• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that switched from console to PC - thoughts on your choice?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m probably going to get flamed as I’m a unicorn I guess, but I’ve been considering and slowly moving from pc to consoles.

Reasons for that are as follows in no order.

1. Most of the games I play are fps, action rpg and after working all day with computers I want to sit in a comfy lounger and use a controller. I don’t want to rely on big picture mode.

2. While cheaters persist on all platforms the pc is just way to easy and multiplayer games are filled with them briefing and running the experience for me. Yes I suck and need to get better…

3. HDR on pc is still a mess compared to consoles.

4. Crappy pc port: filled with stutters and jank on top end hardware.

5. I have a weird addiction to pc settings where instead of gaming I spend hours tweaking settings trying to get more frames and perfecting the game than I ever do playing games.

6. Quick resume

7. Constantly having to update graphics drivers and dealing with shader cache bull.

8. Controller disconnects even with proper Xbox wireless adapter it’s like this thing loses connections weekly.

9. Space and wire clutter

10. Multiple storefronts and launches / DRM

Yes a lot of these can be simple fixes, but when added up it make gaming a pain if you play a lot of titles. If you just play 1-2 games it’s fine but I don’t I have a large collection of problems.

Yes I can’t do mods etc but if I’m being honest I like the idea of mod more than I even have used them.

At the end of the day I like the simplicity, quickness, and cleanliness of console gaming. I’m can buy two systems one for basement and one for living room and move freely or with handheld stream them to me easier than pc with sunshine etc.

Your mileage may very and my choice isn’t right for others but this is why I am liking consoles more and more. I’m getting older and don’t want to mess around during my game time with all the other crap anymore!
As someone with good pc and ps5 who also moved mostly to ps5:
1,2. if you are fine playing fps games with controller then sure. And less cheaters at les ton ps5/xsx only games. ps4 games have cheaters.
3. HDR is not THAT much different on pc honestly. It's a bit of an overstatement. Althoug whole 2023 and nvidia has still not fixed hdr issue and I have to restart my pc almost every time to get hdr to work... and when i do sometimes there is something wrong with peak brighytness and calibrations come out weirs. but it was all FINE 2022... so maybe just a case with 3080 and nvdia.
4. True. pc ports are crappy. Some are great like RE4 remake for example.... although I've had my share of problems with it too.
5.Exactly the same. I used to have a mild OCD. I used to go to settings, recheck everything. Reclick apply and then after 3 minutes again go there and recheck. Even now when replaying Half Life2 I do that... And it's an ancient game. i dont have any problems with it or it's performance. And in new games with problems (like re4 remake was on release) I will check settings, compare and optimize. I don't like not knowing what setting does. Consoles 90% cure my ocd. Very powerful pc hardawre also cures your OCD a bit. When my 3080 was new, my settings addicion was way lessened. Still almost non existent on console.
6.I don't use that since I'veheard that it's buggy but it's absolutely there. Quick resume, load from sleep or dash. You can install games in rest mode through your phone. It's all good.
7.in b4 "you are dumb drivers install in 3 minutes automatically you dumb bitch"... I don't use geforce experience. It's cancer. So I intall drivers manually and sure, it takes 2 minutes but it does clear your shader cache and some games do not recheck cache properly - limited issue.
8. Maybe use different usb port? I use x series controller + official dongle and never had it disconnect.
9.Wires are doable. Also my ocd. but I got so good at it, I've been called to friends to help them cable manage. I actually kinda like it... but it's true - way less cables with console and tv.
10. I just dont use epic and I hate all other stores. gog and steam are good. Other games I just avoid or get on console.

For all those reasons + there always something. Always. Oh but you gotta use 117hz cap for optimal vrr! oh you gotta force vsync on globally! oh you have to disable x16 af for this one game since it break something! There is always something. thankfully pcgamingwiki exists and it's always 2-5minute research.... unless it's re4 remake crashing on release and nobody knows why :p

Ps5 also got seamless 3d audio, dualsense full features wirelessly, uses 200w power, it's silent, HAS PHYSICAL GAMES and it's just plug and play.
Now it also supports 120hz, 40fps, vrr, unlocked fps in some games. A bit too much options but it's all good.
And there are people complaining about "oh but pc is so much better picture quality"... yeah no dlss but then again - This is ps5.
Just an example hogwarts 40fps mode (sub 4k), ff16 quality and Eden Ring Performance mode... like... yeah maybe pc is even sharper but at this point, what does it matter lol. if a game is not using fsr2 too heavily, it looks great.

