• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imma let you finish, but Captain America has the greatest rogue's gallery of ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

A list of Cap's greatest rogues without including the one and only RICHARD NIXON?!

xaQ6xSp.jpg

Even made him turn in the stars and stripes and start wearing a cape.

01Ot7vg.jpg

Slayven

Guardians of the Galaxy

Thanos
Galactus
Annihilus

:p
Nope, today's Guardians inherited the standard cosmic villians. Old School Guardians had some real villians

Ripjak(An alien that go his powers from Spiderman's blood)
638755-sc0006e19b.jpg

Protege(he was kicking the Beyonder's ass when the Beyonder's stock was worth something)
718635-prot_c3_a9g_c3_a9.jpg

Taserface and The Stark
1821576-overkill___guardians_of_the_galaxy_annual_2.jpg

753875-stark.jpg

Korvac
180898-30949-korvac.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Red Skull will forever be one of my most favorite villains, trumped only by Doom.

And really, it's mostly because Doom has some of the best dialogue in comic history.

K3zGvkA.jpg

It's a real shame Red Skull hasn't come back since the first Captain America movie. I loved how Hugo Weaving portrayed him.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Red Skull will forever be one of my most favorite villains, trumped only by Doom.

And really, it's mostly because Doom has some of the best dialogue in comic history.

K3zGvkA.jpg

It's a real shame Red Skull hasn't come back since the first Captain America movie. I loved how Hugo Weaving portrayed him.

Doctor Doom is brilliant because he transcends superhero and supervillain status by simply being himself. He can ally with either team without betraying his personal code. As long as he's Doom, his actions are just. It's what makes him so fascinating when he's written by someone like Hickman, because essentially Doom cannot be judged by anyone because he believes his actions are inherently noble. And not in a deluded way, he's run the math and seen that his actions, however reprehensible, avert something worse from happening.

Or to make it simply, Doom could wield Mjölnir with ease if he wanted to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

K3zGvkA.jpg

Doom and Valeria being buddies is still the best thing.

Sheroking

This thread reminds of something that disappointed me in Arkham Origins.

The game is great, I really like what they did with Troy Baker as The Joker, but did they really have to
play Black Mask like that? I was really enjoying the gaming thinking I'd be dealing with a different big bad whilst under the impression that The Joker wouldn't be introduced until the end of the game if at all, but then they went ahead and pulled that twist, which admittedly led to great things, but really kind of, I dunno, cheapened the whole experience prior to that. It was worse than when Hugo Strange was completely overshadowed in Arkham City. At the very least, Black Mask should've stayed a bit more relevant after Joker made his appearance. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Nah.

Black Mask is a filler villain, not something Batman ever particularly struggles with. Joker jobbed him out in Under The Red Hood a couple years earlier, too.

MartyStu

Huh I had no idea of his relationship with Shield. Think I need to read up on him I've only really experienced him through cameos.

All the bad things Scott did and it was Beast who got a house call from The Watcher telling him how fucked he is.

Yeah, this was bullshit.

I am almost positive that Bendis does not like Hank. A ton of the shitty things he has done has been under his watch.

And Cyclops is an asshole.

Wolverine may not be 'right' but at least he is not walking around on his high horse--unless Bendis is writing him. God, I hate what Bendis has done to the X-Men.

and that Batman just has the most overrated
I wouldn't say overrated but i'd say Batman's biggest bad while still extremely popular(probably top 3 comic characters himself) is so beyond played out at this point.
In every medium at that.

Im the biggest Batman fan around but i'd be fine with Joker having zero appearances in anything(cartoons, comics, movies, DTVs) for the next 5+ years.

Slayven

I wouldn't say overrated but i'd say Batman's biggest bad while still extremely popular(probably top 3 comic characters himself) is so beyond played out at this point.
In every medium at that.

Im the biggest Batman fan around but i'd be fine with Joker having zero appearances in anything(cartoons, comics, movies, DTVs) for the next 5+ years.

For real, Joker has no characterization, he is literally a plot device at this point.

K3zGvkA.jpg

Fantastic.

Also, Hugo Weaving won't come back to portray Red Skull. If I recall correctly, it's because he didn't enjoy the role. On top of that, he offered to reshoot the footage of himself that he though was terrible for free and they said "Nah it's fine." Now, whether that last one is a good reason is up to you, but he didn't like the role and the final outcome.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Marz

Wtf these villains suck. Batman takes the title of best rogue gallery with ease, no matter how played out some of them are.

kswiston

Wtf these villains suck. Batman takes the title of best rogue gallery with ease, no matter how played out some of them are.

Sometimes I wonder how much of this comes down to the characters having the most coverage in other media. Two face and a few other Batman villains are good, well fleshed out characters, but what is inherently amazing about the Penguin or Killer Croc?

Sometimes I wonder how much of this comes down to the characters having the most coverage in other media. Two face and a few other Batman villains are good, well fleshed out characters, but what is inherently amazing about the Penguin or Killer Croc?
Well Penguin is getting much more popular thanks to Gotham. I've never found a lot of Batman's villains to be compelling. Ra's al Ghul and Mr. Freeze will always win in my heart, though. Even then, my love for Freeze stems from Batman The Animated Series.

Slayven

99% of it

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Batman & Spider-Man to name but two guys who have a much better rogue's gallery than Capt

kswiston

One thing that these lesser known rogues have over the standard Batman/Spider-man stuff is they are more open to permanent development that doesn't get reset whenever a new creative/editorial team wants to relive their childhood.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Thats pretty much it. Spider man batman have a lot of filler villains, but are constantly called the best.

pulga

Banned
Jonathan Hickman's run

Hickman's

Thanks guys.

Thats pretty much it. Spider man batman have a lot of filler villains, but are constantly called the best.

Like I said earlier on in the thread, at least Batman creators still manage to come up with great, iconic villains every once in a while, which is more than can be said for other heroes.

Great thing about Batman is how people are still creating great, even iconic villains for him in the modern age.

Hush
225px-Hushx.jpg

Professor Pyg
Prof_Pyg.jpg

Court of Owls + Talon
court-of-owls-gotham-the-villains-we-want-to-see-court-of-owls-edition.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom