• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

I certainly don't agree with every choice but not a bad list so far, to be honest. Glad to see that DQ5, Persona 3 and FFXII are ranked relatively high.

My bet is on either FF6 or Chrono Trigger at #1. And I hope they'll go with FF6.

aravuus

Whenever I hear this I get the strong urge for a replay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0T6Xh5VXY

The Kilika/Macalania woods music in X also has a similar effect

Most songs in VII, VIII and IX have this effect on me, mainly because the soundtracks are just so fucking good. The one you posted is one of the better songs in VIII, though, for sure.

Hell, maybe I should replay all of the PS1 FFs in anticipation of XII. A proper Final Fantasy summer.

marmoka

Banned
Nothing about Nocturne, SMT IV or SMT IV Apocalypse yet? I'm starting to get scared of not seeing them in the final list.

Deku Tree

No way should Dark Souls 2 or 3 be higher than Bloodborne. I wonder if they made the list. Wonder if DKS1 made the list in the top 20 too.

FinalAres

Yes, I know, and I'm saying you're wrong.

There was no game remotely like FF4 before it came out as far as I'm aware. Just because some RPGs did some things first doesn't mean much if they didn't do them as close to as well. There were 3D platformers before Mario 64, but they weren't any good. That makes a big difference.

Yeah, that reason is because it was most people's first RPG and it showed commercials entirely of FMV.

I'd be much more accepting or your logic if it didn't boil down to "ff4 was revolutionary!", why? "I liked it!".

What did it do that changed gaming? Story? Nope FF2 may be a bad game but it's story is just as detailed as FF4 Music? Nope. So many other games including Ff games had a reputation for their music. What else? How good it is? Ridiculous, subjective nonsensical argument.

Of course. Hipsters. Damn hipsters with their terrible taste.

This argument from FF7 enthusiasts is starting to get pretty hilarious...like people JUST started saying FF6 and IV are some of the greatest RPG's of all time. I would agree though FF7 is way too low, though. I'd personally have it somewhere in the teens probably. There is definitely something jarring about the first game ahead of FF7 being Stardew Valley LOL (with all due respect to SV) Man do the people over at IGN think FF7 is overrated, my goodness.

And also of course the Bioware salt has certainly delivered in this thread. They should have their share of games in top 20, so that's not over yet either. I'd like to see KOTOR and ME2 as high as possible. BG2 will likely be higher than both of them, though.

JD_Lars

I can't be the only one that thought FFXII was terrible. That game was broken and unfun to play.

You'll never convince me it's a better game than IX.

I can't be the only one that thought FFXII was terrible. That game was broken and unfun to play.

You'll never convince me it's a better game than IX.

Yea I stopped playing XII fairly quickly as I thought it was the worst combat I had ever experienced in an FF game. The story hadn't done anything to grip me so fun factor was at a 0 at that point. I had been hoping it was a return to glory because I disliked X so much, huge disappointment. I haven't tried playing the new entries since...although the more recent MMO does look well done.

IX is somewhere in my top 10 games.

Lothar

Banned
I'd be much more accepting or your logic if it didn't boil down to "ff4 was revolutionary!", why? "I liked it!".

What did it do that changed gaming? Story? Nope FF2 may be a bad game but it's story is just as detailed as FF4 Music? Nope. So many other games including Ff games had a reputation for their music. What else? How good it is? Ridiculous, subjective nonsensical argument.

What kind of argument is this game did something first but let's ignore that the game sucked? Jumping Flash did 3D platforming first. Does that mean there was nothing special about Mario 64? FF4 set a new standard for RPGs that everyone else followed. Even FF7's gameplay just took FF4's innovative ATB system and mixed it with FF6's materia and limits. FF4 built the house, FF7 just made modifications to it.

Torokil

It's not a bad list, certainly better than that other one that had Skyrim as number one because holy fuck. I would replace Pokemon yellow with HGSS, but Gen 1 nostalgia is too strong.

Chrono Trigger never clicked with me unfortunately, so can't agree with that #1 but that's cool for all the CF fans...nice to see FF VI right behind it, but who really expected a different top 2?

Also glad to see Secret of Mana getting that kind of love. Incredible game.

KOTOR a bit low on the list for my tastes.

Jennipeg

IX made it but not VIII. This is the darkest timeline.

Also Bioware with 3 in the top 15. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Yep, it hurts me too.

Its a really good top 20, Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Suikoden II i'm happy with all of those. I'd personally ditch Mass Effect 2, I can see its quality, but it left me completely cold. Thats probably true for most Bioware RPG's now that I think about it.

Apenheul

It's a pretty good list IMO, I tried to make my own list some time ago and I had Dark Souls in the top 10, BG2 of course, Chrono Trigger and Planescape Torment. however, I'm surprised Secret of Mana is in there because I recently played through it and it has aged horribly.

Man...that's a lot of classics that Bloodborne is sitting in front of. Not sure I how I feel about it or Mass Effect being up that high. Especially given all of the flaws that I remember in the original ME experience. Redundant locations and the laughable planetside driving in the rover thing instantly disqualify it from being top 50 for me.

Syf

Banned
Only real complaint about the top 10 is other Pokemon games were much better than Yellow. Gen 1 is hard to go back to.

Wazzy

Banned
Pokemon Yellow over Gold and Silver? Hahahaha

If IV ranking higher than any other Final Fantasy wasn't bad enough this is up there with it. No X or VIII but Legend of Dragoon making the cut has made this truly an awful list. Only decent ranking would be Tactics and Tactics Ogre ranking high because they're fantastic games. Persona 4 not even in top 10 and yet its ranks higher than 3 and 5 which it should never be that far apart.

raven777

C_FOdp8UAAAOj0w.jpg:large
Matsuno...

Well, no Shining Force 3s1/2/3, no Panzer Dragoon Saga, no Grandia, no Terranigma. No Story of Thor or Alundra either, but I guess you could argue they're on the ARPG boundry.

Not a list I'd pay a great deal of attention to personally.

Wanderer5

Heh Pokemon Yellow being up there is quite interesting.

Also wow at Vagrant Story making it in the top 10.:) What a intriguing game that was. Maybe someday I'll give it another round.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm totally fine with the top 3.

kromeo

I personally believe Chrono Trigger is the most overrated game of all time in any genre but other people must see something in it I don't

Top Bottom