• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imma let you finish, but Captain America has the greatest rogue's gallery of ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Thanks guys.

Like I said earlier on in the thread, at least Batman creators still manage to come up with great, iconic villains every once in a while, which is more than can be said for other heroes.
Mud_Pack_002.jpg

1763387-batman__1940__579.jpeg

2218948-catman_wallpaper.jpg

Yep

Sometimes I wonder how much of this comes down to the characters having the most coverage in other media. Two face and a few other Batman villains are good, well fleshed out characters, but what is inherently amazing about the Penguin or Killer Croc?

I think I've read a few decent portrayals of Croc that played up some of his backstory, but yeah, nothing great.

As for Penguin, you should really be watching Gotham.

I'm trying to work out how "there are some misses" in any way contradicts "Batman creators still manage to come up with great, iconic villains every once in a while" and I'm sort of drawing a blank.

Slayven

I think I've read a few decent portrayals of Croc that played up some of his backstory, but yeah, nothing great.

As for Penguin, you should really be watching Gotham.

I'm trying to work out how "there are some misses" in any way contradicts "Batman creators still manage to come up with great, iconic villains every once in a while" and I'm sort of drawing a blank.
jokes

man Orca was done dirty

She was, they best leave my boy Charxas alone.

J2 Cool

As a kid, only a fan of the animated series of all these superhero characters, I honestly always thought Spider-man's villains would be 2nd and 3rd tier X-men villains. Throw the Vulture, Rhino, Electro next to The Blob and such.

As far as what I watched, it was always Batman tops, X-men second.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
he easily has one of the most evil galleries of all time oh yes, full of world domination upon the skulls of ...meh whoever aint hydra.

Pachimari

Is it possible for Marvel Studios to make Baron Zemo a reality in the MCU if he is already an "AI"? Just curious about this.

Is it possible for Marvel Studios to make Baron Zemo a reality in the MCU if he is already an "AI"? Just curious about this.

Y'mean Zola?

They could always rez him with a mobile backup excuse.

Zemo still hasn't showed up in the MCU outside of that Captain America movie game, if that counts.

NeonZ

So that got me thinking- is there a reverse Arrow? A series where the villains so outclass the heroes that the bad guys are insanely popular and appear everywhere, but the heroes aren't popular enough to get regular page time? The one case I can think of is the New Gods. Any others?

Fantastic Four? They originated many cosmic elements that are often used without their presence, like Galactus and the Skrulls.

Loona

So that got me thinking- is there a reverse Arrow? A series where the villains so outclass the heroes that the bad guys are insanely popular and appear everywhere, but the heroes aren't popular enough to get regular page time? The one case I can think of is the New Gods. Any others?

If you're just talking about recurrence/popularity, Black Adam to Captain Marvel/Shazam probably counts. DC really has no idea of what to do with Batson, and Black Adam's been cast way in advance of the titular character for their movie.

Key word there. Susan ain't a killer but don't push her.

People in the Marvel universe don't know it, but when they say "mother of god" they're actually talking about her, considering she gave birth to Franklin Richards, has Green Lantern powers, only without the need for a ring, and invisible to boot, and is one of the few people to have met The One Above All.
Not somebody that should be messed with under any circumstances.

Regarding Red Skull, I'm sort of surprised he's not depicted as a more recurring X-Men antagonist, considering the nazi history shouldn't be hard to reference into the recurring homo sapiens/homo superior thing.
I know Magneto took him on harshy at least once, and there's that Xavier brain thing that's been posted here a few time, but those seem like sporadic cases, with the likes of Trash usually leading the charge against mutants.

Then again, considering how Marvel appears to be refocusing from mutants to inhumans, I wonder what Skull's view on those guys might be...

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
If you're just talking about recurrence/popularity, Black Adam to Captain Marvel/Shazam probably counts. DC really has no idea of what to do with Batson, and Black Adam's been cast way in advance of the titular character for their movie.

