• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People that switched from console to PC - thoughts on your choice?

soulbait

Plug both TV and monitor at the same time.

I did this in my old house where I had my office setup in the same room with a smaller home theater. Every game I had to fight with settings to get the output on the monitor or TV that I wanted it on at the time. I do not want to debug anything when I am trying to game for entertainment. I have to debug other people's shitty code all the time. I have to debug issues or try to find out why a newly built feature is not working correctly (usually due to a developer not following my design correctly). I get paid to do that. Why do I want to do it for free when I am trying to escape and have fun?

Also, in my current setup, that would not work. My home theater is up stairs, office is downstairs as mentioned before.

I am not looking for a solution for a problem I do not have. I simply do not enjoy gaming on PC. Others do. That is great for them. But everytime someone explains why they do not enjoy gaming on PC on this damn site, someone else tries to "solve" why they don't like it.

I am good; I have no problem that needs to be solved.

I enjoy console gaming more, even with the lower FPS, lower resolution, and lesser quality assets. At the end of the day, I just don't enjoy the PC gaming platform, and that is okay. Gaming is about entertainment and escape. I do not find some of the hiccups with PC gaming entertaining, where others do not like the hiccups with consoles. No one is wrong about what they like or do not like.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I did this in my old house where I had my office setup in the same room with a smaller home theater. Every game I had to fight with settings to get the output on the monitor or TV that I wanted it on at the time. I do not want to debug anything when I am trying to game for entertainment. I have to debug other people's shitty code all the time. I have to debug issues or try to find out why a newly built feature is not working correctly (usually due to a developer not following my design correctly). I get paid to do that. Why do I want to do it for free when I am trying to escape and have fun?

Also, in my current setup, that would not work. My home theater is up stairs, office is downstairs as mentioned before.

I am not looking for a solution for a problem I do not have. I simply do not enjoy gaming on PC. Others do. That is great for them. But everytime someone explains why they do not enjoy gaming on PC on this damn site, someone else tries to "solve" why they don't like it.

I am good; I have no problem that needs to be solved.

I enjoy console gaming more, even with the lower FPS, lower resolution, and lesser quality assets. At the end of the day, I just don't enjoy the PC gaming platform, and that is okay. Gaming is about entertainment and escape. I do not find some of the hiccups with PC gaming entertaining, where others do not like the hiccups with consoles. No one is wrong about what they like or do not like.
You don't have to keep both TV and monitor turned ON if you have whatever problem with the 2 at the same time.

But looks like you don't want simple solutions for simple problems as you already made your mind.

welshrat

2023 and people still don't seem to realize that different rooms might be seperated.

My office is downstairs and my media room is upstairs. Also, I do more than gaming on PC. I do side projects, photo/video editing, and more on my PC. Those things are not done well on on large TV/home theater environment.

But really, the main reason why I do not fully jump into gaming on PC is because I am on a PC all day. I program/architect all day sitting at a computer monitor at home. The last thing I want to do is continue that once I am off work. Once off work, I like to leave my office and enjoy the rest of my house. If all I wanted to do is sit in my office all day, and it is a nice office, I would have bought a way smaller house, LOL. Sure, PC gaming might be easier than it was before, but it can still be a pain in the ass. Consoles just work and is quick to jump in and out of.
Exactly the same boat. Built a house, office and living room far apart and besides I am happy to have the pc out of the living room.

Except it's not an opinion. DF or VGtech counting pixels, frames, milliseconds are facts.

It's not about stealing anything, it's about not running with crap performance and resolution/IQ while paying full/high prices.

Your list of negatives for console is funny. There are no crap ports and tons of games stuck with crap resolutions/IQ and performance and crap HDR???
1. "It's not an opinion" Here you go with your typical PCMR bullshit. Nobody is saying that PC doesn't allow higher resolution, higher settings, or higher framerates. They are stating that they don't care, and that it doesn't make PC a better platform. Everything is subjective and when it comes to taste everything is a fucking opinion and you are one daft cunt if you can't realize that different people have different opinions and tastes that may differ from yours and that it's okay.