ABFUugs.jpg

r8LAO3p.jpg

XSfa6Zo.jpg

And of course forpsoken quality 120hz/40fps mode. The game uses a ton of FSR2 so it can break up in motion but in general - the image quality is still vert decent.
hCTCUEv.jpg

Like... one cannot just look at these shots and say "but pc looks so much better". yeah.. pc looks better but at this point you gotta ask yourself if you care about that 2% difference.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
As someone with good pc and ps5 who also moved mostly to ps5:
1,2. if you are fine playing fps games with controller then sure. And less cheaters at les ton ps5/xsx only games. ps4 games have cheaters.
3. HDR is not THAT much different on pc honestly. It's a bit of an overstatement. Althoug whole 2023 and nvidia has still not fixed hdr issue and I have to restart my pc almost every time to get hdr to work... and when i do sometimes there is something wrong with peak brighytness and calibrations come out weirs. but it was all FINE 2022... so maybe just a case with 3080 and nvdia.
4. True. pc ports are crappy. Some are great like RE4 remake for example.... although I've had my share of problems with it too.
5.Exactly the same. I used to have a mild OCD. I used to go to settings, recheck everything. Reclick apply and then after 3 minutes again go there and recheck. Even now when replaying Half Life2 I do that... And it's an ancient game. i dont have any problems with it or it's performance. And in new games with problems (like re4 remake was on release) I will check settings, compare and optimize. I don't like not knowing what setting does. Consoles 90% cure my ocd. Very powerful pc hardawre also cures your OCD a bit. When my 3080 was new, my settings addicion was way lessened. Still almost non existent on console.
6.I don't use that since I'veheard that it's buggy but it's absolutely there. Quick resume, load from sleep or dash. You can install games in rest mode through your phone. It's all good.
7.in b4 "you are dumb drivers install in 3 minutes automatically you dumb bitch"... I don't use geforce experience. It's cancer. So I intall drivers manually and sure, it takes 2 minutes but it does clear your shader cache and some games do not recheck cache properly - limited issue.
8. Maybe use different usb port? I use x series controller + official dongle and never had it disconnect.
9.Wires are doable. Also my ocd. but I got so good at it, I've been called to friends to help them cable manage. I actually kinda like it... but it's true - way less cables with console and tv.
10. I just dont use epic and I hate all other stores. gog and steam are good. Other games I just avoid or get on console.

For all those reasons + there always something. Always. Oh but you gotta use 117hz cap for optimal vrr! oh you gotta force vsync on globally! oh you have to disable x16 af for this one game since it break something! There is always something. thankfully pcgamingwiki exists and it's always 2-5minute research.... unless it's re4 remake crashing on release and nobody knows why :p

Ps5 also got seamless 3d audio, dualsense full features wirelessly, uses 200w power, it's silent, HAS PHYSICAL GAMES and it's just plug and play.
Now it also supports 120hz, 40fps, vrr, unlocked fps in some games. A bit too much options but it's all good.
And there are people complaining about "oh but pc is so much better picture quality"... yeah no dlss but then again - This is ps5.
Just an example hogwarts 40fps mode (sub 4k), ff16 quality and Eden Ring Performance mode... like... yeah maybe pc is even sharper but at this point, what does it matter lol. if a game is not using fsr2 too heavily, it looks great.

And of course forpsoken quality 120hz/40fps mode. The game uses a ton of FSR2 so it can break up in motion but in general - the image quality is still vert decent.

Like... one cannot just look at these shots and say "but pc looks so much better". yeah.. pc looks better but at this point you gotta ask yourself if you care about that 2% difference.
If you're going to show off, pick games with a good IQ. Those photos look like fucking turds with lower than PS4 era resolutions. WTF is FF XVI running at? 900p? It looks horrible. You're certainly not making a good case for the PS5 with those awful pictures.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If you're going to show off, pick games with a good IQ. Those photos look like fucking turds with lower than PS4 era resolutions. WTF is FF XVI running at? 900p? It looks horrible. You're certainly not making a good case for the PS5 with those awful pictures.

