• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that switched from console to PC - thoughts on your choice?

Klik

I was a console player for more than a decade. Went from PS5 to PC(I5 12400f+rtx 3060ti) and it was the best thing i've done. Especially if you like simracing games and VR.

But yeah, also playing games at 144hz on 1440p monitor is amazing experience. Best thing of all you dont need a 4k monitor(1440p is great) and DLSS makes wonders for better fps. PC gaming is getting better and better

Last edited:

Mithos

2023 and people still don't seem to know that cables exist.
Can you with one single cable, no extenders etc, have 100+ feet hdmi or displayport cables and not loose signal?
Not everyone have the computers in the same room as where their TV's are or even on the same floor.

To send my computers signal to the TV in the "living room" I'd need 100+ feet of cable (to make it invisibly drawn and secure) and according to google (hdmi), for a 4K signal don't go over 10 feet, and 25 feet for 1080p.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I grew up with consoles until my family got our first PC in 1998/1999. I grew up adoring FPS games, and there were so many on PC that weren't anywhere else. So finally getting one made me so incredibly happy. From then on, while I still dabbled in consoles for exclusives, I primarily played on PC. Fast forward to modern day, and nothing has changed, in fact, PC has become my primary platform.

From mods of all forms, more options in games, and cheaper titles. Making the primary jump to PC has never felt like a bad choice at all. With each passing year I feel like it was the best choice more and more.

Fredrik

⌨️🕹️🎮
I used to be a 100% console gamer. Played on Commodore computers for about 10 years but from SNES to PS4 I was console only.

Today I’m a 5% console gamer and 95% PC and mostly satisfied about that transition.

➕
The upsides are almost always 100+ fps at the highest possible visuals, with possibility to tweak settings when needed, and as you mention - mods.
Bonus, I like having access to my games on Steam Deck as well with same saves.

➖
The downsides are sometimes bad ports and delayed games. And the cost is higher and I don’t feel like I upgrade any less often compared to consoles, there is FOMO kicking in everytime a new graphics tech is unveiled for a new graphics card generation.

🧠
Regarding complexity. I’ve tried custom shop built PCs and the last build I did myself. Custom builds are plug and play today. Building yourself is more complicated. But building is honestly like LEGO or Meccano, no real problems, pictures and text explain the procedure well enough, and youtube is there if that’s not enough.

But I’m not experienced enough to know where to set the limits, so for me it’s a problem to choose the right parts, in my current build some parts are overspeced, like a 1500W PSU for no real reason. Oh well.

In the end I would never swap back.

I've played PC and console since the 90s.. some games are just better on PC and some I prefer on console, so it really depends and I don't think that will ever change for me personally. I could never go one or the other.

captainpat

Been on pc since the ps4/xbone era. Aside from getting salty about a handle of console exclusives (*cough*bloodborne*cough*) no regrets. It will all come to pc soon enough anyway.

I guess the only drawback for me is that display selection if you wanna use a monitor is ass. All the good stuff is really expensive unless you wanna use a tv for monitor and even then that comes with it's own inconveniences.

But yea I'm not going back.

AndrewRyan

Long time console player ps2->360->ps3->ps4->ps5. Started with pc gaming around 2013 and now am near 100% pc. Main reason I still own a playstation is the huge PSN library.
Best part about pc gaming is Steam:
The sales,
incredible variety,
option to return within 2 weeks/2 hours,
competing stores,
games keep working for decades (permanent library),
modding/ save file sharing,
forums,
game stats,
steam deck

The best reason to own consoles IMO is the option to buy/sell used games and exclusives.

Fredrik

The best reason to own consoles IMO is the option to buy/sell used games and exclusives.
I’m all digital so I’m missing out on that.
The best reason to own consoles for me is getting access to console exclusives and having a silent box in the living room. But Steam Deck in a dock has started to compete with consoles on that last point for less demanding games.

StereoVsn

My main platform has been PC since early 90s. I have had consoles along the way and was more console then PC during some of those years when a lot of Japanese games didn’t make it and ports sucked.

I still have consoles (all three current gen and some retro) but PC is my main due to sheer flexibility and unwillingness to deal with 30FPS gameplay.