There are so many things stated in this thread (and countless others that all devolve into the same shit flinging) that show why people choose the platform they choose. Some people choose PC because mods, or because of stuff like resolution. Some people choose consoles because of ease of use, or simply because they don't give a fuck about anything but the game and the games are good enough.

Their choice in platform has no bearing on ANYONE besides them.

2. Even if we exclude the piracy end of emulation people are still talking about the fact they can play the library of the platform they dislike and therefore making their platform of choice better.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1. "It's not an opinion" Here you go with your typical PCMR bullshit. Nobody is saying that PC doesn't allow higher resolution, higher settings, or higher framerates. They are stating that they don't care, and that it doesn't make PC a better platform. Everything is subjective and when it comes to taste everything is a fucking opinion and you are one daft cunt if you can't realize that different people have different opinions and tastes that may differ from yours and that it's okay.

There are so many things stated in this thread (and countless others that all devolve into the same shit flinging) that show why people choose the platform they choose. Some people choose PC because mods, or because of stuff like resolution. Some people choose consoles because of ease of use, or simply because they don't give a fuck about anything but the game and the games are good enough.

Their choice in platform has no bearing on ANYONE besides them.

2. Even if we exclude the piracy end of emulation people are still talking about the fact they can play the library of the platform they dislike and therefore making their platform of choice better.
Better resolutions, framerate, etc etc are better. Period. If you care or not that is irrelevant for the fact that they are better.

I've made the shift, best decision I've ever made.

Most PC games are more suited towards what I want to play, and I find myself going back to older games more these days. Modern consoles don't have this luxury.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Here's a classic example of my disdain for PCing at times. Tonight for no known reason to man nor beast. My PC decided to lock itself into 8k mode on my 8k TV and refused to allow me to change the active resolution over to 4k 120hz. It would allow 60hz but not 120hz. In the end I had to do a complete clean reinstall of the Nvidia GPU drivers to get it re-recognise the display options properly. Now part of the issue is Nvidia GPU's have had some known issues with Sony TV's and HDMI2.1 implementation. And this will likely be fine again for several months. But its faffing I could do without. I tolerated those kind of quirks for many, many years. But these days I cant be arsed. Its like owning a Ferrari, that may or may not start on that cold winters morning. Yes you know the car, yes you know how to fix it. But you could just jump into your Miata and fuck off with no hassles. And have loads of fun regardless.

Last edited:
Here's a classic example of my disdain for PCing at times. Tonight for no known reason to man nor beast. My PC decided to lock itself into 8k mode on my 8k TV and refused to allow me to change the active resolution over to 4k 120hz. It would allow 60hz but not 120hz. In the end I had to do a complete clean reinstall of the Nvidia GPU drivers to get it re-recognise the display options properly. Now part of the issue is Nvidia GPU's have had some known issues with Sony TV's and HDMI2.1 implementation. And this will likely be fine again for several months. But its faffing I could do without. I tolerated those kind of quirks for many, many years. But these days I cant be arsed. Its like owning a Ferrari, that may or may not start on that cold winters morning. Yes you know the car, yes you know how to fix it. But you could just jump into your Miata and fuck off with no hassles. And have loads of fun regardless.
Be careful, because your experience doesn't matter and you have an agenda behind this post.

And remember some of the greatest games of all time are absolute trash because they were in 480p/30 on the PS2. Avatar is better because it's graphics are amazing and it's 4K/120.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Be careful, because your experience doesn't matter and you have an agenda behind this post.

And remember some of the greatest games of all time are absolute trash because they were in 480p/30 on the PS2. Avatar is better because it's graphics are amazing and it's 4K/120.
Their performance and resolution were always trash. Gladly we can emulate them to be much better.

You use an Android don't you?
That too.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Love pushing a game to the limit with my PC. Super customizable and endless options for whatever you want to do.

Love the ease of use of a console. I turn it on and it’s ready to go 99.9% of the time. Never have to waste time going into settings to figure out why it’s not working as advertised.