People in the Marvel universe don't know it, but when they say "mother of god" they're actually talking about her, considering she gave birth to Franklin Richards, has Green Lantern powers, only without the need for a ring, and invisible to boot, and is one of the few people to have met The One Above All.
Not somebody that should be messed with under any circumstances.

Regarding Red Skull, I'm sort of surprised he's not depicted as a more recurring X-Men antagonist, considering the nazi history shouldn't be hard to reference into the recurring homo sapiens/homo superior thing.
I know Magneto took him on harshy at least once, and there's that Xavier brain thing that's been posted here a few time, but those seem like sporadic cases, with the likes of Trash usually leading the charge against mutants.

Then again, considering how Marvel appears to be refocusing from mutants to inhumans, I wonder what Skull's view on those guys might be...

she isn't making stupid light constructs based on emotion. She would kill all the Lanterns...and mostly because outside of Sinestro they are retarded morons, they should be running the universe....

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is this the picture we are talking about?

1747496-hank_pym_slap_super.jpg

If so... how is this the inkers fault?

it was bob halls fault, but he blames his inexperience and says that given a few more years he wouldnt have done it like that
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/01/jim-shooter-never-intended-ant-man-to-be-a-wasp-beater/

theres an comment by brevoort there too, but i dont know why he said anything. all that talk about trying to clean up his image and you have multiple cases of writers taking potshots, and an alternate universe that is straight up psychotic. its like he doesnt read the comics pym is involved in

oh wow this is still going! good as opportunity as any to expand on some strucker stuff.

There's one panel from "Secret Warriors" in the OP, but the context around it is just great.
This scene takes place during the "secret invasion" arc, where skrulls are shown to have infiltrated just about everyone, disguising themselves as various heroes, villains, politicians, etc in a bid to take over the planet. Strucker is in one of his underwater bases, watching news reports come in as the invasion hits full swing. Reports are coming in that coordinated attacks on 4 continents are underway, and everyone is unaffected. Everyone, apparently EXCEPT Hydra, according to Hydra intelligence.

Strucker isn't an idiot, and knows this is bullshit. His "intelligence" are clearly skrull infiltrators and Hydra is compromised. Strucker calls them out for what they are, and dares them to challenge the Hydra Supreme leader in single combat. All four drop the disguise and attack:

Strucker makes swift work of all four skrull warriors, mocking them as he kills them. But first he needs to know- how compromised is Hydra? how far does it go?

hmm.."endless" could be a problem. There's no reliable way to determine who is and isn't a skrull infiltrator at this point. could be tens, could be hundreds, could be more. There's only one way to be sure.

Strucker6_zps40218840.png

Fuck it. Blow the base. This means killing all Hydra Agents posted there in the process just to make sure no skrulls get out, but those are all acceptable losses. Hydra is so vast that the loss of an underwater base and 15 thousand troops doesn't even make a dent in their operations. Hydra will survive and thrive. This invasion..won't.

And that's why Strucker is in the OP.

Feel like Red Skull should make a return to MCU already (probably the only villain I've legitimately thought was interesting besides Loki) and taskmaster should be present in some form.

Very yes. Been waiting for him to come back from the moment he left. Loved the Red Skull. Definitely one of the better MCU villains which are usually lacking. Robo-Zola should come back with him since theyve already set that up.

Don't think Hugo is game but with that much makeup/prosthetics they could easily get away with recasting him and most viewers wouldn't even notice.

Very yes. Been waiting for him to come back from the moment he left. Loved the Red Skull. Definitely one of the better MCU villains which are usually lacking.

Don't think Hugo is game but with that much makeup/prosthetics they could easily get away with recasting him and most viewers wouldn't even notice.

I think he'll be back eventually, his "death" clearly wasn't meant to be permanent. The MCU films all being integrated and working towards Civil War and Avengers 3 (Which is presumably Thanos finally arriving) means it might be a while before we see him though.