Not to mention they’re all action games in 30 fps

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is clean pristine quality. Get real.
I just picked those shots on a whim. Look great to me and I have 48" tv on my desk. If this looked rough I WOULD SEE it.

Not to mention they’re all action games in 30 fps
Elden Ring is 60, Forspoken and Hogwarts are 40. ff16 is the only 30 in those shots.
What are you on again?

Gaiff

XSfa6Zo.jpg

Hey, look, an old-ass game, borderline indie game from 7 years ago that has better foliage than FF.

DF1k1VTU0AAUnZ0

This is clean pristine quality. Get real.
I just picked those shots on a whim. Look great to me and I have 48" tv on my desk. If this looked rough I WOULD SEE it.

Elden Ring is 60, Forspoken and Hogwarts are 40. ff16 is the only 30 in those shots.
What are you on again?
Bro, they look like ass. Are you joking?

This trash:

hCTCUEv.jpg

Looks better than this?

WSeeoCK.jpeg

Last edited:

King Dazzar

HDR problems was one reason I moved away from PC several years ago. But hasnt it been drastically improved in Windows 11? I'm a relic still on Windows 10 and dont need to touch HDR anymore on PC. But just wondering what issues you have with HDR these days and W11?

Zathalus

HDR problems was one reason I moved away from PC several years ago. But hasnt it been drastically improved in Windows 11? I'm a relic still on Windows 10 and dont need to touch HDR anymore on PC. But just wondering what issues you have with HDR these days and W11?
Its been fine for me and I'm on Win 11. Can't say there are anymore issues with displaying HDR content. Quite a bit improved from where it used to be.

I've yet to really test HDR with my new PC. I know it now works as in my tv now reports and HDR signal from Windows 11. But I need a game that really shows it off to test it out.

Do you play games or just fucking look at them?

Whats this about Xbox controller disconnects? Never had this issue.

I had it frequently enough for it to be a bother to me. I exclusively played with a controller so I never used a keyboard and mouse and I even purchased a new controller and adapter. Maybe it was just my motherboard, drivers, or something else who knows. What I do know is it wasn't worth me spending one more $1 or 1 more minute of my time on it anymore. I spent hours going over every possible solution for what could be happening. Found tons of people online having similar issues.

I had it frequently enough for it to be a bother to me. I exclusively played with a controller so I never used a keyboard and mouse and I even purchased a new controller and adapter. Maybe it was just my motherboard, drivers, or something else who knows. What I do know is it wasn't worth me spending one more $1 or 1 more minute of my time on it anymore. I spent hours going over every possible solution for what could be happening. Found tons of people online having similar issues.
I don't use any adapter, a regular Xbox series controller with Bluetooth connection. Works flawless every time on a Asus Z790 gaming wifi E motherboard.

JimboJones

PC can be annoying at times but on the whole I appreciate the freedom of it.
Consoles are still perfectly fine but they can be a a little suffocating with their limited options.

Tarnpanzer

Hey, how about another playthrough of Dead Space(2008)? Should run in 4K/60 on Series X?

-> Nope, no enhancement-patch, therefore 720p/30fps for u in 2023.

OK, I just a PC then. :messenger_unamused:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gave PC gaming time in 2010 when Battlefield 3 showed up

Clearly Neogaf has an agenda when it comes to pc gaming.

phant0m

tbh yes. There's no accounting for aesthetics and that Avatar shot just looks like crayola jungle puke.
could not disagree more my dude. Overall Avatar is mid but the visuals are gorgeous. I can see it being visually overstimulating for some but it's 100x better to look at than another barren brown/grey/sand fucking wasteland.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
PC can be annoying at times but on the whole I appreciate the freedom of it.
Consoles are still perfectly fine but they can be a a little suffocating with their limited options.

Yeah pc had its pluses really but I’m counting on next gen to break that barrier. I’m hoping for 4k/120 capabilities with full ray tracing and allowing full mouse and keyboard for all games. If when that happens pc’s will become irrelevant to me and a lot of users.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Best move I’ve ever made - and I was a diehard console gamer since the Atari 2600.
My PC library in the 8yrs since I’ve moved absolutely dwarfs three decades of what I ever had on consoles.

