• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

poodaddy

Gold Member
If any Zelda is there it's still gonna be OoT ... the jock-riding for that game is eternal.

All top 100 lists are also required to not put FFVII as the highest FF game because it is the most popular and that wouldn't be the hipster thing to do. But Ocarina somehow is exempt there.

I'm also flabberghasted at people putting Witcher 3 in the top 10... I *still* cannot force myself to beat that game. I have beaten System Shock 2 (again), Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Dishonored, and am about to beat Horizon Zero Dawn in the time I've had it.

The Witcher 2 and Chrono Trigger would both be in my number one spot as it's impossible for me to choose between them. It's just opinions bro, someone disagreeing with you doesn't make them a hipster, they might just not like FFVII. I vastly prefer VI over VII just because I despise VII's cast, but my wife prefers VII; yet somehow we procreate and respect each other all the same.

The Witcher 2 and Chrono Trigger would both be in my number one spot as it's impossible for me to choose between them. It's just opinions bro, someone disagreeing with you doesn't make them a hipster, they might just not like FFVII. I vastly prefer VI over VII just because I despise VII's cast, but my wife prefers VII; yet somehow we procreate and respect each other all the same.

yea I know opinions how do they work and all

but my favorite RPGs are typically in the "top rpgs" lists - Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, System Shock 2, FFVII/IX/X (I get people's love for VI I just had issues with it), KOTOR, Diablo 2 etc..

but Witcher 3 to me is just an absolute slog... I thought it was because I'm not a big "open world" RPG/game guy, but I love Horizon ZD, so I have no idea

--

Also if they leave Jade Empire off this list I will burn everything to the ground

1 ff7
2 ff6
3 ff5
4 ff4
5 breath of fire 2

... I'll allow it

My top 10:-

Baldur's Gate II
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Planescape: Torment
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Knights of the Old Republic II
Wasteland
Shadowrun
Fallout 2
Ultima Underworld : The Stygian Abyss

RIP Looking Glass & Bioware of old...

My top 10:-

Baldur's Gate II
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Planescape: Torment
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Knights of the Old Republic II
Wasteland
Shadowrun
Fallout 2
Ultima Underworld : The Stygian Abyss

RIP Looking Glass & Bioware of old...

Gat damn that's pretty much mine:

BG2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
KOTOR 1
KOTOR 2
FFVII
FFX
Diablo 2
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls

*never played Vampire TM (I need to), Ultima, or Wasteland.

I'll do one too even though I pretty much only play JRPGs.

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy VIII
4. Earthbound
5. Pokemon Blaze Black II
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Kingdom Hearts
8. Dragon Quest VIII
9. Kingdom Hearts II
10. Dragon Quest V
11. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
12. Final Fantasy X
13. Threads of Fate
14. Chrono Trigger
15. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
16. Final Fantasy V
17. Final Fantasy VI
18. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
19. Super Mario RPG
20. ????

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy VIII
4. Earthbound
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Kingdom Hearts
8. Dragon Quest VIII
9. Kingdom Hearts II
10. Dragon Quest V
12. Final Fantasy X
13. Threads of Fate
14. Chrono Trigger
15. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirit
16. Final Fantasy V
17. Final Fantasy VI
19. Super Mario RPG
20. ????
I approve of Final Fantasy IV. I would say first, but 2nd is good enough.

Budi

Interesting. Define casual. Actually pretty sure the list will contain top rpgs like BG so I'm curious how thats casual or lets say something that we already know its on the list, Divinity OS. What makes a person who plays these rpgs a casual to be more precise is what I'm curious.

I'm expecting it to be heavy on action, modern releases, open world blockbusters and old school crpg:s being left in the dust. TOP 10 will be more about popularity rather than being an excellent game in it's genre.

Edit: Btw, here's their old list. http://www.ign.com/lists/rpgs/1 Skyrim, Fallout 3 (when there's 3 better choices just in the franchise), World of Warcraft, Pokemon in the TOP 10. No Planescape, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Deus Ex etc. This is what I'm expecting from this TOP 10 too, top sellers.

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy VIII
4. Earthbound
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Kingdom Hearts
8. Dragon Quest VIII
9. Kingdom Hearts II
10. Dragon Quest V
12. Final Fantasy X
13. Threads of Fate
14. Chrono Trigger
16. Final Fantasy V
17. Final Fantasy VI
19. Super Mario RPG
20. ????

Yes. No one ever talks about this game, but it was damn good.

Kolx

I'd be fine with either Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Undertale or New Vegas as #1. Fallout 4 better not be anywhere on this list. Persona 4 deserves to be top 20 but doubt it will be there.

Betrayal at Krondor should be higher.

