• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In lieu of buying a next-gen console I've decided to set up a PC in my living room.

belmonkey

Definitely get an SSD to make the PC run faster in general, but also to greatly increase the start-up speed. Used to be a pain waiting for my computer to restart because it took so long before, but now I can turn it on and be on Neogaf within 45 sec (and mine is running at half speed too).

If you want a true living room experience:

1. Get Windows 8 and an SSD harddrive for some amazing boot times.
2. Install XBMC (Xbox Media Center)
3. Install XBMC Launcher (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798) so you can boot directly into XBMC, instead of the Windows Shell.
4. Install Advanced Launcher (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724) so you can launch directly into any Windows application (batch files included) directly from XBMC. You can have it launch directly into Netflix, Hulu, Console Emulators, Steam Big Picture Mode, etc.
5. Purchase a XBMC compatible remote control, like this for example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00224ZDFY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and download EventGhost (http://www.eventghost.org) and then you can set any remote control input to output as a keyboard key. You make it so that a single remote button press will execute a batch file, which makes its possibilities basically endless. For example, maybe have a button that terminates XBMC and starts up Explorer.exe so you can use it as a computer once again. And on the flip side, a button that kills explorer.exe and starts up XBMC.exe.
6. Install Plex Media Server so you can use MyPlex to view your locally stored media from anywhere.
God's honest truth.

I'm still in a mixed use for my PC (between a PC monitor in the office and the TV+receiver combo in the living room) and yeah, I'd definitely recommend a nicely tuned XBMC+remote.

I've been using XBMC for over a year and I can't imagine going back to any other media solution.

Edit: and yeah, a system SSD, I'd argue it's overall the biggest improvement I've seen in computers since forever.

Best thing about hooking a pc up to your tv is having a worthy media hub
trying to stream stuff through consoles is so primitive, lacking in features and downright bad that it's not worth the effort

Alex

trying to stream stuff through consoles is so primitive, lacking in features and downright bad that it's not worth the effort

The only solid streaming "box" I've had was a Roku 3 with Plex. Took me way too long to find out about that option.

mcrommert

Banned
Plex is by far the best way to organize your media. If you want to test as a dry run a server already built out with media you are welcome to testing using mine...just pm me and i'll get you added to my share

Mihos

Gold Member
I put an X51 on the TV in the bedroom, It is really hard to play anything else for me now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Or run plex on your computer and stream via DLNA to your PS3 or 360

Also if you get a pulse eight USB adapter,you can control plex or xbmc via your normal TV remote using HDMI CEC

UnrealEck

Definitely get an SSD to make the PC run faster in general, but also to greatly increase the start-up speed. Used to be a pain waiting for my computer to restart because it took so long before, but now I can turn it on and be on Neogaf within 45 sec (and mine is running at half speed too).

Put it in sleep mode instead of shutting it down. I can go from the PC being asleep, come into the room, hit a button and be playing a game in less than a minute. Timed it with Tomb Raider. Took something like 35 seconds to get from PC off to being in-game and controlling the character.

Kinthalis

Banned
If it wasn't for the wife wanting access to cable channels and XBMC's inability to use cable card tuners for live TV, I'd be runnign that over crappy windows Media Center on my HTPC.

Any options to get rid of MEdia center and still have access to cable channels via a cable card tuner?

Get a card with 3GBs VRam.

I only have two. :(

You guys are making my GTX760 feel inadequate.

I assume though, that my motherboard, cpu, and 750w power supply give me some weight to throw around should I want to upgrade significantly in a couple years?

Any tips on where to start with Wii/GC/PS2 emulation?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I only have two. :(

You guys are making my GTX760 feel inadequate.

I assume though, that my motherboard, cpu, and 750w power supply give me some weight to throw around should I want to upgrade significantly in a couple years?

Any tips on where to start with Wii/GC/PS2 emulation?

Yes, lots of headroom. Throw in another 760 for SLI or swap it out for something in a year or two

catabarez

What can I expect from SLI? Is two of these GPUs in SLI preferable to spending an extra $150 on the GTX770 4GB?

SLI brings up problems that would not occur with a single card. I would wait until the next line of cards come out before upgrading. A 670 will do fine until then.

I plan to do the same: I'm skipping PS4/XboxOne and saving money for a PC, to me the main draw is the fact that I mainly buy digital and buying digital on console never felt particularly convenient or "safe" (on the long term), while GOG, Steam and so on offer so much value to justify the higher price tag of a gaming PC.

The only thing I hope for is that they will improve the auto tuning of graphic specs to let me able to play the game without much tweaking, and the controller support: a lot of games have "partial" controller support, meaning that you can use the controller to play the game but sometimes there are windows that appear at game launch that need mouse operation, and sometimes you need to enable the controller in some setup menu.