Oh and yeah, hooking up a PC to TV is fairly easy now days.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Switched from Xbox and PS4 to PC in 2018. I find it very difficult not to look like PCMR fanboy nowadays. I just telling myself to stay humble. It's expensive but once the money is spent...you kinda forget about it honestly.

Last edited:
With the exception of prices, it's the best time to jump into pc gaming. I got back in this year, hadn't really gamed on pc since the early 2000s. I think Max Payne was one of the last pc games I played and it was 20+ years ago.

Up until recently, consoles had so much to offer that just wasn't on pc but with game pass and the ps titles slowly trickling in, you get the best of both worlds.

Side note, Max Payne is broken on steam and I still can't play this thing 20 years later.

I absolutely, absolutely love it. Build my pc I september I, should have done it wayyy sooner. The free games I have gotten, the easy way to upgrade your games with mods, the low game prices especially during sales. Pcgamingwiki is your friend when gaming on pc.

You can just as easily play from your couch with a pc as a console, especially when using a controller. Just buy a wireless mouse and keyboard. I navigate the mouse on the couch, click the game and I'm off.

I would only advise against it if you're an absolute dweep with computers in general.

Boss Man

I did it twice and I went back to console within a year both times. Building the PC and running benchmarks was the most fun part.

I wanted to make the best bang-for-buck gaming PC, which frankly is just buying a console. I also kept trying to set up my PC to behave like a console. Mouse and keyboard are inherently bad input devices for playing on the couch. Small form factor PCs have too many overheating concerns. There also needs to be a proper gaming OS for PCs, maybe SteamOS is there now not sure. Things like the Nvidia "settings optimizer" are a good push.

PC gaming is just not the same experience though. It has a lot of pros too though obviously, I think the biggest is Steam and game prices in general. Having a more open system for tinkering is a preference IMO (I like my personal devices at home to be closed and polished), but many do prefer it with good reason. I also really enjoy strategy games, which are barely available on console and play better with mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
BS, I have a 15m optical HDMI cable that carries 4K 120Hz signal from my PC to my living room TV.
That’s only 50ft. So with bends ( with optical you are suppose to loop the bends ) securing it and then running it cleanly to your tv you get what 20 to 30 feet total to work with?
Also How do you get usb?

Best thing is to just build a dedicated gaming pc and hide it in the room where you play. That’s what I do.

Maybe one day kvm over ether will be good enough but it’s just not there yet.

I've played on both PC and Console since I was a little lad in the late 90s.

I've tried to make PC my main platform multiple times, but it never really stuck. I'm probably 60% PS and 40% PC. Different platforms for different games, and both platforms have their positives and negatives.

The glory days of PC are behind us IMO, but I think the best era of gaming in general was Gen 6 so I guess it's behind us in general.

PC Gaming has incredible highs and incredible lows but overall I think the lows outweigh the highs. Now isn't a great time for PC IMO.

Edit: This thread is gonna end up the exact same way these threads always end up.

Last edited:

baphomet

Outside a few PS5 exclusives, I only game on PC.

I think I've turned on my Series X literally once the day I bought it.

SenkiDala

You can game at the desk or the couch. People really need to stop thinking as a PC as a gaming machine, a computer is essential in today's working from home lifestyle. You need zoom, you need word, and you need to browse the web and multitask for research. So why not get a PC that can also play games? Really the argument makes no sense to me of "I don't want a PC I can play games on blah blah" ok so then how do you write your word documents?
What is that idea that EVERYBODY needs "zoom and word", why ? In my work I need outlook and teams but it's also usable on a Mac so I don't understand this point.

PC gaming is fun until you run into unoptimized games, which is pretty frequent imo.
I mainly enjoy playing my mmo's on PC rather than on a console.
This to me, except the MMO part (it is not my type of games, and I tried, but it bothers me). Since I am a young teen I built my own PCs (that I played alongside with consoles) until a couple of years ago when I got tired of it, games crashing, need to tweak games, tweak drivers, etc etc etc, it is just annoying, and no it is not about I "dunno how to use a computer" (I've been working on securing network infrastructures for quite some time, I'm ok with installing a steam game). Last time was yeah like 1 or 2 years ago I spent my whole weekend tweaking some files because a game (bought officially on steam) kept crashing on the press start screen... When I realized I did nothing but searching workaround for that shit all weekend I thought "I'll be fine with my ps5/XSX/Switch".

