• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time

Wulfram

Ok, specifically Skyrim inspired open world is what I meant.

With BG you had a sizable overworld that was nonetheless split into smaller isometrically viewed chunks.

BG1 seems to have been conceived as essentially a single chunk (or maybe two, with the city separate) and then split up, my guess is for technical reasons. The maps mostly fit together if you splice them together, to the extent that shadows of large objects will show up in neighbouring maps.

(The Cloakwood maps don't really seem to fit, or the firewine bridge)

DAI open world isn't really very Skyrim like. Its not a single overworld, and it doesn't have loads and loads of dungeons. Its more of an MMO structure to be honest

Nimby

Banned
Sadly I am fully expecting Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne to not even be on this list. I'm barely expecting mainline SMT to be on this list at all.

I define mainline as SMT 1, 2, 3, 4, if..., Strange Journey, and 4 Apocalypse.

I'd say IV or III would have the best shot. It also sucks P3/P4 will probably get a spot over Nocturne and Persona 5, the actual best Megaten games that have a slight chance.

My top ten would literally be Megaten and Souls/Bloodborne.

Sadly I am fully expecting Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne to not even be on this list. I'm barely expecting mainline SMT to be on this list at all.

I define mainline as SMT 1, 2, 3, 4, if..., Strange Journey, and 4 Apocalypse.
Yep.

But of course, Persona 4 Golden and maybe Persona 5 will be there. :<

Where is the mainline SMT love

Kallor

#1 : WoW
#2 :Skyrim
#3 : Final Fantasy 6
#4 : Chrono trigger
#5 : Wild Hunt
#6 : Fallout 3
#7 : Pokémon red
#8 : Dark Souls
#9 : Deus Ex
#10 : Baldurs gate 2

my try at their top ten.

Nere

#1 : WoW
#2 :Skyrim
#3 : Final Fantasy 6
#4 : Chrono trigger
#5 : Wild Hunt
#6 : Fallout 3
#7 : Pokémon red
#8 : Dark Souls
#9 : Deus Ex
#10 : Baldurs gate 2

my try at their top ten.

Damn forgot about WoW I think it is a game that really deserves the top spot but it never gets it in lists like those, for some reasons it's achievements are always forgotten like I did, sadly.

PK Gaming

IGN, please don't enable certain fans that shall not be named

And definitely keep Skyrim away from top 5. (Top 10 even)

Accoun

If Wizardry IV isn't number 1, this list is officially shit.
;-)                                       
But seriously, read about it. It's interesting.

joecanada

lol I was reading the list top down thinking "huh everquest, that is someone's top rpg of all time, ok then "

then I saw Fable 2 and knew I fucked up.

^ lol see above

Chac

My top 20 looks a little something like this:

Persona 4
Final Fantasy X
Deus Ex
Final Fantasy VIII
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Chrono Cross
Lost Odyssey
Nier
Skies of Arcadia
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Nier Automata
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Mass Effect
Dragon Age: Origins
Xenoblade Chronicles
Final Fantasy IV
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Xenogears

RPGam3r

Inquisition being where its at above some titles is hilarious to me, and not bc of the position but the salt at a good game that some people don't like making higher than others. I love Inquisition and I'm glad it gets recognition.

Skyrim and Fallout 3 in the top 10 would also be awesome to see.

Fingers crossed for Final Fantasy VIII and KOTOR 2.

I don't think FF8 will be on the list at all considering that it ranked below every game but 2 in their crappy FF ranking list. Below even 1, which is on this top 100

List looks like a jumble of games that were chosen according to the loudness of forum posts with very little thought about the order. FE Awakening may be a popular game that saved the series but it's in no way better than say, Superstar Saga

Yoda

The more interesting thing to guess is... What game will they shoe-horn into the top 10, which doesn't belong, to stir up controversy and get more clicks...

My guess:
Mass Effect 3 (Well guys just ignore the ending!)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Reading some of the (console) games on this list is a lot like reliving my childhood and adolescence.

I'm glad Inquisition placed, by the way, even if its precise placement is probably about 30 spaces lower now than it would have been within a few months of its release when the media expected everyone else to love it.

I think Final Fantasy VI will outpace VII by several spaces, by the way, and possibly take the whole pack. They really love that one over there.

The more interesting thing to guess is... What game will they shoe-horn into the top 10, which doesn't belong, to stir up controversy and get more clicks...

My guess:

I'd love if it that happened. It's in my top ten games!

I don't think you should bet on that. In mainstream lists like these only VII and X are likely to be in top ten.

VI has made some real strides, and it'll definitely be on the Top 10 at IGN.

Perineum

Great list so far. Odd folks are doing lists this week. I was in a car for 6 hours today and was reworking in my head my top 10 games of all time.