Love that the options are there for each. They both have their own pros and cons. Don’t think either is better or worse as a whole. Just depends what your needs are.

bender

What time is it?
Their performance and resolution were always trash. Gladly we can emulate them to be much better.

We?

banana.jpg

rocketleague

Neo Member
I never bought non handeld consoles since I switced to pc. its just miles better in every way.
better graphics, better input lag for competitive games etc, multiple settings you can customize etc.. there just no competition other than the appealing price of the console and sony exclusives.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
rodrigolfp rodrigolfp stop being a dick. You've been a dick this entire thread. You're not trying to have a conversation, you're trying way too hard to put other people's opinions down to lift your own up and the only thing you're achieving is making people remember that you're not worth having a conversation with. At most you end up on a few ignore lists because you seem to be incapable of having a mature conversation that involves opinions that don't align exactly with yours.

Remember: PCMR is supposed to be a joke, and if you make that your personality then you're the joke.

BlackTron

Better resolutions, framerate, etc etc are better. Period. If you care or not that is irrelevant for the fact that they are better.

Fact: PS5 is the largest heaviest game console

Opinion: caring about it one way or the other.

It's also a fact that resolution, framerate etc are better on other consoles than Switch. It's almost as if there are other aspects to what someone considers their best choice than best framerate.

May as well say you have to buy a 4090 now because it's empirically better than what you already have. Cost, form factor, UI, exclusive games, existing ecosystem, what mp friends have, etc can all factor into a well...opinion

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
rodrigolfp rodrigolfp stop being a dick. You've been a dick this entire thread. You're not trying to have a conversation, you're trying way too hard to put other people's opinions down to lift your own up and the only thing you're achieving is making people remember that you're not worth having a conversation with. At most you end up on a few ignore lists because you seem to be incapable of having a mature conversation that involves opinions that don't align exactly with yours.

Remember: PCMR is supposed to be a joke, and if you make that your personality then you're the joke.
There are no opinions being judged here. Stuff I said are better are better for a fact.

May as well say you have to buy a 4090 now because it's empirically better than what you already have. Cost, form factor, UI, exclusive games, existing ecosystem, what mp friends have, etc can all factor into a well...opinion
A 4090 is better than what I have. Is not a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m making the switch myself soon too. I’d be curious to know the tips and tricks of bringing it closer to consoles. I’m getting the last of my hardware for 5800x3d, 6800 build tomorrow and it would be great to hear them.

Crayon

I'm a big proponent of everyone gaming on pc. Not necessarily high performance ones, though. I wish more console players would try plugging that controller into their laptop and making a steam account. I'd say I'm primarily a console gamer, but pc has always been there for me. So from that perspective:

For console people thinking of getting in, one good strat is it let the console be the higher performance machine. There are only so many aaa games and you are already happy with the performance of the console. Save lots of money. Just get a pc that can run last gen games well. A lot of regular laptops can. Then play your aaa games on the ps5 and use the pc to do the things a console can't do. Try some emulators. Mod skyrim. Repurchase some games you loved on gen 7 for 6 bucks and play them at 60fps 1440p. Play the hot indie games before they make it on to console and the ones that never do. Try real strategy games.

I've found the best way to do tv in the family room is to have a separate machine dedicated to it. Just use some basic mini pc or a laptop for your office. I know a some people are going to need a good gpu for production but you are very few. My pc has a 6600xt so think of that as in the ballpark of a ps5, but slower. I could live with less than that. My last gpu was more like a ps4 pro and that level is just fine for a companion gaming machine.

I have a pc hooked up to my tv. You can try to make a small one but I just use a very plain black tower case and it doesn't look any more intrusive than a sub woofer. You can also get small form factor pc's with small cheap gpu's if the look is really an issue. Or even a mini-pc with one of the better amd apu's.

I use linux because it's lower maintenance. Since there is nothing important on it and linux installs are fast, I can wipe it fresh or switch distro whenever I feel like it. Just log back into chrome and it's good.