I'm not sure of Pillars of Eternity shouldn't be on the list or Dragon Age Inquisition should be higher, but the gap should definitely be bigger. Pillars of Eternity did a good job highlighting why Obsidian are mostly stuck piggy-backing off other company's success.

Comments like these are the equivalent of Clinton-voting Bernie Sanders naysayers.

All top 100 lists are also required to not put FFVII as the highest FF game because it is the most popular and that wouldn't be the hipster thing to do. But Ocarina somehow is exempt there.

Haha.

Though FF7 doesn't hold a candle to other RPGs even outside of the context of FF. Too much functional sameyness between characters (only VIII was worse).

I'm not even sure what that means, but I'm guessing its a bad thing?

Yes. Yes it is.

Obsidian WERE part of the original Baldur's Gate II team as Black Isle. They're the original daddies of choice rich narrative, and stayed true, while Bioware sold out.

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy VIII
4. Earthbound
6. Final Fantasy XII
7. Kingdom Hearts
8. Dragon Quest VIII
9. Kingdom Hearts II
10. Dragon Quest V
12. Final Fantasy X
13. Threads of Fate
14. Chrono Trigger
16. Final Fantasy V
17. Final Fantasy VI
19. Super Mario RPG
20. ????

Agree with the choices, not the order though (FFIV & FFVIII >>> FFV & FFVI, KH games above Paper Mario are major no-nos.)

KH2's placement is rather generous, IMO.

I can't comment on the rest since barring FF1 I've never played them, so I guess I'm cool with whatever so long as EarthBound and PM:TTYD make it. Bonus points for Mother 3.

Wulfram

Yes. Yes it is.

Obsidian WERE part of the original Baldur's Gate II team as Black Isle. They're the original daddies of choice rich narrative, and stayed true, while Bioware sold out.

Lets not rewrite history here, Bioware developed Baldur's Gate 2, Black Isle published it. If you want to talk up Black Isle, then you should be talking about Fallout and Planescape: Torment, which is plenty to be going on with.

If someone wants a successor to Baldur's Gate 2, they should play DAI (Or DAO). Which is natural, since those are the games made by people like David Gaider and Lukas Kristjansen who also wrote much of BG2.

Pillars of Eternity, on the other hand, is merely a competent pastiche that fails to live up to its original or its successors.

Lets not rewrite history here, Bioware developed Baldur's Gate 2, Black Isle published it. If you want to talk up Black Isle, then you should be talking about Fallout and Planescape: Torment, which is plenty to be going on with.

If someone wants a successor to Baldur's Gate 2, they should play DAI (Or DAO). Which is natural, since those are the games made by people like David Gaider and Lukas Kristjansen who also wrote much of BG2.

Pillars of Eternity, on the other hand, is merely a competent pastiche that fails to live up to its original or its successors.

You may be right, but Black Isle's influence was surely in there. (They took the quest whiteboards for one.) Also, Bioware later said they'd never do anything as complicated ever again.

Say what you will about Obsidian, but at least they've stayed honest. (DA: I is too open world-y to compare to Baldur's Gate.)

yea I know opinions how do they work and all

but my favorite RPGs are typically in the "top rpgs" lists - Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, System Shock 2, FFVII/IX/X (I get people's love for VI I just had issues with it), KOTOR, Diablo 2 etc..

Diablo II is one of those games I don't agree with myself.

Theodoricos

Planescape: Torment, Mass Effect 1, Final Fantasy VI, Persona 4, KOTOR 1, KOTOR 2 and Undertale better be on this list.

Wulfram

You may be right, but Black Isle's influence was surely in there. (They took the quest whiteboards for one.) Also, Bioware later said they'd never do anything as complicated ever again.

Say what you will about Obsidian, but at least they've stayed honest. (DA: I is too open world-y to compare to Baldur's Gate.)

BG1 basically was open world, though. Not seamless open world of course, but it was made up of large open areas that you could explore.

I remember when Bioware were "selling out" by moving away from that open world design in BG2.

I just want to see Chrono Trigger at #1. I want to bring up two more points.

I haven't seen Shadow Hearts 2 show up yet, so I worry that it may have been shafted. That's a real shame in my opinion.

I would definitely put SMT III in my top 10 of all time. I think it's better than any Persona, but most seem to disagree. I love both of them, though.

BG1 basically was open world, though. Not seamless open world of course, but it was made up of large open areas that you could explore.

I remember when Bioware were "selling out" by moving away from that open world design in BG2.

Ok, specifically Skyrim inspired open world is what I meant.

