• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I mean, that kind of attitude is what led to a game like LoD beating out many others that are far superior to it.

No it isn't. It's IGN's RPG fans being big fans of Legend of Dragoon that led to its placement, beating out many games you prefer more (oops I meant 'superior' games).

PK Gaming

The current crew at IGN really unapologetically adores FF XII's battle system and world. We know it isn't a widely held opinion. We also all nearly universally think FF VII is overrated.

It's nice to see some refreshing, no-nonsense honesty. I mean I disagree a lot (a lot, a lot) with the overall list, but it's clear the main goal was sharing your passion for RPGs and putting that passion into a tangible form. Like, I can immediately tell you guys had a lot of fun with it, in spite of the arguing.

But ya'll need to play more Shin Megumi games. And the Trails series.

ZenTzen

The current crew at IGN really unapologetically adores FF XII's battle system and world. We know it isn't a widely held opinion. We also all nearly universally think FF VII is overrated.
Thats fine i dont understand the reverence and adoration both off those games have, XII has always been on the mediocre camp to me, or more in the its good but not really that special, and while the battle system in XII is pretty good the rest around that game is rather forgetable, and while i consider VI an awesome FF, i dont consider it top 1 or 2 greatest of all time and have other FFs and RPGs in higher regard

still seems to me like a pretty hipster choice since it became fine to hate on VII because of its popularity, or more of a lets not pick the obvious choice thats already been on thousands of others top rpgs lists just because

Wazzy

Banned
No it isn't. It's IGN's RPG fans being big fans of Legend of Dragoon that led to its placement, beating out many games you prefer more (oops I meant 'superior' games).
Oh it's not preference. They ARE better games but you wouldn't know since you've never played LoD.

Either way, you aren't going to answer with anything other than It's someone's favourite so there's not much to discuss here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh it's not preference. They ARE better games but you wouldn't know since you've never played LoD.

Either way, you aren't going to answer with anything other than It's someone's favourite so there's not much to discuss here.

I mean what more is there to discuss?

You like a game more than some other dudes.

Rivetting.

Wazzy

Banned
I mean what more is there to discuss?

You like a game more than some other dudes.

Rivetting.
It has nothing to do with what I like or don't. I asked why a game like LoD ranked so high and my response was basically because some people on the crew liked it enough to get on and I thought there would be more to how these games were decided to get listed.

I mean we're talking about a gaming sites rankings, not someone's post.

I have disagreements but overall it's a very fair list. And considering xcom wasn't on it I won't have to make fun of it for the rest of the year.

Edit: If ys counts then nier should count too. Nier automata is pretty recent but if pokemon sun and moon can make the list I don't see the reason why not. Although personally I know I'm cheating, i've considered nier an action game series but...... Emil tho.

Burt

That top 10/20 is legit.

Am I allowed to say that?

I feel like these sorts of threads are always about tearing these lists down.

Goddamn I wouldn't expect IGN to nail it like that.

I mean, Dark Souls could be higher, but I really can't argue with any of that list from 20 up.

Seiken Densetsu 3 could take Secret of Mana's spot, but the omission is understandable.

Bring that shit over, SE.

List is actually pretty decent, specifically the top 20.

Final Fantasy IV is way too high and Final Fantasy 7 is too low though. They should at the very least trade spots.

Antiwhippy

It has nothing to do with what I like or don't. I asked why a game like LoD ranked so high and my response was basically because some people on the crew liked it enough to get on and I thought there would be more to how these games were decided to get listed.

I mean we're talking about a gaming sites rankings, not someone's post.

Having listened to podcasts where such lists are made let me just say that there really isn't that much more to it.

Wazzy

Banned
Having listened to podcasts where such lists are made let me just say that there really isn't that much more to it.
Thats fair. I'm not trying to be as aggressive as I'm coming off but the previous rank list from IGN and GD's comments about people's complaints don't really match with how he's responding in defense of a game like LoD but I suppose he hasn't played it so eh.

Lupo

Neo Member
Great list imo. I would have Xenoblade Chronicles in the top 15, Dark Souls a little higher, and I never played Vagrant Story, but I like the list a lot. I also am more of a FF6 type of person, though I can readily admit, Chrono Trigger is probably the better overall game.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 am cry.

It's common knowledge that these two aren't as good as other Souls games. But I never imagine that they're this bad.

Myriadis

Final fantasy VII and X getting their rightful places, good to see. Also nice that Chrono Trigger > FFVI, but I'm not a big fan of VI anyway.
Best thing is the best FF, XII getting a decent rank.

Agreed!

giphy.gif

Still my favorite game of all time. Great choice, hard to find people who would get mad about it.