Having a real browser on tv is fucking awesome by the way. I've used streaming apps on "devices" and it's garbage compared to a real broswer. Just go the the settings and use the scale to make text a little bigger. We use a $12 airmouse to navigate. It has a little keyboard (backlit!) and I have never had to use a normal keyboard or mouse. We can navigate it all with the "remote". My wife loves it. She's not going back to streaming apps, either. The browser is always better.

For bluetooth controllers, I've tried the dualshock5 (suck it) and the Switch pro controller. DS5 works perfect. Pro works great but I need to put it in pairing mode every time I turn it on which is annoying but not terrible. And steam has a glitch that makes you have to turn off the rumble. Just use a playstation controller. I have two controllers for 2-player games but usually I just leave one paired to the pc.

The new big picture mode looks good and modern so it does a pretty good console cosplay.

Overall I couldn't live without it and even though I play more on my ps5, if you were going to take one away from me, I'd keep the pc.

Leonidas

I have both PS5 Digtal/Series X and a powerful PC. PS5 is used for PS+ Extra, when that expires for me soon the PS5 will be for me to play a handful of PS4 exclusives I recently bought along with several PS Classics in my collection. Xbox Series X is used for OG Xbox/360 BC and BRD player.

Playing on PC is great for me for the higher settings and using the controllers I want. I tried some PS5 games on PS Extra and sometimes had to turn it off because the visual quality was lacking...

Another great thing for PC is PS3 BC with RPCS3, something Sony still has not offered in PS5...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The most powerfull machine in my house by a landslide is a pc. Yet most of my gaming time is on a switch, Xbox, and PS5. I favor ease of use and mutiple rooms over power it seems.
Though I am getting more proficient at steam link and other options lately.
Lately using the oled Steam Deck a lot (buy one, it's so worth it).....what is that......PC or console? LOL

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have been a console only gamer for practically my whole life. Recently, I've been finding a lot of reasons to dive into the PC gaming sphere. For example - mods, more indie game options, steam, and MMOs. I'm ready to learn to build a PC and have friends willing to help.

Just would like to know some experiences or the positives of switching from people that have changed.

Also Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Edit - I guess I should rephrase. I'm not saying stop consoles altogether. I just want to know experiences and advantages. I've avoided PC bc they seemed complicated. But I know I just have to learn
I got into Steam/GOG Xmas 2020. The last time I played PC games before that was early 2000s.

I have a new 4070 laptop I got in the summer as my old laptop keyboard was dying and I didn't want to buy an external keyboard, but I dont game as much as I used to. I still play most big games on Xbox as I prefer a gamepad and too lazy to buy a PC gamepad (yet). But my Steam/GOG accounts have lots of cheap casual games at $1-10 each. Never buy full price. Just wait for deals. Chances are pretty good a Steam/GOG game on deal will be cheaper than console on deal. And that even excludes CDKeys (which I dont bother with) which is even cheaper.

GOG for oldies, Steam for newer stuff.

If you enjoy casual games, card and board games, sims and 80s and 90s classics, PC all the way. Thats what I focus on PC.

I cant speak for modern high budget games running on PC, but all the low end stuff I've bought have had ZERO issues installing and playing. The Steam and GOG UI interface makes it easy to install and play. And any ancient game on GOG from DOS/old Windows days are built so it can be installed and played like normal as they handle all the backend workarounds for you.

One thing that sucks about Steam is that it has so many games, even if you filter it best you can or choose the similar games boxes, it can have endless pages of shovelware. There might be great games buried in there but you got to find it. One good way to find games you might like is find a game you like and press on the Dev/Publisher link. Then it'll take you to all the games they have on Steam. A lot of indie studios focus on similar games. So I just found more card/board games they make doing it this way.

Last edited:

VitoNotVito

Apologies, shoulda gave more context.

Nah, I game on PC sporadically. Like BG3 came out this year and I made immediate upgrades. After beating it in September I haven't fired up the PC since.

Just bought a ROG too, but I will always primarily game on consoles where I can play on 75".

Happy Holidays!
You mean Christmas?

Top Bottom