Last edited:
You can game at the desk or the couch. People really need to stop thinking as a PC as a gaming machine, a computer is essential in today's working from home lifestyle. You need zoom, you need word, and you need to browse the web and multitask for research. So why not get a PC that can also play games? Really the argument makes no sense to me of "I don't want a PC I can play games on blah blah" ok so then how do you write your word documents?
The vast majority of people don't write word documents in 2023 lol. Hell the vast majority of people I know don't use a computer at all, and simply use iPads as their primary "computing device".

My PC is 95% games, and 5% browsing the web because I'm already sitting at my desk and too lazy to grab the cable to connect my MacBook to my display. Windows is a shit OS, and if it wasn't for PC gaming I would never own a PC every again.
I did it twice and I went back to console within a year both times. Building the PC and running benchmarks was the most fun part.

I wanted to make the best bang-for-buck gaming PC, which frankly is just buying a console. I also kept trying to set up my PC to behave like a console. Mouse and keyboard are inherently bad input devices for playing on the couch. Small form factor PCs have too many overheating concerns. There also needs to be a proper gaming OS for PCs, maybe SteamOS is there now not sure.

PC gaming is just not the same experience. It has a lot of pros too though obviously, I think the biggest is Steam and game prices in general. Having a more open system for tinkering is a preference IMO (I like my personal devices at home to be closed and polished), but many do prefer it with good reason. I also really enjoy strategy games, which are barely available on console and play better with mouse and keyboard.
It's funny you mention the benchmark, and the console setup parts because that's my experience as well. To this day I spend way more time staring at the FPS counter while I'm playing.

I switched to ITX about 2 years ago or so (Lian Li Dan A4 H2O, 3600 originally but now 5600x, 3060ti) partly because I hate PC cases (disgusting, ugly, huge pieces of shit covered in RGB in general), partly due to practicing minimalism, and partly because I wanted a more console like experience. My PC moves back and forth between my desk and beside my TV stand occasionally and I set Windows to login without a password and launch Steam at startup into Big Picture Mode to get as close to a console experience as possible. Part of this is because I hate Windows but also because I just prefer pressing a button and playing a game. It's just overall a much more enjoyable experience and I wish I could get my PC to turn on with my Dualsense.

MikeM

Have a 7900xt PC and a PS5. I would never be one or the other as I feel one platform is better at some things than others.

To me, and perhaps not you, my PC reminds me of my work laptop which makes me struggle a bit mentally with separating work/life. Maybe this doesn’t apply to you, but something to consider if it does.

PC is superior to console in almost every way so long as you have the ability to troubleshoot, which depending on your knowledge or patience may or may not be something you’ll want to deal with.

Ultimately, I split my time between console and PC because PS reminds me of my childhood and I don’t need 4k ultra settings (60fps is a minimum tho) to have a good time. Gaming, for me, is about enjoying the experience regardless of where I play.

King Dazzar

Part of this is because I hate Windows but also because I just prefer pressing a button and playing a game. It's just overall a much more enjoyable experience and I wish I could get my PC to turn on with my Dualsense.
Yeah I still have a custom PC hooked up in my lounge. But its just a web browsing, media PC. I gave up PC gaming just due to too much faffing. I'd spend a lot of hours either tinkering to get every bit of performance out of a crappy port, modding, or creating mods. And I loved it. But after many years I just wanted a more faff free experience, focused around a game pad, which is my preferred gaming format, rather than mouse & keyboard. One of the biggest anchor points for me with a PS5, is the dualsense edge, which I adore. And whilst I'm aware I could again, return to modding and tinkering to get the haptics and adaptive triggers to work with several PC games. On my PS5 it all just works, and works wirelessly without any hassle at all.