There are lots of good reasons, specially if you like old games
But the number one reason for me was Mods

Alien Isolation changed from unbearable to goty tier thanks to unpredictable alien mod

Beechos

I was console when I was young. Switched to pc during high school and college to join the master race and play all the fps that were not possible on consoles at the time. Building/owning a pc can be fun and frustrating at the same time. If you have time to tinker and shit to get every last bit of performance it feels very rewarding. Once something goes wrong it can be a super pain in the ass to troubleshoot especially hardware failure and reimaging.

I went back to console after having a family for the convience. Plug and play, most family/friends are on console, no time to tinker, easy troubleshooting.

Gaiff

You are just miserable. Thank god I am not this petty.
Other people can have fun and don't need to be so anal. You don't need to share your miserability with everyone
You're the one always bitching about something or something else. Want me to dig up your post history? I don't even know why you don't just sell off your PC if it's nothing but heartache and pain with it. Always fucking complaining. Your shots are awful and don't help your argument.

Do you play games or just fucking look at them?
How the hell can I play without looking at them? His screengrabs are shit-tier and don't work in his favor. FF XVI looks terrible and blurry there and he's trying to make a case with them. Least he could do is do his due diligence and provide actual quality screenshots.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

HDR is actually better on my Windows 11 PC than it is on my Xbox 🤷‍♂️. I don't like that you still can't display the Xbox Dashboard as SDR in an HDR container as it forces my TV to switch to HDR every time I start a game. On Windows 11, it's always outputting in HDR, but you configure the desktop/non-hdr apps to be displayed at SDR brightness/colors. So you don't have to deal with HDR/SDR switching.

That and on PC you can add HDR to virtually any game (with Special K) whereas on Xbox you're limited to what Microsoft adds Auto HDR to. Windows 11 has Auto HDR support as well, but you can add HDR to games that don't support Auto HDR on top of that.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

HDR is actually better on my Windows 11 PC than it is on my Xbox 🤷‍♂️. I don't like that you still can't display the Xbox Dashboard as SDR in an HDR container as it forces my TV to switch to HDR every time I start a game. On Windows 11, it's always outputting in HDR, but you configure the desktop/non-hdr apps to be displayed at SDR brightness/colors. So you don't have to deal with HDR/SDR switching.

That and on PC you can add HDR to virtually any game (with Special K) whereas on Xbox you're limited to what Microsoft adds Auto HDR to. Windows 11 has Auto HDR support as well, but you can add HDR to games that don't support Auto HDR as well.
Yeah I think the way Xbox abandoned the back compat Auto HDR bit after launch was disappointing. I mean we're in state where by older titles likely have Auto HDR, but any newer games dont. The only thing I love with both XSX and PS5 though. Is that HDR switching is automatic for me. I dont know if thats changed with W11? But back when I was PC gaming, some stuff would automatically trigger HDR and others you had to enable HDR in the OS first every time. Which was a pain. I get that you can keep the desktop in HDR all the time, but its not ideal in my mind. Thankfully my TV has no issues at all coming in and out of HDR, but I know what you're on about.

Soodanim

Gold Member
In the decade or so I've been playing on PC now, I rarely think I wish I was back on console.

To give examples of what PC is like for me:

Bought RE8. Comfy couch, easy. Except I hate all of the controller layouts Capcom made, and there's no remap. Shoddy design, but this is PC. Plug in my Steam Controller, download a config and modify, and now I'm having a great time with it. While I'm at it, I installed REframework and tweaked the vignette. In future playthroughs I'll likely disable it entirely and change the FOV just like I did in 7.

Bought God of War. Steam's getting better with DS4/5 support, so it informs me I can disable Steam Input for that game. Cool. I do so, plug in that controller, and off I go.

Bought Prey 2006. Old game, was recommended to me. Don't need to worry about backwards compat, just install and run at highest settings. With all of the resources available, getting older games up and running isn't really too involved if you know what you're doing and I'm happy to do it. As with RE8, I set up a Steam Controller config and off I go.

One downside is that getting my DS4 to work wirelessly with my PC broke during the update process for DS4Windows and associated software, which was a bit of a pain. It's nice to be without wires, but it's a minor inconvenience overall.

I do think about the possibility of switching back to console from time to time, but then I think about the downsides like paid online and what I would have to sacrifice. I do have to say though, these days it's more about losing what PC has to offer than what drives me away from consoles. Performance mode is huge for me.

At this point, I've got a hefty enough library on PC that it would be difficult to leave it behind - especially for a console that would end up being stored or replaced in a generation's time. All those physical games and the real world space they take up? Whether or not I get to play them is entirely down to a console manufacturer. At least with what I have I have some choice, even if I sacrifice peak convenience in the short term.

I just need to build a new PC, that's my biggest problem these days. The aged CPU is bottlenecking me into <60fps and I don't like it.

You're the one always bitching about something or something else. Want me to dig up your post history? I don't even know why you don't just sell off your PC if it's nothing but heartache and pain with it. Always fucking complaining. Your shots are awful and don't help your argument.

How the hell can I play without looking at them? His screengrabs are shit-tier and don't work in his favor. FF XVI looks terrible and blurry there and he's trying to make a case with them. Least he could do is do his due diligence and provide actual quality screenshots.
What I'm getting at is graphics aren't everything and people bring that shit up all the time. Graphics graphics graphics, fuck off with that bullshit. Sure there are better options he could have chosen but I would still rather play FFXVI then that Avatar trash.

Gaiff

What I'm getting at is graphics aren't everything and people bring that shit up all the time. Graphics graphics graphics, fuck off with that bullshit. Sure there are better options he could have chosen but I would still rather play FFXVI then that Avatar trash.
And you are right, but you have it backwards. It's rofif constantly complaining about IQ or something else. When we tell him to just go play on his far more powerful PC instead of his PS5, he then bitches about X or Y with his PC. It's like the dude looks for reasons to complain. I wonder if he ever enjoys games because half of his posts are some sort of negative commentary or criticisms.

Look at Alan Wake 2 for instance. He got it for PS5 and kept crying about the image quality. We just told him to get it on PC but I don't even think he did. Or it might have been another game. I don't keep track.

Point is; if you hate your PC so much, sell it off and only game on PS5. Don't post images with questionable quality, only to then turn around and complain about FSR/FSR2 or low resolution on consoles when you damn well know it's $400-500 and you know what you're getting compared to a 3080.

You'll almost never see me complain about the things he does.

Last edited:

welshrat

I’m probably going to get flamed as I’m a unicorn I guess, but I’ve been considering and slowly moving from pc to consoles.

Reasons for that are as follows in no order.

1. Most of the games I play are fps, action rpg and after working all day with computers I want to sit in a comfy lounger and use a controller. I don’t want to rely on big picture mode.

2. While cheaters persist on all platforms the pc is just way to easy and multiplayer games are filled with them briefing and running the experience for me. Yes I suck and need to get better…

4. Crappy pc port: filled with stutters and jank on top end hardware.

5. I have a weird addiction to pc settings where instead of gaming I spend hours tweaking settings trying to get more frames and perfecting the game than I ever do playing games.

6. Quick resume

7. Constantly having to update graphics drivers and dealing with shader cache bull.

8. Controller disconnects even with proper Xbox wireless adapter it’s like this thing loses connections weekly.

9. Space and wire clutter

10. Multiple storefronts and launches / DRM

Yes a lot of these can be simple fixes, but when added up it make gaming a pain if you play a lot of titles. If you just play 1-2 games it’s fine but I don’t I have a large collection of problems.

Yes I can’t do mods etc but if I’m being honest I like the idea of mod more than I even have used them.

At the end of the day I like the simplicity, quickness, and cleanliness of console gaming. I’m can buy two systems one for basement and one for living room and move freely or with handheld stream them to me easier than pc with sunshine etc.

Your mileage may very and my choice isn’t right for others but this is why I am liking consoles more and more. I’m getting older and don’t want to mess around during my game time with all the other crap anymore!
I am also in the same boat and have a very nice pc setup but I am a software developer and when I spend all week in front of my pc I would rather sit in my living room. I play mainly on ps5, Steam deck and pc in that order. Any game pass I obviously play on pc and double dip on big shooters like battlefield as I like to have options to play on both but generally I will prefer ps5. Still I guess choices is the best of all worlds.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I am also in the same boat and have a very nice pc setup but I am a software developer and when I spend all week in front of my pc I would rather sit in my living room. I play mainly on ps5, Steam deck and pc in that order. Any game pass I obviously play on pc and double dip on big shooters like battlefield as I like to have options to play on both but generally I will prefer ps5. Still I guess choices is the best of all worlds.

Yeah I’m getting more into consoles > GeForce Now for mmo’s and other genres I can’t play on consoles, and pc for the older stuff

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That's like your opinion. To me, those shots look great. There is not a single jaggy, image quality is pristine and graphics are fantastic.
What does that have to do with pc being pain in the ass, I really don't know and I don't care for your opinion.
We can leave it here. Not going anywhere

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I can see why someone would want to go either route. Both have positives and negatives that make it a subjective call.

PC
+ Infinite backwards compatibility (assuming you like tinkering)
+ Free online, just overall non-money grubbiness of Valve and Steam
+ Ultrawide
+ Best looking version of most games

- Hackers... hackers everywhere. Forget trying to play an older, niche FPS. 75% hackers.
- Digital only. Fuck digital only in general.
- Crap ports, shader caching, stutter, HDR weirdness

Console
+ For Sony/Nintendo, worthwhile exclusives
+ Simplicity of starting and playing a game, a large benefit when you don't have a ton of free time to tweak settings
+ Fewer hackers, even in older games
+ Physical games!

- Paid online
- Backwards compatibility not a given; no guarantee that next gen will support previous gens

JimboJones

Yeah pc had its pluses really but I’m counting on next gen to break that barrier. I’m hoping for 4k/120 capabilities with full ray tracing and allowing full mouse and keyboard for all games. If when that happens pc’s will become irrelevant to me and a lot of users.
Yeah it's looking better for consoles and hopefully they keep improving that stuff but I don't think we will ever get the fine granularity of controle that PCs offer.
It's aggravating when devs include some crappy post processing that you need to wait months just for them to get a simple patch through or when console manufacturers put in really weird limitations like not letting you use previous gen controllers on current systems, or not having really basic stuff like folders at launch, missing vrr or support for certain resolution standards.
I'm bracing myself to go through Switch 2 not having 1440p support like PS5 at launch 🙃.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The worst kind of opinion, is one you try to enforce on others. I could write a huge list of pros and cons of both platforms.
Except it's not an opinion. DF or VGtech counting pixels, frames, milliseconds are facts.

it's better because I can steal games from the platforms I say I hate so much" which is sad

It's not about stealing anything, it's about not running with crap performance and resolution/IQ while paying full/high prices.

I can see why someone would want to go either route. Both have positives and negatives that make it a subjective call.

PC
+ Infinite backwards compatibility (assuming you like tinkering)
+ Free online, just overall non-money grubbiness of Valve and Steam
+ Ultrawide
+ Best looking version of most games

- Hackers... hackers everywhere. Forget trying to play an older, niche FPS. 75% hackers.
- Digital only. Fuck digital only in general.
- Crap ports, shader caching, stutter, HDR weirdness

Console
+ For Sony/Nintendo, worthwhile exclusives
+ Simplicity of starting and playing a game, a large benefit when you don't have a ton of free time to tweak settings
+ Fewer hackers, even in older games
+ Physical games!

- Paid online
- Backwards compatibility not a given; no guarantee that next gen will support previous gens
Your list of negatives for console is funny. There are no crap ports and tons of games stuck with crap resolutions/IQ and performance and crap HDR???

Last edited:
I moved from consoles back to PC after 10+ years and it has been the best decision. I'm technologically illiterate so don't worry about it being "too complicated". YouTube and Reddit already have the answers for everything, and Steam is practically moron-proof.

You don't need a cutting-edge rig either to enjoy the massive benefits PC offers. I bought a laptop off amazon for $900 and play everything in 1080p/60fps from my couch with an Xbox controller.

Also in my experience, don't buy EA games on PC.