If you want a true living room experience:

1. Get Windows 8 and an SSD harddrive for some amazing boot times.
2. Install XBMC (Xbox Media Center)
3. Install XBMC Launcher (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798) so you can boot directly into XBMC, instead of the Windows Shell.
4. Install Advanced Launcher (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724) so you can launch directly into any Windows application (batch files included) directly from XBMC. You can have it launch directly into Netflix, Hulu, Console Emulators, Steam Big Picture Mode, etc.
5. Purchase a XBMC compatible remote control, like this for example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00224ZDFY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and download EventGhost (http://www.eventghost.org) and then you can set any remote control input to output as a keyboard key. You make it so that a single remote button press will execute a batch file, which makes its possibilities basically endless. For example, maybe have a button that terminates XBMC and starts up Explorer.exe so you can use it as a computer once again. And on the flip side, a button that kills explorer.exe and starts up XBMC.exe.
6. Install Plex Media Server so you can use MyPlex to view your locally stored media from anywhere.

<3 This is exactly what I wanted.

you know there are HTPC remotes, you don't have to have a full keyboard/mouse in front of the TV

rii-remote-20100305-600.jpg

I have a question regarding this build.

My my case has a bunch of fans which have 3 pin connectors. My MOBO only has one 3 pin slot.

I plugged all the fans into the 4 pin holes. They seem to fit.

Do I need adapters though?

knitoe

I have a question regarding this build.

My my case has a bunch of fans which have 3 pin connectors. My MOBO only has one 3 pin slot.

I plugged all the fans into the 4 pin holes. They seem to fit.

Do I need adapters though?

It's fine. 4pin fans can change rpm speeds through your MB. While, the 3pin only run at constant speeds.

Honest PC Gaming question: Is Windows 7 or 8 ideal for present day PC gaming, with libraries on services like Steam or Origin?

I seem to remember not-so-positive reactions to 8, but I'm honestly not too knowledgeable in their differences as far as gaming goes.

Thanks! So far I only have the stock fans in the corsair 200 and the stock cpu fan installed. Would it be a good idea to invest in some more? The case can accommodate fans on the top and side.

Honest PC Gaming question: Is Windows 7 or 8 ideal for present day PC gaming, with libraries on services like Steam or Origin?

I seem to remember not-so-positive reactions to 8, but I'm honestly not too knowledgeable in their differences as far as gaming goes.

I went with 8. Both were options for me. I ended with 8 because of Dat speed. Also, 8 isn't that different.

Wray

Question for XMBC users. Is there something I can do to improve the performance of the actual video player? It chokes on large files and just stutters constantly. And by big files, I mean like 15gb BR Rips. I've been ripping my Blu-Rays Movies and TV Series and just keeping the source file on my hdd to play. I don't want to encode them at all, since hdd space is so cheap nowadays.

Note, that I can play those files fine in VLC Player or Media Player Classic.

Ouroboros

Moving my old PC to the living room as well. Got a cheap 7870 to crossfire with another I already had to make sure I can run some newer games in the future in the living room.

But my better rig is in the 'man cave'.

Thanks to this forum for guiding me in this direction. Over a week later and I'm still psyched. I could not be any happier with my decision to skip the console nonsense this time around. Nothing beats the game playing abilities and general utility of a solid desktop computer. Nothing, I say.

Wish I had a wireless controller. That's the only thing. Using a wired XBox 360 controller right now and it doesn't stretch as far as I need it to.

Is there anyway to use the controller for navigation in Windows? It'd be fantastic if I could set it up so that when I press a button it opens a quick menu of things like Steam, Origin, UPlay, XBMC etc.

Speaking of UPlay. I resent it. And origin. Both suck hard compared to Steam. I hate being forced to have multiple of these applications. I wish it could be consolidated to just Steam.

LilJoka

Nice one OP, ice made the same decision recently too.

Some tips, enable wake by PCIe in bios, enable wake from S5 (shutdown) in the device manager for the Intel LAN adaptor. Now use a mobile app to send WOL packets. You can now WOL your PC from shutdown with your phone via wifi.

Try Xpadder to map windows keys to your controller. I have it setup so when I hold LB a different profile is used so that it doesn't interfere with games.

I have 2 PCs in my lounge, one for steam big picture mode, one completely silent HTPC with XBMC. This PC has CIR builtin so I can use a Windows MCE remote to turn it on from shutdown.

For the guy having trouble playing 15gb Blu Ray rips, are you playing off the network or local storage and what CPU?

It's been a couple weeks. I fucking love it so far. I'm considering a couple things.

1. I regret not getting a better GPU (GTX760 2GB). I can't go back now but I CAN add another of the same GPU and run in SLI.

Will my PSU (750w) be able to handle two GTX760s in SLI? CPU is i7-4770K and I intend to overclock. Which leads me to question #2.

Where to start? I've never overlooked before. I want to start out conservatively so I figure I ought to get cooler better than stock. I'm looking at the Corsair liquid cooling systems. I naturally want to get a good one. I'm looking at the H105 240mm which will fit my Corsair 200 I believe. It's almost twice as expensive as the H60 though. Overkill much? Will I see performance gains in games?

For that matter, what about overclocking the GPU? Any opinions on this?

Top Bottom