• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Industry analyst Serkan Toto seems to be hinting at a Zelda remake by the end of the year

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Unlikely. Nintendo will want to squeeze out as many Switch sales as they can this Christmas.

Switch 2 reveal is more likely to be in Spring 2024 with a release later that year.

They have done it before, and an announcement of what's likely a more expensive machine won't likely affect sales.
Most buyers left arevsuper casual and aren't the type scouring tech sites for news.
But who knows at this point.

IAmRei

Zelda 1 or 2 will blast for me if its true. Those two are my favorite and kinda nostalgic.

i'm still playing ToTK currently.

also while i cant play switch (cannot play it all the time of course) and had an urge for zelda, i play LoZ with gbc graphic mod.

I kinda in the mood of open world like those games.

Fake

Twilight already have an amazing remaster for Wii U, just port to NS. Maybe Majora? Majoras Mask is my favorite Zelda title of all times.

Caffeine

well ye zelda 2 could use a remake.
what ever happend to that zelda 1 remake they had playing on wii u.

Last edited:

Codes 208

More like an announcement this year and released early next year (kind alike what they did with majoras mask 3D)
Well I'm still expecting a switch 2 reveal before Christmas, so it's probably botw in enhanced form for Switch 2.
Lol, youre setting yourself up for disappointment. No chance in hell they’d announce prior, just to cannibalize their current holiday bundle sales

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
More like an announcement this year and released early next year (kind alike what they did with majoras mask 3D)

Lol, youre setting yourself up for disappointment. No chance in hell they’d announce prior, just to cannibalize their current holiday bundle sales

Switch was announced Oct of 2016 for March 2017 launch. Wii was announced Sept 2006 for a 2007 sept launch. Nintendo 64 announced Nov of 1995. Perhaps not as crazy as you think.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I have sold my Wii U, i only have a switch form Nintendo right now.
The original is still great. The Wii U just had some nice QoL upgrades (faster sailing, streamlined final quest). I guess it depends on your tolerance.

If Toto is right and this is WW though, that would be nice for you.

Codes 208

Switch was announced Oct of 2016 for March 2017 launch. Wii was announced Sept 2006 for a 2007 sept launch. Nintendo 64 announced Nov of 1995. Perhaps not as crazy as you think.
They werent revealed right after bundles for the current selling system were announced and planned out for the holidays though.

It doesn’t make sense that it is basically November, if this was real and coming out this year. Maybe it’s made up, or it gets announced at TGAs and is a 2024 title.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Valid points, but at the time each if those was announced, the system before essentially had no sales momentum left. The Switch could still have a very successful final holiday as Nintendo's flagship, especially with some folks being tempted to upgrade to the OLED.

Then again, to your point, I'm not sure how much a looming successor would cannibalize Switch sales with mainstream consumers.

I hope you're right, but I won't hold my breath. In the same way, I hope the Switch 2 will launch in the first half of the year, but I won't bet against a holiday launch (even though that will make the supply even more constrained).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Your Wii date is wrong. It was announced May 2004 as Revolution. Then the name changed to Wii in April 2006. And it was released in November 2006.

Your Wii dates are way way off, (GCN successor confirmed with a codename E3 '04, released November '06) but no matter. I don't think anything prior to the Switch itself is helpful or usable precedent for predicting when & how Nintendo announces their next platform. It's just an entirely different world now, and news spreads so quickly, and they proved with Switch that the gap in time between unveil and release literally doesn't need to be more than just a couple months.

Last edited:
I have recently been thinking that with how successful the FFVII Remake approach has been for Square, that if Nintendo were to do ever do that amount of work on a reimagained ground-up remake for one of their games, I mean OoT is the one to do it with. For sure.

God imagine the sales for that thing. Far beyond what the original did on N64 back in the 90s.

BlackTron

I was on the phone with my childhood friend who played Mario RPG back in the day and we geeked out over this very topic. Guessing that Nintendo might remaster Ocarina of Time as a launch title along new 3D Mario to make it absolutely impossible to wait for the inevitable hardware revision with an OLED screen. It's too soon for another original Zelda and they have used up too many others already. Their best launches have Zelda so I think they are going to want to have something, it just makes too much sense (which is also exactly why you have to suspect they WON'T do it).

Top Bottom