No particular order I had

Final Fantasy XI
Persona 4
Gears of War
Street Fighter 4
Starcraft 2
Suikoden 2
Bloodborne
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 3
Destiny

Out of that list I did 4 (5 if you count Destiny) are RPGs. It also dawned on me the games I grew up with and loved have been toppled a lot. Games like Star Ocean The Second Story, Grandia, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Chrono Trigger, Cross, FF7, FF9, Phantasy Star, Legend of Dragoon, Super Mario RPG, and plenty more fro my younger days aren't in the top 10 or 20 at this point.

Ocarina of Time and Chrono Trigger are the next games I would add to my list for the GAF hive mind that defends those games as Jesus next coming.

Brinbe

Personal unordered top 10

FFVI
Chrono Trigger
Fallout 2
Fallout NV
Xenogears
Pokemon FireRed
TES: Morrowind
FFVII
Planescape!!!
Suikoden

Eusis

When did strategy games become RPGs? I missed the memo.
Usually when they involve leveling and equipment. So Disgaea generally qualifies while Final Fantasy Tactics and especially Shining Force double down on that. Games like Xcom are definitely hazier though, I feel that's kind of on the line and where it falls depends on your view of what an RPG is.

mokeyjoe

Damn forgot about WoW I think it is a game that really deserves the top spot but it never gets it in lists like those, for some reasons it's achievements are always forgotten like I did, sadly.

I've never played it, but WoW is bound to be top.

These whiny threads are always funny to me. Like there's a definitive objective list.
If the IGN staff doesn't like a popular game for whatever reason, they shouldn't list it higher because of it's popularity. It's just the opinion of a few people and these lists are great for people wanting to know the genre better.

Another thread to bitch about Bioware in and argue over which is the best game between FF VI, FF7, and Chrono Trigger. Should be good fun as always. I will be surprised if one of those isn't #1. Witcher 3 as a dark horse because of recency bias and being a pick that would be controversial in a good way.

I wonder if KOTOR will make top 10.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Eagerly anticipate pleasing one third of you and disappointing everyone else when the final 20 are revealed on Friday.

Final Fantasy 7 isn't good and if this list was mine and mine alone to fill it wouldn't be on the top 100 at all

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Eagerly anticipate pleasing one third of you and disappointing everyone else when the final 20 are revealed on Friday.

Final Fantasy 7 isn't good and if this list was mine and mine alone to fill it wouldn't be on the top 100 at all

I'm glad the list isn't yours and yours alone, then, Justin. =P

Hylian7

I'd say IV or III would have the best shot. It also sucks P3/P4 will probably get a spot over Nocturne and Persona 5, the actual best Megaten games that have a slight chance.

My top ten would literally be Megaten and Souls/Bloodborne.

Yep.

But of course, Persona 4 Golden and maybe Persona 5 will be there. :<

Where is the mainline SMT love
You guys both have good taste.

Honestly P5 probably deserves a spot in the list, but the at the same time the reasons I like it more than P3 and P4 are because it plays more like a mainline SMT game. I never was a fan of "Shuffle Time" in P3 and P4.

Definitely hope to see Nocturne high on the list though.

I'm willing to bet The World Ends With You (DS version) ends up on this list, it absolutely deserves it.

Neptonic

My list is objectively better than whatever IGN will make:
HeartGold/SoulSilver
Earthbound
Mother 3
FF Tactics
FF6
FF8 exclusively for Triple Triad
Valkyria Chronicles
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga
New Vegas
KoTOR 2
Deus Ex
Dragon's Dogma
Diablo 2
Dark Souls
Persona 4

BG1 seems to have been conceived as essentially a single chunk (or maybe two, with the city separate) and then split up, my guess is for technical reasons. The maps mostly fit together if you splice them together, to the extent that shadows of large objects will show up in neighbouring maps.

(The Cloakwood maps don't really seem to fit, or the firewine bridge)

DAI open world isn't really very Skyrim like. Its not a single overworld, and it doesn't have loads and loads of dungeons. Its more of an MMO structure to be honest

Actually you're right. Bioware did always have those aspirations, now that you remind me. Those limitations did wonders in keeping them focused.

Nottle

Is Valkyria Chronicles an RPG? I know I know video game genres are weird and all.

Such a minimal level of stat growth.

TheContact

Just got my notice of new game informer magazine. They too did a top 100 rpgs. Interesting to see how different they were from IGN's. Really shows that it's all subjective preference.

My guess:

Well it's in my personal top 10..
It would certainly be controversial, the backlash over it was kinda crazy.
But even if you really didn't like the ending, it's only like 15minutes out of an otherwise fantastic 30hr+ game - not necessarily enough to knock it off a list of this nature

WoW has passed into the "cool to hate" category at this point, so most people call it shit despite being the most successful MMORPG in history and having an absurd amount of content in the game.

Famassu

I'll forever and ever object to any list that puts Fable 2 anywhere near any Top 100s, especially one that puts far better quality games like Valkyria Chronicles, Front Mission 3 (wtf, why is this so low), Titan Quest, Torchlight II, Kingdom Hearts II and such near it. The jankiest, crappiest high profile RPG I've ever had the displeasure to play.

Top Bottom