I've been tempted with Steam Big Picture as it has been improved. But it's still not as good as my home screen experience on the PS5. And one final thing, I love achievements/trophies on both XSX and PS5. Its an illusion. But I enjoy thinking that I've made progress with my gaming. Steam achievements just arent the same for me.

Now if I could have a multitude of PlayStation consoles, across numerous budgets. That would be superb.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I do almost all my gaming on PC now. I like running games at way higher settings than you can get on consoles, + mods, + just an insane amount of indie games and fun lower priced stuff on Steam.

I have a Switch that gets some use, and a PS5 that hasn’t been turned on since July. PC + Switch is a fantastic combo that has you covered unless you are really into Sony first party games and can’t wait for the PC versions.

Steam deck is awesome as well.

Hohenheim

Last year I got my first gaming PC since 2004, and since then my consoles have pretty much only been used for streaming tv series and movies + Zelda and FF16.
The two puch combo of a good desktop PC and a portable PC (Legion Go for me), is pretty much perfect.

Hard to go back to consoles after getting used to the higher FPS and endless possibilities on PC.

Elden Ring is a good example.
I'm playing it in 120+ FPS, with greatly improved colours and details, thanks to mods and reshade.
And Alan Wake 2 in 60FPS 4K.

I like the older consoles a lot, from the time when consoles actually had their own character.
Now they're bascically lower speced PCs without most of the freedom PC actually gives.

That being said, i'll be there day 1 for the new Nintendo, and will probably get a PS5 Pro too.
But for gaming in general, 90% is PC for me.

Last edited:

MikeM

Yeah I still have a custom PC hooked up in my lounge. But its just a web browsing, media PC. I gave up PC gaming just due to too much faffing. I'd spend a lot of hours either tinkering to get every bit of performance out of a crappy port, modding, or creating mods. And I loved it. But after many years I just wanted a more faff free experience, focused around a game pad, which is my preferred gaming format, rather than mouse & keyboard. One of the biggest anchor points for me with a PS5, is the dualsense edge, which I adore. And whilst I'm aware I could again, return to modding and tinkering to get the haptics and adaptive triggers to work with several PC games. On my PS5 it all just works, and works wirelessly without any hassle at all.

I've been tempted with Steam Big Picture as it has been improved. But it's still not as good as my home screen experience on the PS5. And one final thing, I love achievements/trophies on both XSX and PS5. Its an illusion. But I enjoy thinking that I've made progress with my gaming. Steam achievements just arent the same for me.

Now if I could have a multitude of PlayStation consoles, across numerous budgets. That would be superb.
I feel you on the achievements/trophies. Consoles just hit the right way in that regard.

Warablo

PSU and motherboard fried only after about 3 years.

There's no going back, but still worries you a lot more than a console.

SScorpio

2023 and people still don’t seem to know that some people need to have their PC in an office for reasons besides gaming

And that running a 100’ HDMI cable is not practical for many houses.
It's 2023 and people still don't seem to know it's possible to have more than one PC in a house.

Have a gaming rig connected to the TV just like a console would. And a laptop or mini PC to handle any needed office work. If you want to game in both places, use one of several streaming solutions, or have gaming PCs in both locations. It's acceptable to having consoles connected to different TVs, why wouldn't it be the same for PCs?

Mithos

BS, I have a 15m optical HDMI cable that carries 4K 120Hz signal from my PC to my living room TV.
So its not too accurate on google, good to know.

Then I should no problem be able to replace my HDMI in my computer room, and cable-manage it nice along the wall (behind or along the "skirting board" ?), instead of just diagonally across the floor like now because it's just a 5m cable, I'll need a 15m cable to have nice and neat cable managed to reach the TV that's in the same room as the computer (well 10-12m depending on going to the left or right from the computer).

If I had some Ethernet tools i could hook up to the Ethernet jacks in the living-room and the computer-room and measure the length between them and know exactly how long a HDMI between the two rooms would have to be to reach, but I bet it's at least 100+ feet.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Switched in the 90s and there was no return to consoles and all their crap limitations that should and could not even exist (like letting me choose resolutions, frame rates and controller types). Still use some consoles for some exclusives.
PC gaming is fun until you run into unoptimized games, which is pretty frequent imo.
And almost all of them are fixed or even if not fixed they still are better experiences over the console versions.