Bl@de

Gothic 2 not in a Top 100? Yeah... not my kind of list.

EDIT: Oh yeah ... and the most innovative sandbox RPG is also not on the list. Mount & Blade: Warband should be in every Top 100.

rataven

Just one of those things.

Maybe it's because I'm well into adulthood at this point and my personal friends don't talk about games this way or feel the need to try and discredit them with meaningless labels, but whenever I see someone use the word 'overrated' to describe a game, especially for an enormously popular and beloved game like VII, everything else that comes after gets tuned out. Kind of embarrassing for the gaming press, to be honest.

Antiwhippy

I'm actually curious about why people keep asking for smtiv.

I like it a lot but don't consider it the best smt.

Truant

I've always wondered what people see in JRPG stories. They all seem so similar, and the writing so surface-level and melodramatic. I've only played a few FF games (7,9,10), but everything just seems so bland and generic to me.

Is is the translation that makes them like this? I'm not trying to talk down on these games, as a lot of people clearly love them. I just really want to know what makes them special in terms of story and writing. Anything I should play to see the light?

Nere

Why pokemon yellow though? It should be either blue and red, that started everything or heart gold/soul silver/gold/silver which are the best games in the series. Yellow makes 0 sense.

I just noticed that Terranigma is not even on this list, therefor it is disqualified. Seiken Densetsu 3 isn't either, missing some key players from the SNES era here.

Antiwhippy

I've always wondered what people see in JRPG stories. They all seem so similar, and the writing so surface-level and melodramatic. I've only played a few FF games (7,9,10), but everything just seems so bland and generic to me.

Is is the translation that makes them like this? I'm not trying to talk down on these games, as a lot of people clearly love them. I just really want to know what makes them special in terms of story and writing. Anything I should play to see the light?

You've played one series and think the writing of all jrpgs are so similar.

🤔🤔🤔

Kill3r7

CW level writing and story telling. There are very few traditional JRPGs that are adult oriented or where characters are actual adults. I found Xenogears to touch on some interesting themes and deal with the world in a fairly mature way. Vagrant Story is also good. Obviously the Souls games are on point but they are not what I would consider traditional turn base JRPGs. CT is one of my favorite games all time so give that a whirl.

EDIT: totally forgot about about Nier.

Lynx_7

To the list's credit, they did rightfully recognize DQ V as the best DQ entry and even placed it relatively high (I mean, I don't expect to see DQ anywhere near the top 20 or 10 in western outlets, so 33 is as good as it gets). Now they just need more people on staff to play III.

Breath of Fire Dragon quarter should be on that list.

There's no way in hell that one is ever getting any sort of mainstream recognition. Maybe in something like "overlooked gen 6 gems" or "best rpgs you never played" (and even that's stretching it) but not top 100 of all time. It's way too niche and Capcom is never going to rerelease it. I'm already grateful enough it has a cult following on GAF.

Rad-

Maybe it's because I'm well into adulthood at this point and my personal friends don't talk about games this way or feel the need to try and discredit them with meaningless labels, but whenever I see someone use the word 'overrated' to describe a game, especially for an enormously popular and beloved game like VII, everything else that comes after gets tuned out. Kind of embarrassing for the gaming press, to be honest.

This post is embarrassing.

As a Role-Playing purist I don't particularly agree with the number of JRPGs included. But it ain't my list so it's cool. At least they hit on some the best real RPGs in the top 10 with things like Torment and BG2.

rataven

This post is embarrassing.

He stated they ranked VII the way they did because they feel it's overrated. XII is judged on the merits of its battle system and world. VII is judged on it's 'overratedness'. Which has absolutely zero to do with the game itself. Sorry, but how is that not embarrassing?

I enjoy JRPGs but mostly because they're easily approachable and often mechanically fun in their systems. But yeah, the story and characters tend to be ridiculous and overdone. And the inability to make meaningful character choices makes me have a hard time considering them Role-Playing games. I'd personally rate a game like Vampire - Bloodlines, even with its jank and bugs, over any JRPG I've played simply because it's a more true Role-Playing experience.

He stated they ranked VII the way they did because they feel it's overrated. XII is judged on the merits of its battle system and world. VII is judged on it's 'overratedness'. Which has absolutely zero to do with the game itself. Sorry, but how is that not embarrassing?

Your post was solid, mate. Don't feel bad. ;)

Kill3r7

I enjoy JRPGs but mostly because they're easily approachable and often mechanically fun in their systems. But yeah, the story and characters tend to be ridiculous and overdone. And the inability to make meaningful character choices makes me have a hard time considering them Role-Playing games. I'd personally rate a game like Vampire - Bloodlines, even with its jank and bugs, over any JRPG I've played simply because it's a more true Role-Playing experience.