King Dazzar

Except it's not an opinion. DF or VGtech counting pixels, frames, milliseconds are facts.
Frame rate and graphical fidelity are important to me too. But they are not the entire experience for me when I game. Nor many others. I may well return to PC gaming myself some day. But it will never be without an understanding of why I also enjoy console gaming too. Its called having a balanced perspective.

There are lots of good reasons, specially if you like old games
But the number one reason for me was Mods

Alien Isolation changed from unbearable to goty tier thanks to unpredictable alien mod

I recently played Wasteland 2 which is an inexcusably broken piece of shit that was fixed by a mod.

Meanwhile on console you're stuck with the developer's vision- and developers are usually wrong.

Denton

I just need to build a new PC, that's my biggest problem these days. The aged CPU is bottlenecking me into <60fps and I don't like it.
AM4 was great with that, went from 2700X to 5800X3D in the same mobo and RAM, performance doubled and my bottleneck issues went away.

Last edited:
I recently went to the store Microcenter and had them build me a top of the line PC with a 4090 in it for around $4,000 to compliment my PS5.

Now that I've finally done it, that part of my life (wanting the best graphics possible and complaining about how certain games run) is in the past. I shouldn't have to worry about graphics (in theory) for at least another 10 to 15 years.

The ability to MOD games is HUGE! I immediately modded Battlefield V and removed every last spec of wokeness from the game. Now I just have a really fun WW2 Battlefield game.

Other games such as Red Dead 2 and Cyber Punk 2077 I am able to ram with highest graphics settings possible which is incredible.

I can now focus saving money for other important things in my life now such as my family, a newer car and potentially house at some point.

I ditched both my PS5 and Series X about 6 month ago for a high-end PC and I literally could not be happier about the switch.

I'm a couch gamer, and while it is definitely not as convenient as a console, I have it set up now where I can turn on my PC, navigate my entire library with a nice console-esque interface, and launch and play games all from a controller. 95% of the time when I play I never need to touch a keyboard or mouse.

You gotta be willing to spend the money though. I've got a high-end rig with a 4090, and I paid out the ass for it, but it was 100% worth it for me with gaming being my primary hobby.

Oh and I still have a Switch. I don't condone piracy, so I buy games on the Switch and dump them to my PC. Switch games are freaking INCREDIBLE at 4k.
Yep! This is how I use my PC as well.

Unless I'm playing a tactical shooter that doesn't feature controller support such as Squad or Rising Storm 2, I am playing my games with a wired Xbox controller with my PC hooked up to my 55" LG OLED E8 and 7.1.2 surround sound.

It's how I play Hell Let Loose as well as Battlefield on PC.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Both. If I had to choose one it would still be PC due to the sheer amount of games, storefronts, customizations and input options, but both are pretty sweet.

Nowadays consoles are really good, so for most console is a great choice. It’s a great time for gaming.

I started in the 80s on the NES, but by the late 80s early 90s, PC games had taken such a leap forward with games lie Civilization, X-Com, Warcraft, etc, that I went with the PC until the early 2000s, when the consoles caught up somewhat, and the hassle to getting games to run on my pc and not crash got to the point where in the 360/PS3 generation I went with consoles. But by the early 2010s, PC gaming against took another leap, and the OS stabilized enough that I no longer had to worry about getting games to work property, Nowadays all game eventually come to PC anyway, that plus the explosion of mods made PC a no brainer, my last console game was Dragon Age Inquisition.

soulbait

2023 and people still don't seem to know that cables exist.

2023 and people still don't seem to realize that different rooms might be seperated.

My office is downstairs and my media room is upstairs. Also, I do more than gaming on PC. I do side projects, photo/video editing, and more on my PC. Those things are not done well on on large TV/home theater environment.

But really, the main reason why I do not fully jump into gaming on PC is because I am on a PC all day. I program/architect all day sitting at a computer monitor at home. The last thing I want to do is continue that once I am off work. Once off work, I like to leave my office and enjoy the rest of my house. If all I wanted to do is sit in my office all day, and it is a nice office, I would have bought a way smaller house, LOL. Sure, PC gaming might be easier than it was before, but it can still be a pain in the ass. Consoles just work and is quick to jump in and out of.

Top Bottom