Last edited:

itsnotme

I switched back (I actually use both but prefer console) both have their goods and bads, but ultimately convenience won for me. No worse feeling then being excited to play a game and finding out it needs an update since I don’t have all the launches running on start

Fabieter

It's 2023 and people still don't seem to know it's possible to have more than one PC in a house.

Have a gaming rig connected to the TV just like a console would. And a laptop or mini PC to handle any needed office work. If you want to game in both places, use one of several streaming solutions, or have gaming PCs in both locations. It's acceptable to having consoles connected to different TVs, why wouldn't it be the same for PCs?

2023 and people on all platforms still try to convince other people of their own choice. If they think it doesn't match their setup just stop.

The vast majority of people don't write word documents in 2023 lol. Hell the vast majority of people I know don't use a computer at all, and simply use iPads as their primary "computing device".

My PC is 95% games, and 5% browsing the web because I'm already sitting at my desk and too lazy to grab the cable to connect my MacBook to my display. Windows is a shit OS, and if it wasn't for PC gaming I would never own a PC every again.

It's funny you mention the benchmark, and the console setup parts because that's my experience as well. To this day I spend way more time staring at the FPS counter while I'm playing.

I switched to ITX about 2 years ago or so (Lian Li Dan A4 H2O, 3600 originally but now 5600x, 3060ti) partly because I hate PC cases (disgusting, ugly, huge pieces of shit covered in RGB in general), partly due to practicing minimalism, and partly because I wanted a more console like experience. My PC moves back and forth between my desk and beside my TV stand occasionally and I

I switched to ITX about 2 years ago or so (Lian Li Dan A4 H2O, 3600 originally but now 5600x, 3060ti) partly because I hate PC cases (disgusting, ugly, huge pieces of shit covered in RGB in general), partly due to practicing minimalism, and partly because I wanted a more console like experience. My PC moves back and forth between my desk and beside my TV stand occasionally and I set Windows to login without a password and launch Steam at startup into Big Picture Mode to get as close to a console experience as possible. Part of this is because I hate Windows but also because I just prefer pressing a button and playing a game. It's just overall a much more enjoyable experience and I wish I could get my PC to turn on with my Dualsense.
lol what are you talking about? Of course people still compose documents in Word. The world functions on MS Office.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Switched in the 90s and there was no return to consoles and all their crap limitations that should and could not even exist (like letting me choose resolutions, frame rates and controller types). Still use some consoles for some exclusives.

And almost all of them are fixed or even if not fixed they still are better experiences over the console versions.
Fixed as in, having to do detective work in getting the game to run optimally because the developers can't bother to patch their busted ass game.
I already have to do all this for work, I don't want to have to continue that during my time off.

legacy24

overall pretty happy with the switch but some of the ports we get on PC are dog shit lol and also having those driver issues can be annoying.

The reason why I prefer PC gaming is because I want to have the best gaming performance I can get out of a game but this can get pretty expensive as you have to build a powerful one and the upgrades aren't cheap.

Other reasons are
- Not having to mess with lack of backwards compatibility, almost evey game is playable.

- I don't monopolize the TV

- Mods

As other have stated if money allows it you gotta do both consoles and pc.

Zathalus

Can you with one single cable, no extenders etc, have 100+ feet hdmi or displayport cables and not loose signal?
Not everyone have the computers in the same room as where their TV's are or even on the same floor.

To send my computers signal to the TV in the "living room" I'd need 100+ feet of cable (to make it invisibly drawn and secure) and according to google (hdmi), for a 4K signal don't go over 10 feet, and 25 feet for 1080p.
Sunshine/Moonlight game streaming is always a option if you want to give it a try. Assuming the PC has a Ethernet connection and the device you use to stream to your TV has Ethernet or 5Ghz Wifi you can stream 4k120fps.

Zathalus

A lot of these posts will need to be amended when GTA VI comes out.
Why? Its just one game, either play it on a console if you really want to or just wait a year if you can't stomach 30fps.

I'm sure it's going to be an amazing game but I'm not sure why some think it will be the second coming of Christ.

Top Bottom