Agreed.

EDIT: Bloodlines made the list.

MilkBeard

Chrono Trigger is a great game, but it's definitely not #1 material for me. However, when I worked on a website with other gamers, there were many vocal fans for this game, so I am not surprised and can understand why they would make it their #1.

Agreed.

EDIT: Bloodlines made the list.

It did, but there's like 2 dozen JRPGs ahead of it and I'm just like ehhh...

It's whatever though. I give up trying to make people understand what Role-Playing means. 'RPG' seems to basically just means 'games with levels/XP' these days.

... at least Zelda isn't in it.

He didn't really say that. The group ranked FFVII where they did because they think it belongs there off the merits of what it is, and where they rank it reflects the fact that they think it's overrated. Personally, I think using "overrated," especially for a game like Final Fantasy VII which has been the target of a "well, it's not actually that good" campaign for the past 20 years, is still dumb as fuck and says nothing.

aravuus

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I've soured a lot on FFX over the years. I loved it at launch and played through it a couple times, loved FFX-2, and eagerly bought the ports on PS3, Vita, PS4, and PC...but I just don't really like playing it.

The environment designs feel super dated, the minigames are fucking awful, the music is inconsistent, the voice acting is (understandably) mediocre, and even the gameplay feels super rote (use character X for enemy Y, every time) now that SMT has been hammering the same weakness-heavy turn-based stuff for 15 years since.

I still like the story and characters well enough.

I mean, I don't hate it, and I would certainly place it in the top 100 somewhere, but that's largely because there's a ton on this list I wouldn't have put there, and a bunch I would have.

No, I definitely agree. It's a weird game for me. I definitely think it belongs on any top 100 RPG list and I absolutely adored it the first time I played it, but nowadays I just can't get into it. I don't think I've gotten further than maybe 10 hours in once in the past 5 years.

Kill3r7

Chrono Trigger is a great game, but it's definitely not #1 material for me. However, when I worked on a website with other gamers, there were many vocal fans for this game, so I am not surprised and can understand why they would make it their #1.

I think CT is arguably the best edited JRPG. The game basically has little to no filler. So you end up with a well rounded and complete package. It might not be the best at any one thing but it does a lot of things extremely well.

Rodin

Oh well, can't really argue with the top 10. Not necessarily the same as mine but i can respect it, can't say the same for the GI utter bullshit. N1 is also undeniably correct.

They also seem to understand that Zelda isn't an RPG, which is good.

MilkBeard

I think CT is arguably the best edited JRPG. The game basically has little to no filler. So you end up with a well rounded and complete package. It might not be the best at any one thing but it does a lot of things extremely well.

Yes, that is true. No filler, but also with multiple endings and some choices, especially with a SNES rpg is pretty great. The music is great and helps set the atmosphere of the game. It definitely is one of those games where they hit it out of the ballpark.

urfe

I disagree with a lot, but I am happily surprised at number 1/2, and how high Tactics Ogre and FFT is.

Fun to read.

eot

Banned
Bards Tale
Final Fantasy
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Pool of Radiance
Ultima IV
Betrayal at Krondor
Fire Emblem
Wizardry 8
Everquest
Ys Book 1 & 2
Shining Force II
Ultima VII
TES III: Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Baldurs Gate
Fallout
Freedom Force
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Pokemon Yellow
Dragon Quest V
System Shock 2
Legend of Dragoon
Illusion of Gaia
Titan Quest
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
Phantasy Star IV
Icewind Dale II
Baldurs Gate II
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Darkest Dungeon
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Planescape: Torment
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy IV
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Dragon Warrior VII
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Earthbound
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Grandia II
EVE Online
Phantasy Star Online
The World Ends With You
Persona 3
Fire Emblem Awakening
Front Mission 3
Breath of Fire III
Golden Sun
Deus Ex
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Vagrant Story
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Skies of Arcadia
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Fallout 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Diablo 2
Demons Souls
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Undertale
Final Fantasy XII
Stardew Valley
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Tales of Symphonia
Jade Empire
KOTOR
Fable II
Torchlight II
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy Tactics
TES V: Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Sun & Moon
Witcher 2
World of Warcraft
Valkyria Chronicles
Kingdom Hearts II
Persona 5
Persona 4
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity Original Sin
Dragon Age Inquisition
Mass Effect 2
Suikoden II
Dragon Age: Origins
Dark Souls
Xenoblade Chronicles
Bloodborne
Witcher 3

Thoughts? Reordered for playability today.
You have two dragon age games in your top 10. What are you doing?

Top Bottom