that it didn't have as much of an impact as FF7, by a long shot.

Yes, I know, and I'm saying you're wrong.

There was no game remotely like FF4 before it came out as far as I'm aware. Just because some RPGs did some things first doesn't mean much if they didn't do them as close to as well. There were 3D platformers before Mario 64, but they weren't any good. That makes a big difference.

There's just no contest as to which of the two games were more influential. In short, there's a reason FF7 is the most popular FF game.

Yeah, that reason is because it was most people's first RPG and it showed commercials entirely of FMV.

ViolentP

Yes, I know, and I'm saying you're wrong.

There was no game remotely like FF4 before it came out as far as I'm aware. Just because some RPGs did some things first doesn't mean much if they didn't do them as close to as well. There were 3D platformers before Mario 64, but they weren't any good. That makes a big difference.

Yeah, that reason is because it was most people's first RPG and it showed commercials entirely of FMV.

Disagreeing that FF7 was better than FF4 I get. Preference and all. But regardless of reason, I think it's pretty evident that FF7 probably had the biggest impact of the franchise with consumers.

NandoGip

Alright, so these are the games I could remember that could possibly make it into the top 20. Add your suggestions if I missed any:

(In no particular order) Highly likely on making it:
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden 2
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon R/B/Y
KOTOR
WoW
Planescape Torment
Secret of Mana
BG 2
Persona 4
Diablo 2
Fallout 2
Witcher 3
Dark Souls

Total of 16 highly likely games. Obviously it's possible some don't make it.

Now, here are some possible for the spots left:
Legend of Heroes: Trails ?
Borderlands
Valkyrie Profile
KH1
Symphony of the Night
TES: Oblivion
Deus Ex
Tactics Ogre
FF5
FF8
FF10
FF13
Vagrant Story
Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3
Paper Mario 1000 Year Door

Thoughts?

edit: ooops overlooked some

Matski

Neo Member
Vagrant Story hasn't been listed yet? Really hope it's on there. Hoping Suikoden II and Tactics rank really high too.
Disagreeing that FF7 was better than FF4 I get. Preference and all. But regardless of reason, I think it's pretty evident that FF7 probably had the biggest impact of the franchise with consumers.

It's not really worth going with the 'which FF is most influenial' argument. The list represents what RPGs IGNs writers like the most and their recent FF list shows that they generally don't care for any of Kojima/Noruma's high-selling FF games like VII, VIII or X. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the staff who voted on this list felt VII shouldn't have been on there at all.
Oh I wouldn't even know. I don't follow their rubbish lists and I didn't click on the link this time either. Fuck top ### lists.

Don't blame you at all for feeling that way. I'm interested lists like this because I enjoy RPGs (especially Final Fantasy games) not because of the publishers. I really couldn't care less about IGN itself.

Sotha_Sil

Deus Ex is certainly going to be in the Top 10, but I wonder if Human Revolution will be making a surprise appearance as well, maybe in the high teens.

ViolentP

It's not really worth going with the 'which FF is most influenial' argument. The list represents what RPGs IGNs writers like the most and their recent FF list shows that they generally don't care for any of Kojima/Noruma's high-selling FF games like VII, VIII or X. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the staff who voted on this list felt VII shouldn't have been on there at all..

As long as we all agree that if Phantasy Star II isn't top 5, the list is garbage.

FF8 and FFX are both good games but I don't see them cracking the top 20.

FF8 has a lot of charm and style but it has its fair share of problems.

aravuus

Stop talking about FF VIII, I'm THIS close to starting a new playthrough since yall keep talking about it and I've got a bunch of games I've yet to finish, like Yakuza 0 and Persona 5!

Jennipeg

Stop talking about FF VIII, I'm THIS close to starting a new playthrough since yall keep talking about it and I've got a bunch of games I've yet to finish, like Yakuza 0 and Persona 5!

Do what i'm doing, wait for trophy support. I haven't started a new play through for 2 years because of this. Surely this year has to be it, same with IX.

Top Bottom