With BG you had a sizable overworld that was nonetheless split into smaller isometrically viewed chunks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
80 Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
79 Star Ocean: The Second Story
78 Illusion of Gaia
77 Valkyria Chronicles
76 Icewind Dale II
75 The Legend of Dragoon
74 Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
73 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
72 Neverwinter Nights 2
71 Jade Empire
70 Fire Emblem Awakening
69 Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
68 Undertale
67 Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
66 Pool of Radiance
65 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
64 Lunar: Eternal Blue
63 Phantasy Star Online
62 Breath of Fire III
61 Lunar: Silver Star Story

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pleasantly surprised Pool of Radiance made this list.

Wizardry 8, Betrayal at Krondor, and Everquest are way too low, especially behind stuff like Fable 2 and Torchlight 2? 🤣

80 Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
79 Star Ocean: The Second Story
78 Illusion of Gaia
77 Valkyria Chronicles
76 Icewind Dale II
75 The Legend of Dragoon
74 Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
73 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
72 Neverwinter Nights 2
71 Jade Empire
70 Fire Emblem Awakening
69 Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
68 Undertale
67 Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
66 Pool of Radiance
65 Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
64 Lunar: Eternal Blue
63 Phantasy Star Online
62 Breath of Fire III
61 Lunar: Silver Star Story
There better be Another Fire Emblem game higher up because Awkening is pretty mediocre.

Lists are subjective and all that, on a top 100 spanning decades you can pretty much play anything on this list and not go wrong. These lists are hard when they go back that far IMO though... like don't get me wrong I fully appreciate Pools of Radiance and other Gold Box games, and loved them back in the day. But I don't feel they hold up all that well these days... when I get the itch to play an old school RPG I turn to Wizardry 7/8, I can deal with old Might & Magic 4-8 (hey I even finished 9!), or pick up an Ultima 4+... I can't say I've ever been compelled to dip back into Gold Box :D

I want to see Ultima 7/Complete in the top 10, but it's forever forgotten :(. Its even super-playable today with Exult, and is still a fantastic game (man that combat is rough though!).

I'd like to get Wasteland 2 in there somewhere high up as well, thought it was phenomenal.

And Might & Magic X!

Pillars of Eternity satisfied me on pretty much every level, In my mind its Top 10 material.

1. Dragon Age II
2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3. ArcaniA: Gothic 4

my personal top-3 of best rpg's of all time

I fully expect them all to feature in IGN's top 100

I'm genuinely curious as to this one, not crapping on it at all... I'm currently playing DA2 for the first time and enjoying it quite a bit. But as a personal #1, what is it that is such a big draw for you?

Anything Bethesda in the top 50 would be laughable.

I know people like to slag Skyrim, but this was a genuinely good game IMO. Sure, it has it's share of problems but it was a lot of fun and I don't think its misplaced in a Top 50. If they would address the series lackluster melee combat (play as an archer/stealth of mage and its a lot better), it would have been a stellar offering. And Morrowind has to get into a Top 50 if only for innovation alone.

I wonder if we will see Realms of Arkania on there... I've not played the remake, so I can only comment on the original. Any game where I can get the flu because I crossed over the mountains without buying the proper sleeping equipment is ok by me ;)

Hylian7

Sadly I am fully expecting Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne to not even be on this list. I'm barely expecting mainline SMT to be on this list at all.

I define mainline as SMT 1, 2, 3, 4, if..., Strange Journey, and 4 Apocalypse.

Eusis

1. Dragon Age II
2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3. ArcaniA: Gothic 4

my personal top-3 of best rpg's of all time

I fully expect them all to feature in IGN's top 100
I... uhh... ok.

If serious I only expect Oblivion and maybe DAII there (ranking higher than DA:I though what the hell). ArcaniA's gotta be a no show.

LordofPwn

of those listed so far I've played 5 of them and thats where I would place them in relation to one another.

I still feel like KH1 is better than 2 but only because 2s story and some of the worlds really sucked. Combat was objectively better in 2 though.
I also hated Roxas

Its understandable why they're making this list though; we've had 3 of some of the best RPGs release in the past couple months. Nier, Persona, and Zelda

Budi

I'd like to get Wasteland 2 in there somewhere high up as well, thought it was phenomenal.

Hell yeah it was! Sadly I don't usually see much love for WL2 in GAF. It definitely should be on the list, not sure about the placement though. Not near the TOP 10 atleast. But since Pillars and Divinity are listed already, I don't believe Wasteland 2 will make an appearance.

Nere

I will attempt a top 10 too since many did it:
1. Morrowind
2. Dark Souls
3. Fallout NV
4. Witcher 3
5. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
6. Baldur's gate II
7. Final Fantasy IX
8. Skyrim
9. Diablo II
10. Golden sun I/II