While I'm at it, It's *probably* criminal that I gave Batroc short shrift also.

qsk3o1_zps21b776f1.jpg

I know, I know. I'll try to make up for it now.

Born and raised in France and Trained in the Foreign Legion, Georges Batroc is a legendary mercenary, known far and wide for his mastery of Savate, or french kickboxing. "That's it??" I hear you say. Well, he does have a pretty sweet mustache.

How dangerous could he be, next to heroes who know hundreds of styles passed down from magic dragons or ancient chinese masters?

BOOM this dangerous. Batroc is the real deal.

Batroc was seen as an inmate of the extremely high-security prison The Cage. The prison sports a field that mentally suppresses inmates' abilities to use their superpowers. "It doesn't matter how big you were on the outside. In here, combat experience is everything. Thugs like Wrecker and Thunderball might throw their weight around, but they'd never even dream of touching the big shots. Guys like Batroc and Kangaroo".

Who said that little quote? This guy.

and if you can't trust a canadian, who CAN you trust?

All kidding aside, Batroc may not *quite* be top tier

but you have to respect a man that isn't afraid to mix it up with the big dogs, and Batroc always does it with a smile. This is a man who loves his job:

12.JPG

2236009-1z6tvee.jpg

And is always good for some comic relief

Batroc is known almost as much for his fighting skill as he is for his flamboyant sense of style, demeanor, and ludicrously thick french accent. The ladies can't resist it, and some may be surprised to find that Batroc has a daughter out there somewhere, following in dad's footsteps:

..or..er..he DID anyway.

That's it! that's all I've got for now on Batroc! you can spot him in Winter Soldier as the only terrorist running around in a purple outfit if you like, though that Batroc is obviously inferior to the real deal. Till next time-

ugh, bat-fans

fantastic write-up, OP! i really wanna go read some more Taskmaster stories now, any highlights?

you would probably enjoy "Unthinkable."

taskmaster00a.jpeg

http://comicsalliance.com/taskmaster-unthinkable-review/

Taskmaster had previously been a character who drifted through the backgrounds of larger Marvel Universe stories, a supporting player in adventures that weren’t his own, but developed a cult fanbase largely thanks to his knack for kicking ass and being enigmatic. Of course, there’s a risk inherent in telling a story that expands on the background of an enigma. Just ask Boba Fett, and then cringe in horror as every word he speaks makes him less cool. Thankfully writer Fred Van Lente, artist Jefté Palo and color artist Jean-François Beaulieu rose to the challenge and created a fascinating origin story for Taskmaster, a character with more than thirty years of comics history behind him.
Released this week as a trade paperback collection, Taskmaster: Unthinkable follows a down-on-his-luck supervillain as he faces a global organization of affiliated evil henchmen groups, a town full of Hitlers, and, perhaps worst of all, the secrets of his own past. Able to gracefully segue from moments of laughter to action pieces to scenes that are genuinely touching, Taskmaster was one of the best things Marvel published in 2010.

It got a lot of love at release and still does, imho

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Thats pretty much it. Spider man batman have a lot of filler villains, but are constantly called the best.

whoa whoa , he has his classic foes like

Green Goblin
Hobgoblin
Lizard
Doc Ock
Rhino
Kraven
Venom
Carnage
Kingpin
Scorpion

etc etc

then theres the filler guys..

249px-Kanga1.jpg

Robert_Farrell_(Earth-616).png

Spot_(comics)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
whoa whoa , he has his classic foes like

Green Goblin
Hobgoblin
Lizard
Doc Ock
Rhino
Kraven
Venom
Carnage
Kingpin
Scorpion

etc etc

etc is about it. in fact id say you listed too many villains. lizard and scorpion are popular but blah characters. and i might be going too far to say scorpion is popular. and rhino is literal fodder.

Kraven's Last Hunt is one of the greatest superhero comic arcs I have ever read.

Did it ever get adapted to an animated series at all? I think the 90's cartoon did it, but I don't recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom